"Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed." -- Robin, The Boy Wonder

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Presentation

SubjectAuthor
* Presentationvallor
`* Re: PresentationTavis Ormandy
 `* Re: Presentationjeshgrca
  `* Re: PresentationGrant Taylor
   `* Re: Presentationjeshgrca
    `* Re: Presentationvallor
     `* Re: Presentationjeshgrca
      `- Re: Presentationvallor

1
Presentation

<pan$c9574$eaa8c0ab$897a78a7$8b3cb66@vallor.earth>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=alt.fan.usenet#186

From: vallor@vallor.earth (vallor)
Subject: Presentation
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:06:46 GMT
 by: vallor - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:06 UTC

Rush, _2112_: Presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di3q2bQUCdM

So what's this "Presentation" all about?

This: 🎸

That is to say, modernizing Usenet by giving
modest use of emojis a pass.

That is my modest proposal.

--
-v
(the emoji above is a guitar)

Re: Presentation

<k88f7nF2m2vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=187&group=alt.fan.usenet#187

From: taviso@gmail.com (Tavis Ormandy)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: Presentation
Date: 25 Mar 2023 14:36:39 GMT
 by: Tavis Ormandy - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:36 UTC

👍

--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger taviso@sdf.org

Re: Presentation

<877cv4jq0l.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=188&group=alt.fan.usenet#188

From: jeshgrca@gmail.com (jeshgrca)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:49:14 -0500
sha1:ULU9Vz2rduEEDQK4r9HaHtzEPpw=
 by: jeshgrca - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:49 UTC

Tavis Ormandy <taviso@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2023-03-25, vallor wrote:
>> That is to say, modernizing Usenet by giving
>> modest use of emojis a pass.
>>

> 👍

I understand the purpose, but for me in my text-only Gnus session all I
see is some ASCII escape code-looking gibberish. One could almost
certainly write some Elisp that causes Gnus to turn said gibberish into
something like (guitar) or (smiley) though...
--
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Attributed to Albert Einstein

Re: Presentation

<tvo6ua$j5j$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=189&group=alt.fan.usenet#189

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:25:13 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:25 UTC

On 3/25/23 6:49 PM, jeshgrca wrote:
> I understand the purpose, but for me in my text-only Gnus session all
> I see is some ASCII escape code-looking gibberish. One could almost
> certainly write some Elisp that causes Gnus to turn said gibberish
> into something like (guitar) or (smiley) though...

Or at least turn it into something other than "gibberish". E.g. space,
or an otherwise innocuous character.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Presentation

<87zg805kpo.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=190&group=alt.fan.usenet#190

From: jeshgrca@gmail.com (jeshgrca)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:07:31 -0500
sha1:qEtSCv+sqYOj5BaBvX4uhtP8aZc=
 by: jeshgrca - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 02:07 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:

> On 3/25/23 6:49 PM, jeshgrca wrote:
>> I understand the purpose, but for me in my text-only Gnus session
>> all I see is some ASCII escape code-looking gibberish. One could
>> almost certainly write some Elisp that causes Gnus to turn said
>> gibberish into something like (guitar) or (smiley) though...
>
> Or at least turn it into something other than "gibberish".
> E.g. space, or an otherwise innocuous character.

This is what happens if I run Emacs in Xterm; it just makes an empty
box. I would assume it's just using an escape code to show the emoji;
the Linux TTY doesn't kow what to do with it and just prints the escape
code as plain text, while Xterm is smart enough to turn it into a
box. If I run Emacs in a fully graphical session though, it just prints
the emoji like it should.
--
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Attributed to Albert Einstein

Re: Presentation

<pan$9658b$51bf4696$894dadaa$c92e5a6f@vallor.earth>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=alt.fan.usenet#193

From: vallor@vallor.earth (vallor)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:51:26 GMT
 by: vallor - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:51 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:07:31 -0500, jeshgrca wrote:

> Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:
>
>> On 3/25/23 6:49 PM, jeshgrca wrote:
>>> I understand the purpose, but for me in my text-only Gnus session all
>>> I see is some ASCII escape code-looking gibberish. One could almost
>>> certainly write some Elisp that causes Gnus to turn said gibberish
>>> into something like (guitar) or (smiley) though...
>>
>> Or at least turn it into something other than "gibberish".
>> E.g. space, or an otherwise innocuous character.
>
> This is what happens if I run Emacs in Xterm; it just makes an empty
> box. I would assume it's just using an escape code to show the emoji;
> the Linux TTY doesn't kow what to do with it and just prints the escape
> code as plain text, while Xterm is smart enough to turn it into a box.
> If I run Emacs in a fully graphical session though, it just prints the
> emoji like it should.

I use xfce4-terminal, which understands UTF-8.

(Off topic: one can even have emojis in one's
command prompts and window title strings,
which should all be properly displayed using xfce4
on Linux Mint.)

Additionally, my newsreader (pan) supports inserting emojis
in its internal editor. Yours might also. :)

Live long and prosper. 🖖️

--
-v
_[/tmp]_(vallor@eva)🦉_

Re: Presentation

<87mt3yxsv5.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=194&group=alt.fan.usenet#194

From: jeshgrca@gmail.com (jeshgrca)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:48:30 -0500
sha1:7N7wOkA8gPa5u+LKklT3809F0Fs=
 by: jeshgrca - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 12:48 UTC

vallor <vallor@vallor.earth> writes:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:07:31 -0500, jeshgrca wrote:
>
>> Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:

>>> Or at least turn it into something other than "gibberish".
>>> E.g. space, or an otherwise innocuous character.
>>
>> This is what happens if I run Emacs in Xterm; it just makes an empty
>> box. I would assume it's just using an escape code to show the emoji;
>> the Linux TTY doesn't kow what to do with it and just prints the escape
>> code as plain text, while Xterm is smart enough to turn it into a box.
>> If I run Emacs in a fully graphical session though, it just prints the
>> emoji like it should.
>
> I use xfce4-terminal, which understands UTF-8.
>
> (Off topic: one can even have emojis in one's
> command prompts and window title strings,
> which should all be properly displayed using xfce4
> on Linux Mint.)
>
> Additionally, my newsreader (pan) supports inserting emojis
> in its internal editor. Yours might also. :)
>
> Live long and prosper. 🖖️

After doing a bit more research, it would appear I have emoji support as
I can run commands like 'M-x emoji-describe', but Emacs just throws an
error, almost certainly due to my highly modified alpha build.

Time to debug some more Elisp...
--
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Attributed to Albert Einstein

Re: Presentation

<Qk__L.262045$SdR7.184630@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=195&group=alt.fan.usenet#195

From: vallor@vallor.earth (vallor)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:07:44 GMT
 by: vallor - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:07 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:48:30 -0500, jeshgrca wrote:

> vallor <vallor@vallor.earth> writes:

>>> This is what happens if I run Emacs in Xterm; it just makes an empty
>>> box. I would assume it's just using an escape code to show the emoji;
>>> the Linux TTY doesn't kow what to do with it and just prints the
>>> escape code as plain text, while Xterm is smart enough to turn it into
>>> a box. If I run Emacs in a fully graphical session though, it just
>>> prints the emoji like it should.
>>
>> I use xfce4-terminal, which understands UTF-8.
>>
>> (Off topic: one can even have emojis in one's command prompts and
>> window title strings,
>> which should all be properly displayed using xfce4 on Linux Mint.)
>>
>> Additionally, my newsreader (pan) supports inserting emojis in its
>> internal editor. Yours might also. :)
>>
>> Live long and prosper. 🖖️
>
> After doing a bit more research, it would appear I have emoji support as
> I can run commands like 'M-x emoji-describe', but Emacs just throws an
> error, almost certainly due to my highly modified alpha build.
>
> Time to debug some more Elisp...

(What does bleeding-edge Emacs give you that a standard installation
doesn't?)

Seems like Gnus should "just handle it", assuming you're using
a UTF-8 terminal...alas, it would appear that your xterm
is just too old to understand UTF-8.

✍️

--
-v
💃️👯️

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Presentation