System restarting, wait...

computers / alt.comp.freeware / Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?

SubjectAuthor
* What does the following line in Settings mean?Carson
+* Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?Ralph Fox
|`- Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?Carson
`- Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?JJ

1
What does the following line in Settings mean?

<luoq2jho8ksa0qpd3n9s1gv49jai9869sh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20928&group=alt.comp.freeware#20928

From: Carson@dimbulbs.org
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: What does the following line in Settings mean?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:49:18 -0500
 by: Carson@dimbulbs.org - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:49 UTC

"Use a background service to install updates"

I'm using FFx Extended Support Release:. 115.10.0esr with Windows 7
Ultimate.

I have it set to download updates but for manual install by myself.

I don't want updates to auto install.. Updates usually screw things
up badly, and Settings does not seem to give me a choice regarding
downloads. Downloads seem mandatory.

Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?

<hjtq2jhaoerpi0vavrafva1f90c826ffvq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20929&group=alt.comp.freeware#20929

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:04:36 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 22:04 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:49:18 -0500, Carson@dimbulbs.org wrote:

> What does the following line in Settings mean?
> "Use a background service to install updates"

It means it will use the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" to install
updates in the background, without showing the Windows User Account
Control (UAC) dialog.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-mozilla-maintenance-service>

> I'm using FFx Extended Support Release:. 115.10.0esr with Windows 7
> Ultimate.

In Windows 7, go to "Control Program >> Programs and Features" to see
whether or not the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" is installed.

> I have it set to download updates but for manual install by myself.
>
> I don't want updates to auto install.. Updates usually screw things
> up badly, and Settings does not seem to give me a choice regarding
> downloads. Downloads seem mandatory.

If so, you might want to do these two things:

1. Uninstall the "Mozilla Maintenance Service".

2. Next time you update Firefox:
2.1 Choose the option, Custom setup;
2.2 Remove the check-mark from "Install Maintenance Service".

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

To fright a bird is not the way to catch her.

Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?

<v88r2jhlg5m6lteja9lmmhn3ng6fr3ggnd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20930&group=alt.comp.freeware#20930

From: Carson@dimbulbs.org
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:10:17 -0500
 by: Carson@dimbulbs.org - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 01:10 UTC

On Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:04:36 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:49:18 -0500, Carson@dimbulbs.org wrote:
>
>> What does the following line in Settings mean?
>> "Use a background service to install updates"
>
>It means it will use the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" to install
>updates in the background, without showing the Windows User Account
>Control (UAC) dialog.
>
><https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-mozilla-maintenance-service>
>

>> I'm using FFx Extended Support Release:. 115.10.0esr with Windows 7
>> Ultimate.
>
>In Windows 7, go to "Control Program >> Programs and Features" to see
>whether or not the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" is installed.
>

>> I have it set to download updates but for manual install by myself.
>>
>> I don't want updates to auto install.. Updates usually screw things
>> up badly, and Settings does not seem to give me a choice regarding
>> downloads. Downloads seem mandatory.
>
>If so, you might want to do these two things:
>
> 1. Uninstall the "Mozilla Maintenance Service".
>
> 2. Next time you update Firefox:
> 2.1 Choose the option, Custom setup;
> 2.2 Remove the check-mark from "Install Maintenance Service".

Kinda screwed up. I thought I had put this in the Mozilla group.
Whatever, got the right answser anyway.

I changed the settings, plus got rid of the Maintenance Service stuff,
too.

Thanks!

Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?

<11azpwwdej6of.1r7s89m4cnspa.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20932&group=alt.comp.freeware#20932

From: jj4public@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 13:52:11 +0700
 by: JJ - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 06:52 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:49:18 -0500, Carson@dimbulbs.org wrote:
> "Use a background service to install updates"
>
> I'm using FFx Extended Support Release:. 115.10.0esr with Windows 7
> Ultimate.
>
> I have it set to download updates but for manual install by myself.
>
> I don't want updates to auto install.. Updates usually screw things
> up badly, and Settings does not seem to give me a choice regarding
> downloads. Downloads seem mandatory.

The only way to completely (and properly) disable application update is via
Mozilla's Group Policy. (long URL warning)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-group-policy-windows

However, "update" is not same as "check for update". Meaning that, it will
still check for new update, and it _can not_ be disabled whatsoever. The
only workaround is to block access to the update server's domain name using
firewall or HOSTS file. The domain name as of this date, is
`shavar.services.mozilla.com`.

Since I use a local web server for R&D, I use HOSTS file to point that
domain name to the local web server. I found that the update check URL (for
FF v115) is: (long URL warning)

https://shavar.services.mozilla.com/downloads?client=navclient-auto-ffox&appver=115.0&pver=2.2

Funny thing is, when FF can't find the resource (because it doesn't exist in
my local web server), it then tries to do it from _non secure_ URL. i.e. via
`http://`. Even though most people have mandatorized HTTPS.

computers / alt.comp.freeware / Re: What does the following line in Settings mean?