In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble. -- Alan Perlis

computers / alt.windows7.general / "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

SubjectAuthor
* "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
+* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Nelson Glover
|`- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
+* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"VanguardLH
|`* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
| `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"VanguardLH
|  `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
|   `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"J. P. Gilliver (John)
|    `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"VanguardLH
|     `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
|      `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"VanguardLH
|       `- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
+* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Wolffan
|+* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"J. P. Gilliver (John)
||`- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
|`* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
| `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"VanguardLH
|  `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"J. P. Gilliver (John)
|   `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"VanguardLH
|    `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
|     `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Java Jive
|      `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
|       `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Java Jive
|        `- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
`* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Paul
 `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
  `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
   `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Paul
    +* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Java Jive
    |+* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Java Jive
    ||`- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Java Jive
    |`- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
    `* Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover
     `- Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"Norman B. Grover

Pages:12
"Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1865&group=alt.windows7.general#1865

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:25:56 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:25 UTC

[This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
disk.

It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
(keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
here may be able to help.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<%iyGI.640771$co68.246471@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1866&group=alt.windows7.general#1866

From: nelson@bir-tawil.eg (Nelson Glover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:52:15 +0200
 by: Nelson Glover - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:52 UTC

Norman B. Grover wrote:

> [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]

??? Your post does not appear to be a followup to anything. It
has no references header, no cited author, and no quoted text.

> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> disk.
>
> It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> here may be able to help.

This sounds like it could be a BIOS setting, not a Windows 7 setting.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<1db3j9oxg2nzn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1867&group=alt.windows7.general#1867

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 05:10:25 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:10 UTC

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:

From your headers:

Ignored.

> [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]

When you post to Usenet, the thread stays in Usenet. No e-mail. This
is not a malware diagnosis, rape, or other newsgroup where sensitive
information might be taken offline via e-mail from Usenet. When you
post to Usenet, you return to Usenet to check for replies.

> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not
> press any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my
> Windows 7 Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find.
> I have two DVD drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD
> drives are empty or contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot
> normally from the system disk.
>
> It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope
> someone here may be able to help.

Is the DVD drive internal or external? If external, how is it connected
to your computer?

Go into BIOS/UEFI to check its boot device order (also mentioned by
Glover). You didn't mention your brand and model of motherboard, or of
the computer for a prebuilt, so no one here can read the manual to you
to show you where is the setting. If you built the computer, you should
have a rather comprehensive manual for the motherboard, and it will
describe the BIOS settings. If you bought a pre-built, often the
manuals are dismal, but there may be online articles on the boot device
order settings; however, knowing it is the boot device order may be
sufficient for you to go into BIOS to look for the setting.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<0001HW.269B15830EB24E5370000CB8038F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1872&group=alt.windows7.general#1872

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:03:15 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 12:03 UTC

On 2021 Jul 11, Norman B. Grover wrote
(in article<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>):

> [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]
>
> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> disk.

you have the optical drives set as bootable drives, and ahead of the hard
drive. Tghat’s in your BIOS. You need to get to your BIOS and change the
boot order. Some systems have a key combo which allows changing the boot
order on startup. If you have one of those, use the key combo instead of
messing with the BIOS.

you might try https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-boot-order-in-windows for
Win 10.
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht117661-how-to-change-the-boot-
order-in-bios-for-windows-7-8-81-10 is Lenovo-specific, but the generic Win 7
method should work.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-
boot-sequence-for-windows-7/301f7d1a-d498-4032-8a29-9162fc4dff62 is Ye
Official MS method.

> It was suggested I try removing my USB connections,

Which idiot suggested _that_? A MSB non-support minion? Someone else, even
less useful than a MS non-support minion?
> which I did
> (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> here may be able to help.

you didn’t look very hard or weren’t looking for the correct thing.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<scfea7$qaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1879&group=alt.windows7.general#1879

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:46:31 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:46 UTC

Norman B. Grover wrote:
> [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]
>
> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> disk.
>
> It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> here may be able to help.

It's OK to have a boot order like:

Floppy
Optical drive
Hard drive

The "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ..." allows bootable
optical media to be ignored, and the Hard Drive to boot instead.

However, yours is not working.

At a guess, you could have been tapping the keyboard before the
boot process started, and there was a key press in the input buffer at
the time. But this is highly unlikely.

Some legacy BIOS have a "put back" option. They are capable of
taking a character from a USB keyboard, and placing that
character into the SuperI/O PS/2 register, making for
"PS/2 compatibility" behavior. You could check the USB
BIOS page (sometimes this is a separate tab section
in a legacy BIOS), and see if the "put back" behavior has
been enabled. Disable and retest.

Paul

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<XYcFdNp8yz6gFwZy@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1880&group=alt.windows7.general#1880

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 19:47:24 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:47 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 at 08:03:15, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote (my
>On 2021 Jul 11, Norman B. Grover wrote
>(in article<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>):
[]
>> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
>> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
>> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
>> any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
[]
>you have the optical drives set as bootable drives, and ahead of the hard
>drive. Tghat’s in your BIOS. You need to get to your BIOS and change the
>boot order. Some systems have a key combo which allows changing the boot
>order on startup. If you have one of those, use the key combo instead of
>messing with the BIOS.
[]
But why is he getting the message, and his lack-of-keypress then being
ignored?

Surely, if his BIOS is set to try the HD first, he ought not to see the
message (assuming his HD has a bootable OS on it); if his BIOS is set to
try the CD/DVD first, and does indeed find a bootable disc there, _and_
puts up that message, then it ought to pay attention to his action (or
lack thereof). If it doesn't, what's the point of the message?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b562e3c91518b95989681@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1889&group=alt.windows7.general#1889

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:47:57 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:47 UTC

Grover wrote:

> > [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> > the cited author.]
>
> ??? Your post does not appear to be a followup to anything. It
> has no references header, no cited author, and no quoted text.

Yes, you are quite right. Wrong header. Sorry.

> > When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> > message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> > seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> > any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> > Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> > drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> > contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> > disk.
> >
> > It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> > (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> > difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> > here may be able to help.
>
> This sounds like it could be a BIOS setting, not a Windows 7 setting.

It probably is. Perhaps Paul (see below) is on the right track.

Thank you for trying to help.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b5631b6b94cc599989682@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1890&group=alt.windows7.general#1890

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:02:47 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:02 UTC

In article <1db3j9oxg2nzn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, V@nguard.LH says...

> "Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
> From your headers:

> Ignored.
>
> > [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> > the cited author.]
>
> When you post to Usenet, the thread stays in Usenet. No e-mail. This
> is not a malware diagnosis, rape, or other newsgroup where sensitive
> information might be taken offline via e-mail from Usenet. When you
> post to Usenet, you return to Usenet to check for replies.

This is my first post here in years. I didn't remember the format. I hope
no one was offended. I'll be more careful next time.

> > When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> > message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> > seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not
> > press any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my
> > Windows 7 Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find.
> > I have two DVD drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD
> > drives are empty or contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot
> > normally from the system disk.
> >
> > It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> > (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> > difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope
> > someone here may be able to help.
>
> Is the DVD drive internal or external? If external, how is it connected
> to your computer?

Both DVD drives are internal.

> Go into BIOS/UEFI to check its boot device order (also mentioned by
> Glover). You didn't mention your brand and model of motherboard, or of
> the computer for a prebuilt, so no one here can read the manual to you
> to show you where is the setting. If you built the computer, you should
> have a rather comprehensive manual for the motherboard, and it will
> describe the BIOS settings. If you bought a pre-built, often the
> manuals are dismal, but there may be online articles on the boot device
> order settings; however, knowing it is the boot device order may be
> sufficient for you to go into BIOS to look for the setting.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-D3H
Bios: F5 (03/07/2016)
There is nothing the matter with the boot order: 1st DVD
2nd HDD
That is what I want and that is what actually happens; the problem occurs
after the boot from the DVD.

Thank you for trying to help.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b5633a2ed7aceef989683@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1891&group=alt.windows7.general#1891

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:11:08 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:11 UTC

In article <0001HW.269B15830EB24E5370000CB8038F@news.supernews.com>,
akwolffan@zoho.com says...

> On 2021 Jul 11, Norman B. Grover wrote
> (in article<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> > the cited author.]
> >
> > When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> > message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> > seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> > any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> > Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> > drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> > contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> > disk.
>
> you have the optical drives set as bootable drives, and ahead of the hard
> drive. Tghat?s in your BIOS. You need to get to your BIOS and change the
> boot order. Some systems have a key combo which allows changing the boot
> order on startup. If you have one of those, use the key combo instead of
> messing with the BIOS.

The boot order is correct as set: 1st DVD
2nd HDD
That is how I want it and that is what actually happens, the problem
occurs after the boot from the DVD.

> you might try https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-boot-order-in-windows for
> Win 10.
> https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht117661-how-to-change-the-boot-
> order-in-bios-for-windows-7-8-81-10 is Lenovo-specific, but the generic Win 7
> method should work.
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-
> boot-sequence-for-windows-7/301f7d1a-d498-4032-8a29-9162fc4dff62 is Ye
> Official MS method.
>

> > It was suggested I try removing my USB connections,
>
> Which idiot suggested _that_? A MSB non-support minion? Someone else, even
> less useful than a MS non-support minion?

A well-meaning computer engineer.

> > which I did
> > (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> > difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> > here may be able to help.
>
> you didn?t look very hard or weren?t looking for the correct thing.

Or the correct thing is not as simple as you think.

Thank you for trying to help.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b5634a01e84b20f989684@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1892&group=alt.windows7.general#1892

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:15:18 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:15 UTC

In article <XYcFdNp8yz6gFwZy@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk says...

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 at 08:03:15, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote (my
> >On 2021 Jul 11, Norman B. Grover wrote
> >(in article<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>):
> []
> >> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> >> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> >> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> >> any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> []
> >you have the optical drives set as bootable drives, and ahead of the hard
> >drive. Tghat?s in your BIOS. You need to get to your BIOS and change the
> >boot order. Some systems have a key combo which allows changing the boot
> >order on startup. If you have one of those, use the key combo instead of
> >messing with the BIOS.
> []
> But why is he getting the message, and his lack-of-keypress then being
> ignored?
>
> Surely, if his BIOS is set to try the HD first, he ought not to see the
> message (assuming his HD has a bootable OS on it); if his BIOS is set to
> try the CD/DVD first, and does indeed find a bootable disc there, _and_
> puts up that message, then it ought to pay attention to his action (or
> lack thereof). If it doesn't, what's the point of the message?

Exactly! Thank you for clarifying the issue.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b563af18af3b49b989685@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1893&group=alt.windows7.general#1893

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:42:09 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:42 UTC

In article <scfea7$qaq$1@dont-email.me>, nospam@needed.invalid says...

> Norman B. Grover wrote:
> > [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> > the cited author.]
> >
> > When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> > message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> > seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> > any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> > Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> > drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> > contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> > disk.
> >
> > It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> > (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> > difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> > here may be able to help.
>
> It's OK to have a boot order like:
>
> Floppy
> Optical drive
> Hard drive
>
> The "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ..." allows bootable
> optical media to be ignored, and the Hard Drive to boot instead.
>
> However, yours is not working.
>
> At a guess, you could have been tapping the keyboard before the
> boot process started, and there was a key press in the input buffer at
> the time. But this is highly unlikely.

It occurs even when the keyboard is disconnected.

> Some legacy BIOS have a "put back" option. They are capable of
> taking a character from a USB keyboard, and placing that
> character into the SuperI/O PS/2 register, making for
> "PS/2 compatibility" behavior. You could check the USB
> BIOS page (sometimes this is a separate tab section
> in a legacy BIOS), and see if the "put back" behavior has
> been enabled. Disable and retest.

This is a real possibility. I am at work now and the problem is with my
home machine. The two machines (home and work) are virtually identical as
regards both hardware and software except, of course, for the bug that it
the subject of this post.
I looked at the bios here (at work) and found nothing relevant under the
Bios Features tab but there is also a Peripherals tab as you thought
there might be and it has a section labelled Super IO Configuration,
under which there is an entry called System Super IO Chip Parameters.
Here at work it does not appear to contain anything adjustable, but I'll
have a look at this part of the bios on my home this evening.
Thank you very much for your reply. So far, you are the only one to
propose a possible solution.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b568d871bf8deed989680@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1897&group=alt.windows7.general#1897

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:34:37 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:34 UTC

article <MPG.3b563af18af3b49b989685@news.eternal-september.org>,
norman@md.huji.ac.il says...

> In article <scfea7$qaq$1@dont-email.me>, nospam@needed.invalid says...
> >
> > Norman B. Grover wrote:
> > > [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
> > > the cited author.]
> > >
> > > When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
> > > message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
> > > seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
> > > any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
> > > Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
> > > drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
> > > contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
> > > disk.
> > >
> > > It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
> > > (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
> > > difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope someone
> > > here may be able to help.
> >
> > It's OK to have a boot order like:
> >
> > Floppy
> > Optical drive
> > Hard drive
> >
> > The "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ..." allows bootable
> > optical media to be ignored, and the Hard Drive to boot instead.
> >
> > However, yours is not working.
> >
> > At a guess, you could have been tapping the keyboard before the
> > boot process started, and there was a key press in the input buffer at
> > the time. But this is highly unlikely.
>
> It occurs even when the keyboard is disconnected.
>

> > Some legacy BIOS have a "put back" option. They are capable of
> > taking a character from a USB keyboard, and placing that
> > character into the SuperI/O PS/2 register, making for
> > "PS/2 compatibility" behavior. You could check the USB
> > BIOS page (sometimes this is a separate tab section
> > in a legacy BIOS), and see if the "put back" behavior has
> > been enabled. Disable and retest.
>
> This is a real possibility. I am at work now and the problem is with my
> home machine. The two machines (home and work) are virtually identical as
> regards both hardware and software except, of course, for the bug that it
> the subject of this post.
> I looked at the bios here (at work) and found nothing relevant under the
> Bios Features tab but there is also a Peripherals tab as you thought
> there might be and it has a section labelled Super IO Configuration,
> under which there is an entry called System Super IO Chip Parameters.
> Here at work it does not appear to contain anything adjustable, but I'll
> have a look at this part of the bios on my home this evening.
> Thank you very much for your reply. So far, you are the only one to
> propose a possible solution.

The Super IO configuration section at home displays the same label as at
work: "System Super IO Chip Parameters", and here too the space under the
label is blank. In the Peripherals tab there is also an item called
Legacy USB Support, and it is enabled; there is no mention of PS/2
anywhere.
Where do I go from here?

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<schoc9$15v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1898&group=alt.windows7.general#1898

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:50:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:50 UTC

Norman B. Grover wrote:

> The Super IO configuration section at home displays the same label as at
> work: "System Super IO Chip Parameters", and here too the space under the
> label is blank. In the Peripherals tab there is also an item called
> Legacy USB Support, and it is enabled; there is no mention of PS/2
> anywhere.
> Where do I go from here?

If you disable Legacy USB Support, maybe that will
make a difference.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/What-is-Legacy-USB-Support/td-p/1771579

"The Legacy USB Support option only provides support of
the USB ports during boot up and for other activities
when the operating system isn't fully loaded."

"Legacy USB Support

Enable this option if you're using a USB keyboard or USB mouse
and you want to use them in the BIOS setup screen, DOS, or some
other environment outside of Windows."

The "push back PS2 buffer concept", said that when a key press
came in on USB, the BIOS would place the key press info in the
PS2 hardware buffer. Then, an OS such as bare-metal MSDOS would
(using its PS2-only driver), read the character.

I would look up some better wording for this on the old Rojakpot,
but archives of it don't work properly.

The intention was, to make a mechanism where MSDOS could run, without
a USB HID driver. MSDOS relied on the BIOS for IO, rather than there
being a handoff at boot time and MSDOS doing everything for itself.
Some things just weren't handled, period, which is why optical
drives in MSDOS, there were several third party solutions for that.
Since MSDOS understood PS2, they found a way to make USB keyboard
input, appear in the PS2 hardware buffer (BIOS "magic").

The only danger of disabling USB legacy support, would be an inability
to enter the BIOS a second time and turn it back on. If the machine has
a PS2 connector, you could always connect a PS2 keyboard and do some testing
that way. PS/2 is not hot plug compatible, and as best you can,
PS/2 peripherals should only be plugged in with all power removed.

My Optiplex 780 for example, tends to remove +5VSB from ports
when the OS shuts down, and that would be an example of an ideal
power situation. Whereas my Asus motherboards leave +5VSB on the PS/2 connector
at shutdown - to connect PS/2 safely here, I switch off the PSU
using the switch on the back of my home built machines.

Paul

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<schq5h$1msm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1899&group=alt.windows7.general#1899

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:21:01 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:21 UTC

On 12/07/2021 16:50, Paul wrote:

> Norman B. Grover wrote:
>>
>> The Super IO configuration section at home displays the same label as
>> at work: "System Super IO Chip Parameters", and here too the space
>> under the label is blank. In the Peripherals tab there is also an item
>> called Legacy USB Support, and it is enabled; there is no mention of
>> PS/2 anywhere.
>> Where do I go from here?
>
> If you disable Legacy USB Support, maybe that will
> make a difference.
>
> https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/What-is-Legacy-USB-Support/td-p/1771579
>

>    "The Legacy USB Support option only provides support of
>     the USB ports during boot up and for other activities
>     when the operating system isn't fully loaded."
>
> "Legacy USB Support
>
>    Enable this option if you're using a USB keyboard or USB mouse
>    and you want to use them in the BIOS setup screen, DOS, or some
>    other environment outside of Windows."

All true, but I don't think that'll make any difference. Perhaps he has
a faulty laptop keyboard or a stuck key that is sending spurious
keystrokes, probably something like a shift, control, or caps lock
otherwise he'd notice untyped characters appearing in anything he typed.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<schqji$1tk7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1900&group=alt.windows7.general#1900

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:28:31 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:28 UTC

On 12/07/2021 17:21, Java Jive wrote:

Sorry about the above, somehow Chunderbird unquoted and restored Paul's
contribution, much of which I'd snipped, and hid what I'd typed in
reply, which only became visible when I began to type this apology, and was:

> All true, but I don't think that'll make any difference.  Perhaps he has
> a faulty laptop keyboard or a stuck key that is sending spurious
> keystrokes, probably something like a shift, control, or caps lock
> otherwise he'd notice untyped characters appearing in anything he typed.
--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<schqm5$1tk7$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1901&group=alt.windows7.general#1901

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:29:57 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:29 UTC

On 12/07/2021 17:28, Java Jive wrote:
> On 12/07/2021 17:21, Java Jive wrote:
> >

> Sorry about the above, somehow Chunderbird unquoted and restored Paul's
> contribution, much of which I'd snipped, and hid what I'd typed in
> reply, which only became visible when I began to type this apology, and
> was:
>
>> All true, but I don't think that'll make any difference.  Perhaps he
>> has a faulty laptop keyboard or a stuck key that is sending spurious
>> keystrokes, probably something like a shift, control, or caps lock
>> otherwise he'd notice untyped characters appearing in anything he typed.
>  --
>
> Fake news kills!
>
> I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
> www.macfh.co.uk

And now my first post looks fine - WTF is Chunderbird playing at today?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<1sle8f2bvpbg1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1902&group=alt.windows7.general#1902

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:33:40 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:33 UTC

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> V@nguard.LH says...
>>
>> "Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>>
>> From your headers:

>> Ignored.
>>
>>> [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
>>> the cited author.]
>>
>> When you post to Usenet, the thread stays in Usenet. No e-mail. This
>> is not a malware diagnosis, rape, or other newsgroup where sensitive
>> information might be taken offline via e-mail from Usenet. When you
>> post to Usenet, you return to Usenet to check for replies.
>
> This is my first post here in years. I didn't remember the format. I hope
> no one was offended. I'll be more careful next time.

Not offended. Wanted to remind that threads here stay here. Only under
some situations is it appropriate to take a discussion offline to email.

Welcome back to Usenet. No, it ain't dead yet.

>>> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
>>> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
>>> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not
>>> press any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my
>>> Windows 7 Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find.
>>> I have two DVD drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD
>>> drives are empty or contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot
>>> normally from the system disk.
>>>
>>> It was suggested I try removing my USB connections, which I did
>>> (keyboard, mouse, external disk, even printer), but it made no
>>> difference. An exhaustive search of the web found nothing. I hope
>>> someone here may be able to help.
>>
>> Is the DVD drive internal or external? If external, how is it connected
>> to your computer?
>
> Both DVD drives are internal.

Then the BIOS should see them to let you select them for a boot device.

Also, during the POST (Power On Self Test), you should see a list of
storage devices the BIOS discovered. Besides your HDDs or SSDs, the
optical drives should also be listed. Presumably you configured the
BIOS to show the POST screen instead of some banner screen announcing
the maker of the mobo or computer (which obliterates the POST screen).

>> Go into BIOS/UEFI to check its boot device order (also mentioned by
>> Glover). You didn't mention your brand and model of motherboard, or of
>> the computer for a prebuilt, so no one here can read the manual to you
>> to show you where is the setting. If you built the computer, you should
>> have a rather comprehensive manual for the motherboard, and it will
>> describe the BIOS settings. If you bought a pre-built, often the
>> manuals are dismal, but there may be online articles on the boot device
>> order settings; however, knowing it is the boot device order may be
>> sufficient for you to go into BIOS to look for the setting.
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-D3H
> Bios: F5 (03/07/2016)
>
> There is nothing the matter with the boot order:
> 1st DVD
> 2nd HDD
>
> That is what I want and that is what actually happens; the problem
> occurs after the boot from the DVD.

Oh, I thought the problem was getting the BIOS to boot from the DVD, but
you say that is working. I got it wrong. Reread your opening post, and
realize the problem is you are NOT pressing a key because you do NOT
want to boot from the DVD, and want the prompt to timeout, so the BIOS
proceeds to the next storage device to boot from (e.g., HDD).

Timing is important. The BIOS may not take long to wait for a keypress
before using the boot order configured in the BIOS. I would try waiting
until the POST screen appears, and start tapping a key right away.
Don't wait for the prompt. When the POST screen appears, and even
before the "Press a key to boot from DVD" prompt, start banging the
keyboard rapidly.

Does the BIOS have a "fast boot" option? That will shorten and often
make impossible to hit a key at the prompt, because the BIOS tries to
start loading an OS as soon as possible.

To get the mobo's manual, and to see if I could find a fast boot
setting, I found the manual at:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170-d3h_e.pdf
Section 2-4
Fast Boot

Disable it, and retest. The manual hints that this setting is disabled,
by default. You said you tried reflashing the mobo's firmware, and that
should've used the default settings when flashing in the firmware.
Check it, though, to make sure it is disabled. Possibly after a
firmware flash you might have enabled this options, along with several
others in the BIOS trying to get back to what you had before.

I'm also assuming you are NOT using Secure Boot mode in the BIOS. That
is also, by default, disabled.

In addition, I would disable fast boot mode in memory settings in the
BIOS (page 23 of the manual). All this does is eliminate testing the
memory to report size found (versus size found via SPD from the chips).
Presumably you are using the SPD timings read from the memory chips
instead of setting them to some other value in BIOS.

To get all the defaults both in the BIOS EEPROM chips (from where the
BIOS settings are read to store in the CMOS table), select "Load
Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS, and do a cold reboot (to ensure the
defaults set into the EEPROM gets read into CMOS).

I noticed a "Boot Override" setting in the BIOS. If you still cannot
get the "Hit a key to boot from DVD" prompt to work, enable the Boot
Override option. That should present a list of discovered storage
devices (with media) from which you can select which to use for booting.
From its description, I cannot tell if that is a one-time override (when
you are in the BIOS screens to make a device selection), or if a device
menu is presented during boot to let you choose then.

Another possibility is how you previously shutdown Windows. If you have
hibernation, hybrid hibernation, or fast startup enabled in Windows,
that's what could get used by the BIOS on the next boot. Fast Startup
in Windows causes lots of problems, like not being able to get rapidly
banging on the keyboard to get recognized to acknowledge a prompt during
the boot procedure.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-windows-fast-startup/

In addition, although the intention of Fast Startup is to make booting
faster, it makes shutdown take longer, so you haven't saved anything
over all. Usually you are waiting for a boot to complete to start using
Windows, and on shutdown you likely walk away and let the OS do its
thing. But faster on the front means slower on the back.

It's like enable GPU/hardware acceleration in web browsers. If Fast
Startup doesn't cause problems, use it, but it can cause problems, so
you have to disable it. Most problems caused by Fast Boot is with
timing, and it seems there is a timing issue, like the wait is too
short, on the "Boot from DVD" prompt which prevent you getting any
keypresses registered. Disabling Fast Startup is just a wild stab at
solving a timing issue, as is disable Fast Boot in the BIOS and also
disabling Fast Boot in the memory settings (to have the BIOS test memory
instead of assuming the reported size is okay).

I suspect you got recommendation of disconnecting other USB devices
because you are using a USB keyboard. There is a PS/2 keyboard port on
your mobo (page 10 of the manual). Have you tried using a PS/2 keyboard
instead of USB? PS/2 works via hardware interrupts versus USB devices
that are polled, and events could happen faster than the polling
interval for USB (and why gamers prefer PS/2 keyboards over USB not just
for faster recognition of keypresses, but also for a larger number of
concurrent keypresses, like for key combos/hotkeys). To use PS/2, some
BIOSes require enabling a Legacy Keyboard/Mouse setting, but I couldn't
find that in the BIOS settings mentioned in the manual for your mobo. I
did find a "USB Support" setting (section 2.4, page 28) which defaults
to Partial Initial (part of the USB devices are disabled before the OS
boot process completes). No mention of what type of USB devices are
excluded during boot. I'd try changing it to Full Initial if you are
using a USB keyboard instead of PS/2.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<11gy7uw1d5i85$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1903&group=alt.windows7.general#1903

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:44:02 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:44 UTC

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.269B15830EB24E5370000CB8038F@news.supernews.com>,
> akwolffan@zoho.com says...
>>
>> On 2021 Jul 11, Norman B. Grover wrote
>> (in article<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>):
>>
>>> [This followup was posted to alt.windows7.general and a copy was sent to
>>> the cited author.]
>>>
>>> When I boot with a bootable DVD in the DVD drive, I get the standard
>>> message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ...", but after a few
>>> seconds my machine proceeds to boot from the DVD even when I do not press
>>> any keys. This happens with my Bootable Rescue Disk, with my Windows 7
>>> Install Disk, and with any other bootable disk I can find. I have two DVD
>>> drives and it happens with both. Only when the DVD drives are empty or
>>> contain non-bootable DVDs does my machine boot normally from the system
>>> disk.
>>
>> you have the optical drives set as bootable drives, and ahead of the hard
>> drive. Tghat?s in your BIOS. You need to get to your BIOS and change the
>> boot order. Some systems have a key combo which allows changing the boot
>> order on startup. If you have one of those, use the key combo instead of
>> messing with the BIOS.
>
> The boot order is correct as set: 1st DVD
> 2nd HDD
> That is how I want it and that is what actually happens, the problem
> occurs after the boot from the DVD.
>>
>> you might try https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-boot-order-in-windows for
>> Win 10.
>> https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht117661-how-to-change-the-boot-
>> order-in-bios-for-windows-7-8-81-10 is Lenovo-specific, but the generic Win 7
>> method should work.
>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-
>> boot-sequence-for-windows-7/301f7d1a-d498-4032-8a29-9162fc4dff62 is Ye
>> Official MS method.
>>

>>> It was suggested I try removing my USB connections,
>>
>> Which idiot suggested _that_? A MSB non-support minion? Someone else, even
>> less useful than a MS non-support minion?
>
> A well-meaning computer engineer.

USB devices are polled. PS/2 devices are interrupt driven making them
very hard to ignore. With a USB keyboard, and if there is a conflict in
multiple USB devices polling at the same time, it could take another
polling interval before the USB keyboard gets polled, and that could be
long enough to miss a keypress, especially if Fast Boot mode is enabled
in the BIOS. Polling of USB devices is why gamers prefer PS/2 keyboards
(along with a larger concurrent keypress count aka more N-key rollover
supported by PS/2 versus USB, handy when gaming).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWkvzycD5PE

Since the OP has a PS/2 port on his mobo, I strongly suggest using PS/2
over USB, especially for BIOS or boot issues before the OS and drivers
ever get loaded. With a PS/2 keyboard (and mouse), you don't have to
disconnect other USB devices from the mobo trying to resolve polling
conflicts.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<C3MwWpg5+O7gFwB0@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1908&group=alt.windows7.general#1908

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 02:43:21 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 01:43 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 15:44:02, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
>> In article <0001HW.269B15830EB24E5370000CB8038F@news.supernews.com>,
>> akwolffan@zoho.com says...
>>>
>>> On 2021 Jul 11, Norman B. Grover wrote
>>> (in article<MPG.3b54d79141949fd989680@news.eternal-september.org>):

>USB devices are polled. PS/2 devices are interrupt driven making them
>very hard to ignore. With a USB keyboard, and if there is a conflict in
>multiple USB devices polling at the same time, it could take another
>polling interval before the USB keyboard gets polled, and that could be
>long enough to miss a keypress, especially if Fast Boot mode is enabled
[]
IT'S NOT A MATTER OF A KEYPRESS BEING MISSED!!! Read what he said again:
he gets the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ..." prompt, he
DOESN'T press any key, and it still goes on to boot from the CD/DVD
rather than the HD.

It's NOT a boot sequence problem either.

The only suggestion I've seen that makes sense is Java Jive's suggestion
that he has a non-entering key that's sticking - such as ctrl, Alt,
Shift, or Caps Lock. Whether those would do it, I don't know - would be
easy (though tedious) to check.

We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place to
read. - Steve Hague in UMRA, 2020-11-3

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b577bf42923d843989686@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1917&group=alt.windows7.general#1917

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 11:31:48 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 08:31 UTC

In article <schoc9$15v$1@dont-email.me>, nospam@needed.invalid says...

> Norman B. Grover wrote:
>
> > The Super IO configuration section at home displays the same label as at
> > work: "System Super IO Chip Parameters", and here too the space under the
> > label is blank. In the Peripherals tab there is also an item called
> > Legacy USB Support, and it is enabled; there is no mention of PS/2
> > anywhere.
> > Where do I go from here?
>
> If you disable Legacy USB Support, maybe that will
> make a difference.

Fortunately, I go in for (minor) surgery tomorrow morning, so I'll be
home all afternoon and able to fiddle with the bios. First thing (maybe
also the last), I'll disable the Legacy USB Support.

I should mention that I use an old (there are no others) Avant Stellar
PS/2 keyboard from Creative Vision Technologies, but it is connected to
the box via a USB adapter; there is, however, a PS/2 port on the box,
currently unused.

> https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/What-is-Legacy-USB-Support/td-p/1771579
>
> "The Legacy USB Support option only provides support of
> the USB ports during boot up and for other activities
> when the operating system isn't fully loaded."
>
> "Legacy USB Support
>
> Enable this option if you're using a USB keyboard or USB mouse
> and you want to use them in the BIOS setup screen, DOS, or some
> other environment outside of Windows."
>
> The "push back PS2 buffer concept", said that when a key press
> came in on USB, the BIOS would place the key press info in the
> PS2 hardware buffer. Then, an OS such as bare-metal MSDOS would
> (using its PS2-only driver), read the character.
>
> I would look up some better wording for this on the old Rojakpot,
> but archives of it don't work properly.
>
> The intention was, to make a mechanism where MSDOS could run, without
> a USB HID driver. MSDOS relied on the BIOS for IO, rather than there
> being a handoff at boot time and MSDOS doing everything for itself.
> Some things just weren't handled, period, which is why optical
> drives in MSDOS, there were several third party solutions for that.
> Since MSDOS understood PS2, they found a way to make USB keyboard
> input, appear in the PS2 hardware buffer (BIOS "magic").
>
> The only danger of disabling USB legacy support, would be an inability
> to enter the BIOS a second time and turn it back on. If the machine has
> a PS2 connector, you could always connect a PS2 keyboard and do some testing
> that way. PS/2 is not hot plug compatible, and as best you can,
> PS/2 peripherals should only be plugged in with all power removed.

On second thought, I think I'll try this first---not being able to enter
the bios and re-enable Legacy USB Support, sounds scary.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b5781d183ead6a7989687@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1918&group=alt.windows7.general#1918

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 11:56:59 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 08:56 UTC

In article <1sle8f2bvpbg1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, V@nguard.LH says...

> Welcome back to Usenet. No, it ain't dead yet.

> > There is nothing the matter with the boot order:
> > 1st DVD
> > 2nd HDD
> >
> > That is what I want and that is what actually happens; the problem
> > occurs after the boot from the DVD.
>
> Oh, I thought the problem was getting the BIOS to boot from the DVD, but
> you say that is working. I got it wrong. Reread your opening post, and
> realize the problem is you are NOT pressing a key because you do NOT
> want to boot from the DVD, and want the prompt to timeout, so the BIOS
> proceeds to the next storage device to boot from (e.g., HDD).
>
> Timing is important. The BIOS may not take long to wait for a keypress
> before using the boot order configured in the BIOS. I would try waiting
> until the POST screen appears, and start tapping a key right away.
> Don't wait for the prompt. When the POST screen appears, and even
> before the "Press a key to boot from DVD" prompt, start banging the
> keyboard rapidly.

There still appears to be a misunderstanding. I DON'T want to press a
key, I want to boot from the HDD despite a bootable DVD being at the top
of the booting order.

> Does the BIOS have a "fast boot" option? That will shorten and often
> make impossible to hit a key at the prompt, because the BIOS tries to
> start loading an OS as soon as possible.
>
> To get the mobo's manual, and to see if I could find a fast boot
> setting, I found the manual at:
>
> https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170-d3h_e.pdf

Thank you for the link.

> [...]
> your mobo (page 10 of the manual). Have you tried using a PS/2 keyboard
> instead of USB? PS/2 works via hardware interrupts versus USB devices
> that are polled, and events could happen faster than the polling
> interval for USB (and why gamers prefer PS/2 keyboards over USB not just
> for faster recognition of keypresses, but also for a larger number of
> concurrent keypresses, like for key combos/hotkeys). To use PS/2, some
> BIOSes require enabling a Legacy Keyboard/Mouse setting, but I couldn't
> find that in the BIOS settings mentioned in the manual for your mobo. I
> did find a "USB Support" setting (section 2.4, page 28) which defaults
> to Partial Initial (part of the USB devices are disabled before the OS
> boot process completes). No mention of what type of USB devices are
> excluded during boot. I'd try changing it to Full Initial if you are

I actually do have a PS/2 keyboard, but it is currently connected via a
USB adapter. Tomorrow I'll connect it directly and see what happens.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<MPG.3b57846bcc439479989688@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1919&group=alt.windows7.general#1919

From: norman@md.huji.ac.il (Norman B. Grover)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 12:08:00 +0300
 by: Norman B. Grover - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:08 UTC

In article <schq5h$1msm$1@gioia.aioe.org>, java@evij.com.invalid says...

> On 12/07/2021 16:50, Paul wrote:
> >
> > Norman B. Grover wrote:
> >>
> >> The Super IO configuration section at home displays the same label as
> >> at work: "System Super IO Chip Parameters", and here too the space
> >> under the label is blank. In the Peripherals tab there is also an item
> >> called Legacy USB Support, and it is enabled; there is no mention of
> >> PS/2 anywhere.
> >> Where do I go from here?
> >
> > If you disable Legacy USB Support, maybe that will
> > make a difference.
> >
> > https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/What-is-Legacy-USB-Support/td-p/1771579
> >

> >    "The Legacy USB Support option only provides support of
> >     the USB ports during boot up and for other activities
> >     when the operating system isn't fully loaded."
> >
> > "Legacy USB Support
> >
> >    Enable this option if you're using a USB keyboard or USB mouse
> >    and you want to use them in the BIOS setup screen, DOS, or some
> >    other environment outside of Windows."
>
> All true, but I don't think that'll make any difference. Perhaps he has
> a faulty laptop keyboard or a stuck key that is sending spurious
> keystrokes, probably something like a shift, control, or caps lock
> otherwise he'd notice untyped characters appearing in anything he typed.

Not likely, since I don't have a laptop, but an old Avant Stellar CVT
PS/2 keyboard connected via a USB adapter. As to stuck keys, the problem
persists (booting from the DVD) even after all the USB devices have been
disconnected.

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<LOYiYAor9V7gFwTF@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1920&group=alt.windows7.general#1920

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:39:55 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:39 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 11:56:59, Norman B. Grover <norman@md.huji.ac.il>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>I actually do have a PS/2 keyboard, but it is currently connected via a
>USB adapter. Tomorrow I'll connect it directly and see what happens.

Apologies for thread swerve, but I'm curious: if you have a system with
a PS/2 socket, why are you using the adapter anyway?

(I've always thought that, on a system that has a PS/2 socket [or two],
I'd normally use a PS/2 keyboard, as that socket can't be used for
anything else, whereas using a USB keyboard [let alone a PS/2 one via an
adapter!] uses up a USB socket.)

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<17tkhi5379453$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1922&group=alt.windows7.general#1922

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 04:54:45 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:54 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Norman B. Grover <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
>> I actually do have a PS/2 keyboard, but it is currently connected via
>> a USB adapter. Tomorrow I'll connect it directly and see what
>> happens.
>
> Apologies for thread swerve, but I'm curious: if you have a system with
> a PS/2 socket, why are you using the adapter anyway?
>
> (I've always thought that, on a system that has a PS/2 socket [or two],
> I'd normally use a PS/2 keyboard, as that socket can't be used for
> anything else, whereas using a USB keyboard [let alone a PS/2 one via an
> adapter!] uses up a USB socket.)

Yeah, that's the other thing: wasting a USB port when both the keyboard
and backpanel have PS/2 connectors. I've seen problems with getting
into the BIOS config screens with a USB keyboard, or trying to use a USB
keyboard before the OS loads versus a PS/2 keyboard that has always
worked for me.

Re: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

<ypdh8deoxwyj.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1923&group=alt.windows7.general#1923

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 04:56:49 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:56 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 15:44:02, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>>"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <0001HW.269B15830EB24E5370000CB8038F@news.supernews.com>,
>>> akwolffan@zoho.com says...

> []
>>USB devices are polled. PS/2 devices are interrupt driven making them
>>very hard to ignore. With a USB keyboard, and if there is a conflict in
>>multiple USB devices polling at the same time, it could take another
>>polling interval before the USB keyboard gets polled, and that could be
>>long enough to miss a keypress, especially if Fast Boot mode is enabled
> []
> IT'S NOT A MATTER OF A KEYPRESS BEING MISSED!!! Read what he said again:
> he gets the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ..." prompt, he
> DOESN'T press any key, and it still goes on to boot from the CD/DVD
> rather than the HD.
>
> It's NOT a boot sequence problem either.
>
> The only suggestion I've seen that makes sense is Java Jive's suggestion
> that he has a non-entering key that's sticking - such as ctrl, Alt,
> Shift, or Caps Lock. Whether those would do it, I don't know - would be
> easy (though tedious) to check.

Maybe it's time to turn over the keyboard and bang it many times at
different angles to shake out the crumbs.