Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence. -- Dijkstra

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Ubuntu snaps

SubjectAuthor
* Ubuntu snapsRay Hughes
+* Re: Ubuntu snapsJohnny
|`* Re: Ubuntu snapsRay Hughes
| `* Re: Ubuntu snapsPaul
|  `* Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
|   `* Re: Ubuntu snapsPaul
|    +* Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
|    |`* Re: Ubuntu snapsPaul
|    | +- Re: Ubuntu snapsRaymond Hughes
|    | +- Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
|    | `* Re: Ubuntu snapsdillinger
|    |  `- Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
|    `- Re: Ubuntu snapsstepore
+* Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
|`- Re: Ubuntu snapsRay Hughes
+* Re: Ubuntu snapsMike Easter
|`* Re: Ubuntu snapsMike Easter
| `* Re: Ubuntu snapsRaymond Hughes
|  `* Re: Ubuntu snapsDan Purgert
|   `- Re: Ubuntu snapsRaymond Hughes
+- Re: Ubuntu snapswicklowham
+- Re: Ubuntu snapsBobbie Sellers
+* Re: Ubuntu snapsvaem
|`- Re: Ubuntu snapsMike Easter
`* Re: Ubuntu snapsMarco Moock
 `* Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
  `* Re: Ubuntu snapsMarco Moock
   `* Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun
    `* Re: Ubuntu snapsMike Easter
     `- Re: Ubuntu snapsHenry Crun

Pages:12
Ubuntu snaps

<871qzftfra.fsf@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1893&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1893

From: rhughes@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Ray Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Ubuntu snaps
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 12:41:29 +0000
 by: Ray Hughes - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:41 UTC

Hi all

I have tried most distros over the years been a Linux user since the
beginning. Before Linus started I was using Mark Williams Coherent in
the late 80s. I think int came on 13 or 14 floppies.

Later I was tempted to the dark side and bought a copy of Red Hat 6
pack which included a full set of printed manual. I bought lots of
magazines Lo' DVD cover disks. I was then a serious distro hopper
but Hardy Heron on Ubuntu stopped all that.

Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
I made it to 20.04.4 LTS

Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.

Slow
Nasty
Achingly slow
Packages

Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being snapped
up!

The software centre has become the snap-store.

OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
without snaps.

Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.

I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
apps.

Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.

I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.

RayH (The other one)

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<20220306065952.63c45589@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1894&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1894

From: johnny@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Ubuntu snaps
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 06:59:52 -0600
 by: Johnny - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:59 UTC

On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 12:41:29 +0000
Ray Hughes
<rhughes@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have tried most distros over the years been a Linux user since the
> beginning. Before Linus started I was using Mark Williams Coherent in
> the late 80s. I think int came on 13 or 14 floppies.
>
> Later I was tempted to the dark side and bought a copy of Red Hat 6
> pack which included a full set of printed manual. I bought lots of
> magazines Lo' DVD cover disks. I was then a serious distro hopper
> but Hardy Heron on Ubuntu stopped all that.
>
> Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
> Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
> I made it to 20.04.4 LTS
>
> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>
> Slow
> Nasty
> Achingly slow
> Packages
>
> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being
> snapped up!
>
> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>
> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
> without snaps.
>
> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>
> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
> apps.
>
> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>
> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>
> RayH (The other one)

I used Linux Mint for years, but have switched to MX Linux, and I'm
very happy with it.

The only thing I didn't like with the default setup was the panel was
vertical on the left side. I found out the panel could be moved to the
bottom using MX Tweak.

Snap packages and MX Linux

Running snap packages (snaps) is problematic on our default MX setup because of a couple of factors.

snapd (the snaps backend) requires systemd and we use sysVinit by default
snapd confinement doesn’t like the symlink we use to link /tmp to
/var/tmp.

Continued:
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/snap-packages-and-mx-linux/

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<e9qefi-r2am1.ln1@ubuntu.mike-r.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1895&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1895

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:41:33 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 13:41 UTC

On 06/03/2022 14:41, Ray Hughes wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have tried most distros over the years been a Linux user since the
> beginning. Before Linus started I was using Mark Williams Coherent in
> the late 80s. I think int came on 13 or 14 floppies.
>
> Later I was tempted to the dark side and bought a copy of Red Hat 6
> pack which included a full set of printed manual. I bought lots of
> magazines Lo' DVD cover disks. I was then a serious distro hopper
> but Hardy Heron on Ubuntu stopped all that.
>
> Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
> Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
> I made it to 20.04.4 LTS
>
> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>
> Slow
> Nasty
> Achingly slow
> Packages
>
> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being snapped
> up!
>
> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>
> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
> without snaps.
>
> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>
> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
> apps.
>
> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>
> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>
> RayH (The other one)

When 20.04 came out snapd was automaticalli installed.
It first came to my attention when my backup started overflowing the DVD I used.
Solution: get rid of snap. This was more than a year ago, and I have been running (and updating) snap-free since with no
noticeable ill effects. Apt / apt-get still work.

I recommend having a look at:
https://cialu.net/how-to-disable-and-remove-completely-snaps-in-ubuntu-linux/
though I'm sure you could find equivalent advice elsewhere.

Or move to a snap-free distro (too much like work for me as it took ma a couple of months to get to where I like to be...)

Note: for 20.04 the only installation that requires snap, so far, is Chromium. There is a workaround using Debian
repositries (Google is your friend)

--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<87o82jf62z.fsf@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1896&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1896

From: rhughes@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Ray Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 15:34:12 +0000
 by: Ray Hughes - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:34 UTC

Henry Crun <mike@rechtman.com> writes:

> On 06/03/2022 14:41, Ray Hughes wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>><<snipped some>>

>> Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
>> Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
>> I made it to 20.04.4 LTS
>>
>> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>>
>> Slow
>> Nasty
>> Achingly slow
>> Packages
>>
>> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being snapped
>> up!
>>
>> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>>
>> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
>> without snaps.
>>
>> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
>> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>>
>> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
>> apps.
>>
>> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>>
>> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
>> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>>
>> RayH (The other one)
>>

> When 20.04 came out snapd was automaticalli installed.
> It first came to my attention when my backup started overflowing the DVD I used.
> Solution: get rid of snap. This was more than a year ago, and I have
> been running (and updating) snap-free since with no noticeable ill
> effects. Apt / apt-get still work.
>
> I recommend having a look at:
> https://cialu.net/how-to-disable-and-remove-completely-snaps-in-ubuntu-linux/
> though I'm sure you could find equivalent advice elsewhere.
>
> Or move to a snap-free distro (too much like work for me as it took ma
> a couple of months to get to where I like to be...)
>
> Note: for 20.04 the only installation that requires snap, so far, is
> Chromium. There is a workaround using Debian repositries (Google is
> your friend)

Thanks Mike that cialu.net is a great place to start.
I got worried once the software centre became the snap-store, and even
my old fav synaptic has got snaps. ANyway I need to read more on the
snap subject.

RayH

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<87h78bf5wh.fsf@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1897&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1897

From: rhughes@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Ray Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 15:38:06 +0000
 by: Ray Hughes - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:38 UTC

Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 12:41:29 +0000
> Ray Hughes
> <rhughes@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all

<<snipped>>
>> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>>
>> Slow
>> Nasty
>> Achingly slow
>> Packages
>>
>> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being
>> snapped up!
>>
>> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>>
>> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
>> without snaps.
>>
>> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
>> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>>
>> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
>> apps.
>>
>> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>>
>> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
>> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>>
>> RayH (The other one)
>>

> I used Linux Mint for years, but have switched to MX Linux, and I'm
> very happy with it.
>
> The only thing I didn't like with the default setup was the panel was
> vertical on the left side. I found out the panel could be moved to the
> bottom using MX Tweak.
>

> Snap packages and MX Linux
>
> Running snap packages (snaps) is problematic on our default MX setup because of a couple of factors.
>
> snapd (the snaps backend) requires systemd and we use sysVinit by default
> snapd confinement doesn’t like the symlink we use to link /tmp to
> /var/tmp.
>
> Continued:
> https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/snap-packages-and-mx-linux/

Thanks Johnny thats an interesting read. I got to read a lot more before
I take any action.

RayH

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<j8k4evF7205U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1898&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1898

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 08:05:50 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:05 UTC

Ray Hughes wrote:
> I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.

Personally I don't like snaps either. I was very pleased that my
Ubuntu-based distro Mint is 'anti-snap' and doesn't follow Ub's lead on
that issue.

However, Mint likes the Cinnamon DE as its primary fork from the Gnome
shell. If you are a gnome fan, you won't find a gnome DE in any Mint.

Probably the best way to stay w/ what you like about Ub and Gnome is to
simply get rid of Snaps and use the 'snapless' Synaptic as your package
manager.

Or, if you haven't checked out Cinnamon lately, you might just give the
default Mint a spin. Or, its Mate DE which is somewhat like Gnome 2 if
you liked that one, which I did. It was the Gnome3 shell which left me.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<t02msa$vfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1899&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1899

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:18:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:18 UTC

On 3/6/2022 10:38 AM, Ray Hughes wrote:
> Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 12:41:29 +0000
>> Ray Hughes
>> <rhughes@rays-dell.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>

> <<snipped>>
>>> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>>>
>>> Slow
>>> Nasty
>>> Achingly slow
>>> Packages
>>>
>>> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being
>>> snapped up!
>>>
>>> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>>>
>>> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
>>> without snaps.
>>>
>>> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
>>> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>>>
>>> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
>>> apps.
>>>
>>> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>>>
>>> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
>>> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>>>
>>> RayH (The other one)
>>>

>> I used Linux Mint for years, but have switched to MX Linux, and I'm
>> very happy with it.
>>
>> The only thing I didn't like with the default setup was the panel was
>> vertical on the left side. I found out the panel could be moved to the
>> bottom using MX Tweak.
>>

>> Snap packages and MX Linux
>>
>> Running snap packages (snaps) is problematic on our default MX setup because of a couple of factors.
>>
>> snapd (the snaps backend) requires systemd and we use sysVinit by default
>> snapd confinement doesn’t like the symlink we use to link /tmp to
>> /var/tmp.
>>
>> Continued:
>> https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/snap-packages-and-mx-linux/
>
> Thanks Johnny thats an interesting read. I got to read a lot more before
> I take any action.
>
> RayH

One thing that concerns me about Canonical, is seeing this.

Judging by the looks of it, once they started seeing web articles
with the words "snap... purge", they used the ole "bomb squad" approach
to the problem. It looks to me like they have wired the entire desktop
environment (DE) to the snapd system. That's how I interpret the
"snap list" I'm seeing.

It implies if you purge snap, you just might end up with a text terminal
and that's it. No problem, just have another DE lined up to take its
place, I guess.

bullwinkle@TUNAFISH:~$ snap list

Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
bare 1.0 5 latest/stable canonical✓ base
core18 20211215 2284 latest/stable canonical✓ base
core20 20220215 1361 latest/stable canonical✓ base
gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 77 latest/stable/… canonical✓ - <=== !!!
gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.1f9014a 99 latest/stable canonical✓ - <=== !!!
gnome-calculator 41.1-4-g5c9869a58c 920 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-characters 41.0+git1.8877a99 741 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-logs 3.36.0 106 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-system-monitor 41.0-5-g91e67f7982 174 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gtk-common-themes 0.1-59-g7bca6ae 1519 latest/stable/… canonical✓ - <=== !!!
snap-store 3.38.0-66-gbd5b8f7 558 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
snapd 2.54.3 14978 latest/stable canonical✓ snapd

bullwinkle@TUNAFISH:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS"

*******

Paul

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<j8ka78F85j1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1900&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1900

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 09:44:07 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:44 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Ray Hughes wrote:
>> I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>
> Personally I don't like snaps either.  I was very pleased that my
> Ubuntu-based distro Mint is 'anti-snap' and doesn't follow Ub's lead on
> that issue.

Another Ub-based snapless distro is Pop OS. Its approach to the DE is
to 'heavily modify' Gnome 40 (now, previously gnome 38). Some people
are very pleased w/ what Pop is doing w/ gnome. Whatever they do w/
gnome is OK w/ me as I am not a gnome fan.

They are calling their DE Cosmic and the plan is to break further from
Gnome Shell.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<t02sq9$geu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1901&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1901

From: wicklowham.nospam@rfburns.eu (wicklowham)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:59:37 +0000
 by: wicklowham - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:59 UTC

On 06/03/2022 12:41, Ray Hughes wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have tried most distros over the years been a Linux user since the
> beginning. Before Linus started I was using Mark Williams Coherent in
> the late 80s. I think int came on 13 or 14 floppies.
>
> Later I was tempted to the dark side and bought a copy of Red Hat 6
> pack which included a full set of printed manual. I bought lots of
> magazines Lo' DVD cover disks. I was then a serious distro hopper
> but Hardy Heron on Ubuntu stopped all that.
>
> Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
> Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
> I made it to 20.04.4 LTS
>
> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>
> Slow
> Nasty
> Achingly slow
> Packages
>
> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being snapped
> up!
>
> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>
> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
> without snaps.
>
> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>
> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
> apps.
>
> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>
> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>
> RayH (The other one)

I have used a few snaps in Linux Mint ; no problems encountered.

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<t03b3h$51p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1902&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1902

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 14:03:27 -0800
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 22:03 UTC

On 3/6/22 04:41, Ray Hughes wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have tried most distros over the years been a Linux user since the
> beginning. Before Linus started I was using Mark Williams Coherent in
> the late 80s. I think int came on 13 or 14 floppies.
>
> Later I was tempted to the dark side and bought a copy of Red Hat 6
> pack which included a full set of printed manual. I bought lots of
> magazines Lo' DVD cover disks. I was then a serious distro hopper
> but Hardy Heron on Ubuntu stopped all that.
>
> Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
> Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
> I made it to 20.04.4 LTS
>
> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>
> Slow
> Nasty
> Achingly slow
> Packages
>
> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being snapped
> up!
>
> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>
> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
> without snaps.
>
> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>
> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
> apps.
>
> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>
> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>
> RayH (The other one)

Well a good way out is PCLinuxOS 64. It uses synaptic and rpms.
It is a rolling release so you need to run synaptic more often. It has
a free Registration at the Forum at
<https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php> and you can get a copy i you
follow the links atL:<http://www.pclinuxos.com/>
It has KDE in two versions, Mate, and XFCE in the official releases and
in the Community Releases Trinity, and OpenBox and other
Desktop Evironments. If you love Gnome 40 you will be out of luck though.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
and a minor case of hypergraphia

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<nocgfi-trsv2.ln1@ubuntu.mike-r.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1903&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1903

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 06:03:03 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 04:03 UTC

On 06/03/2022 18:18, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> gnome-3-38-2004       0+git.1f9014a       99     latest/stable    canonical✓  -       <=== !!!
> gnome-calculator      41.1-4-g5c9869a58c  920    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
> gnome-characters      41.0+git1.8877a99   741    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
> gnome-logs            3.36.0              106    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
> gnome-system-monitor  41.0-5-g91e67f7982  174    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
> gtk-common-themes     0.1-59-g7bca6ae     1519   latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -       <=== !!!
> snap-store            3.38.0-66-gbd5b8f7  558    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
> snapd                 2.54.3              14978  latest/stable    canonical✓  snapd
>
> bullwinkle@TUNAFISH:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS"

Running 20.04.4 snapless, everyting on your list is available using apt, or preferably, synaptic.
(I don't recall actually having to install any of the gnome-* stuff, but it is in there somehow)

mike@alpha:~$ snap list

Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install snapd

mike@alpha:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS"
mike@alpha:~$

mike@alpha:~$ sudo apt list gnome
[sudo] password for mike:
Listing... Done
gnome/focal 1:3.30+2 amd64

--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
QOTD: http://alpha.mike-r.com/qotd.php
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
and: http://alpha.mike-r.com/jargon/T/top-post.html
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<t04bfb$bln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1904&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1904

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 02:15:56 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 07:15 UTC

On 3/6/2022 11:03 PM, Henry Crun wrote:
> On 06/03/2022 18:18, Paul wrote:

>>> <<snipped>>

>>> Thanks Johnny thats an interesting read. I got to read a lot more before
>>> I take any action.
>>>
>>> RayH
>>>

>> One thing that concerns me about Canonical, is seeing this.
>>
>> Judging by the looks of it, once they started seeing web articles
>> with the words "snap... purge", they used the ole "bomb squad" approach
>> to the problem. It looks to me like they have wired the entire desktop
>> environment (DE) to the snapd system. That's how I interpret the
>> "snap list" I'm seeing.
>>
>> It implies if you purge snap, you just might end up with a text terminal
>> and that's it. No problem, just have another DE lined up to take its
>> place, I guess.
>>
>> bullwinkle@TUNAFISH:~$ snap list
>>
>> Name                  Version             Rev    Tracking         Publisher   Notes
>> bare                  1.0                 5      latest/stable    canonical✓  base
>> core18                20211215            2284   latest/stable    canonical✓  base
>> core20                20220215            1361   latest/stable    canonical✓  base
>> gnome-3-34-1804       0+git.3556cb3       77     latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -       <=== !!!
>> gnome-3-38-2004       0+git.1f9014a       99     latest/stable    canonical✓  -       <=== !!!
>> gnome-calculator      41.1-4-g5c9869a58c  920    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
>> gnome-characters      41.0+git1.8877a99   741    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
>> gnome-logs            3.36.0              106    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
>> gnome-system-monitor  41.0-5-g91e67f7982  174    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
>> gtk-common-themes     0.1-59-g7bca6ae     1519   latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -       <=== !!!
>> snap-store            3.38.0-66-gbd5b8f7  558    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
>> snapd                 2.54.3              14978  latest/stable    canonical✓  snapd
>>
>> bullwinkle@TUNAFISH:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
>> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
>> DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
>> DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
>> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS"
>>
>> *******
>>
>>     Paul
>>
> Running 20.04.4 snapless, everyting on your list is available using apt, or preferably, synaptic.
> (I don't recall actually having to install any of the gnome-* stuff, but it is in there somehow)
>
> mike@alpha:~$ snap list
>
> Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:
>
> sudo apt install snapd
>

> mike@alpha:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS"
> mike@alpha:~$
>
> mike@alpha:~$ sudo apt list gnome
> [sudo] password for mike:
> Listing... Done
> gnome/focal 1:3.30+2 amd64

OK, I agree, I seem to have both.

apt list gnome

gnome/focal 1:3.30+2 amd64 <=== but Synaptic shows it is not installed

and then

snap list

Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 77 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.1f9014a 99 latest/stable canonical✓ -

If I were to purge Snapd, how does the system know to install gnome metapackage (.deb) ?

My historical experience is, the user fixes whatever they break, and so
I'd be expected to do a

sudo apt install gnome

at my earliest convenience.

Back when the notion of purging stuff was invented, there wasn't
a gnome wedged into the snap list.

Paul

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<ar6hfi-g2kn3.ln1@ubuntu.mike-r.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1905&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1905

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 13:28:10 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 11:28 UTC

On 07/03/2022 9:15, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>> Listing... Done
>> gnome/focal 1:3.30+2 amd64
>>

> OK, I agree, I seem to have both.
>
>    apt list gnome
>
>    gnome/focal 1:3.30+2 amd64     <=== but Synaptic shows it is not installed
>
> and then
>
>    snap list
>
>    Name                  Version             Rev    Tracking         Publisher   Notes
>    gnome-3-34-1804       0+git.3556cb3       77     latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
>    gnome-3-38-2004       0+git.1f9014a       99     latest/stable    canonical✓  -
>
> If I were to purge Snapd, how does the system know to install gnome metapackage (.deb) ?
>
> My historical experience is, the user fixes whatever they break, and so
> I'd be expected to do a
>
>    sudo apt install gnome
>
> at my earliest convenience.
>
> Back when the notion of purging stuff was invented, there wasn't

I believe in looking things up (he says, ending a sentence with a preposition)
start with
https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3
.... and I'm sure there is plenty more
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
QOTD: http://alpha.mike-r.com/qotd.php
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
and: http://alpha.mike-r.com/jargon/T/top-post.html
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<t04uel$goh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1906&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1906

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 07:39:49 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:39 UTC

On 3/7/2022 6:28 AM, Henry Crun wrote:

> I believe in looking things up (he says, ending a sentence with a preposition)
> start with
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3
> ... and I'm sure there is plenty more

Well, as Admiral Ackbar would say "It's a trap".
It has that smell about it, of "purge my stuff, suffer the consequences".
Sure, you can clean up anything, given enough time, donuts and coffee.

At least with Synaptic, if you make a "bad life choice", the tool
lists what packages it plans to remove as revenge. So at least you
get a chance to say "whoa, I didn't mean to do that". I don't know
if any plan to purge Snapd would warn you in quite the same way.

Paul

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<874k49lryc.fsf@rays-acer.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1907&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1907

From: rhughes@rays-acer.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Raymond Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 15:09:47 +0000
 by: Raymond Hughes - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:09 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:

> On 3/7/2022 6:28 AM, Henry Crun wrote:
>

>> I believe in looking things up (he says, ending a sentence with a preposition)
>> start with
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3
>> ... and I'm sure there is plenty more
>
> Well, as Admiral Ackbar would say "It's a trap".
> It has that smell about it, of "purge my stuff, suffer the consequences".
> Sure, you can clean up anything, given enough time, donuts and coffee.
>
> At least with Synaptic, if you make a "bad life choice", the tool
> lists what packages it plans to remove as revenge. So at least you
> get a chance to say "whoa, I didn't mean to do that". I don't know
> if any plan to purge Snapd would warn you in quite the same way.
>
> Paul

What mainly worries me is that the Ubuntu software centre
is now called the snap-store.

Also you need to watch synaptic (my fav install tool) it contains
snaps and will give you the snap version by default.

I have also occasionally got a snap from sudo apt install XXXX.

I hope there will be a fork soon a straight ubuntu 20.04.4
totally snapless would suit me fine.

I have been through the KDE wars and the Gnome2 Unity wars
and the Unity to Gnome3 war. I am NOT going through the
Snap war. I would rather go back to debian for stability and loose
some mondernity.

Regards RayH

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<87zgm1kd3n.fsf@rays-acer.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1908&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1908

From: rhughes@rays-acer.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Raymond Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 15:15:56 +0000
 by: Raymond Hughes - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:15 UTC

Thanks Mike I shall def. have a look at Pop.

DE's and their changes are just wearisome as I spend most of my
time in Emacs anyway. :)

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<r8lhfi-p6p5.ln1@ubuntu.mike-r.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1909&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1909

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 17:34:19 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 15:34 UTC

On 07/03/2022 14:39, Paul wrote:
> On 3/7/2022 6:28 AM, Henry Crun wrote:
>

>> I believe in looking things up (he says, ending a sentence with a preposition)
>> start with
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3
>> ... and I'm sure there is plenty more
>
> Well, as Admiral Ackbar would say "It's a trap".
> It has that smell about it, of "purge my stuff, suffer the consequences".
> Sure, you can clean up anything, given enough time, donuts and coffee.
>
> At least with Synaptic, if you make a "bad life choice", the tool
> lists what packages it plans to remove as revenge. So at least you
> get a chance to say "whoa, I didn't mean to do that". I don't know
> if any plan to purge Snapd would warn you in quite the same way.
>
>    Paul

so "try it out on the dog"
Do you have a spare disk? Clone your boot/system disk (skip the partitions with games, pictures, whatever)
Boot from it and remove snap. If anything bad or even suspicious happens, you've lost nothing except some time, and
gained a useful caution.

--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
QOTD: http://alpha.mike-r.com/qotd.php
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
and: http://alpha.mike-r.com/jargon/T/top-post.html
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<slrnt2ccip.k2j.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1910&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1910

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 16:26:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 16:26 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<878rtlln3d.fsf@rays-acer.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1911&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1911

From: rhughes@rays-acer.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (Raymond Hughes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 16:54:46 +0000
 by: Raymond Hughes - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 16:54 UTC

:) Dan

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<t0bq2j$veq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1919&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1919

From: linshine@here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:08:03 -0800
 by: stepore - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 03:08 UTC

On 03/06/2022 11:15 PM, Paul wrote:
> snap list
>
> Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
> gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 77 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
> gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.1f9014a 99 latest/stable canonical✓ -
>
> If I were to purge Snapd, how does the system know to install gnome metapackage (.deb) ?

Just an FYI. I just got a nice little used PC (to use as a media server,
music and video) and installed 20.04 (desktop). I allowed all the
defaults, no tinkering.

On first login, I purged all the snap stuff including the snap gnome
stuff, then deleted snapd as well. Seems to be fine. Desktop and all
core apps seem fine. I haven't noticed anything that's borked.

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<ltdsfixqa6.ln2@spock.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1924&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1924

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:36:21 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: dillinger@invalid.not (dillinger)
 by: dillinger - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:36 UTC

On 3/7/22 13:39, Paul wrote:
> On 3/7/2022 6:28 AM, Henry Crun wrote:
>

>> I believe in looking things up (he says, ending a sentence with a
>> preposition)
>> start with
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3
>> ... and I'm sure there is plenty more
>
> Well, as Admiral Ackbar would say "It's a trap".
> It has that smell about it, of "purge my stuff, suffer the consequences".
> Sure, you can clean up anything, given enough time, donuts and coffee.
>
> At least with Synaptic, if you make a "bad life choice", the tool
> lists what packages it plans to remove as revenge. So at least you
> get a chance to say "whoa, I didn't mean to do that". I don't know
> if any plan to purge Snapd would warn you in quite the same way.
>
>    Paul
I have removed snap (and flatpak) from KDE neon (which runs on Ubuntu
20.04) some time ago, I haven't encountered any problems.
From my .bash_history, a bit redacted from 2 computers:
snap list
sudo snap remove gtk-common-themes
sudo snap remove gtk2-common-themes
sudo snap remove gnome-3-28-1804
sudo snap remove gnome-3-34-1804
sudo snap remove gnome-3-38-2004
sudo snap remove bare
sudo snap remove core18
sudo snap remove snap-store
sudo snap remove core18
sudo snap remove core20
sudo snap remove core
snap list
sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd
sudo apt purge snapd
sudo apt autoremove
rm-rf ~/snap
Your versions will differ now, IIRC some snaps can not be deleted unless
others are deleted first, due to dependencies, I suppose.
Trying to (re-)install the Gnome meta package in Synaptic should work,
it also selects snap as a dependency.

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<8hltfi-2s4u2.ln1@ubuntu.mike-r.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1925&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1925

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 06:52:24 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 04:52 UTC

On 11/03/2022 19:36, dillinger wrote:

> On 3/7/22 13:39, Paul wrote:
>> On 3/7/2022 6:28 AM, Henry Crun wrote:
>>

>>> I believe in looking things up (he says, ending a sentence with a preposition)
>>> start with
>>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3
>>> ... and I'm sure there is plenty more
>>
>> Well, as Admiral Ackbar would say "It's a trap".
>> It has that smell about it, of "purge my stuff, suffer the consequences".
>> Sure, you can clean up anything, given enough time, donuts and coffee.
>>
>> At least with Synaptic, if you make a "bad life choice", the tool
>> lists what packages it plans to remove as revenge. So at least you
>> get a chance to say "whoa, I didn't mean to do that". I don't know
>> if any plan to purge Snapd would warn you in quite the same way.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I have removed snap (and flatpak) from KDE neon (which runs on Ubuntu 20.04) some time ago, I haven't encountered any
> problems.
>
> From my .bash_history, a bit redacted from 2 computers:
>
> snap list
> sudo snap remove gtk-common-themes
> sudo snap remove gtk2-common-themes
> sudo snap remove gnome-3-28-1804
> sudo snap remove gnome-3-34-1804
> sudo snap remove gnome-3-38-2004
> sudo snap remove bare
> sudo snap remove core18
> sudo snap remove snap-store
> sudo snap remove core18
> sudo snap remove core20
> sudo snap remove core
> snap list
> sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd
> sudo apt purge snapd
> sudo apt autoremove
> rm-rf ~/snap
>
> Your versions will differ now, IIRC some snaps can not be deleted unless others are deleted first, due to dependencies,
> I suppose.
>
> Trying to (re-)install the Gnome meta package in Synaptic should work, it also selects snap as a dependency.

Try creating a file: /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref
like this (without <text> </text> lables):
<text>
# To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of Snap,
# this file forbids snapd from being installed by APT.
# For more information: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/snap.html
Package: snapd
Pin: release a=*
Pin-Priority: -10# To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of Snap,
# </text>
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
QOTD: http://alpha.mike-r.com/qotd.php
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
and: http://alpha.mike-r.com/jargon/T/top-post.html
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<63bc7735-d24a-565f-8cdf-72d6716f9639@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1933&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1933

From: t.vaem@gmail.com (vaem)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 21:54:04 +0200
 by: vaem - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:54 UTC

On 06.03.22 13:41, Ray Hughes wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have tried most distros over the years been a Linux user since the
> beginning. Before Linus started I was using Mark Williams Coherent in
> the late 80s. I think int came on 13 or 14 floppies.
>
> Later I was tempted to the dark side and bought a copy of Red Hat 6
> pack which included a full set of printed manual. I bought lots of
> magazines Lo' DVD cover disks. I was then a serious distro hopper
> but Hardy Heron on Ubuntu stopped all that.
>
> Apart from the occasional check on the "Opposition" I have been with
> Ubuntu since. Through all the pains of Unity and wayland and KDE woes
> I made it to 20.04.4 LTS
>
> Now its SNAPs arggggggggggggg I hat them.
>
> Slow
> Nasty
> Achingly slow
> Packages
>
> Slowly over the l ast couple of years every program/app is being snapped
> up!
>
> The software centre has become the snap-store.
>
> OK to the point I want a system as similar as possible to Ubuntu but
> without snaps.
>
> Yes, I understand why developers like them, they can get there apps on
> other OS's and CPU architecture pretty rapidly.
>
> I know some other distros are also using snaps or similar packaging
> apps.
>
> Surely one of Linux strengths was the shared library concept.
>
> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.
>
> RayH (The other one)

I tried flatpak, but I suggest first reading this:

The current solutions involve packaging entire alternate runtimes in
containerized environments. Flatpak, Snap, AppImage, Docker, and Steam:
these all provide an app packaging mechanism that replaces most or all
of the system’s runtime libraries, and they now all use containerization
to accomplish this.

Flatpak calls itself “the future of application distribution”. I am not
a fan. I’m going to outline here some of the technical, security and
usability problems with Flatpak and others. I’ll try to avoid addressing
“fixable” problems (like theming) and instead focus on fundamental
problems inherent in their design. I aim to convince you that these are
not the future of desktop Linux apps.
Size

Suppose you want to make a simple calculator app. How big should the
download be?

At the time of this writing, the latest KCalc AppImage (if you can even
figure out how to download it) is 152 MB. For a calculator.

https://ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future

Flatpak creates at Ubuntu a frankenstein OS that is actually installing
a lot of Redhat on top of Ubuntu. But it is very fast though, but
probably because everything is just kept in memory.

Flatpak actually should be called FATpak because it is really obese
after installing.

(No insult to obese people meant, my apologies)

Of snaps I can only say, it is exceptional slow even on high end
systems, and it gets slower and slower over time. It does not follow
Window Decoration, it requires to pull files towards your home folder to
access them e.g.

But snap, it keeps coming back. Some say snaps are slow because of the
compression files that are mounted on the fly. And Canonical is nowadays
experimenting with no compression options.

But Flatpak while very fast and having actual access to everything has
other side effects. It installs many core libraries on top of Ubuntu e.g.

Side effects is for example Flatpak has its own Network stack.

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<jb161nFovi0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1935&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1935

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:25:10 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 21:25 UTC

vaem wrote:
> The current solutions involve packaging entire alternate runtimes in
> containerized environments. Flatpak, Snap, AppImage, Docker, and
> Steam: these all provide an app packaging mechanism that replaces
> most or all of the system’s runtime libraries, and they now all use
> containerization to accomplish this.

Many of us prefer conventional packaging customized for our particular
version of a particular distro. Naturally 'we' (tinw) understand what a
burden this preference puts on all of those app dev/s who don't want to
be the ones who have to provide all of those myriad packages of their
app/s. That is 'understandable' -- but that doesn't mean we like the
features of the 'solutions'.

For those who want to gain insight into the strengths and weaknesses of
those various, now becoming 'numerous' alternate schemes, EasyOS has
another.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Ubuntu snaps

<20220405075832.51c554d1.mo01@posteo.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1936&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1936

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 07:58:32 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 05:58 UTC

Am Sonntag, 06. März 2022, um 12:41:29 Uhr schrieb Ray Hughes:

> I know there is much expertise in this group I am interested in your
> thoughts. I dont want to stay with Snappy buntu.

I still use Ubuntu 21.10, but I don't use snap. I don't use Firefox or
Chromium. I use Pale Moon and Claws Mail. PM needs its own apt repo.
I will stop using Ubuntu when they force users to use snap. I also run
Debian 11 on my Pentium M and Athlon XP machines. I may switch the
other machines to Debian if necessary.

Why I don't like snap: I takes much more space that normal deb packages.
squashfs filesystems are being mounted during the boot process and
increase the boot time (I use IDE disks on some computers). I don't
like that.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Ubuntu snaps