"A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears." -- The League of Sadistic Telepaths

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Learn CSS

SubjectAuthor
* Learn CSSBill Bradshaw
+* Learn CSSBig Al
|+- Learn CSSBig Al
|`* Learn CSSAndy Burns
| `- Learn CSSDrunkenThon
+- Learn CSSArno Welzel
+- Learn CSSDrunkenThon
`* Learn CSSDave Roya
 `* Learn CSSVanguardLH
  +* Learn CSSAndy Burns
  |`- Learn CSSBig Al
  `* Learn CSSArno Welzel
   `- Learn CSSArno Welzel

1
Learn CSS

<kpvi3cFa0s7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1725&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1725

From: bradshawalaska@hotmail.com (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Learn CSS
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:23:07 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:23 UTC

How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Learn CSS

<uhe668$1nn57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1726&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1726

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Learn CSS
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:04:08 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:04 UTC

On 10/26/23 12:23 PM, this is what Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?
I'm sure there are.

https://www.w3schools.com/

There is a CSS section, and a css reference.

I have done it all by looking at other's code. Some things are tooooo simple.

color: red;
color: #FF0000;

width: 24px;
height: 24px;

W3schools had a lot of reference and then examples and some you can edit to see what your edit does.

As for editing thunderbird itself, that's another story. Still if you could find a good userChrome.css like some people
post here, then changes like above are pretty simple. Don't like red, make it orange.

I'm not sure how much you're looking for. That question is kinda open ended. But mostly trial and error and examples
from others is my way. TB and Firefox both have a DOM inspector built in that allows you to pick an item and see the
code behind it. You can copy the code link and paste it into your userChrome and then modify it.

As a general rule, if you change something you usually put !important after it to override the system.
color: red !important;

Not always, But I do it all the time for the heck of it.

TIME and PERSEVERE.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Learn CSS

<uhe697$1nn57$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1727&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1727

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:05:43 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:05 UTC

On 10/26/23 01:04 PM, this is what Big Al wrote:
> W3schools had a lot of reference

Should be HAS.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Learn CSS

<kpvl4mF9n45U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1728&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1728

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:15:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:15 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>
>> How do you people learn how to use CSS?
>
> I have done it all by looking at other's code.

Same here.

Look at some simple tutorials and examples, maybe play about within
codepen, but learning how to tweak TB's css isn't going to be much like
developing a website from scratch.

You need to know about selectors, either for matching a single element
by id, or several elements by class (then getting cleverer by having
certain attributes, or x being a child of y)

fire up TB's developer tools, play with the inspector, you can tweak
stuff within there and it's not permanent, just quit and it's back to
normal, if you make a change you like, whack it in your userChrome file.

Re: Learn CSS

<kpvllfFalr0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1729&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1729

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:23:59 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:23 UTC

Bill Bradshaw, 2023-10-26 18:23:

> How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?

Maybe this helps:

<https://web.dev/learn/css>

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Learn CSS

<uhe8sh$1okct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1730&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1730

From: drunkenthon@gmail.com (DrunkenThon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:50:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: DrunkenThon - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:50 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>
>> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>>
>>> How do you people learn how to use CSS?
>>
>> I have done it all by looking at other's code.
>
> Same here.
>
> Look at some simple tutorials and examples, maybe play about within
> codepen, but learning how to tweak TB's css isn't going to be much like
> developing a website from scratch.
>
> You need to know about selectors, either for matching a single element
> by id, or several elements by class (then getting cleverer by having
> certain attributes, or x being a child of y)
>
> fire up TB's developer tools, play with the inspector, you can tweak
> stuff within there and it's not permanent, just quit and it's back to
> normal, if you make a change you like, whack it in your userChrome file.

Agreed. Practice makes perfect, right? But I would rather recommend
to play with the Web itself. Yes, via the developer tools, but the
browser ones. Most modern browsers have such a tool.

--
Best regards,
DrunkenThon.

Re: Learn CSS

<uhea7m$1ov8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1731&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1731

From: drunkenthon@gmail.com (DrunkenThon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:13:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: DrunkenThon - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:13 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshawalaska@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?

In addition to suggested sites you can also try Mozilla's own guides
at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/CSS. To be honest,
I haven't tried those, but at a first glance they are pretty thorough
and also have interactive learning forms.

--
Best regards,
DrunkenThon.

Re: Learn CSS

<uhecj2$1pnff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1732&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1732

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:53:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:53 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 08:23:07 -0800 Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?

CSS is aimed at websites. This is a Thunderbird NG. If you're thinking of
styling TB itself (userChrome.css as opposed to userContent.css) then the
principles of css are applicable but you won't find much.

But css is useful. I would practice by restyling websites in Firefox,
using the Stylish addon.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Learn CSS

<ik47a52abtsv$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1735&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1735

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 00:19:31 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 05:19 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>
>>How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?
>
> CSS is aimed at websites. This is a Thunderbird NG. If you're thinking of
> styling TB itself (userChrome.css as opposed to userContent.css) then the
> principles of css are applicable but you won't find much.

Very true. The objects and their attributes specified in userchrome.css
are those defined inside of Tbird. I never bothered to look, but it
could difficult to impossible to know what are those internal objects to
which the CSS would reference. Seems you would have to dig into Tbird's
code to get the object names. Or, is there a tool that would expose
them?

Re: Learn CSS

<kq19i2FnfuiU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1741&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1741

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:09:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:09 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> The objects and their attributes specified in userchrome.css
> are those defined inside of Tbird. I never bothered to look, but it
> could difficult to impossible to know what are those internal objects to
> which the CSS would reference. Seems you would have to dig into Tbird's
> code to get the object names. Or, is there a tool that would expose
> them?

As mentioned, there is the developer toolbox built into TB, this lets
you look at the XML which is used to render the user interface ...

Within TB just press ctrl-shift-I, if you only see a blank window then
expect to find another window asking for permission behind that one.

Re: Learn CSS

<uhg8cl$284l6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1746&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1746

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 07:53:57 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:53 UTC

On 10/27/23 04:09 AM, this is what Andy Burns wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> The objects and their attributes specified in userchrome.css
>> are those defined inside of Tbird.  I never bothered to look, but it
>> could difficult to impossible to know what are those internal objects to
>> which the CSS would reference.  Seems you would have to dig into Tbird's
>> code to get the object names.  Or, is there a tool that would expose
>> them?
>
> As mentioned, there is the developer toolbox built into TB, this lets you look at the XML which is used to render the
> user interface ...
>
> Within TB just press ctrl-shift-I, if you only see a blank window then expect to find another window asking for
> permission behind that one.
And if you go to config editor and set
devtools.debugger.prompt-connection = false
That prompt will not show up.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Learn CSS

<kq1suiFtcv7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1747&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1747

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:40:34 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:40 UTC

VanguardLH, 2023-10-27 07:19:

> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>
>> Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>>
>>> How do you people learn how to use CSS? Is there a manual somewhere?
>>
>> CSS is aimed at websites. This is a Thunderbird NG. If you're thinking of
>> styling TB itself (userChrome.css as opposed to userContent.css) then the
>> principles of css are applicable but you won't find much.
>
> Very true. The objects and their attributes specified in userchrome.css
> are those defined inside of Tbird. I never bothered to look, but it
> could difficult to impossible to know what are those internal objects to
> which the CSS would reference. Seems you would have to dig into Tbird's
> code to get the object names. Or, is there a tool that would expose
> them?

Yes, the developer tools (Ctr+I). When the developer tool window opens,
you have to allow access in Thunderbird first. But then you see a very
detailed HTML structure representing the UI of Thunderbird.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Learn CSS

<kq1t11Ftcv7U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1748&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1748

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:41:53 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:41 UTC

Arno Welzel, 2023-10-27 15:40:

> VanguardLH, 2023-10-27 07:19:
>
>> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

>>> CSS is aimed at websites. This is a Thunderbird NG. If you're thinking of
>>> styling TB itself (userChrome.css as opposed to userContent.css) then the
>>> principles of css are applicable but you won't find much.
>>
>> Very true. The objects and their attributes specified in userchrome.css
>> are those defined inside of Tbird. I never bothered to look, but it
>> could difficult to impossible to know what are those internal objects to
>> which the CSS would reference. Seems you would have to dig into Tbird's
>> code to get the object names. Or, is there a tool that would expose
>> them?
>
> Yes, the developer tools (Ctr+I). When the developer tool window opens,
[...]

If course Ctrl+Shift+I, but everything else already has explained about
this.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Learn CSS