From: grailking@hole.net (GrailKing)
Subject: Question on some things I ran into with Ububtu 22.04 64B on a Pi
400.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 07:08:16 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Mon, 9 May 2022 07:08 UTC

Mainly two actually, one having nothing to do with the Pi.

Firstly after a little misstep ( little aggressive in the over clock
dept )I have Ubuntu running fairly well, I still can't do Kodi on it with
Ubuntu installed, not enough ram; ram and cpu does get Taxed.

For info on what was going on I started with Hard info, but do to a crash
changed to Glances as it was less stress on the cpu.

I then dialed back my Over clocked numbers: Freqency-2147, Voltage 7, gpu
- 750 and GPU mem- 125.

Most part runs smooth,loads quicker, the CPU temperature never went past
40C, memory though with only 4 G was up there: with Pan, it's editor,
Librewolf with 2 or 3 tabs and one of those taps playing 720 P video,
Glances giving info the ram used hung around 67-85 %, the CPU
though ...Min: 67% Max : 98%

Also not an expert, I assume wgpia0 is the graphic part of the system and
not my VPN, hits 100 when I play a video in YT.The videos are smooth and
prior to OC I saw 40 to 50 % dropped frames, after OC I had 5% or less .

?1.... prior to the overclock crash, everything ran ok; slow on somethings
but OK, I could play YT videos fine ( even with dropped frames ) in
Vivaldi, they played. After the crash, I totally re-imaged the SD card and
started fresh, but this time if I run Vivaldi I get"Vivaldi lacks a
sutible component to play HTML5 Proprietary media (H264/AAc).

I found some suggestions to fix it, but even after a fresh new install of
system and program I can't play YT videos, works in Chromium, works in
Librewolf and My first install on a 32GB card runs fine, not on the 64 B
when it did prior to the crash.

Where else should I look?

Now the other question - I upgraded to POP OS 22.04 in the LR media
computer, using synaptic, I tried to install Kodi DEB file and it wouldn't
install, removed, purge etc nope, went through the POP store and it looks
like they made it a flat pack, now Kodi works, I then learned there is
no .kodi file, they moved .Kodi to: .Var/app/tv.kodi.kodi/ and
changed .kodi to just data folder, so I asked what if I renamed my .kodi
folder to Data ? yeah it worked, though some apps that use to work no
longer do for reasons not in my control

The ?: why can't I not have a hidden folder ? I tried to put a movie in
a .adult folder and it won't go, Kodi doesn't see it and yes I ticked the
show hidden file, yet if I make it a normal folder it will put the movie
in it doesn't matter if I used home/computer name/.adult or home/.adult
won't store it or see the folder unless it's a normal folder.

Sorry for the length, and thanks for any help / understanding.

Re: Question on some things I ran into with Ububtu 22.04 64B on a Pi 400.

<t5b40b$qgj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2069

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
400.
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:12:42 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 9 May 2022 13:12 UTC

On 5/9/2022 3:08 AM, GrailKing wrote:
> Mainly two actually, one having nothing to do with the Pi.
>
> Firstly after a little misstep ( little aggressive in the over clock
> dept )I have Ubuntu running fairly well, I still can't do Kodi on it with
> Ubuntu installed, not enough ram; ram and cpu does get Taxed.
>
> For info on what was going on I started with Hard info, but do to a crash
> changed to Glances as it was less stress on the cpu.
>
> I then dialed back my Over clocked numbers: Freqency-2147, Voltage 7, gpu
> - 750 and GPU mem- 125.
>
> Most part runs smooth,loads quicker, the CPU temperature never went past
> 40C, memory though with only 4 G was up there: with Pan, it's editor,
> Librewolf with 2 or 3 tabs and one of those taps playing 720 P video,
> Glances giving info the ram used hung around 67-85 %, the CPU
> though ...Min: 67% Max : 98%
>
> Also not an expert, I assume wgpia0 is the graphic part of the system and
> not my VPN, hits 100 when I play a video in YT.The videos are smooth and
> prior to OC I saw 40 to 50 % dropped frames, after OC I had 5% or less .
>
> ?1.... prior to the overclock crash, everything ran ok; slow on somethings
> but OK, I could play YT videos fine ( even with dropped frames ) in
> Vivaldi, they played. After the crash, I totally re-imaged the SD card and
> started fresh, but this time if I run Vivaldi I get"Vivaldi lacks a
> sutible component to play HTML5 Proprietary media (H264/AAc).
>
> I found some suggestions to fix it, but even after a fresh new install of
> system and program I can't play YT videos, works in Chromium, works in
> Librewolf and My first install on a 32GB card runs fine, not on the 64 B
> when it did prior to the crash.
>
> Where else should I look?
>

> Now the other question - I upgraded to POP OS 22.04 in the LR media
> computer, using synaptic, I tried to install Kodi DEB file and it wouldn't
> install, removed, purge etc nope, went through the POP store and it looks
> like they made it a flat pack, now Kodi works, I then learned there is
> no .kodi file, they moved .Kodi to: .Var/app/tv.kodi.kodi/ and
> changed .kodi to just data folder, so I asked what if I renamed my .kodi
> folder to Data ? yeah it worked, though some apps that use to work no
> longer do for reasons not in my control
>
> The ?: why can't I not have a hidden folder ? I tried to put a movie in
> a .adult folder and it won't go, Kodi doesn't see it and yes I ticked the
> show hidden file, yet if I make it a normal folder it will put the movie
> in it doesn't matter if I used home/computer name/.adult or home/.adult
> won't store it or see the folder unless it's a normal folder.
>
> Sorry for the length, and thanks for any help / understanding.

Your signs point to a lack of GPU acceleration.

Find a tutorial about enabling it. This won't be exactly the
right one for you, but at least you can see the flavor of
what is being attempted.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/rpi4-ubuntu-mate-hw-video-acceleration.html

On a regular distro, you'd use a Driver Manager, inxi -G,
glxgears (to test OpenGL acceleration) with vsync off, and then a video
test, to see the CPU stays a lot lower than 100%. You can have
OpenGL acceleration, with no video decoder whatsoever -- a recently
released cheesy AMD video card, offers this (the one with a "mobile"
chip on a desktop video card).

Any time a video playback sucks down 100% CPU, you know the team
isn't working together. I see this all the time in virtual
machines, so demos of this sort of trouble are never far away.

If you look at the decode matrix here, you get some idea
of the evolution of decoding support in hardware. At one
time, there was only IDCT (matrix math, helps a little).
Then portions of video got support, but the CPU still
did a lot. After a while though, the hardware could do
DMA and practically play the whole video with no help
whatsoever. The CPU only runs the disk drive then.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

Video decoding hardware still uses electricity, so
the GPU method isn't magical. But, it does represent
a bit of a savings.

On Intel integrated graphics, the accelerated decoder is powerful
enough to decode five movies at the same time.

Your first research topic, will be to see whether they put
a decent GPU on the Pi SOC. Usually ARM processors are paired
with some level of GPU acceleration, so I don't think you're stuck
with just a frame buffer. But every hardware has limits. As the
Pi processor goes for a relatively low price, and you would not
expect 10 billion transistors in there.

Paul

Re: Question on some things I ran into with Ububtu 22.04 64B on a Pi 400.

<DwveK.10276$RWva.6507@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2072&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2072

From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
400.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 15:28:35 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:28 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 09:12:42 -0400, Paul wrote:

> On 5/9/2022 3:08 AM, GrailKing wrote:
>> Mainly two actually, one having nothing to do with the Pi.
< snip>
>> folder.
>>
>> Sorry for the length, and thanks for any help / understanding.
< snip>
> low price, and you would not expect 10 billion transistors in there.
>
> Paul

I got some reading to do LOL.

Thanks.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Question on some things I ran into with Ububtu 22.04 64B on a Pi 400.