From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re-feeding articles?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:59:03 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:59 UTC

Hi there,

I've now got myself an zfs file system so shouldn't have any inode
issues, plus I'm blocking the mixmin server, I hope, by adding
mixmin.com to the cleanfeed bad_paths file.

Now, after I've deleted all the rogue articles, I'm ready to copy my
spool back to the server. This means I'm going to be missing news from
somewhere around 15th April until current.

Julien told me that it's possible for newsmasters to resend articles
but it's a manual process and didn't elaborate.

Can someone explain how that would be achieved? for example, to resend
everything from Apr 15 at 00:00 GMT.

I'll just have a "ME" line in newsfeeds so the articles wont get sent
out to everyone else until the process is complete.

To be sure, I'll also need to make sure my newsserver doesn't reject
the older articles. Oh man, I feel such a noob! lol.

Thanks,

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Re-feeding articles?

<u2h2f8$rjm$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1707&group=news.software.nntp#1707

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Re-feeding articles?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:15:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:15 UTC

On Apr 28, 2023 at 10:59:03 AM CDT, "Nigel Reed" <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've now got myself an zfs file system so shouldn't have any inode
> issues, plus I'm blocking the mixmin server, I hope, by adding
> mixmin.com to the cleanfeed bad_paths file.
>
> Now, after I've deleted all the rogue articles, I'm ready to copy my
> spool back to the server. This means I'm going to be missing news from
> somewhere around 15th April until current.
>
> Julien told me that it's possible for newsmasters to resend articles
> but it's a manual process and didn't elaborate.
>
> Can someone explain how that would be achieved? for example, to resend
> everything from Apr 15 at 00:00 GMT.
>
> I'll just have a "ME" line in newsfeeds so the articles wont get sent
> out to everyone else until the process is complete.
>
> To be sure, I'll also need to make sure my newsserver doesn't reject
> the older articles. Oh man, I feel such a noob! lol.
>
> Thanks,

This is the best explanation for what you're after from
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.4:

To feed all articles on an existing server to another one, regardless of how
they're stored on the server, first tell the new server to accept articles
regardless of how old they are (otherwise, INN will reject articles older than
artcutoff in inn.conf) and disable your filtering:

ctlinnd param c 0
ctlinnd perl n
ctlinnd python n

In case you wish to only feed articles arrived on the old server between two
dates, you can adapt the previous commands with a condition on the $arrived
variable (or the $posted variable if you prefer to use the Date header field
instead of the actual arrival time). For instance, the following commands will
feed articles arrived between two given timestamps (that can be computed with
the convdate utility shipped with INN).

convdate -n '15 Apr 2014 20:42 +0200' '16 Apr 2014 12:37 +0200'
returns the two corresponding timestamps 1397586540 and 1397644620 that can
then be used to retrieve a subset of articles to feed:

cd <pathdb in inn.conf>
perl -ne 'chomp; our ($hash, $timestamps, $_) = split " "; \
my ($arrived, $expires, $posted) = split("~", $timestamps); \
print "$_\n" if $_ and $arrived >= 1397586540 \
and $arrived <= 1397644620' history \| tr . / ><pathoutgoing in
inn.conf>/list
innxmit server list

Re: Re-feeding articles?

<u2h300$1ih3$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1708&group=news.software.nntp#1708

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:24:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:24 UTC

On Apr 28, 2023 at 1:15:04 PM CDT, "Jesse Rehmer"
<jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2023 at 10:59:03 AM CDT, "Nigel Reed" <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've now got myself an zfs file system so shouldn't have any inode
>> issues, plus I'm blocking the mixmin server, I hope, by adding
>> mixmin.com to the cleanfeed bad_paths file.
>>
>> Now, after I've deleted all the rogue articles, I'm ready to copy my
>> spool back to the server. This means I'm going to be missing news from
>> somewhere around 15th April until current.
>>
>> Julien told me that it's possible for newsmasters to resend articles
>> but it's a manual process and didn't elaborate.
>>
>> Can someone explain how that would be achieved? for example, to resend
>> everything from Apr 15 at 00:00 GMT.
>>
>> I'll just have a "ME" line in newsfeeds so the articles wont get sent
>> out to everyone else until the process is complete.
>>
>> To be sure, I'll also need to make sure my newsserver doesn't reject
>> the older articles. Oh man, I feel such a noob! lol.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> This is the best explanation for what you're after from
> https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.4:
>
> To feed all articles on an existing server to another one, regardless of how
> they're stored on the server, first tell the new server to accept articles
> regardless of how old they are (otherwise, INN will reject articles older than
> artcutoff in inn.conf) and disable your filtering:
>
> ctlinnd param c 0
> ctlinnd perl n
> ctlinnd python n
>
> In case you wish to only feed articles arrived on the old server between two
> dates, you can adapt the previous commands with a condition on the $arrived
> variable (or the $posted variable if you prefer to use the Date header field
> instead of the actual arrival time). For instance, the following commands will
> feed articles arrived between two given timestamps (that can be computed with
> the convdate utility shipped with INN).
>
> convdate -n '15 Apr 2014 20:42 +0200' '16 Apr 2014 12:37 +0200'
> returns the two corresponding timestamps 1397586540 and 1397644620 that can
> then be used to retrieve a subset of articles to feed:
>
> cd <pathdb in inn.conf>
> perl -ne 'chomp; our ($hash, $timestamps, $_) = split " "; \
> my ($arrived, $expires, $posted) = split("~", $timestamps); \
> print "$_\n" if $_ and $arrived >= 1397586540 \
> and $arrived <= 1397644620' history \| tr . / ><pathoutgoing
> ininn.conf>/list
> innxmit server list

Forgot to mention, if you want someone to try feeding you a batch, hit me up
via e-mail.

Re: Re-feeding articles?

<20230428133943.43901f98@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1709&group=news.software.nntp#1709

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 13:39:43 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:39 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:24:01 -0000 (UTC)
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> Forgot to mention, if you want someone to try feeding you a batch,
> hit me up via e-mail.

Thanks, I will do that. I forgot that I had already done this process
myself when sending my old spool to my new CNFS server. I'm about to
start copying my tradspool back so I'll be down for a while.

Thanks,
Nigel