From: welkinator+forte@gmail.com (welkinator)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Re: Email but not Eudora
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 08:15:26 -0500
 by: welkinator - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:15 UTC

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Rick C
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 8:34:53 AM UTC-4, Ajo Wissink wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 06:15:36 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
>> <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>> >the "gmail" e-mail server is pretty lenient about whether
>> >and where you put the periods. So, "first.middle.last" will
>> >often work, as will "firstmiddle.last", and even "first.mid.dle.last".
>> >
>> >About five years ago I read an explanation as to why
>> >they set it up this way, but damn if I remember...
>>
>> It is even more than "pretty lenient".
>> You can put a period between all the characters and it will still
>> work.
>
>Ok, so periods are ignored. Does it do this with other characters like underscore or dashes?

For years I have used a format that included a plus sign (+) to
identify who is selling my addy. In this form:
my.actual.addy+amazon.gmail.com

If I subsequently get spam with that extra +amazon then I pretty well
know that amazon sold me out. (Actually, Amazon didn't - but
others...?)

Re: Email but not Eudora

<45d3egtua5o2dh47ica6eenp2kll278a77@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#198

From: welkinator+forte@gmail.com (welkinator)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 08:17:06 -0500
 by: welkinator - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:17 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 08:15:26 -0500, welkinator
<welkinator+forte@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Rick C
><gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 8:34:53 AM UTC-4, Ajo Wissink wrote:

>>> It is even more than "pretty lenient".
>>> You can put a period between all the characters and it will still
>>> work.
>>
>>Ok, so periods are ignored. Does it do this with other characters like underscore or dashes?
>
>For years I have used a format that included a plus sign (+) to
>identify who is selling my addy. In this form:
>my.actual.addy+amazon.gmail.com
>
>If I subsequently get spam with that extra +amazon then I pretty well
>know that amazon sold me out. (Actually, Amazon didn't - but
>others...?)

Arrrggghhh >> my.actual.addy+amazon@gmail.com << of course!

Re: Email but not Eudora

<4fc23cd4-a1c5-4793-87b1-f9962333c066n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=202&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#202

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 07:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com (gnuarm.del...@gmail.com)
 by: gnuarm.del...@gmail. - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:06 UTC

On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 9:17:08 AM UTC-4, welkinator wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 08:15:26 -0500, welkinator
> <welkinat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Rick C
> ><gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>Ok, so periods are ignored. Does it do this with other characters like underscore or dashes?
> >
> >For years I have used a format that included a plus sign (+) to
> >identify who is selling my addy. In this form:
> >my.actual.addy+amazon.gmail.com
> >
> >If I subsequently get spam with that extra +amazon then I pretty well
> >know that amazon sold me out. (Actually, Amazon didn't - but
> >others...?)
> Arrrggghhh >> my.actual....@gmail.com << of course!
Google groups is very odd about email addresses in the message. They hide them supposedly requiring a click and some sort of human detection to see the actual address. But for some time now this has been dysfunctional. Just now it opened a captcha with nothing else on the entire page. Clicking it does nothing. But I get the idea. The dot after amazon should have been an @ no doubt.

So the plus sign and everything after is ignored? Wow!! I just did a test and that works for my domain arius.com email addresses as well. Maybe I can skip the hundreds of web site specific email addresses? No, not really. By giving everyone distinct addresses I can shut off any one offender. I have a few addresses I have done that with when the spam got out of control.

Still, I don't recall ever hearing about this. I wonder if there are any email entry forms that don't allow the plus sign?

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging