From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Subject: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As Spyware
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 13:38:07 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:38 UTC

Excuse cross-post, this is about general interest cross-platform
software ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57721967

Audio editor Audacity denies spyware accusation

By Zoe Kleinman
Technology reporter

Published
23 hours ago

Audio-edit software Audacity has denied accusations its new privacy
policy has transformed it into "possible spyware".

The open-source free tool, with 100 million users worldwide, is popular
with podcast and music editors.

Its updated policy says data can be shared with its Russia-based
infrastructure company, WSM, as well as regional law enforcement.

Audacity says the only data it exchanges with its users is software
updates and error reports.

But since the updated policy was published last week, there have been
angry calls from concerned users to uninstall the product or revert to
an older version.

And technology website Fosspost described the most recent version as
"possible spyware".

"One would not expect an offline desktop application to be collecting
such data, phoning home and then handing that data to governments around
the world whenever they see fit," it wrote.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As Spyware

<644dr2oh92va.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1798&group=alt.windows7.general#1798

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 07:46:57 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:46 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

> Excuse cross-post, this is about general interest cross-platform
> software ...
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57721967
>
> Audio editor Audacity denies spyware accusation
>
> By Zoe Kleinman
> Technology reporter
>
> Published
> 23 hours ago
>
> Audio-edit software Audacity has denied accusations its new privacy
> policy has transformed it into "possible spyware".
>
> The open-source free tool, with 100 million users worldwide, is popular
> with podcast and music editors.
>
> Its updated policy says data can be shared with its Russia-based
> infrastructure company, WSM, as well as regional law enforcement.
>
> Audacity says the only data it exchanges with its users is software
> updates and error reports.
>
> But since the updated policy was published last week, there have been
> angry calls from concerned users to uninstall the product or revert to
> an older version.
>
> And technology website Fosspost described the most recent version as
> "possible spyware".
>
> "One would not expect an offline desktop application to be collecting
> such data, phoning home and then handing that data to governments around
> the world whenever they see fit," it wrote.

As of May 7, the product is shipped with telemetry disabled by default.
The *user* would have to turn it on.

Re: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As Spyware

<iklodsFfgjqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1800&group=alt.windows7.general#1800

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As
Spyware
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 15:27:24 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 13:27 UTC

On 07/07/2021 14.38, Java Jive wrote:
> Excuse cross-post, this is about general interest cross-platform
> software ...
>

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57721967

Should read this one too:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/no-open-source-audacity-audio-editor-is-not-spyware/

If audacity is so bad, maybe you stop using firefox too...

--

//Aho

Re: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As Spyware

<sc4hol$6c0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1802&group=alt.windows7.general#1802

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 11:37:58 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 15:37 UTC

J.O. Aho wrote:

> On 07/07/2021 14.38, Java Jive wrote:
>> Excuse cross-post, this is about general interest cross-platform
>> software ...
>>

>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57721967
>
> Should read this one too:
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/no-open-source-audacity-audio-editor-is-not-spyware/
>

> If audacity is so bad, maybe you stop using firefox too...

Now I'm waiting for the article that explains
why they bought it.

Paul

Re: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As Spyware

<sc4nv0$n38$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1807&group=alt.windows7.general#1807

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Spyware
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 17:23:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 17:23 UTC

On 2021-07-07, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>>
>> On 07/07/2021 14.38, Java Jive wrote:
>>> Excuse cross-post, this is about general interest cross-platform
>>> software ...
>>>

>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57721967
>>
>> Should read this one too:
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/no-open-source-audacity-audio-editor-is-not-spyware/
>>

>> If audacity is so bad, maybe you stop using firefox too...
>
> Now I'm waiting for the article that explains
> why they bought it.

Your referents are very unclear. Who is "they", and what is the "it" that
"they" bought.

> Paul

Re: ROT, but probably of interest to some - Audacity Accused As Spyware

<sc4rtv$mo5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1811&group=alt.windows7.general#1811

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 14:31:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 18:31 UTC

William Unruh wrote:
> On 2021-07-07, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>> J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Should read this one too:
>>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/no-open-source-audacity-audio-editor-is-not-spyware/
>>>

>>> If audacity is so bad, maybe you stop using firefox too...
>> Now I'm waiting for the article that explains
>> why they bought it.
>
> Your referents are very unclear. Who is "they", and what is the "it" that
> "they" bought.
>> Paul

"A company bought Audacity."

"The company defined a new privacy policy, that outraged the community unnecessarily."

"Why did a company buy the source to Audacity from
its authors ? To make money ? To crush and discard
it, as so many commercial concerns do to competitors ?"

"What were they thinking ?"

You can't crush FOSS, because it will just fork.

In this case, you might not even have clear title
anyway, because the extensive set of filters involves
more authors than the tool carcass itself.