"You'll pay to know what you really think." -- J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

computers / microsoft.public.windowsxp.general / What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

SubjectAuthor
* What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?sammy
+- Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?Stary Denisov
`* Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?Shadow
 `* Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?sammy
  +* Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?Shadow
  |`- Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?sammy
  `- Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?sammy

1
What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<flvjtgtk94c0l8jr42emmjfrepeohq8u7k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1910&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1910

From: sammy@no.mail.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:14:27 -0600
 by: sammy@no.mail.com - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:14 UTC

I notice each time I make a file in Explorer 'Read Only' the archive
menu is turned on. Why and what does this mean?

Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<RMnCJ.18010$WScc.1523@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1911&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1911

From: sd680@nilmail.invalid (Stary Denisov)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 00:57:02 +0300
 by: Stary Denisov - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:57 UTC

sammy@no.mail.com wrote:

>> Subject: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

> I notice each time I make a file in Explorer 'Read Only' the archive
> menu is turned on. Why and what does this mean?

<https://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+the+Windows+archive+bit>

FYI: Here, "archive" is in Properties|General|Advanced.
FYI: Here, "archive" looks like an on/off checkbox (a bit), not like a menu.

Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<p12ktgdhon5s9nuni51t5546v0i1cb32te@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1912&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1912

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 18:58:33 -0300
 by: Shadow - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:58 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:14:27 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:

>I notice each time I make a file in Explorer 'Read Only' the archive
>menu is turned on. Why and what does this mean?

Makes sense. If you're not going to write to the file anymore,
put it in the archive.
Like you would with a finished paper document and a physical
cabinet.
PS Probably so backup programs don't mess with files you're
writing.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<p25ktgh1grup70d0882f0m4gpotffjl50i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1913&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1913

From: sammy@no.mail.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 16:53:29 -0600
 by: sammy@no.mail.com - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 22:53 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 18:58:33 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:14:27 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:
>
>>I notice each time I make a file in Explorer 'Read Only' the archive
>>menu is turned on. Why and what does this mean?
>
> Makes sense. If you're not going to write to the file anymore,
>put it in the archive.
> Like you would with a finished paper document and a physical
>cabinet.
> PS Probably so backup programs don't mess with files you're
>writing.
> []'s

I still don't get it. Exactly what happens if I uncheck the archive
box after making the file Read Only?

What happens if I leave the Archived box checked?

I'm only concerned with this because it is some personal info files
which I write protect, and I don't want them "archived" - saved - to
anywhere else on any of my drives.

So, I guess my question should have been "When the Archive box is
checked does it mean that Windows has saved that file somewhere else
on my dirve? (I don't trust Windows. And don't mention Linux. I'm
barely making it with Windows.) :o)

Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<su6ktgdc25gqmlr4nfptiq23ii4tisv8bo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1915&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1915

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 20:34:32 -0300
 by: Shadow - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:34 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 16:53:29 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 18:58:33 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:14:27 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:
>>
>>>I notice each time I make a file in Explorer 'Read Only' the archive
>>>menu is turned on. Why and what does this mean?
>>
>> Makes sense. If you're not going to write to the file anymore,
>>put it in the archive.
>> Like you would with a finished paper document and a physical
>>cabinet.
>> PS Probably so backup programs don't mess with files you're
>>writing.
>> []'s
>
>I still don't get it. Exactly what happens if I uncheck the archive
>box after making the file Read Only?
>
>What happens if I leave the Archived box checked?
>
>I'm only concerned with this because it is some personal info files
>which I write protect, and I don't want them "archived" - saved - to
>anywhere else on any of my drives.
>
>So, I guess my question should have been "When the Archive box is
>checked does it mean that Windows has saved that file somewhere else
>on my dirve? (I don't trust Windows. And don't mention Linux. I'm
>barely making it with Windows.) :o)

No, the file is not archived anywhere else, unless you're
running a backup program.

For example the command "xcopy" can backup only files with the
"archive" attribute set.

XCOPY /A

If you type XCOPY /N it will copy and then clear the archive
attribute.

Start ---> Run ---> cmd

Type
xcopy /? >> xcopy.txt
Then read xcopy.txt
You can see all the options.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Google Fuchsia - 2021

Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<it7ktgpnh2smsgis6lujseo0e4lrd79p6p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1916&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1916

From: sammy@no.mail.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:35:49 -0600
 by: sammy@no.mail.com - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:35 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 16:53:29 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 18:58:33 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:14:27 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:
>>
>>>I notice each time I make a file in Explorer 'Read Only' the archive
>>>menu is turned on. Why and what does this mean?
>>
>> Makes sense. If you're not going to write to the file anymore,
>>put it in the archive.
>> Like you would with a finished paper document and a physical
>>cabinet.
>> PS Probably so backup programs don't mess with files you're
>>writing.
>> []'s
>
>I still don't get it. Exactly what happens if I uncheck the archive
>box after making the file Read Only?
>
>What happens if I leave the Archived box checked?
>
>I'm only concerned with this because it is some personal info files
>which I write protect, and I don't want them "archived" - saved - to
>anywhere else on any of my drives.
>
>So, I guess my question should have been "When the Archive box is
>checked does it mean that Windows has saved that file somewhere else
>on my dirve? (I don't trust Windows. And don't mention Linux. I'm
>barely making it with Windows.) :o)

Finally - an explanation simple enough for me.

https://networkencyclopedia.com/archive-attribute/

Re: What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?

<f38ktgp473emuop3odet2cgaladqug8uq0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1917&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1917

From: sammy@no.mail.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:39:11 -0600
 by: sammy@no.mail.com - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:39 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 20:34:32 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 16:53:29 -0600, sammy@no.mail.com wrote:

>>> Makes sense. If you're not going to write to the file anymore,
>>>put it in the archive.
>>> Like you would with a finished paper document and a physical
>>>cabinet.
>>> PS Probably so backup programs don't mess with files you're
>>>writing.
>>> []'s
>>
>>I still don't get it. Exactly what happens if I uncheck the archive
>>box after making the file Read Only?
>>
>>What happens if I leave the Archived box checked?
>>
>>I'm only concerned with this because it is some personal info files
>>which I write protect, and I don't want them "archived" - saved - to
>>anywhere else on any of my drives.
>>
>>So, I guess my question should have been "When the Archive box is
>>checked does it mean that Windows has saved that file somewhere else
>>on my dirve? (I don't trust Windows. And don't mention Linux. I'm
>>barely making it with Windows.) :o)
>
> No, the file is not archived anywhere else, unless you're
>running a backup program.
>
> For example the command "xcopy" can backup only files with the
>"archive" attribute set.
>
> XCOPY /A
>
> If you type XCOPY /N it will copy and then clear the archive
>attribute.
>
> Start ---> Run ---> cmd
>
> Type
> xcopy /? >> xcopy.txt
> Then read xcopy.txt
> You can see all the options.
> HTH
> []'s

Finally - your explanation and this link

https://networkencyclopedia.com/archive-attribute/

Clears it up.

Tnx!

computers / microsoft.public.windowsxp.general / What does "archive" in Properties|Read Only mean?