Bones: "The man's DEAD, Jim!"

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / Printing Postscript multiples

SubjectAuthor
* Printing Postscript multiplesRichard Torrens (News)
+* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesPaul Sprangers
|+* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
||`* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesPaul Sprangers
|| `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
||  `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesPaul Sprangers
||   `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesDoug Webb
||    `- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesPaul Sprangers
|+* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesJonathan Conner
||+* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesPaul Sprangers
|||`- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesJonathan Conner
||`* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
|| `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesJonathan Conner
||  `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
||   `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesJonathan Conner
||    +* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
||    |`- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesPaul Sprangers
||    `- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesHarriet Bazley
|`* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesRichard Torrens (News)
| `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
|  `* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesRichard Torrens (News)
|   `- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesBrian Jordan
+* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
|`* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesRichard Torrens (News)
| `- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesChris Hughes
`* Re: Printing Postscript multiplesTheo
 `- Re: Printing Postscript multiplesRichard Torrens (News)

Pages:12
Printing Postscript multiples

<59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2083&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2083

From: News+19074@Torrens.org (Richard Torrens (News))
Subject: Printing Postscript multiples
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:19:37 +0100
 by: Richard Torrens (New - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 09:19 UTC

Every fortnight my wife gets a pdf file to print 15 copies off. She has
problems printing this from her Macbook Lite.

So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

So I have used PDFUtils: *pdftops <filename> creates a PostScript file. If
I drop this on the Printer icon I get one perfect printout.

But how can I print 15 off?

The .ps file is 5MB and takes a significant time to get to the printer.
Yes, I can drop it on the printer icon 15 times and wait. But that's a
pain, and a long job!

This is using a Brother duplex printer with Richard Darby's definition
file.
http://www.rjdarby.co.uk/riscos/

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+number@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2084&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2084

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Subject: Re: Printing Postscript multiples
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:35:31 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:35 UTC

In article <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>,
Richard Torrens (News) <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

http://www.riscos.info/packages/DocumentDetails.html#PDF

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers

--
http://riscos.sprie.nl

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<fdabb4cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2085&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2085

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:08:55 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:08 UTC

In message <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>
"Richard Torrens (News)" <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

> Every fortnight my wife gets a pdf file to print 15 copies off. She has
> problems printing this from her Macbook Lite.

> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

Have you checked the Printer setup options with !PDFTest ?

Have you checked your RISC OS printers page size and graphics margins?

Don't forget you can export from !PDFTest a new Postscript file or even
another PDF, menu over the PDF

--
Chris Hughes
Don't miss this years Wakefield Show 21st May 2022 - we have move to
check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<2f39b4cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2086&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2086

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:04:01 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:04 UTC

In message <59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

> In article <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>,
> Richard Torrens (News) <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

>> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

> Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
> perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

> http://www.riscos.info/packages/DocumentDetails.html#PDF

!PDFTest is an enhanced version of !PDF with more facilities

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<8e3db6cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2087&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2087

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: jcc@arcady.plus.com (Jonathan Conner)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:26:03 +0100
 by: Jonathan Conner - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:26 UTC

In message <59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

> In article <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>,
> Richard Torrens (News) <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

>> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

> Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
> perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

> http://www.riscos.info/packages/DocumentDetails.html#PDF

Excellent - but how do I persuade it to print duplex, please?

What I need is to print four A5 pages as a pamphlet on to A4. It does the
setup beautifully but will only produce two separate sheets.

Regards,

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Conner (ZFC G) on an iMX6 with RISC OS 5

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59cfb9447ePaul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2088&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2088

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:59:07 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:59 UTC

In article <8e3db6cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>,
Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

> Excellent - but how do I persuade it to print duplex, please?

Duplex printing is usually set by the printer driver - or directly on the
printer itself. However...

> What I need is to print four A5 pages as a pamphlet on to A4. It does the
> setup beautifully but will only produce two separate sheets.

!PDF has a pamphlet option in the Print menu. Make sure that you haven't
set duplex printing on the printer driver and start printing. Half way, the
program will ask you to turn the paper over. Ready. (That is, I had to
experiment a bit as to how exactly the paper should be turned over, but
pamphlet printing is surely possible.)

Kind regards,

http://riscos.sprie.nl

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<636bbacf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2089&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2089

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:11:42 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:11 UTC

In message <8e3db6cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

> In message <59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>
> Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

>> In article <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>,
>> Richard Torrens (News) <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

>>> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

>> Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
>> perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

>> http://www.riscos.info/packages/DocumentDetails.html#PDF

> Excellent - but how do I persuade it to print duplex, please?

> What I need is to print four A5 pages as a pamphlet on to A4. It does the
> setup beautifully but will only produce two separate sheets.

Err goto to the print option from the menu over the document, and tick the
"Double sided printing" I would think. Obviously your printer driver must
also support double sided printing.

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<dwE*MDbKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2090&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2090

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: 27 Mar 2022 13:50:35 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:50 UTC

"Richard Torrens (News)" <News+19074@torrens.org> wrote:
> Every fortnight my wife gets a pdf file to print 15 copies off. She has
> problems printing this from her Macbook Lite.
>
> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.
>
> So I have used PDFUtils: *pdftops <filename> creates a PostScript file. If
> I drop this on the Printer icon I get one perfect printout.
>
> But how can I print 15 off?
>
> The .ps file is 5MB and takes a significant time to get to the printer.
> Yes, I can drop it on the printer icon 15 times and wait. But that's a
> pain, and a long job!

According to:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1890591/postscript-number-of-copies

You want a
/#copies 15

command in a
%%BeginProlog
%%BeginSetup
%%EndSetup
%%EndProlog

section, which presumably already exists in your file.

(which is not to say there isn't a better way using the printing system
rather than hacking the Postscript)

Theo

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<5e9cbdcf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2091&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2091

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: jcc@arcady.plus.com (Jonathan Conner)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:46:33 +0100
 by: Jonathan Conner - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:46 UTC

In message <59cfb9447ePaul@sprie.nl>
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

> In article <8e3db6cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>,
> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

>> Excellent - but how do I persuade it to print duplex, please?

> Duplex printing is usually set by the printer driver - or directly on the
> printer itself. However...

>> What I need is to print four A5 pages as a pamphlet on to A4. It does the
>> setup beautifully but will only produce two separate sheets.

> !PDF has a pamphlet option in the Print menu. Make sure that you haven't
> set duplex printing on the printer driver and start printing. Half way, the
> program will ask you to turn the paper over. Ready. (That is, I had to
> experiment a bit as to how exactly the paper should be turned over, but
> pamphlet printing is surely possible.)

Thank you - fine for the odd copy but not for a batch. At the moment I
email the PDF to my PC and it prints the pamphlet as required to the same
network printer.

--
Jonathan Conner (ZFC G) on an iMX6 with RISC OS 5

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<9d68bdcf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2092&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2092

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: jcc@arcady.plus.com (Jonathan Conner)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:44:21 +0100
 by: Jonathan Conner - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:44 UTC

In message <636bbacf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <8e3db6cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

>> In message <59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>
>> Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

>>> Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
>>> perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

>>> http://www.riscos.info/packages/DocumentDetails.html#PDF

>> Excellent - but how do I persuade it to print duplex, please?

>> What I need is to print four A5 pages as a pamphlet on to A4. It does the
>> setup beautifully but will only produce two separate sheets.

> Err goto to the print option from the menu over the document, and tick the
> "Double sided printing" I would think. Obviously your printer driver must
> also support double sided printing.

O.K., I did that and selected 'Pamphlet' but still two separate sheets. I
can email the PDF file to the PC and it works fine to the same network
printer. I'm using the Postscript 2 printer option on the iMX6 and
printing to the file as normal. Obviously getting something wrong
somewhere.

--
Jonathan Conner (ZFC G) on an iMX6 with RISC OS 5

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<6d77bfcf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2093&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2093

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 14:06:50 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:06 UTC

In message <9d68bdcf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

> In message <636bbacf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <8e3db6cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
>> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

>>> Excellent - but how do I persuade it to print duplex, please?

>>> What I need is to print four A5 pages as a pamphlet on to A4. It does the
>>> setup beautifully but will only produce two separate sheets.

>> Err goto to the print option from the menu over the document, and tick the
>> "Double sided printing" I would think. Obviously your printer driver must
>> also support double sided printing.

> O.K., I did that and selected 'Pamphlet' but still two separate sheets. I
> can email the PDF file to the PC and it works fine to the same network
> printer. I'm using the Postscript 2 printer option on the iMX6 and
> printing to the file as normal. Obviously getting something wrong
> somewhere.

So you are using a network printer? Ok then why are you using Postscript 2
? You need to send it your printer direct as the Postscript 2 driver does
not actually support flipping the page for duplex (Double sided printing).

Does your printer support PCL5 or 6 or even better Postscript/Bscript,
etc.? What model/make of printer is it.

Richard Darby has various Duplex drivers that can used with your network
printer - available via !Store they are free.

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<3ccbc8cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2094&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2094

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
From: jcc@arcady.plus.com (Jonathan Conner)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 15:48:42 +0100
 by: Jonathan Conner - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 14:48 UTC

In message <6d77bfcf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <9d68bdcf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

>> In message <636bbacf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Err goto to the print option from the menu over the document, and tick the
>>> "Double sided printing" I would think. Obviously your printer driver must
>>> also support double sided printing.

>> O.K., I did that and selected 'Pamphlet' but still two separate sheets. I
>> can email the PDF file to the PC and it works fine to the same network
>> printer. I'm using the Postscript 2 printer option on the iMX6 and
>> printing to the file as normal. Obviously getting something wrong
>> somewhere.

> So you are using a network printer? Ok then why are you using Postscript 2
> ? You need to send it your printer direct as the Postscript 2 driver does
> not actually support flipping the page for duplex (Double sided printing).

> Does your printer support PCL5 or 6 or even better Postscript/Bscript,
> etc.? What model/make of printer is it.

Kyocera Ecosys P5026

> Richard Darby has various Duplex drivers that can used with your network
> printer - available via !Store they are free.

Installed that. However, it seems that I still have to flip the paper
manually. If I don't set Print Both Sides and from that Pamphlet then it
does proper Duplex but not the Pamphlet. Hmm. Either I'm doing something
very wrong or I can have Duplex but not Pamphlet or Pamphlet and not
Duplex.

Comments please.

--
Jonathan Conner (ZFC G) on an iMX6 with RISC OS 5

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<3e80d2cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2095&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2095

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:34:44 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:34 UTC

In message <3ccbc8cf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

> In message <6d77bfcf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <9d68bdcf59.JCCArc@arcady.plus.com>
>> Jonathan Conner <jcc@arcady.plus.com> wrote:

>>> O.K., I did that and selected 'Pamphlet' but still two separate sheets. I
>>> can email the PDF file to the PC and it works fine to the same network
>>> printer. I'm using the Postscript 2 printer option on the iMX6 and
>>> printing to the file as normal. Obviously getting something wrong
>>> somewhere.

>> So you are using a network printer? Ok then why are you using Postscript 2
>> ? You need to send it your printer direct as the Postscript 2 driver does
>> not actually support flipping the page for duplex (Double sided printing).

>> Does your printer support PCL5 or 6 or even better Postscript/Bscript,
>> etc.? What model/make of printer is it.

> Kyocera Ecosys P5026

I nice printer, just looked up the specs (I also have a Kyocera).

Yours has PCL 6 (PCL 5c/PCL-XL), Postscript 3 (KPDL 3)

KPDL is Kyocera version of Postscript (to save on the rather high licence
fees)

>> Richard Darby has various Duplex drivers that can used with your network
>> printer - available via !Store they are free.

> Installed that. However, it seems that I still have to flip the paper
> manually. If I don't set Print Both Sides and from that Pamphlet then it
> does proper Duplex but not the Pamphlet. Hmm. Either I'm doing something
> very wrong or I can have Duplex but not Pamphlet or Pamphlet and not
> Duplex.

Hmm not sure what going on here, sounds like a conflict of instructions to
the printer maybe.

In the printer driver have you set Double sided printing on the RISC OS
side.

Actually looking at !PDF print configuration (which I admit is somewhat
poor) to the right of the option to double sided printing, is a SETUP
button and within that is a turn the paper over option, plus landscape
options which you might need to use. You could try that.

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<cc42d4cf59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2096&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2096

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:53:57 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:53 UTC

On 27 Mar 2022 as I do recall,
Jonathan Conner wrote:

> In message <6d77bfcf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > Richard Darby has various Duplex drivers that can used with your network
> > printer - available via !Store they are free.
>
> Installed that. However, it seems that I still have to flip the paper
> manually. If I don't set Print Both Sides and from that Pamphlet then it
> does proper Duplex but not the Pamphlet. Hmm. Either I'm doing something
> very wrong or I can have Duplex but not Pamphlet or Pamphlet and not
> Duplex.

If you wangle the setup right it should be possible to print multiple
copies in pamphlet format while flipping the pages manually (I've
certainly done it from Impression in the past) - but you do have to get
the flip axis and page sort order set right out of at least 4 potential
combinations depending on your specific printer....

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59cfd97751Paul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2097&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2097

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:50:49 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:50 UTC

In article <3e80d2cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In the printer driver have you set Double sided printing on the RISC OS
> side

You should really turn this OFF for pamphlet printing. !PDF is taking care
for double sided printing, by letting you turn the papers manually at some
point. You probably need to tick the 'landscape' printing in the setup
menu. It's a bit of experimenting, but PDF pamphlet printing can certainly
be done.

Kind regards,

http://riscos.sprie.nl

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d2c65bb6news*@Torrens.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2103&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2103

From: News+19084@Torrens.org (Richard Torrens (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:10:43 +0100
 by: Richard Torrens (New - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 10:10 UTC

In article <59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>,
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:
> In article <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>,
> Richard Torrens (News) <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

> > So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

> Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
> perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

As I said
> > !PDFtest prints it, but not quite to scale.

The edges are slightly clipped. !PDFtest was the first thing I tried.

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+number@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<f490c8d259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2104&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2104

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:34:50 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 10:34 UTC

In message <59d2c65bb6news*@Torrens.org>
"Richard Torrens (News)" <News+19084@Torrens.org> wrote:

> In article <59cfb19cffPaul@sprie.nl>,
> Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:
>> In article <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>,
>> Richard Torrens (News) <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

>>> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

>> Is there any reason why you don't use !PDF? As far as I know, it prints
>> perfectly to scale, while you can specify any number of copies.

> As I said
>>> !PDFtest prints it, but not quite to scale.

> The edges are slightly clipped. !PDFtest was the first thing I tried.

Within !PDFTest > Print > Setup > Try ticking either or both the "Scale to
Fit" and/or "Use Paper margins" Remember to click on Set for that session
or Save to keep those settings.

See if that fixes your issue.

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d2c8798enews*@Torrens.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2105&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2105

From: News+19084@Torrens.org (Richard Torrens (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:33:50 +0100
 by: Richard Torrens (New - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 10:33 UTC

In article <fdabb4cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>
> "Richard Torrens (News)" <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

> > Every fortnight my wife gets a pdf file to print 15 copies off. She has
> > problems printing this from her Macbook Lite.

> > So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

> Have you checked the Printer setup options with !PDFTest ?

No. But !PDFtest has no paper size option. It has a variable scale.

> Have you checked your RISC OS printers page size and graphics margins?

No. Text margins are already zero. I will have to experiment with
Graphics margins.

> Don't forget you can export from !PDFTest a new Postscript file or even
> another PDF, menu over the PDF

Indeed. Not sure how exporting a ps file would help though. It might show
me how to edit the file to add Theo's "/#copies 15".

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+number@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d2c8c9d1news*@Torrens.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2106&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2106

From: News+19084@Torrens.org (Richard Torrens (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:37:15 +0100
 by: Richard Torrens (New - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 10:37 UTC

In article <dwE*MDbKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > But how can I print 15 off?
> >
> > The .ps file is 5MB and takes a significant time to get to the printer.
> > Yes, I can drop it on the printer icon 15 times and wait. But that's a
> > pain, and a long job!

> According to:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1890591/postscript-number-of-copies

> You want a
> /#copies 15

> command in a
> %%BeginProlog
> %%BeginSetup
> %%EndSetup
> %%EndProlog

> section, which presumably already exists in your file.

> (which is not to say there isn't a better way using the printing system
> rather than hacking the Postscript)

HelloTheo

The ps file is not quite as the link says. There are two separate sections

%%BeginProlog
---
%%EndProlog

%%BeginSetup
%%EndSetup

However - I will experiment! Thanks.

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+number@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<f5fed6d259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2107&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2107

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 14:12:26 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 13:12 UTC

In message <59d2c8798enews*@Torrens.org>
"Richard Torrens (News)" <News+19084@Torrens.org> wrote:

> In article <fdabb4cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <59cfaaaa29news*@Torrens.org>
>> "Richard Torrens (News)" <News+19074@Torrens.org> wrote:

>>> Every fortnight my wife gets a pdf file to print 15 copies off. She has
>>> problems printing this from her Macbook Lite.

>>> So I use RiscOS. !PDFtest primts it, but not quite to scale.

>> Have you checked the Printer setup options with !PDFTest ?

> No. But !PDFtest has no paper size option. It has a variable scale.

It uses whatever your printer drivers configured Page size is and graphics
margins.

I tend to use A4 (Generic PS) - thats the page size name.
Page size 209.9 mm width 297.0 mm Height

Graphics margins 8.1 mm top and bottom
6.3 mm left and right.

>> Have you checked your RISC OS printers page size and graphics margins?

> No. Text margins are already zero. I will have to experiment with
> Graphics margins.

nearly everything nowadays uses the graphics margins for actual printing
of documents including PDF's

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d3cbe2d4news*@Torrens.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2111&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2111

From: News+19086@Torrens.org (Richard Torrens (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 10:47:17 +0100
 by: Richard Torrens (New - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:47 UTC

In article <f490c8d259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> Within !PDFTest > Print > Setup > Try ticking either or both the "Scale
> to Fit" and/or "Use Paper margins" Remember to click on Set for that
> session or Save to keep those settings.

> See if that fixes your issue.

Yes - ticking "Use Paper margins" does the trick. Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no Help available from the icon bar, and the
Application's Help doesn't. So what the difference is remains a mystery!

Also !PDFTest appears to be no longer on
https://www.riscosports.co.uk/vfp/
aka
https://www.cgransden.co.uk/

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+number@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d3d476a4brian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2112&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2112

From: brian.jordan9@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 12:20:59 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:20 UTC

In article <59d3cbe2d4news*@Torrens.org>,
Richard Torrens (News) <News+19086@Torrens.org> wrote:

[Snip]

> Also !PDFTest appears to be no longer on
> https://www.riscosports.co.uk/vfp/
> aka
> https://www.cgransden.co.uk/

It's a bit tucked away...

https://www.cgransden.co.uk/downloads.html

The 10th item listed 'Latest alpha version of !PDF' links to a zip file
'pdftest/zip' wherein resides the app '!PDFtest'. When loaded PDF - >info
reveals 'Version 3.03.1.25alpha 8 (20 May 2013)'

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 (16-Dec-20) on Raspberry Pi

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d3da50d7Paul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2113&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2113

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 14:24:54 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:24 UTC

In article <2f39b4cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> !PDFTest is an enhanced version of !PDF with more facilities

But it doesn't run on my 4té (Pi4). It freezes the machine while loading,
without any error message.

http://riscos.sprie.nl

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<169be0d359.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2114&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2114

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 14:33:36 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

In message <59d3da50d7Paul@sprie.nl>
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

> In article <2f39b4cf59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> !PDFTest is an enhanced version of !PDF with more facilities

> But it doesn't run on my 4té (Pi4). It freezes the machine while loading,
> without any error message.

try this version, It requires VFP which you should have on your Pi4

https://www.riscosports.co.uk/vfp/pdftest.zip

This is 3.03.1.25alpha 9 (22 Aug 2015)

The Help file is within the application, it just lists the changes to each
version.

For some odd reason the link above is missing from the Vfp Download page
of Chris Gransden webpage.

I am using this version happily on my ARMX6 and have been for a long time.

check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: Printing Postscript multiples

<59d3e5833bPaul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2115&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#2115

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 16:27:12 +0200 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:27 UTC

In article <169be0d359.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> try this version, It requires VFP which you should have on your Pi4
> https://www.riscosports.co.uk/vfp/pdftest.zip

This version doesn't freeze the machine, but it doesn't run either. Nothing
visible happens at all.

How do I control if VFP is on my computer? In the SharedLibs.lib.abi-2/0
directory, there's a VFP subdirectory with a lot of files.

http://riscos.sprie.nl