Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.

computers / news.software.nntp / Stop innd expiring articles

SubjectAuthor
* Stop innd expiring articlesNigel Reed
`* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesJesse Rehmer
 +* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesNigel Reed
 |`* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesThomas Hochstein
 | `* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesNigel Reed
 |  +* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesJesse Rehmer
 |  |`- Re: Stop innd expiring articlesNigel Reed
 |  `- Re: Stop innd expiring articlesThomas Hochstein
 `* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesNigel Reed
  +* Re: Stop innd expiring articlesJesse Rehmer
  |+- Re: Stop innd expiring articlesThomas Hochstein
  |`- Re: Stop innd expiring articlesJulien ÉLIE
  `- Re: Stop innd expiring articlesThomas Hochstein

1
Stop innd expiring articles

<20230426003434.2cac0807@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1690&group=news.software.nntp#1690

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Stop innd expiring articles
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 00:34:34 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 05:34 UTC

Hi all,

Since changing to CNFS it seems my server won't stop expiring articles.
According to expire.log I lost 46,456 articles yesterday. I thought I
fixed my expire.ctl to never expire articles after losing 20,000+ the
night before.

On a similar note, when adding a new peer, how can I make sure that I
receive everything it wants to throw at me regardless of the age of the
articles?

Knowing my luck, I'll cock it all up and expire everything if I'm not
careful!

Thanks,

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<u2csu1$c1k$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1694&group=news.software.nntp#1694

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Stop innd expiring articles
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 04:16:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 04:16 UTC

On Apr 26, 2023 at 12:34:34 AM CDT, "Nigel Reed" <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since changing to CNFS it seems my server won't stop expiring articles.
> According to expire.log I lost 46,456 articles yesterday. I thought I
> fixed my expire.ctl to never expire articles after losing 20,000+ the
> night before.

What does your expire.ctl look like, and what is the output from expire? Are
you sure it isn't just removing articles from the overview that have been
overwritten/wrapped in a CNFS buffer? If you have some buffers for smaller,
unimportant groups (*.test for example) that wrap the output may make it
appear it is expiring articles when it is just removing non-existent articles
from the overview.

> On a similar note, when adding a new peer, how can I make sure that I
> receive everything it wants to throw at me regardless of the age of the
> articles?

The artcutoff parameter is a global option, as far as I know, so if you change
that value and have a peer feed you old articles you will re-propagate those
articles to your other peers. I'm not aware of anything like this to tweak on
a per-feed basis.

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<20230427105337.453ed9c0@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1695&group=news.software.nntp#1695

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:53:37 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:53 UTC

On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 04:16:01 -0000 (UTC)
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2023 at 12:34:34 AM CDT, "Nigel Reed"
> <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since changing to CNFS it seems my server won't stop expiring
> > articles. According to expire.log I lost 46,456 articles yesterday.
> > I thought I fixed my expire.ctl to never expire articles after
> > losing 20,000+ the night before.
>
> What does your expire.ctl look like, and what is the output from
> expire? Are you sure it isn't just removing articles from the
> overview that have been overwritten/wrapped in a CNFS buffer? If you
> have some buffers for smaller, unimportant groups (*.test for
> example) that wrap the output may make it appear it is expiring
> articles when it is just removing non-existent articles from the
> overview.

/remember/:11
*:A:never:never:never
0:never:never:never

$ inndf -io
58.26% overview space used

I have plenty of overview buffer space.

Unless I've run out of cnfs buffers.

It looks like I'm getting a high number of posts in relcom.test - like
several a second? similar for de.test both from maxmin.

> > On a similar note, when adding a new peer, how can I make sure that
> > I receive everything it wants to throw at me regardless of the age
> > of the articles?
>
> The artcutoff parameter is a global option, as far as I know, so if
> you change that value and have a peer feed you old articles you will
> re-propagate those articles to your other peers. I'm not aware of
> anything like this to tweak on a per-feed basis.

Maybe I'll expire the test groups on a more rigorous basis.

I would think my peers would reject an article that I receive that is
beyond their limit, right?

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<20230427140101.39ded924@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1696&group=news.software.nntp#1696

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:01:01 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:01 UTC

On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 04:16:01 -0000 (UTC)
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2023 at 12:34:34 AM CDT, "Nigel Reed"
> <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since changing to CNFS it seems my server won't stop expiring
> > articles. According to expire.log I lost 46,456 articles yesterday.
> > I thought I fixed my expire.ctl to never expire articles after
> > losing 20,000+ the night before.
>
> What does your expire.ctl look like, and what is the output from
> expire? Are you sure it isn't just removing articles from the
> overview that have been overwritten/wrapped in a CNFS buffer? If you
> have some buffers for smaller, unimportant groups (*.test for
> example) that wrap the output may make it appear it is expiring
> articles when it is just removing non-existent articles from the
> overview.
>
> > On a similar note, when adding a new peer, how can I make sure that
> > I receive everything it wants to throw at me regardless of the age
> > of the articles?
>
> The artcutoff parameter is a global option, as far as I know, so if
> you change that value and have a peer feed you old articles you will
> re-propagate those articles to your other peers. I'm not aware of
> anything like this to tweak on a per-feed basis.

I think the problem is some turd dumping 1.4 million articles to
de.test.

de.test: headers received: 429751/1451594

I'm just loading them into slrn now to see who and within which
timeframe.

So, abuser@mixmin.net seems to be the reason for this. Unfortunately,
it looks like my CFS buffers have now started to overwrite so I'm
losing all my old articles. I'm really pissed off at this stage. If I
stuck with traditional spool I wouldn't be in this mess.

So here's more questions.

I'm going to check with my VPS provider to see if I can get a zfs disk
and, if so, recopy my traditional spool back and then get my peers to
refeed me a bunch of articles. Urgh!

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<nsn.20230427212725.513@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1697&group=news.software.nntp#1697

From: thh@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:27:28 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:27 UTC

Nigel Reed schrieb:

> It looks like I'm getting a high number of posts in relcom.test - like
> several a second? similar for de.test both from maxmin.

Yes, someone from mixmin has been flooding de.test (since 2022-04-11),
misc.test and other test groups with some 100.000 articles each day. As
cleanfeed's flood protections exclude test groups, a manual interventions
is necessary.

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<u2eins$1n1m$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1698&group=news.software.nntp#1698

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:34:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:34 UTC

On Apr 27, 2023 at 2:01:01 PM CDT, "Nigel Reed" <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 04:16:01 -0000 (UTC)
> Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 26, 2023 at 12:34:34 AM CDT, "Nigel Reed"
>> <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Since changing to CNFS it seems my server won't stop expiring
>>> articles. According to expire.log I lost 46,456 articles yesterday.
>>> I thought I fixed my expire.ctl to never expire articles after
>>> losing 20,000+ the night before.
>>
>> What does your expire.ctl look like, and what is the output from
>> expire? Are you sure it isn't just removing articles from the
>> overview that have been overwritten/wrapped in a CNFS buffer? If you
>> have some buffers for smaller, unimportant groups (*.test for
>> example) that wrap the output may make it appear it is expiring
>> articles when it is just removing non-existent articles from the
>> overview.
>>
>>> On a similar note, when adding a new peer, how can I make sure that
>>> I receive everything it wants to throw at me regardless of the age
>>> of the articles?
>>
>> The artcutoff parameter is a global option, as far as I know, so if
>> you change that value and have a peer feed you old articles you will
>> re-propagate those articles to your other peers. I'm not aware of
>> anything like this to tweak on a per-feed basis.
>

> I think the problem is some turd dumping 1.4 million articles to
> de.test.
>
> de.test: headers received: 429751/1451594
>
> I'm just loading them into slrn now to see who and within which
> timeframe.
>
> So, abuser@mixmin.net seems to be the reason for this. Unfortunately,
> it looks like my CFS buffers have now started to overwrite so I'm
> losing all my old articles. I'm really pissed off at this stage. If I
> stuck with traditional spool I wouldn't be in this mess.
>
> So here's more questions.
>
> I'm going to check with my VPS provider to see if I can get a zfs disk
> and, if so, recopy my traditional spool back and then get my peers to
> refeed me a bunch of articles. Urgh!

CNFS buffers can get tricky when you do not want them to wrap. High traffic,
"junk" groups, or hierarchies you don't care about losing articles in you'll
want to put in a different buffer. I do this for *.test, news.lists.filters,
junk, control.cancel, etc.

Cleanfeed and PyClean ignore EMP on test groups, I assume due to commonly
posted bodies that aren't unique, but are likely to be seen frequently (ie
"test") in those groups, but recent floods seem like that may not be the best.

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<20230427145911.7acc4f2f@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1699&group=news.software.nntp#1699

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:59:11 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:59 UTC

On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:27:28 +0200
Thomas Hochstein <thh@thh.name> wrote:

> Nigel Reed schrieb:
>
> > It looks like I'm getting a high number of posts in relcom.test -
> > like several a second? similar for de.test both from maxmin.
>
> Yes, someone from mixmin has been flooding de.test (since 2022-04-11),
> misc.test and other test groups with some 100.000 articles each day.
> As cleanfeed's flood protections exclude test groups, a manual
> interventions is necessary.

Might have been nice if someone noticed this that they would have
mentioned it so we could take mitigating action.

I might just blacklist that server then if they're not going to do
anything about it.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<u2enq7$13c9$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1700&group=news.software.nntp#1700

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:00:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:00 UTC

On Apr 27, 2023 at 2:59:11 PM CDT, "Nigel Reed" <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:27:28 +0200
> Thomas Hochstein <thh@thh.name> wrote:
>
>> Nigel Reed schrieb:
>>
>>> It looks like I'm getting a high number of posts in relcom.test -
>>> like several a second? similar for de.test both from maxmin.
>>
>> Yes, someone from mixmin has been flooding de.test (since 2022-04-11),
>> misc.test and other test groups with some 100.000 articles each day.
>> As cleanfeed's flood protections exclude test groups, a manual
>> interventions is necessary.
>
> Might have been nice if someone noticed this that they would have
> mentioned it so we could take mitigating action.
>
> I might just blacklist that server then if they're not going to do
> anything about it.

It was reported in news.admin.net-abuse.usenet on 04/16/2023:

<wwvy1mromnu.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<20230427161422.4f58acfd@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1701&group=news.software.nntp#1701

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 16:14:22 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:14 UTC

On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:00:55 -0000 (UTC)
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2023 at 2:59:11 PM CDT, "Nigel Reed"
> <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:27:28 +0200
> > Thomas Hochstein <thh@thh.name> wrote:

> >> Yes, someone from mixmin has been flooding de.test (since
> >> 2022-04-11), misc.test and other test groups with some 100.000
> >> articles each day. As cleanfeed's flood protections exclude test
> >> groups, a manual interventions is necessary.
> >
> > Might have been nice if someone noticed this that they would have
> > mentioned it so we could take mitigating action.
> >
> > I might just blacklist that server then if they're not going to do
> > anything about it.
>
> It was reported in news.admin.net-abuse.usenet on 04/16/2023:
>
> <wwvy1mromnu.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

Ah, I should subscribe to that then :) Thank you.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<nsn.20230427230746.517@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1702&group=news.software.nntp#1702

From: thh@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:07:49 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:07 UTC

Nigel Reed schrieb:

> Might have been nice if someone noticed this that they would have
> mentioned it so we could take mitigating action.

It was reported in de.admin.net-abuse.news (on 2023-04-11) and
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet (on 2023-04-16) [1]; those seem to be the
appropriate groups for these kinds of things.

-thh

[1] <wwvy1mromnu.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<nsn.20230427230751.518@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1703&group=news.software.nntp#1703

From: thh@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:07:53 +0200

Nigel Reed schrieb:

> I think the problem is some turd dumping 1.4 million articles to
> de.test.
>
> de.test: headers received: 429751/1451594

Someone reported that he had moved on to misc.test in the meantime; I
didn't check.

> So, abuser@mixmin.net seems to be the reason for this.

It's "abuser" only for the later postings; first it was "abuse", i.e. the
role account, which has been bombarded by some thousand reflector mails..

-thh

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<nsn.20230427230751.520@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1704&group=news.software.nntp#1704

From: thh@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:07:53 +0200

Jesse Rehmer schrieb:

> Cleanfeed and PyClean ignore EMP on test groups, I assume due to commonly
> posted bodies that aren't unique, but are likely to be seen frequently (ie
> "test") in those groups, but recent floods seem like that may not be the bes

You can just add the test groups to "flood_groups", for the time being.

Re: Stop innd expiring articles

<u2k2eb$2jdog$3@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1711&group=news.software.nntp#1711

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:32:59 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:32 UTC

Hi Nigel, Jesse,

>> So, abuser@mixmin.net seems to be the reason for this. Unfortunately,
>> it looks like my CNFS buffers have now started to overwrite so I'm
>> losing all my old articles. I'm really pissed off at this stage. If I
>> stuck with traditional spool I wouldn't be in this mess.

New CNFS buffers can be added on the fly in cycbuff.conf; you can
monitor how fast they fill with cnfsstat, and add new buffers when
appropriate.

>> I'm going to check with my VPS provider to see if I can get a zfs disk
>> and, if so, recopy my traditional spool back and then get my peers to
>> refeed me a bunch of articles. Urgh!

I hope you'll manage to.

> CNFS buffers can get tricky when you do not want them to wrap.

It is where the timecaf storage method is good at!
The advantages of CNFS without wrapping :)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Un ami fidèle qui parle très bien votre langue et toutes les langues
vivantes : le latin, le grec, le celte, etc. » (Astérix)