"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." -- George Carlin

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Email keeps deleting

SubjectAuthor
* Email keeps deletingJim the Geordie
+* Email keeps deletingCarlos E. R.
|`- Email keeps deletingJim the Geordie
+* Email keeps deletingsticks
|`- Email keeps deletingJim the Geordie
+* Email keeps deletingRalph Fox
|`- Email keeps deletingJim the Geordie
+- Email keeps deletingJoerg Lorenz
`* Email keeps deletingJeff Layman
 `* Email keeps deletingCarlos E. R.
  `* Email keeps deletingJim the Geordie
   +* Email keeps deletingJim The Geordie
   |`- Email keeps deletingJeff Layman
   `- Email keeps deletingCarlos E. R.

1
Email keeps deleting

<MPG.3fc8269fa8efbc719896c0@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2079&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2079

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Email keeps deleting
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:54:57 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:54 UTC

Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
IMAP account

One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
Ideas?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ks6je7Fc3tkU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2080&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2080

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Email keeps deleting
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:01:27 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:01 UTC

On 2023-11-22 15:54, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> IMAP account
>
> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> Ideas?

Try disabling spam checks at your ISP.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ujl83v$1cr7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2081&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2081

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:52:30 -0600
 by: sticks - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:52 UTC

On 11/22/2023 8:54 AM, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> IMAP account
>
> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> Ideas?

No idea why it is doing this, but have you tried forwarding the mail to
yourself and seeing if that too gets trashed?

--
Stand With Israel!
NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you,

Re: Email keeps deleting

<fscslilsichmqeq9fkgk4vt33a4jcsfotg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2082&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2082

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 06:16:37 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:16 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:54:57 -0000, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> IMAP account
>
> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> Ideas?

With IMAP, it is probably your mail service provider which is moving
it to the junk/spam folder.

* A while ago I found that if I marked one message as junk in a
discussion thread on outlook.com, outlook.com would insist on
moving every message in that discussion thread to the junk/spam
folder. You have not told us who your mail service provider is,
but that information could be important.

* As Carlos E.R. has already suggested, try disabling spam checks
at your mail service provider.

When you wrote that the email keeps being sent to the “trash” folder,
I presume you meant the junk/spam folder (which has a red flame icon
in TB), not the deleted/bin folder (which has a trash can icon in TB).
Labelling a message as ‘Not Junk’ has nothing to do with the deleted/
bin folder.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ujlfip$1e16c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2083&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2083

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 18:59:53 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:59 UTC

On 22.11.23 15:54, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> IMAP account
>
> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> Ideas?

Did you set a filter in the client or on the server of the e-mail-provider?

Or it could be a oversensitive spam-setting on the server of the
provider. Deactivate the spam-filter on the server.

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: Email keeps deleting

<MPG.3fc9acf8bbaaf60a9896c1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2089&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2089

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:40:32 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:40 UTC

In article <ks6je7Fc3tkU3@mid.individual.net>, robin_listas@es.invalid
says...

> On 2023-11-22 15:54, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> > Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> > IMAP account
> >
> > One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> > NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> > It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> > back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> > Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> > suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> > Ideas?
>
> Try disabling spam checks at your ISP.

Tried that to no avail.
In any case the spam checks are set to a Spam folder and not to Trash.
Ta anyhow

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email keeps deleting

<MPG.3fc9ad981cec9ea89896c2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2090&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2090

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:43:06 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:43 UTC

In article <ujl83v$1cr7i$1@dont-email.me>, wolverine01@charter.net
says...

> On 11/22/2023 8:54 AM, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> > Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> > IMAP account
> >
> > One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> > NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> > It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> > back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> > Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> > suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> > Ideas?
> >

> No idea why it is doing this, but have you tried forwarding the mail to
> yourself and seeing if that too gets trashed?

Forwarding to myself had the same result, but forwarding to my Gmail
account solved the problem for now, but not really a long time solution.
My isp suggested deleting all my filters via cPanel, but that didn't
work.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email keeps deleting

<MPG.3fc9ae5ce4c28af9896c3@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2091&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2091

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:46:27 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:46 UTC

In article <fscslilsichmqeq9fkgk4vt33a4jcsfotg@4ax.com>, -rf-nz-
@-.invalid says...

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:54:57 -0000, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>
> > Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> > IMAP account
> >
> > One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> > NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> > It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> > back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> > Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> > suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> > Ideas?
>

> With IMAP, it is probably your mail service provider which is moving
> it to the junk/spam folder.
>
> * A while ago I found that if I marked one message as junk in a
> discussion thread on outlook.com, outlook.com would insist on
> moving every message in that discussion thread to the junk/spam
> folder. You have not told us who your mail service provider is,
> but that information could be important.
>
> * As Carlos E.R. has already suggested, try disabling spam checks
> at your mail service provider.
>

> When you wrote that the email keeps being sent to the ?trash? folder,
> I presume you meant the junk/spam folder (which has a red flame icon
> in TB), not the deleted/bin folder (which has a trash can icon in TB).
> Labelling a message as ?Not Junk? has nothing to do with the deleted/
> bin folder.

I do mean the Trash folder NOT the spam/junk folder.
My attempts are in my replies to other suggestions here.
When the suggestions by my provider didn't work, they've gone qiet on
me.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ujoc2o$1vb0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2092&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2092

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 20:18:32 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 20:18 UTC

On 22/11/2023 14:54, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> IMAP account
>
> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> Ideas?

Can you use webmail for this mail account? If so, does the same thing
happen as with TB/BB? If so, it looks like there is a filter operating
there, and you should be able to see it and deal with it within webmail.

--

Jeff

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ks9sa1Fc9tfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2094&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2094

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 21:51:13 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 20:51 UTC

On 2023-11-23 21:18, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 22/11/2023 14:54, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
>> IMAP account
>>
>> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
>> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
>> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
>> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
>> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
>> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
>> Ideas?
>
> Can you use webmail for this mail account? If so, does the same thing
> happen as with TB/BB? If so, it looks like there is a filter operating
> there, and you should be able to see it and deal with it within webmail.

For this test, make sure that TB and any other mail app in any machine
or phone are closed.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Email keeps deleting

<MPG.3fca001f9330ed699896c4@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2098&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2098

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:35:21 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:35 UTC

In article <ks9sa1Fc9tfU1@mid.individual.net>, robin_listas@es.invalid
says...

> On 2023-11-23 21:18, Jeff Layman wrote:
> > On 22/11/2023 14:54, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> >> Thunderbird/Betterbird (115.5 (64-bit) on Windows 10)
> >> IMAP account
> >>
> >> One particular email keeps being sent to the trash folder.
> >> NB. It is labelled as 'Not Junk'.
> >> It makes no difference whether I drag it, move it or copy it, it moves
> >> back to the trash folder at the next mailcheck.
> >> Since it is an important email I need to have it on my mobile so the
> >> suggestion of moving it to Local Folders is not an option.
> >> Ideas?
> >
> > Can you use webmail for this mail account? If so, does the same thing
> > happen as with TB/BB? If so, it looks like there is a filter operating
> > there, and you should be able to see it and deal with it within webmail.
>
> For this test, make sure that TB and any other mail app in any machine
> or phone are closed.

Done as you and Jeff suggested. Moved it to Inbox in webmail and it
stuck. It has stayed there since opening B'bird and my mobile client.
I don't understand it.
Will see if it's still there in the morning. Now 12.34 am here.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email keeps deleting

<1p8rmejq51gdf$.3azqn0c9jl7y.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2100&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2100

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim The Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 10:43:11 +0000
 by: Jim The Geordie - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 10:43 UTC

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:35:21 -0000, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> In article <ks9sa1Fc9tfU1@mid.individual.net>, robin_listas@es.invalid
> says...

>>> Can you use webmail for this mail account? If so, does the same thing
>>> happen as with TB/BB? If so, it looks like there is a filter operating
>>> there, and you should be able to see it and deal with it within webmail.
>>
>> For this test, make sure that TB and any other mail app in any machine
>> or phone are closed.
>
> Done as you and Jeff suggested. Moved it to Inbox in webmail and it
> stuck. It has stayed there since opening B'bird and my mobile client.
> I don't understand it.
> Will see if it's still there in the morning. Now 12.34 am here.

Seems to have worked. There were signs of any filters along the way.
Still don't understand why, but I cashed the voucher in the email, so I'll
just have to keep an eye on my trash folder.
--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ksbg5aFq31iU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2102&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2102

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 12:36:10 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:36 UTC

On 2023-11-24 01:35, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <ks9sa1Fc9tfU1@mid.individual.net>, robin_listas@es.invalid
> says...

>>> Can you use webmail for this mail account? If so, does the same thing
>>> happen as with TB/BB? If so, it looks like there is a filter operating
>>> there, and you should be able to see it and deal with it within webmail.
>>
>> For this test, make sure that TB and any other mail app in any machine
>> or phone are closed.
>
> Done as you and Jeff suggested. Moved it to Inbox in webmail and it
> stuck. It has stayed there since opening B'bird and my mobile client.
> I don't understand it.
> Will see if it's still there in the morning. Now 12.34 am here.

I have the foggy memory of one email that would move on its own to some
folder. Long ago. I think what I did in the end was move it to a local
folder. I don't remember if I asked the ISP.

And then the foggy memory could be totally wrong. But in any case,
moving yours to a local folder is a way out.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Email keeps deleting

<ujq929$2b009$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2103&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2103

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 13:39:21 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 13:39 UTC

On 24/11/2023 10:43, Jim The Geordie wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:35:21 -0000, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>
>> In article <ks9sa1Fc9tfU1@mid.individual.net>, robin_listas@es.invalid
>> says...

>>> For this test, make sure that TB and any other mail app in any machine
>>> or phone are closed.
>>
>> Done as you and Jeff suggested. Moved it to Inbox in webmail and it
>> stuck. It has stayed there since opening B'bird and my mobile client.
>> I don't understand it.
>> Will see if it's still there in the morning. Now 12.34 am here.
>
> Seems to have worked. There were signs of any filters along the way.
> Still don't understand why, but I cashed the voucher in the email, so I'll
> just have to keep an eye on my trash folder.

I'm pleased to hear that it seems to have solved the problem. FWIW, it
took me some time to find where some default filters had been set in my
webmail.

Also, there was an issue whereby unread messages were automatically
being sent to the junk folder due to their filtering rules. They were
visible in webmail as being unread in the junk folder, but *not* visible
as being unread when viewed with TB (IMAP). TB was not showing them as a
number in bold font, so I just didn't notice they were there as a new
"spam" message. In fact, the messages weren't spam at all, and my email
provider had to change their filter rules to stop these false positives.

--

Jeff

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Email keeps deleting