From: info@cornica.org (Sebastian P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Why isn't there more activity here?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:38:24 +0200
 by: Sebastian P. - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:38 UTC

You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech and runs
fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to have at
least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?

On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?) Does
that even still work for accessing Usenet?

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<190420241649239529%vintageapplemac@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=189&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#189

From: vintageapplemac@gmail.com (scole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: Why isn't there more activity here?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:49:23 +0000
 by: scole - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:49 UTC

In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, Sebastian
P. <info@cornica.org> wrote:

> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech and
> runs
> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to have
> at
> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?

Agreed. I actually, as we speak, have an article in draft for
vintageapplemac.com where I'm encouraging Mac users to hit Usenet up,
now that "Eternal February" is with us post-Google, Usenet could be a
real boon for vintage computer users, almost our own enclave! I will be
posting it at the weekend, if I manage to entice a single vintage Mac
user to take a look here, that'd be a win.

> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
> Does
> that even still work for accessing Usenet?

No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<864jbp14pz.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=190&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#190

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:02:00 +0000
 by: John - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:02 UTC

scole <vintageapplemac@gmail.com> writes:

> In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, Sebastian
> P. <info@cornica.org> wrote:
>
>> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech and
>> runs
>> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
>> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to have
>> at
>> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?
>
> Agreed. I actually, as we speak, have an article in draft for
> vintageapplemac.com where I'm encouraging Mac users to hit Usenet up,
> now that "Eternal February" is with us post-Google, Usenet could be a
> real boon for vintage computer users, almost our own enclave! I will be
> posting it at the weekend, if I manage to entice a single vintage Mac
> user to take a look here, that'd be a win.

Good luck!

>> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
>> Does
>> that even still work for accessing Usenet?

You could use ZTerm to connect to a Unix system via serial or modem,
then run a command-line newsreader. Not very Mac-ish, of course.

> No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.

If you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear a comparison between
the various versions of NewsWatcher, e.g. YA-, MT-, VA-

john

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<contact-4259F0.12193626042024@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=191&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#191

From: contact@unixfiles.org (Knezzen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:19:36 +0200
 by: Knezzen - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 10:19 UTC

In article <864jbp14pz.fsf@building-m.net>,
John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

> scole <vintageapplemac@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, Sebastian
> > P. <info@cornica.org> wrote:
> >
> >> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech
> >> and
> >> runs
> >> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're
> >> talking
> >> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to
> >> have
> >> at
> >> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?
> >
> > Agreed. I actually, as we speak, have an article in draft for
> > vintageapplemac.com where I'm encouraging Mac users to hit Usenet up,
> > now that "Eternal February" is with us post-Google, Usenet could be a
> > real boon for vintage computer users, almost our own enclave! I will be
> > posting it at the weekend, if I manage to entice a single vintage Mac
> > user to take a look here, that'd be a win.
>
> Good luck!
>
> >> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
> >> Does
> >> that even still work for accessing Usenet?
>
> You could use ZTerm to connect to a Unix system via serial or modem,
> then run a command-line newsreader. Not very Mac-ish, of course.
>

> > No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.
>
> If you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear a comparison between
> the various versions of NewsWatcher, e.g. YA-, MT-, VA-
>

> john

Usenet is really vintage friendly, indeed. And there's plenty of
newsreaders around that work really well. I'm using MT-NewsWatcher to
write this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Let's hope for a UseNet renaissance!

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<86zftgyu73.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=192&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#192

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:17:36 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

Knezzen <contact@unixfiles.org> writes:

> Usenet is really vintage friendly, indeed. And there's plenty of
> newsreaders around that work really well. I'm using MT-NewsWatcher to
> write this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.
>
> Let's hope for a UseNet renaissance!

I have no doubt Usenet will outlive the last set of non-broken TiBook
hinges.

One reason I don't use mine much anymore is the terrible groaning creak
it makes when I open the lid. I just dread that inevitable CRACK.

john

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<1qsn33n.1wsed811ruzn62N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#193

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:50:19 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:50 UTC

Knezzen <contact@unixfiles.org> wrote:

[...]
> Usenet is really vintage friendly, indeed. And there's plenty of
> newsreaders around that work really well. I'm using MT-NewsWatcher to
> write this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.

I'm using MacSOUP 2.4.6 on a beige G3 running OS 8.6

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk