I am not an Economist. I am an honest man! -- Paul McCracken

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Hotfix for security issue with WebP

SubjectAuthor
* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
`* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
 +* Hotfix for security issue with WebPBig Al
 |`- Hotfix for security issue with WebPNFN Smith
 +- Hotfix for security issue with WebPRalph Fox
 `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
  `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
   +* Hotfix for security issue with WebPStan Brown
   |`* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
   | `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPStan Brown
   |  `- Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
   `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
    `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
     +* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
     |`- Hotfix for security issue with WebPPaul
     `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
      `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
       +- Hotfix for security issue with WebPRinaldiJ
       `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
        `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
         `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
          +* Hotfix for security issue with WebPDave
          |`* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
          | `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPDave
          |  `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel
          |   `- Hotfix for security issue with WebPDave
          `* Hotfix for security issue with WebPVanguardLH
           `- Hotfix for security issue with WebPArno Welzel

Pages:12
Re: Hotfix for security issue with WebP

<kppok3Fr54tU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1669&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1669

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Hotfix for security issue with WebP
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:37:39 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:37 UTC

Dave, 2023-10-21 22:32:

> In article <kpi945Fh4jjU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Arno Welzel <usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:
>> Dave, 2023-10-21 12:52:
>
> [Snip]
>

>>> I use PaintShop Pro 2022 and while it will Load and Save WebP files,
>>> the User has no available Save options to set things like Lossy or
>>> lossless saves.
>
>> Then try Paint.NET - this will allow to set losless yes/no and also
>> quality presets like "Picture", "Photo", "Text" etc..
>
>> Paint.NET can be used for free: <https://www.getpaint.net>
>
> Mmnn! I'm aware of what Paint.Net can do, but that's not much help when
> using PSP 2022 which is my default graphics app.
>
> In comparison of course Paint.NET is a bit of a toy app.

Well, but even in its superiority it seems not to offer any options when
saving a file as WebP ;-). *scnr*

> Thanks for the thought, appreciated.

You're welcome. Maybe you can use Paint.NET just for converting images
to WebP when needed. But if you don't care about WebP anyway, you can
just ignore that as well.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Hotfix for security issue with WebP

<kppp3jFr54tU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1670&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1670

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:45:56 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:45 UTC

VanguardLH, 2023-10-22 03:57:

> Arno Welzel <usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH, 2023-10-17 22:19:
>>
>>> Also remember that Webp is not just employed in web servers and rendered
>>> by web browsers. For anyone saving images from the web, their photo
>>> store probably has lots of .webp image files. Users may not want to get
>>> stuck having to rely on a web browser as the image handler for .webp
>>> files. While Webp seems [now] ubiquitous across web browsers, image
>>> viewing is not solely the domain of web browsers.
>>
>> Please name a major image editor/view which has no support for WebP.
>
> I can only test the media players that I have. Obviously I cannot test
> every media player that could be obtained today, and test them all. I
> also download very little graphics (images, videos), so first must be
> the web browser to show that content, and web browsers now support WebP.

I did not ask to test anything but if just if you *know* about any
popular image editor or viewer which does not support WebP.

[...]
> There are some issues when added security is added to web browsers, like
> Application Guard to Edge:
>
> https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/windows-webp-appguard.html
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/application-security/application-isolation/microsoft-defender-application-guard/md-app-guard-overview

Looks like the initial lack of support for WebGL because Microsoft said,
that WebGL is a security risk because it allows to use shaders which in
fact run code on the GPU.

Microsoft recommended using Silverlight for 3D stuff instead claiming
that the security problems of WebGL did not exist there.

Nowadays since Edge is based on Chromium, WebGL is also supported and
not any word about potential security issues any longer.

> WebP support in my media players
> VideoLAN VLC: yes
> MPC HC (come with K-lite codec pack): yes
> XnView Classic: yes
> Movies & TV app (Windows-bundled): yes
> Windows Media Player: yes

I did not expect anything else, since the libraries are free to use and
you don't have to pay for a license to support WebP.

[...]
> Know of any sites, like caniuse, that will list the top media players
> (NOT inside a web browser) that support WebP? Articles on WebP just
> keep dumping me into discussions about web browsers. I can find:

Sorry, no. I don't know of any "can i use" site for anything else than
web browsers.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Hotfix for security issue with WebP

<5af885f552news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1678&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1678

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:50:52 +0100
 by: Dave - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:50 UTC

In article <kppok3Fr54tU10@mid.individual.net>,
Arno Welzel <usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:
> >Dave, 2023-10-21 22:32:

[Snip]

> Well, but even in its superiority it seems not to offer any options when
> saving a file as WebP ;-). *scnr*

> > Thanks for the thought, appreciated.

> You're welcome. Maybe you can use Paint.NET just for converting images
> to WebP when needed. But if you don't care about WebP anyway, you can
> just ignore that as well.

ATM. My PSP 2022 can load WebP files, so conversion thereafter (To PNG in
my case) Is not a problem.

It can also Save WebP but only in a lossless format.

I use XNview (Which has Options) if I need to return files as WebP.

D.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Hotfix for security issue with WebP