From: shcv@sdf.org (Samuel Christie)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Email archival
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 15:25:18 -0400
 by: Samuel Christie - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 19:25 UTC

Can anyone recommend a program for archiving email?

E.g., scan a maildir for emails older than a certain date, and move them
to a different maildir?

Seems like it should be a common thing, but my searches have been
unsuccessful. I was hoping there would be a standard utility included in
package managers, but if not I guess I can write one myself...

Re: Email archival

<y2asfjzzahw.fsf@offog.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1968&group=comp.misc#1968

From: ats@offog.org (Adam Sampson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Email archival
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 20:42:19 +0100
 by: Adam Sampson - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 19:42 UTC

Samuel Christie <shcv@sdf.org> writes:

> E.g., scan a maildir for emails older than a certain date, and move
> them to a different maildir?

Since the messages in a Maildir are just individual files, you can do it
with "find -mtime" -- just move any files older than a certain date to
the equivalent paths in the archive Maildir. Here's a wrapper script I
wrote to do it for some of my Maildirs many years ago:

http://offog.org/git/misccode/archive-maildir

(These days I'd probably see if I could use -execdir...)

--
Adam Sampson <ats@offog.org> <http://offog.org/>

Re: Email archival

<szhh255unam8.dlg@vucicevic.in.rs>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1981&group=comp.misc#1981

From: vladimir@vucicevic.in.rs (Vladimir Vučićević)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:45:09 +0200
 by: Vladimir Vučićevi - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:45 UTC

.... I am Locutus of Borg, Samuel Christie, resistance is futile ...
> Can anyone recommend a program for archiving email?
>
> E.g., scan a maildir for emails older than a certain date, and move them
> to a different maildir?
>
> Seems like it should be a common thing, but my searches have been
> unsuccessful. I was hoping there would be a standard utility included in
> package managers, but if not I guess I can write one myself...

You should try Mailstore and see if it suits your needs.

https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/

--
.... Vladimir Vučićević aka. Bachi
~~~ http://www.bachi.in.rs/ <<<<>>>> vladimir@vucicevic.in.rs
>>> It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice...

Re: Email archival

<DbacnTGiKP5pg9v-nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1994&group=comp.misc#1994

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 01:57:08 +0000
 by: Javier - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 01:57 UTC

Samuel Christie <shcv@sdf.org> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a program for archiving email?
>
> E.g., scan a maildir for emails older than a certain date, and move them
> to a different maildir?
>
> Seems like it should be a common thing, but my searches have been
> unsuccessful. I was hoping there would be a standard utility included in
> package managers, but if not I guess I can write one myself...

You have fdm. AFAIK the most powerful tool for dealing with mail.
In addition to getting mail from an POP/IMAP server, it can also get
mails from a maildir. It should also be capable of dealing with a
news spool.

http://ports.su/mail/fdm

fdm-1.9p0 – fetch, filter and deliver mail
Description

fdm is a simple, lightweight replacement for mail fetch, filter and
delivery programs such as fetchmail and procmail. It can fetch using
POP3 or IMAP (with SSL) or from stdin, and deliver to a pipe, file,
maildir, mbox or SMTP server, based on regexps.