No one can guarantee the actions of another. -- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

computers / alt.windows7.general / How does one remove programs?

SubjectAuthor
* How does one remove programs?Steve Hayes
+* Re: How does one remove programs?David E. Ross
|`- Re: How does one remove programs?Steve Hayes
+* Re: How does one remove programs?Aoli
|+* Re: How does one remove programs?Stan Brown
||`* Re: How does one remove programs?Roger Mills
|| `* Re: How does one remove programs?Merle
||  `* Re: How does one remove programs?Java Jive
||   `* Re: How does one remove programs?Merle
||    `- Re: How does one remove programs?Merle
|`- Re: How does one remove programs?s|b
`- Re: How does one remove programs?Stan Brown

1
How does one remove programs?

<6rklfgpp0r2u4kjjdsog9d4o4fcpos2p3a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2014&group=alt.windows7.general#2014

From: hayesstw@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: How does one remove programs?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:36:03 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 14:36 UTC

Where does one find the "Add and Remove Programs" service in Win 7?

My computer seems to keep getting foistware, which I would like to0
remove.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: How does one remove programs?

<sdekbl$9q6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2015&group=alt.windows7.general#2015

From: not_me@not_there.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: How does one remove programs?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 07:39:49 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 14:39 UTC

On 7/23/2021 7:36 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> Where does one find the "Add and Remove Programs" service in Win 7?
>
> My computer seems to keep getting foistware, which I would like to0
> remove.

[Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features]

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

At the recent Conservative Political Action Conference in Texas,
a featured speaker urged the mostly Republican attendees to
avoid COVID-19 vaccines. Good! There will be fewer live
Republican voters in 2022.

Re: How does one remove programs?

<sdfi7r$1bl7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2019&group=alt.windows7.general#2019

From: Aoli@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:09:43 -0700
 by: Aoli - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 23:09 UTC

You might consider Revo Uninstaller Free.
I have used it for years and it has never failed me.

Steve Hayes wrote:
> Where does one find the "Add and Remove Programs" service in Win 7?
>
> My computer seems to keep getting foistware, which I would like to0
> remove.

Re: How does one remove programs?

<f32nfgthfshua2l63lqi4aa13sh8djc4cg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2023&group=alt.windows7.general#2023

From: hayesstw@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 05:27:49 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 03:27 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 07:39:49 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<not_me@not_there.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/23/2021 7:36 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> Where does one find the "Add and Remove Programs" service in Win 7?
>>
>> My computer seems to keep getting foistware, which I would like to0
>> remove.
>>

>[Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features]

Thanks - looked under Admin and a few other places.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: How does one remove programs?

<MPG.3b65f11a6c49b06298fdf4@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2029&group=alt.windows7.general#2029

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:43:28 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:43 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:36:03 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> Where does one find the "Add and Remove Programs" service in Win 7?
>
> My computer seems to keep getting foistware, which I would like to0
> remove.

Still in Control Panel, but it was renamed "Programs and Features".

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

Re: How does one remove programs?

<MPG.3b65f14e9c6c081798fdf5@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2030&group=alt.windows7.general#2030

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:44:18 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:44 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:09:43 -0700, Aoli wrote:

> You might consider Revo Uninstaller Free.
> I have used it for years and it has never failed me.

What advantage does it offer over Programs and Features, which is
part of Windows?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How does one remove programs?

<im35rtFdjctU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2034&group=alt.windows7.general#2034

From: watt.tyler@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:52:44 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:52 UTC

On 24/07/2021 18:44, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:09:43 -0700, Aoli wrote:
>>
>> You might consider Revo Uninstaller Free.
>> I have used it for years and it has never failed me.
>
> What advantage does it offer over Programs and Features, which is
> part of Windows?

I use Advanced Uninstaller PRO which is also free[1], and has the
advantage that it looks for deletes register entries, shortcuts and
other stray files belonging to a program being deleted.

[1] It does regularly try to sell you paid for add-ons - but you can
ignore that.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: How does one remove programs?

<qtoofgpn89rbrdtt11thmvo3vl1adv77rm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2036&group=alt.windows7.general#2036

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:10:10 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:10 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:52:44 +0100, Roger Mills <watt.tyler@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 24/07/2021 18:44, Stan Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:09:43 -0700, Aoli wrote:
>>>
>>> You might consider Revo Uninstaller Free.
>>> I have used it for years and it has never failed me.
>>
>> What advantage does it offer over Programs and Features, which is
>> part of Windows?
>>

>I use Advanced Uninstaller PRO which is also free[1], and has the
>advantage that it looks for deletes register entries, shortcuts and
>other stray files belonging to a program being deleted.
>
>[1] It does regularly try to sell you paid for add-ons - but you can
>ignore that.

What I do is to use Erunt to save a copy of the registry before I
install anything. I add a note onto the Erunt file name such as "pre
xprogram", meaning the save was made before installing "xprogram".
It's simple then to revert the registry back to that time. After a
reboot you can simply delete the program without a problem. You don't
have to uninstall. It works on those stubborn programs who fight you
when trying to uninstall them.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/

Re: How does one remove programs?

<sdi2t7$qj8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2041&group=alt.windows7.general#2041

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 23:06:29 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:06 UTC

On 24/07/2021 20:10, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:52:44 +0100, Roger Mills <watt.tyler@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I use Advanced Uninstaller PRO which is also free[1], and has the
>> advantage that it looks for deletes register entries, shortcuts and
>> other stray files belonging to a program being deleted.
>>
>> [1] It does regularly try to sell you paid for add-ons - but you can
>> ignore that.

I don't really advise using these things unless there is a particularly
good reason with some piece of software. They can leave a worse mess
which is more of a problem than an incomplete uninstall via the usual route.

> What I do is to use Erunt to save a copy of the registry before I
> install anything. I add a note onto the Erunt file name such as "pre
> xprogram", meaning the save was made before installing "xprogram".
> It's simple then to revert the registry back to that time. After a
> reboot you can simply delete the program without a problem. You don't
> have to uninstall. It works on those stubborn programs who fight you
> when trying to uninstall them.
>
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/

And what happens if you then install some program later that you want to
keep but want to delete one installed earlier?

No, again I would not advise this sort of approach.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: How does one remove programs?

<t55pfgd2ik12ia01na26ll6ohofthf06fr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2044&group=alt.windows7.general#2044

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:38:27 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:38 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 23:06:29 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 24/07/2021 20:10, Merle@invalid.com wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:52:44 +0100, Roger Mills <watt.tyler@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use Advanced Uninstaller PRO which is also free[1], and has the
>>> advantage that it looks for deletes register entries, shortcuts and
>>> other stray files belonging to a program being deleted.
>>>
>>> [1] It does regularly try to sell you paid for add-ons - but you can
>>> ignore that.
>
>I don't really advise using these things unless there is a particularly
>good reason with some piece of software. They can leave a worse mess
>which is more of a problem than an incomplete uninstall via the usual route.
>
>> What I do is to use Erunt to save a copy of the registry before I
>> install anything. I add a note onto the Erunt file name such as "pre
>> xprogram", meaning the save was made before installing "xprogram".
>> It's simple then to revert the registry back to that time. After a
>> reboot you can simply delete the program without a problem. You don't
>> have to uninstall. It works on those stubborn programs who fight you
>> when trying to uninstall them.
>>
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/
>
>And what happens if you then install some program later that you want to
>keep but want to delete one installed earlier?
>
>No, again I would not advise this sort of approach.

You're right. That would be a problem. I was speaking more of trying
out a program for a day or so to see if one wants to keep it.

Re: How does one remove programs?

<3l5pfgd9696ssqkuiik6o35fs5cl1pfk8e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2045&group=alt.windows7.general#2045

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:40:24 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:40 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:38:27 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 23:06:29 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On 24/07/2021 20:10, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>>I don't really advise using these things unless there is a particularly
>>good reason with some piece of software. They can leave a worse mess
>>which is more of a problem than an incomplete uninstall via the usual route.
>>
>>> What I do is to use Erunt to save a copy of the registry before I
>>> install anything. I add a note onto the Erunt file name such as "pre
>>> xprogram", meaning the save was made before installing "xprogram".
>>> It's simple then to revert the registry back to that time. After a
>>> reboot you can simply delete the program without a problem. You don't
>>> have to uninstall. It works on those stubborn programs who fight you
>>> when trying to uninstall them.
>>>
>>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/
>>
>>And what happens if you then install some program later that you want to
>>keep but want to delete one installed earlier?
>>
>>No, again I would not advise this sort of approach.
>
>You're right. That would be a problem. I was speaking more of trying
>out a program for a day or so to see if one wants to keep it.

I forgot to add this link. Many freeware uninstallers here.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/mg_search.html?cx=partner-pub-6960825562757852%3A6029691205&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=uninstaller&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.majorgeeks.com%2F&ref=&ss=3498j1669828j11

Re: How does one remove programs?

<im83u1F1n6gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=alt.windows7.general#2069

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 17:50:25 +0200
 by: s|b - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:50 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 16:09:43 -0700, Aoli wrote:

> You might consider Revo Uninstaller Free.
> I have used it for years and it has never failed me.

I prefer Geek Uninstaller, but that's not what the OP was asking.

--
s|b