From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: IE 11 on Windows is gone, but it's still there
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:11:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retrograde - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:11 UTC

From the «like herpes, you'll never be free» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: Here is how you can still open Internet Explorer in Windows 11 if you
really, really want to
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 20:54:22 -0400
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/135151/here-is-how-you-can-still-open-internet-explorer-in-windows-11-if-you-really-really-want-to/

Internet Explorer was finally killed off for almost every consumer version of
Windows on June 15, 2022. It’s death was even mourned celebrated with faux
gravestones commemorating it as a “good tool to download other browsers”.
However, it seems like Microsoft’s browser still lives on in the depths of its
latest operating system.

Although Windows 11 does not officially come bundled with Internet Explorer,
the ancient browser can still be launched on the OS[1].

This thing will never die. I will go to my grave when Windows 32 hits and it
will still come with iexplore.exe because the online passport request form in
some tiny municipality in Slovenia only works in IE.

Links:
[1]: https://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-you-can-still-open-internet-explorer-in-windows-11-if-you-really-really-want-to/ (link)

--
Usenet: antisocial media

Re: IE 11 on Windows is gone, but it's still there

<20220811101509.1b4947ea@8200cmt>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1748&group=comp.misc#1748

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: IE 11 on Windows is gone, but it's still there
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 10:15:09 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:15 UTC

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:11:51 -0000 (UTC)
Retrograde <fungus@amongus.com.invalid> wrote:

> Internet Explorer was finally killed off for almost every consumer
> version of Windows on June 15, 2022.

Does that only apply to Windows 10 or also to Windows 8.1 and 7?
I remember installing Win 10 home (didn't remember the build number) in
2021 and it already didn't came with IE11.

> It’s death was even mourned celebrated with faux gravestones
> commemorating it as a “good tool to download other browsers”.

MS already did celebrate that with Clippy in Office.

> However, it seems like Microsoft’s browser still lives on in the
> depths of its latest operating system.

Of course, and many application rely on IE-specific functions like
Active X.

> Although Windows 11 does not officially come bundled with Internet
> Explorer, the ancient browser can still be launched on the OS[1].

> This thing will never die. I will go to my grave when Windows 32 hits
> and it will still come with iexplore.exe because the online passport
> request form in some tiny municipality in Slovenia only works in IE.

That was already nasty when it came out, because it required people to
run Windows and IE. I hope consumer windows versions won't support the
IE mode in future, so such web services won't work anymore and must be
replaced.

computers / comp.misc / Re: IE 11 on Windows is gone, but it's still there