From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: 15.3 Install Problems
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:12:58 +0200
 by: Andrew - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:12 UTC

I have just *Updated* a system previously running under Leap 15.2 to
15.3 and I came across a very strange show-stopper bug along with a
minor problem.

The minor problem first. With all preceding levels, setting the
Language and Keyboard (via F2) meant that the install worked with these
settings. With 15.3 I had to make the same changes again later.

Now the showstopper.
I use a 4k monitor, shared between two machines. 4k is 3840 x 2160
although I have things set up to run at QHD = 2560 x 1440. Both
machines work the same way, both use HDMI.
One of them - AMD Radeon Vega 8 on board - was updated to 15.3 a few
days after it was released. Some minor problems but nothing serious.

Today it was the turn of the other one, AMD Radeon R7 on board. The
update got to "Hardware Detection", when that was done there were a
succession of multiline texts in the top left and then the screen went
grey. This was "I have nothing to display" grey, not "No signal" grey.
The last thing I saw before the greyscreen was something like "Sampling
every 5 <something-or-other>" and then it was gone. I'd have to video
it and hit "pause" to know more.

Trying it again made no difference.
Then I hooked an older 1680 x 1050 monitor up and performed the install
with no real problems. When the process was almost finished I hooked
the 4k monitor up again, and disconnected the other monitor during the
reboot process. Everything worked as it should, immediately.

My guess is that the Radeon R7 is too slow for something, although the
monitor says it is running at 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz.

I bought the monitor long after I installed Leap 15.2 on this machine.

Re: 15.3 Install Problems

<c4kuqh-buv.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=201&group=alt.os.linux.suse#201

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: 15.3 Install Problems
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:53:00 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:53 UTC

On 30/06/2021 16.12, Andrew wrote:
> I have just *Updated* a system previously running under Leap 15.2 to
> 15.3 and I came across a very strange show-stopper bug along with a
> minor problem.
>
> The minor problem first.  With all preceding levels, setting the
> Language and Keyboard (via F2) meant that the install worked with these
> settings.  With 15.3 I had to make the same changes again later.

Huh. If you have to setup the language, you are not "updating", you are
installing again with a new version, that needs you to setup up things
again.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: 15.3 Install Problems

<sbimni$sef$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=202&group=alt.os.linux.suse#202

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:12:20 +0200
 by: Andrew - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:12 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 30/06/2021 16.12, Andrew wrote:
>> I have just *Updated* a system previously running under Leap 15.2 to
>> 15.3 and I came across a very strange show-stopper bug along with a
>> minor problem.
>>
>> The minor problem first.  With all preceding levels, setting the
>> Language and Keyboard (via F2) meant that the install worked with
>> these settings.  With 15.3 I had to make the same changes again later.
>
> Huh. If you have to setup the language, you are not "updating", you are
> installing again with a new version, that needs you to setup up things
> again.

All of the other settings remained as they should, this was definitely
an update. I may have changed the install language (from US to UK) but
the keyboard layout was definitely not what it was supposed to be. Not
a big deal and trivial to change.
The fact that this machine could not handle my monitor - although
another machine had no problems with the same monitor - was a much
bigger deal.

Re: 15.3 Install Problems

<sbk20n$br2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=203&group=alt.os.linux.suse#203

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 11:31:04 +0200
 by: Andrew - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 09:31 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 30/06/2021 16.12, Andrew wrote:
>> I have just *Updated* a system previously running under Leap 15.2 to
>> 15.3 and I came across a very strange show-stopper bug along with a
>> minor problem.
>>
>> The minor problem first.  With all preceding levels, setting the
>> Language and Keyboard (via F2) meant that the install worked with
>> these settings.  With 15.3 I had to make the same changes again later.
>
> Huh. If you have to setup the language, you are not "updating", you are
> installing again with a new version, that needs you to setup up things
> again.

Now I know what the misconception is: When I perform an update to a new
level, I do it from a dvd. You use a different method.

Re: 15.3 Install Problems

<8ul0rh-01c.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=204&group=alt.os.linux.suse#204

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:36:08 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 11:36 UTC

On 30/06/2021 23.12, Andrew wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 30/06/2021 16.12, Andrew wrote:
>>> I have just *Updated* a system previously running under Leap 15.2 to
>>> 15.3 and I came across a very strange show-stopper bug along with a
>>> minor problem.
>>>
>>> The minor problem first.  With all preceding levels, setting the
>>> Language and Keyboard (via F2) meant that the install worked with
>>> these settings.  With 15.3 I had to make the same changes again later.
>>
>> Huh. If you have to setup the language, you are not "updating", you
>> are installing again with a new version, that needs you to setup up
>> things again.
>>

> All of the other settings remained as they should, this was definitely
> an update.

Sorry, but by definition, if you pass the installation screen, you are
not doing an update.

There are two recognized methods:

Online Upgrade: change the repos and run zypper dup.

Offline Upgrade: Boot the installation media, and on the first menu
choose "upgrade existing system".

--
Cheers, Carlos.