From: Jordee@Noplace.com (Jordee)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Win 7 Pro Problems
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:37:53 -0700
 by: Jordee - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 19:37 UTC

QUESTION !
I think years ago I did a Virtual XP on this Win 7 Pro.

How do I clean it out and shut that down ?

I have been trying to clean up my Win 7.
I tried to Revo remove some apps but they do not show up in Revo.
I found an uninstaller for most in their installed folder and used that.

I tried to restart but it would not even shut down.

I powered off and select to use a previous startup config and that worked.

I then saw that again, this has been there since I started this virtual
CD drive stuff, that two CD/DVD drives are shown in Explorer. I forgot
to mention this before. I do not understand that as there is only one
drive in this Toshiba laptop.

I really hate Win 7 Explorer keeps changing the left view !!!!

Anyway
DVD RW Drive (D:)
BD-ROM Drive (I:)

Then I discovered what Virtual Clone software I used before on another
Win 7 Pro laptop. It is called Virtual CloneDrive (has a sheep's head
icon) made by Eloborate bytes AG Version 5.5.2.0

So I ran it and it ran but can not put a Virtual CD drive that Explores
can see. This all worked fine on my other Win 7 Pro laptop as it put a
drive lettered icon in explore under computer, but not on this current
laptop.

Excruciating difficulties getting this working.

But now I think maybe I have it.
There is no help with this app.
It turns out that I: is the virtual clone drive.
I just go the app to make it look like a virtual drive and it shows the
sheep icon at the drive letter.

I got the .ISO loaded into the I:

I double-clicked setup.exe and it is now running.

Maybe, just maybe, I have it working.

Re: Win 7 Pro Problems

<scd7rq$5sk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1859&group=alt.windows7.general#1859

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Win 7 Pro Problems
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:44:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:44 UTC

Jordee wrote:
> QUESTION !
> I think years ago I did a Virtual XP on this Win 7 Pro.
>
> How do I clean it out and shut that down ?

If you put it there, you'd remember how you did it.

First, WinXP Mode does not place fake CD drives in File Explorer.
That's not what it does.

Consequently, we're not hunting it down for that reason.

It allows running a (licensed) copy of Windows XP inside
a container, which may allow some older applications to be
used within a Windows XP world. The screen can be rendered,
the programs running there, via Terminal Services.

To install it, there were two files.

20MB copy of Microsoft Virtual PC installer EXE

500MB copy of WinXP VHD file, and installer, which
deposits a VirtualPC machine into the Virtual PC folder.

I would remove the files in the reverse order. In
Control Panels : Programs and Features, remove the
WinXP Mode one first (related to 500MB+ VHD thing).

I would remove Virtual PC application last.

The Virtual PC installer may have installed drivers to
hook into the peripherals on the machine. After a reboot,
those should be gone.

I really doubt the installers will do an "excellent"
job of removal. You may, for example, do this
search in File Explorer while sitting at the top of C:

ext:vhd

and that will locate any VHD files that remain.

As for some of your other comments, yes, installing
all sorts of hack tools for dealing with two-sheep
materials is going to gum up the computer. Generally,
try to stick with a minimum subset of the tools. If
you need to rip media all the time, keep the "one good tool"
installed and stop running other random mounters.
Not all the mounters were good designs. Whereas
some of the Hollywood ripping tools are excellent.