"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

computers / comp.misc / /e/ operating system for phones

SubjectAuthor
* /e/ operating system for phonesRetrograde
+- Re: /e/ operating system for phonesAndy Burns
`* Re: /e/ operating system for phonesAdrian Caspersz
 +* Re: /e/ operating system for phonesTheo
 |`* Re: /e/ operating system for phonesAdrian Caspersz
 | `- Re: /e/ operating system for phonesjaouad zarrabi
 `- Re: /e/ operating system for phonesEli the Bearded

1
/e/ operating system for phones

<tddfcu$r4g7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1765&group=comp.misc#1765

From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: /e/ operating system for phones
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:49:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retrograde - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:49 UTC

From the «needs more ad tech and tracking» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: Review of /e/: an Android alternative for mobile phones
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 19:38:22 -0400
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/135171/review-of-e-an-android-alternative-for-mobile-phones/

The /e/ OS operating system provides a user-friendly alternative to Android[1]
for people who want the Android experience without the reliance on Google and
associated manufacturer-related applications and telemetry. Compared to
LineageOS, /e/ provides a more unified experience out of the box, with a
suitable suite of default open source applications and a system-based
application store. Despite the fact that /e/ borrowed from various
pre-existing open source projects to create its default applications, none
looks out of place.

It’s a good choice for people looking to de-Google, but the rather lacklustre
device support[2] is a big problem, forcing you to buy a new device if you want
to give this a go. That’s not really /e/’s fault, of course, but it’s an issue
nonetheless.

Links:
[1]: https://thenewleafjournal.com/review-of-e-an-android-alternative-for-mobile-phones/ (link)
[2]: https://doc.e.foundation/easy-installer#list-of-devices-supported-by-the-easy-installer (link)

--
Usenet: antisocial media

Re: /e/ operating system for phones

<jlvgnpF2o24U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1768&group=comp.misc#1768

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: /e/ operating system for phones
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:14:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 18:14 UTC

Retrograde wrote:

> The/e/ OS operating system provides a user-friendly alternative to Android

s/alternative to/fork of/

Re: /e/ operating system for phones

<jm1lmmFd5etU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1769&group=comp.misc#1769

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 14:51:17 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:51 UTC

On 15/08/2022 13:49, Retrograde wrote:
> From the «needs more ad tech and tracking» department:
> Feed: OSnews
> Title: Review of /e/: an Android alternative for mobile phones

What's needed is a single app, that skins and hides the whole tech apps
centric android/iphone environment so that the touch phone is as
friendly to use as a standard push button phone from years ago.

Big clear high contrast "buttons" and an accessible phone book and text
entry. And a lock screen.

That's it. Ditch the rest, data, web browser, apps, multimedia.

It's of no interest to folks that don't do 'smart'

--
Adrian C

Re: /e/ operating system for phones

<Ozk*HfVVy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1771&group=comp.misc#1771

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 16 Aug 2022 17:27:48 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 16:27 UTC

Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid> wrote:
> On 15/08/2022 13:49, Retrograde wrote:
> > From the «needs more ad tech and tracking» department:
> > Feed: OSnews
> > Title: Review of /e/: an Android alternative for mobile phones

Also worth mentioning GrapheneOS and CalyxOS too - same ideas a /e/, but
more security conscious. If you're going to do it, best buy a phone for the
purpose rather than hoping whatever you already have is supported (unless it
is). Often support for non-popular phones can decay quite rapidly.

(Pixel would be my recommendation)

> What's needed is a single app, that skins and hides the whole tech apps
> centric android/iphone environment so that the touch phone is as
> friendly to use as a standard push button phone from years ago.

I think that's called a feature phone. Some featurephones do touch.

> Big clear high contrast "buttons" and an accessible phone book and text
> entry. And a lock screen.
>
> That's it. Ditch the rest, data, web browser, apps, multimedia.
>
> It's of no interest to folks that don't do 'smart'

If you don't want those things, why do you need a smartphone in the first
place? Much better battery life on a featurephone.

The usual problem though is somebody who wants one of those but also has a
need for a handful of apps - maybe WhatsApp for talking to the family, or
their bank's app for authentication. I could see your 'big button' skin on
a smartphone being useful in that case. Maybe there are Android launchers
that do that, I don't know.

Theo

Re: /e/ operating system for phones

<eli$2208161729@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1775&group=comp.misc#1775

From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 21:29:09 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 21:29 UTC

In comp.misc, Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid> wrote:
> What's needed is a single app, that skins and hides the whole tech
> apps centric android/iphone environment so that the touch phone is as
> friendly to use as a standard push button phone from years ago.

Would you settle for rotary?

https://skysedge.com/unsmartphones/RUSP/index.html

Seems to use the Trimline dial, with moving fingerstop, which is a
little excentric but good for compactness.

> That's it. Ditch the rest, data, web browser, apps, multimedia.
>
> It's of no interest to folks that don't do 'smart'

Gotcha, that is the market served by "feature" phones, too.

For me, a "smart phone" is a handy miniature wireless computer that
happens to also make calls. I have clang, python, perl, etc, installed
on my "phone". Probably have more programming languages than games on
it.

Elijah
------
needs ios or Android for job requirements

Re: /e/ operating system for phones

<jm48qsF912U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1778&group=comp.misc#1778

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:30:03 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:30 UTC

On 16/08/2022 17:27, Theo wrote:
> Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid> wrote:

>> What's needed is a single app, that skins and hides the whole tech apps
>> centric android/iphone environment so that the touch phone is as
>> friendly to use as a standard push button phone from years ago.
>
> I think that's called a feature phone. Some featurephones do touch.

>> Big clear high contrast "buttons" and an accessible phone book and text
>> entry. And a lock screen.
>>
>> That's it. Ditch the rest, data, web browser, apps, multimedia.
>>
>> It's of no interest to folks that don't do 'smart'
>
> If you don't want those things, why do you need a smartphone in the first
> place? Much better battery life on a featurephone.

Agreed, and I'm a smartphone nut, but...

Often phones for some folks come as hand-me-downs from others that are
upgrading to new toys, and there are a lot of smartphones that don't
have much of a life since the manufacturers have stopped support
updates. Yes, could argue for those that their batteries have also
stopped charging.

These could be made a lot simpler to use for their second life in the
hands of a technophobe, and probably more friendly than the current
batch of feature phones.

In the last lockdown, I had to introduce an 80 year old to a new-to-her,
Doro flip phone. These phones are meant to be the answer to the elderly
that have looked the other way from tech for 40 years, but having played
with one - I think Doro is re-marketing crap.

As solely a landline user, she couldn't get the hang of dialling the
number and then pressing the green button to make the call, never mind
phone books and texting. Pressing the green button first, then dialling
next, was confusion. And then, there was (not) ending the previous call!

If the thing simulated a dial tone pre-dialing, then she might have had
a clue there.

A guided application on a screen could also do some hand holding.

--
Adrian C

Re: /e/ operating system for phones

<2b834b74-6683-4212-8b36-68982ae6101cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1872&group=comp.misc#1872

Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 07:38:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzarrabi31@gmail.com (jaouad zarrabi)
 by: jaouad zarrabi - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:38 UTC

El miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2022 a las 15:30:05 UTC+2, Adrian Caspersz escribió:
> On 16/08/2022 17:27, Theo wrote:
> > Adrian Caspersz <em...@here.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> What's needed is a single app, that skins and hides the whole tech apps
> >> centric android/iphone environment so that the touch phone is as
> >> friendly to use as a standard push button phone from years ago.
> >
> > I think that's called a feature phone. Some featurephones do touch.
>

> >> Big clear high contrast "buttons" and an accessible phone book and text
> >> entry. And a lock screen.
> >>
> >> That's it. Ditch the rest, data, web browser, apps, multimedia.
> >>
> >> It's of no interest to folks that don't do 'smart'
> >
> > If you don't want those things, why do you need a smartphone in the first
> > place? Much better battery life on a featurephone.
> >
> Agreed, and I'm a smartphone nut, but...
>
> Often phones for some folks come as hand-me-downs from others that are
> upgrading to new toys, and there are a lot of smartphones that don't
> have much of a life since the manufacturers have stopped support
> updates. Yes, could argue for those that their batteries have also
> stopped charging.
>
> These could be made a lot simpler to use for their second life in the
> hands of a technophobe, and probably more friendly than the current
> batch of feature phones.
>
> In the last lockdown, I had to introduce an 80 year old to a new-to-her,
> Doro flip phone. These phones are meant to be the answer to the elderly
> that have looked the other way from tech for 40 years, but having played
> with one - I think Doro is re-marketing crap.
>
> As solely a landline user, she couldn't get the hang of dialling the
> number and then pressing the green button to make the call, never mind
> phone books and texting. Pressing the green button first, then dialling
> next, was confusion. And then, there was (not) ending the previous call!
>
> If the thing simulated a dial tone pre-dialing, then she might have had
> a clue there.
>
> A guided application on a screen could also do some hand holding.
>
> --
> Adrian C
Franchise Country License for a Construction Development ( €5,500,000.00 )
Become a country developer for green high-tech 3D constructions
What the Franchisee has to do?

- Purchase the license
- Organize of minimum 100.000m2 land at a strategic location
- Get the initial agreement from the local town hall for receiving the general license
- Negotiate the tax benefit for the development
- Launch the host local Franchise firm structure
- Sometimes a host local bank acquisition will bring its structural benefit
- All developments up to turnkey will be executed by the GROUP Construction

- advantage :
- FRANCHISE shall act as Exclusive Representative of Group at the Host Country with one or several Host Franchise corporations under the Group umbrella FRANCHISE shall act as Representative and be the representative office of Group Bank at the Host Country
- FRANCHISE shall be Representative of the GROUPPay World System
- FRANCHISE shall receive full Group Green Energy Lease Finance for the construction project
- FRANCHISE shall have access to Microcredits for Infrastructure Finance

if you are interesed we need first your passaport + documentos your company and POF
stars88@gmx.es
Whatsapp 0034651884888