"Protozoa are small, and bacteria are small, but viruses are smaller than the both put together."

computers / news.software.nntp / new inn2 setup, how to sync?

SubjectAuthor
* new inn2 setup, how to sync?rek2 hispagatos
+* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Marco Moock
|`- Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Syber Shock
+* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Nigel Reed
|`- Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Julien ÉLIE
`* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Julien ÉLIE
 `* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?rek2 hispagatos
  `* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Julien ÉLIE
   +- Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Russ Allbery
   `* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?rek2 hispagatos
    `* Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?rek2 hispagatos
     `- Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?Julien ÉLIE

1
new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8ihpe$29fe$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1879&group=news.software.nntp#1879

Followup: news.software.nntp
From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: new inn2 setup, how to sync?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 03:20:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 03:20 UTC

Hello during last weekend I finally made the step and installed inn2,
seems to be working, have 2 peers so far and pulled the active newslist
from isc ftp etc. But all newsgroups are empty, but the ones I get from
this last days from my peers. There are so much information from so many
years is kind of hard to keep up with the recommended ways or what tools
people are using today in 2023 so my questions are:

- how can I popular groups for lets say 30 days instead of getting new
ones? I am sure I put 15 days on the inn.conf
- is good to run actsyncd? is there a better tool? should I run it once
like I did when I installed the server, or keep running it like every
day or week or month etc?
- are there any recomended web/gemini program/app to allow people to
subscribe? I am using sha256 generated with openssl into a file and
ckpasswd is authentificating from there, but I do not want to manually
create/add each time, I can crate a go/rust interface for this but
checking first so I do not reinvent the whell.

Thanks!
Happy Hacking

--
{gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8it9h$2rgou$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1880&group=news.software.nntp#1880

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:36:33 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 06:36 UTC

Am 11.07.2023 um 03:20:14 Uhr schrieb rek2 hispagatos:

> But all newsgroups are empty, but the ones I get from this last days
> from my peers. There are so much information from so many years is
> kind of hard to keep up with the recommended ways or what tools
> people are using today in 2023 so my questions are:

They are going to be filled by the incoming feeds, but only with new
posts. To get the older ones, your feeders need to give you the old
posts. I don't know if that is directly possible with INN or whatever
NNTP software they use.

> - how can I popular groups for lets say 30 days instead of getting new
> ones? I am sure I put 15 days on the inn.conf

Please explain what you exactly want.

> - are there any recomended web/gemini program/app to allow people to
> subscribe?

There is rocksolid light, which is a web gateway to NNTP.
You can install that on your machine.

https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<20230711034433.06e7fa51@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1881&group=news.software.nntp#1881

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 03:44:33 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:44 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 03:20:14 -0000 (UTC)
rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:

> Hello during last weekend I finally made the step and installed inn2,
> seems to be working, have 2 peers so far and pulled the active
> newslist from isc ftp etc. But all newsgroups are empty, but the ones
> I get from this last days from my peers. There are so much
> information from so many years is kind of hard to keep up with the
> recommended ways or what tools people are using today in 2023 so my
> questions are:
>
> - how can I popular groups for lets say 30 days instead of getting new
> ones? I am sure I put 15 days on the inn.conf
> - is good to run actsyncd? is there a better tool? should I run it
> once like I did when I installed the server, or keep running it like
> every day or week or month etc?
> - are there any recomended web/gemini program/app to allow people to
> subscribe? I am using sha256 generated with openssl into a file and
> ckpasswd is authentificating from there, but I do not want to
> manually create/add each time, I can crate a go/rust interface for
> this but checking first so I do not reinvent the whell.
>
> Thanks!
> Happy Hacking

If someone can explain to me how I send you a backlog of 30 days news,
I'd be happy to do it, but it'll require some config on your end so as
not to send those articles on.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<09f9aaaf4a47071e7ff3d58b6a47d0ae$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1882&group=news.software.nntp#1882

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 04:01:12 -0500
logging-data="2152659"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:01 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:36:33 +0200
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> > - are there any recomended web/gemini program/app to allow people to
> > subscribe?
>
> There is rocksolid light, which is a web gateway to NNTP.
> You can install that on your machine.
>
> https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light

Rocksolid Light is a NNTP server with a web forum front end. Here is
the maintainter's demo site:

https://news.novabbs.org

I am running it and tweaking it to eventually create a work environment
for things that interest me, especially cryptology, linguistics, and
textual criticism. The NNTP thread model is good for these subjects.
The nice thing about the web front end is quick access by date to
threads from multiple newsgroups in one section page.

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8k9a8$39uvt$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1886&group=news.software.nntp#1886

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:07:52 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:07 UTC

Hi Nigel,

> If someone can explain to me how I send you a backlog of 30 days news,
> I'd be happy to do it, but it'll require some config on your end so as
> not to send those articles on.

The script provided in the FAQ "6.4. Feed all articles on a server to
another server" can be helpful for that:
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.4

% convdate -n '01 Jun 2023 00:00 +0000'
1685577600

cd <pathdb in inn.conf>
perl -ne 'chomp; our ($hash, $timestamps, $_) = split " "; \
my ($arrived, $expires, $posted) = split("~", $timestamps); \
print "$_\n" if $_ and $arrived >= 1685577600 history \
| tr . / > <pathoutgoing in inn.conf>/list

will generate a file named "list" containing the storage tokens of
articles arrived after June, 1st 2023 on your news server.
And you run the following command to send these articles to "server":

innxmit server list

The receiving site should be configured to accept old articles and
temporarily use a newsfeeds file without any outgoing sites.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Vous savez, les idées, elles sont dans l'air. Il suffit que quelqu'un
vous en parle de trop près, pour que vous les attrapiez ! » (Raymond
Devos)

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8k9r7$39uvt$2@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1887&group=news.software.nntp#1887

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:16:55 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:16 UTC

Hi rek2,

> Hello during last weekend I finally made the step and installed inn2,
> seems to be working

Do you happen to have followed the CHECKLIST?
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/checklist.html

In case you found out something unclear or missing in INN documentation,
do not hesitate to tell so as to improve it!

> - how can I popular groups for lets say 30 days instead of getting new
> ones? I am sure I put 15 days on the inn.conf

You may want one of you peer to re-feed you its spool, or use pullnews
to download old articles yourself (acting like a news reader):
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/pullnews.html

Note that even with that, you'll still end up having empty newsgroups.
Lots of the newsgroups listed in ftp.isc.org haven't seen any discussion
since ages.

> - is good to run actsyncd? is there a better tool? should I run it once
> like I did when I installed the server, or keep running it like every
> day or week or month etc?

Yes, the recommendation from the documentation is to run actsyncd out of
cron on a daily basis:
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/actsync.html

It's far easier than to set up control messages, which anyway are still
in use by very few hierarchies.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Vous savez, les idées, elles sont dans l'air. Il suffit que quelqu'un
vous en parle de trop près, pour que vous les attrapiez ! » (Raymond
Devos)

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8kk1d$3gor$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1888&group=news.software.nntp#1888

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:10:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:10 UTC

Thanks! yeah I will take a look at all the info you send me, thank you
for this.

Is not that is hard, or confusing, is that "is a lot" so someone that
has not setup a nntp server before is going thru the steps and is
wondering a lot of questions, like mine, also I found non-official
guides that were great, bu were made in 2001 1998 etc so not sure what
to trust knowing how much software changes just in 5 years.
One thing I was super confused is why I did not see all the articles I
see when I directly log into eternal-september with my account, then I
notice they indeed were comming in, but was getting rejected, I had to
do a lot of research to find out that if you do not have it already
locally it will get rejected(had no idea of this) This opened a new
question and is when I found out about actync but of course there are
similar ways to pull it and was not totally 100% how and which people
are using now a days.. and so on.. so technically the official docs have
everything, is the overall, like what does what, and if is needed or optional,
and which are recomended and why, is kind of what got me confused was
missing pieces that goes beyong installing inn and configuring inn.conf
( this was the easier part ).

Also after you start to see it working in action then everything in the
official documentation starts to make sense.

I have added actsync and have this time configured better to pull alt.*
and es.* etc that I did not had before because was using the raw example
one on /etc/inn/

Now what I have left is to learn tricks here and there, I was asking for
older articles mostly because there are some I subscribe to that I
missed threads from last weeks but is no big deal I can just let it come
in as they get created.

Thank you!

On 2023-07-11, Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hi rek2,
>
>> Hello during last weekend I finally made the step and installed inn2,
>> seems to be working
>
> Do you happen to have followed the CHECKLIST?
> https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/checklist.html
>
> In case you found out something unclear or missing in INN documentation,
> do not hesitate to tell so as to improve it!
>

>> - how can I popular groups for lets say 30 days instead of getting new
>> ones? I am sure I put 15 days on the inn.conf
>
> You may want one of you peer to re-feed you its spool, or use pullnews
> to download old articles yourself (acting like a news reader):
> https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/pullnews.html
>
> Note that even with that, you'll still end up having empty newsgroups.
> Lots of the newsgroups listed in ftp.isc.org haven't seen any discussion
> since ages.
>

>> - is good to run actsyncd? is there a better tool? should I run it once
>> like I did when I installed the server, or keep running it like every
>> day or week or month etc?
>
> Yes, the recommendation from the documentation is to run actsyncd out of
> cron on a daily basis:
> https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/actsync.html
>
> It's far easier than to set up control messages, which anyway are still
> in use by very few hierarchies.

--
{gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8rj55$3et5t$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1892&group=news.software.nntp#1892

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:38:45 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:38 UTC

Hi rek2,

> Is not that is hard, or confusing, is that "is a lot" so someone that
> has not setup a nntp server before is going thru the steps and is
> wondering a lot of questions, like mine
> One thing I was super confused is why I did not see all the articles I
> see when I directly log into eternal-september with my account, then I
> notice they indeed were comming in, but was getting rejected, I had to
> do a lot of research to find out that if you do not have it already
> locally it will get rejected(had no idea of this) This opened a new
> question and is when I found out about actync but of course there are
> similar ways to pull it and was not totally 100% how and which people
> are using now a days.. and so on.. so technically the official docs have
> everything.

Many thanks for your feedback; it is greatly appreciated.

> the overall, like what does what, and if is needed or optional,
> and which are recomended and why, is kind of what got me confused was
> missing pieces that goes beyong installing inn and configuring inn.conf
> ( this was the easier part ).

Noted. This is clearly missing right now, and would be very useful to
have. (Added to the to-do list.)

> Also after you start to see it working in action then everything in the
> official documentation starts to make sense.

:)

> I have added actsync and have this time configured better to pull alt.*
> and es.* etc that I did not had before because was using the raw example
> one on /etc/inn/

Incidentally, do you know the state of the es.* hierarchy? Is it still
alive and frequented?
The web site of this hierarchy no longer exists
(http://www.corus-es.org/)... No changes since 2006:
http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/es.html

And what for the esp.* hierarchy? Its web page is no longer here
(http://ennui.org/esp/), no changes since 2004:
http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/esp.html

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Il t'arrive une tuile ?
– Oui, je ne peux pas payer mon ardoise. »

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<87mszy4irl.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1893&group=news.software.nntp#1893

From: eagle@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 08:25:50 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:25 UTC

Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> writes:

> And what for the esp.* hierarchy? Its web page is no longer here
> (http://ennui.org/esp/), no changes since 2004:
> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/esp.html

I still see rone around here and there, but I don't think he's active on
Usenet any more.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8s38m$2hs0$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1894&group=news.software.nntp#1894

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:13:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:13 UTC

On 2023-07-14, Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Incidentally, do you know the state of the es.* hierarchy? Is it still
> alive and frequented?
> The web site of this hierarchy no longer exists
> (http://www.corus-es.org/)... No changes since 2006:
> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/es.html
>
> And what for the esp.* hierarchy? Its web page is no longer here
> (http://ennui.org/esp/), no changes since 2004:
> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/esp.html

Hello no idea, specially because even do I am from Spain I moved to the
US for work in 1997 and was there for 20 years and came back recently so
my involvent with anything hacking,linux,unix,freesoftware etc etc is
all been in the US only lately I got back and started a 2600 meeting for
Madrid every first friday of the month! you welcome to come :)
gemini://2600.Madrid
https://2600.Madrid

Happy Hacking
--
{gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<u8s3ct$2hs0$2@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1895&group=news.software.nntp#1895

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:15:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:15 UTC

On 2023-07-14, rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-14, Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Incidentally, do you know the state of the es.* hierarchy? Is it still
>> alive and frequented?
>> The web site of this hierarchy no longer exists
>> (http://www.corus-es.org/)... No changes since 2006:
>> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/es.html
>>
>> And what for the esp.* hierarchy? Its web page is no longer here
>> (http://ennui.org/esp/), no changes since 2004:
>> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/esp.html
>

> Hello no idea, specially because even do I am from Spain I moved to the
> US for work in 1997 and was there for 20 years and came back recently so
> my involvent with anything hacking,linux,unix,freesoftware etc etc is
> all been in the US only lately I got back and started a 2600 meeting for
> Madrid every first friday of the month! you welcome to come :)
> gemini://2600.Madrid
> https://2600.Madrid
>
> Happy Hacking

Following up on the original topic, I am back in Spain so if I can help
with those es.* esp.* in anyway let me know and I see what I can do.

Cheers
Happy Hacking

--
{gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: new inn2 setup, how to sync?

<ua420m$9obe$2@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2012&group=news.software.nntp#2012

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:57:42 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:57 UTC

Hi rek2,

> Following up on the original topic, I am back in Spain so if I can help
> with those es.* esp.* in anyway let me know and I see what I can do.

There's naturally no obligation in this message.
If you feel motivated, and if es.* and esp.* are still somehow active
with valuable contributors, then it may be worthwhile "reviving" them
and administering them with control articles to create new groups and
possibly remove obsolete ones.

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/usenet-hier.html

Of course if that sounds useful to do. I don't know if there's still a
wish from current Spanish-speaking contributors to discuss subjects for
which there is no newsgroup in es.* or esp.*; if that's the case, that
would be useful. And otherwise, well, these hierarchies still do the
job and can go on frozen like now.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Loving unconditional means forgiving and learning to live with his
imperfections. Because in the end you'll realize that it is what you
love the most. »