Pascal is a language for children wanting to be naughty. -- Dr. Kasi Ananthanarayanan

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

SubjectAuthor
* please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanbilsch01
+* Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanMarco Moock
|+* Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanbilsch01
||+- Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanPaul
||+- Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanMarco Moock
||`- Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanDan Purgert
|`- Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanmechanic
+* Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanMike Easter
|`- Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanMike Easter
`- Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' meanJanis Papanagnou

1
please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<svtrjp$kkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1880&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1880

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 12:08:19 -0800
 by: bilsch01 - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:08 UTC

Over the years I have used the black screen for entering text commands
to get things done in ubuntu (ubu). I think of the black screen as a
'terminal' interface, though I'm not sure if that is the correct word
for it. I never have been good at the 'shell script' language of linux
but have done much by pasting stuff into the terminal. I associate the
word 'gnome' with the terminal interface.

People also refer to something called 'unity' or 'unity interface' which
I always thought of as ubu's clickable icons and also the vertical bar
of icons along the left side of ubu's desktop screen.

QUESTION: Am I correct about 'gnome' and 'unity' ?
Please straighten me out if I an wrong.

TIA Bill S.

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<20220304211907.197ca512@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1881&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1881

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:19:07 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:19 UTC

Am Freitag, 04. März 2022, um 12:08:19 Uhr schrieb bilsch01:

> Over the years I have used the black screen for entering text
> commands to get things done in ubuntu (ubu). I think of the black
> screen as a 'terminal' interface, though I'm not sure if that is the
> correct word for it. I never have been good at the 'shell script'
> language of linux but have done much by pasting stuff into the
> terminal. I associate the word 'gnome' with the terminal interface.
>
> People also refer to something called 'unity' or 'unity interface'
> which I always thought of as ubu's clickable icons and also the
> vertical bar of icons along the left side of ubu's desktop screen.
>
> QUESTION: Am I correct about 'gnome' and 'unity' ?
> Please straighten me out if I an wrong.

The terminal window is a Terminal emulator, in Ubuntu the default is
gnome-terminal, but that is just a terminal emulator like xterm.

GNOME itself is a desktop environment available in many distributions
and the default in Ubuntu 17.10 and later.

Unity is also a desktop environment created by Canonical especially for
Ubuntu, but the development was discontinued in 2017.

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<svttla$5fq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1882&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1882

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 12:43:16 -0800
 by: bilsch01 - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:43 UTC

On 3/4/2022 12:19 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Freitag, 04. März 2022, um 12:08:19 Uhr schrieb bilsch01:
>
>> Over the years I have used the black screen for entering text
>> commands to get things done in ubuntu (ubu). I think of the black
>> screen as a 'terminal' interface, though I'm not sure if that is the
>> correct word for it. I never have been good at the 'shell script'
>> language of linux but have done much by pasting stuff into the
>> terminal. I associate the word 'gnome' with the terminal interface.
>>
>> People also refer to something called 'unity' or 'unity interface'
>> which I always thought of as ubu's clickable icons and also the
>> vertical bar of icons along the left side of ubu's desktop screen.
>>
>> QUESTION: Am I correct about 'gnome' and 'unity' ?
>> Please straighten me out if I an wrong.
>
> The terminal window is a Terminal emulator, in Ubuntu the default is
> gnome-terminal, but that is just a terminal emulator like xterm.
>
> GNOME itself is a desktop environment available in many distributions
> and the default in Ubuntu 17.10 and later.
>
> Unity is also a desktop environment created by Canonical especially for
> Ubuntu, but the development was discontinued in 2017.

I been using Ubu since about 2012 or 2014. I been using the terminal
interface and the clickable interfaces both ever since I started back
then. There have been minor changes in the GUI along the way - but not
much. I never noticed any difference in the terminal, though advances in
the scripting language I probably wouldn't have noticed. So what's the
talk I been hearing about 'unity' as opposed to 'gnome'.
I've used Ubu a lot over the years and don't understand unity vs. gnome
controversy. I just don't get it.

Bill S.

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<svu3g9$hm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1884&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1884

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 17:23:04 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 22:23 UTC

On 3/4/2022 3:43 PM, bilsch01 wrote:
> On 3/4/2022 12:19 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 04. März 2022, um 12:08:19 Uhr schrieb bilsch01:
>>
>>> Over the years I have used the black screen for entering text
>>> commands to get things done in ubuntu (ubu). I think of the black
>>> screen as a 'terminal' interface, though I'm not sure if that is the
>>> correct word for it. I never have been good at the 'shell script'
>>> language of linux but have done much by pasting stuff into the
>>> terminal. I associate the word 'gnome' with the terminal interface.
>>>
>>> People also refer to something called 'unity' or 'unity interface'
>>> which I always thought of as ubu's clickable icons and also the
>>> vertical bar of icons along the left side of ubu's desktop screen.
>>>
>>> QUESTION: Am I correct about 'gnome' and 'unity' ?
>>> Please straighten me out if I an wrong.
>>
>> The terminal window is a Terminal emulator, in Ubuntu the default is
>> gnome-terminal, but that is just a terminal emulator like xterm.
>>
>> GNOME itself is a desktop environment available in many distributions
>> and the default in Ubuntu 17.10 and later.
>>
>> Unity is also a desktop environment created by Canonical especially for
>> Ubuntu, but the development was discontinued in 2017.
>>

> I been using Ubu since about 2012 or 2014. I been using the terminal interface and the clickable interfaces both ever since I started back then. There have been minor changes in the GUI along the way - but not much. I never noticed any difference in the terminal, though advances in the scripting language I probably wouldn't have noticed. So what's the talk I been hearing about 'unity' as opposed to 'gnome'.
> I've used Ubu a lot over the years and don't understand unity vs. gnome controversy. I just don't get it.
>
> Bill S.

Here's an instance of Gnome.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/GNOME_Software_40.3_%28released_2021-03%29_--_dialog_boxes_and_other_tabs.png

And a Unity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Unity

*******

In Firefox, there is:

ui.use_unity_menubar False

which allows the traditional File:Edit:View menu bar to
be turned back on. Implying Unity is some part of the
newer Firefox interface. By them removing Preferences from the
Menu Bar, you have to use about:preferences . As opposed to
using the hamburger icon and searching around for it.
Settings == about:preferences

Paul

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<j8fltcFbprkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1886&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1886

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:32:59 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 23:32 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:
> Over the years I have used the black screen for entering text commands
> to get things done in ubuntu (ubu). I think of the black screen as a
> 'terminal' interface, though I'm not sure if that is the correct word
> for it.

It is commonly called a terminal or console; it is officially a
'terminal emulator' and Ub's is called gnome terminal. That is also
Mint's; Neon's is konsole.

One can get a better understanding of the concept of terminal *emulator*
from the wikipedia article.

> I never have been good at the 'shell script' language of linux
> but have done much by pasting stuff into the terminal. I associate the
> word 'gnome' with the terminal interface.

No; that is an incorrect association. The gnome word in this context
refers to the Gnome Project's Gnome desktop environment with its
associated parts, particularly the Gnome shell, which is important for
this discussion.

> People also refer to something called 'unity' or 'unity interface' which
> I always thought of as ubu's clickable icons and also the vertical bar
> of icons along the left side of ubu's desktop screen.

No; the word Unity in this context means several different things; what
you are describing above is just one particular appearance of the Unity
desktop.

> QUESTION: Am I correct about 'gnome' and 'unity' ?
> Please straighten me out if I an wrong.

You are not correct.

But Unity needs some describing because it has evolved, and its history
is important, because historical Unity is what some people think of Unity.

To me, the historical Unity (Ub 11.04) is the most important because of
its impact; that is the Unity from Ub when Ub/Canonical 'split' w/ its
unhappiness over Gnome Shell, just like Cinnamon and Mate split over the
Gnome Shell unhappiness.

In the long run, that unhappiness didn't work out at all for Canonical
and they had to go back to Gnome. That Unity just used all of the
numerous parts of Gnome's desktop except Gnome Shell; whereas the dev/s
for Cinnamon and Mate chose to fork the numerous Gnome DE pieces as well.

Today's Unity is a different subject, altho' it embraces a few of the
original ideas and has different names.

--
Mike Easter

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<j8fpfsFcdt4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1887&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1887

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:34:03 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 00:34 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> To me, the historical Unity (Ub 11.04) is the most important because
> of its impact; that is the Unity from Ub when Ub/Canonical 'split' w/
> its unhappiness over Gnome Shell, just like Cinnamon and Mate split
> over the Gnome Shell unhappiness.
>
> In the long run, that unhappiness didn't work out at all for
> Canonical and they had to go back to Gnome.

Here are some Shuttleworth words from 2012:

--
Mike Easter

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<20220305095533.3063f461@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1888&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1888

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 09:55:33 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 08:55 UTC

Am Freitag, 04. März 2022, um 12:43:16 Uhr schrieb bilsch01:

> I've used Ubu a lot over the years and don't understand unity vs.
> gnome controversy. I just don't get it.

GNOME isn't developed directly by Canonical (company that develops
Ubuntu). They use GNOME2 until 2011 in Ubuntu as the default desktop
environment and replaced it with Unity in 2011. The development of
Unity costs time and money so they decided to go back to GNOME, but
GNOME 3, in 2017. Unity is still developed by ubports:
https://ubports.com/nl/blog/ubports-blogs-nieuws-1/post/unity8-on-the-desktop-3100

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<svvhci$1qi4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1889&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1889

From: janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:26:10 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:26 UTC

On 04.03.2022 21:08, bilsch01 wrote:
> Over the years I have used the black screen for entering text commands
> to get things done in ubuntu (ubu). I think of the black screen as a
> 'terminal' interface, though I'm not sure if that is the correct word
> for it. I never have been good at the 'shell script' language of linux
> but have done much by pasting stuff into the terminal. I associate the
> word 'gnome' with the terminal interface.
>
> People also refer to something called 'unity' or 'unity interface' which
> I always thought of as ubu's clickable icons and also the vertical bar
> of icons along the left side of ubu's desktop screen.
>
> QUESTION: Am I correct about 'gnome' and 'unity' ?
> Please straighten me out if I an wrong.

You've already got some information and a few informative links. So I
just want to add an aspect or two. (Note that it's a rough description
not so much aimed at a precise technical definition but to show the
relation of some terms used in your post.)

The term terminal stems from days where you have the access point to
a computer separated from the processing unit. Terminals were stupid,
basically just accepting and forwarding keystrokes from the keyboard,
enhanced by control sequences. The devices usually were just green
or white text on black screens (no GUI elements like scroll bars, no
windowing, etc.). Later that was advanced by X-terminals where more
information was passed between the terminal client and servers, and
where windowing functionality was supported at the client (terminal)
side. Today on your computer you have both running, the X-server and
the X-clients.

What you see implemented on Linux systems and also called terminal runs
a shell, a program that is an interactive interface to the functions
of the operating systems. There are many different shells available on
Unix systems you may choose from (the bash shell is the quasi-standard
just on Linux, and you can change your shell). If you want to execute
only simple commands there's not much difference between shells (i.e.
WRT execution of the programs; there is a difference in the interactive
features, editing the command line, command completions, and so on).
The shell language is important if you use shell for programming more
complex tasks.

There's also an access to your system that uses no windowing layer,
often (also) referred to as terminal, and accessible (on my system)
by typing Ctrl-Alt-F1 (and F2..F6 respectively, for more than one
terminal session). (I can return to my windowing interface by typing
Ctrl-Alt-F7.)

Since communicating through shells is considered too technical for use
by ordinary (non-tech) people graphical interfaces had been invented.
These allow to do "everything that is usually necessary" by clicking
on GUI elements on the screen. The inherent problem of the approach is
that you just get what some developers have decided to be useful or
necessary, and also that you get the functionality the way that had
been considered as most comfortable (or most fancy) by the designers.

That's where different graphical systems appear, because any supported
graphical interface is hardly the right one for everyone. That's where
window managers appear. Luckily (on Unix systems) you have also the
choice to choose from a couple available window managers. You decide
whether it's a primitive one supporting the essentials in a clear way
(often a compact and fast one), or a more complex and/or a fancy one.

The various Unix systems and Linux distributions come with their own
standards for the default appearance of the system (Unity, Gnome, KDE).
Not surprising that there's many arguments, pros and cons, discussed.

Janis

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<jafkbubmsfn2.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1890&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1890

From: mechanic@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:45:39 +0000
 by: mechanic - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:45 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:19:07 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Unity is also a desktop environment created by Canonical especially for
> Ubuntu, but the development was discontinued in 2017.

Unity is a window manager, no? The desktop environment encompasses
more than the window manager such as various applications set as
defaults.

Re: please explain what 'unity' and 'gnome' mean

<slrnt26pof.k2j.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1891&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1891

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 13:34:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 13:34 UTC

--
|_|O|_|