You have junk mail.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: midnight optical drive access?

SubjectAuthor
* midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: midnight optical drive access?Stan Brown
|+- Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|`- Re: midnight optical drive access?JJ
+* Re: midnight optical drive access?VanguardLH
|+* Re: midnight optical drive access?Char Jackson
||`* Re: midnight optical drive access?VanguardLH
|| +- Re: midnight optical drive access?VanguardLH
|| `* Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
||  `* Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
||   +* Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
||   |`* Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
||   | `* Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
||   |  `- Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
||   `* Re: midnight optical drive access?Stan Brown
||    `* Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
||     `* Re: midnight optical drive access?Michael Trew
||      `* Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
||       `- Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
|`* Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `- Re: midnight optical drive access?VanguardLH
+* Re: midnight optical drive access?Paul
|`- Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+- Re: midnight optical drive access?Frank Slootweg
`* Re: midnight optical drive access?Ammammata
 `* Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
  `* Re: midnight optical drive access?Char Jackson
   `* Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)
    `* Re: midnight optical drive access?VanguardLH
     `- Re: midnight optical drive access?J. P. Gilliver (John)

Pages:12
Re: midnight optical drive access?

<K6Ci1iBwkb3gFwwi@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1751&group=alt.windows7.general#1751

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:46:40 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: midnight optical drive access?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:46 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 10:56:42, Ammammata <ammammata@tiscalinet.it>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>Il giorno Mon 28 Jun 2021 02:09:24a, *J. P. Gilliver (John)* ha inviato su
>alt.windows7.general il messaggio news:j1SY2mV0MR2gFwdw@255soft.uk. Vediamo
>cosa ha scritto:
>
>> Any ideas?
>
>a search/indexer software that runs at midnight

Interesting thought! The only search/indexer I'm _aware_ of running is
Everything, which seems to run all the time (and I don't _think_ tries
to access the optical drive). It's possible that some part of Windows is
doing it, though I'd expect that to show up in Task Scheduler, and I
didn't find any midnight entries there (though could have missed it).

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.
It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)

Re: midnight optical drive access?

<2mvrdgh6h21pkiq3dfmmkkfmjtumdoh5g0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1752&group=alt.windows7.general#1752

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 12:47:23 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 17:47 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:46:40 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 10:56:42, Ammammata <ammammata@tiscalinet.it>
>wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>Il giorno Mon 28 Jun 2021 02:09:24a, *J. P. Gilliver (John)* ha inviato su
>>alt.windows7.general il messaggio news:j1SY2mV0MR2gFwdw@255soft.uk. Vediamo
>>cosa ha scritto:
>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>>a search/indexer software that runs at midnight
>>
>Interesting thought! The only search/indexer I'm _aware_ of running is
>Everything, which seems to run all the time (and I don't _think_ tries
>to access the optical drive).

In Everything, go to Tools, Options. In the Options dialog, go to Indexes,
Folders. Do you have any folders or drives configured to be scanned there?
Specifically, do you have the optical drive configured to be scanned, and
is it configured to do the scan at midnight?

I think that would be too easy, but who knows.

--

Char Jackson

Re: midnight optical drive access?

<YRvWv1KFDi3gFwBw@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1753&group=alt.windows7.general#1753

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 21:08:37 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:08 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 12:47:23, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:46:40 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
[]

>>>a search/indexer software that runs at midnight
>>>
>>Interesting thought! The only search/indexer I'm _aware_ of running is
>>Everything, which seems to run all the time (and I don't _think_ tries
>>to access the optical drive).
>
>In Everything, go to Tools, Options. In the Options dialog, go to Indexes,
>Folders. Do you have any folders or drives configured to be scanned there?
>Specifically, do you have the optical drive configured to be scanned, and
>is it configured to do the scan at midnight?
>
>I think that would be too easy, but who knows.

Completely empty window, but thanks for the guidance!

Once you've started swinging, chimp-like, through the branches of your family
tree, you might easily end up anywhere. - Alexander Armstrong, RT 2014/8/23-29

Re: midnight optical drive access?

<1bayk4pbhjbts.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1755&group=alt.windows7.general#1755

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:23:38 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 01:23 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> The only search/indexer I'm _aware_ of running is Everything, which
>>> seems to run all the time (and I don't _think_ tries to access the
>>> optical drive).
>>
>> In Everything, go to Tools, Options. In the Options dialog, go to
>> Indexes, Folders. Do you have any folders or drives configured to be
>> scanned there? Specifically, do you have the optical drive
>> configured to be scanned, and is it configured to do the scan at
>> midnight?
>>
>> I think that would be too easy, but who knows.
>
> Completely empty window, but thanks for the guidance!

Probably better to look under Options -> Indexes -> NTFS (presuming you
are using that file system) to look at which drives are getting indexed.
For me, the internal HDD and SSD drives are selected for "Include in
database" while my external HDD drive is not. My optical drive
(CD/DVD/BD burner) isn't even listed; however, the option "Automatically
include new removable volumes" is deselected. By default, [Search]
Everything does not scan removable drives, so that's probably a wild
goose chase unless you configured Everything otherwise.

http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/options/#ntfs

The folder settings in Everything would be the only way, however, to get
Everything to update its database at the same time every day. However,
the scheduling options are disabled if no folders have been selected for
monitoring. You don't have any folders selected.

By the way, is logging enabled in Task Scheduler?

Re: midnight optical drive access?

<vjW7zbYjf03gFwlR@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1757&group=alt.windows7.general#1757

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 18:07:47 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 17:07 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 20:23:38, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>>> In Everything, go to Tools, Options. In the Options dialog, go to
>>> Indexes, Folders. Do you have any folders or drives configured to be
>>> scanned there? Specifically, do you have the optical drive
>>> configured to be scanned, and is it configured to do the scan at
>>> midnight?
>>>
>>> I think that would be too easy, but who knows.
>>
>> Completely empty window, but thanks for the guidance!
>
>Probably better to look under Options -> Indexes -> NTFS (presuming you
>are using that file system) to look at which drives are getting indexed.
>For me, the internal HDD and SSD drives are selected for "Include in
>database" while my external HDD drive is not. My optical drive
>(CD/DVD/BD burner) isn't even listed; however, the option "Automatically

Only lists my HD partitions:
system (C:)
data (D:)
Offline Disk (E:)
backup (E:)

(Not sure why E: is there twice with different names!)

>include new removable volumes" is deselected. By default, [Search]

It is deselected. (The other two adjacent options are selected.)
[]
>The folder settings in Everything would be the only way, however, to get
>Everything to update its database at the same time every day. However,
>the scheduling options are disabled if no folders have been selected for
>monitoring. You don't have any folders selected.

Yes. I can see the greyed-out scheduling settings though, and if they
were enabled, they'd be at 3:0, not midnight.

>By the way, is logging enabled in Task Scheduler?

I can't see any mention of logs; however, an action "Disable All Tasks
History" is available, so I guess it is.

I use science as my model here. We will crawl toward the truth without ever
knowing if we are all the way there. - Scott Adams, 2015-3-20