From: pbergsagel@shaw.ca (Paul Bergsagel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Youtube on Mac M1 is only view able in a private Window
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:22:07 -0500
 by: Paul Bergsagel - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 00:22 UTC

Hi,

I am using WG9s Nightly (April 16) Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS
X 14.4; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.19

iMac M1 MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I suspect there is a bug in SeaMonkey preventing Youtube from displaying
properly. Youtube will only display grey boxes where youtube videos
normally would be. I tried deleting the saved Youtube password and
cookies; still Youtube fails to display properly.

If I open a private browsing window, type youtube.com in the address bar
and sign into youtube with my password the Youtube page displays
properly as it should.

I am confused as to why Youtube only works in a private window, even
after I have cleared my Youtube password and Youtube cookies and
restarted the browser. I am unsure if this is a Mac only bug.

Any ideas what may be happening? Thanks.

Paul

Re: Youtube on Mac M1 is only view able in a private Window

<uvppb3$1slta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1667&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1667

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:26:08 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 00:26 UTC

Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using WG9s Nightly (April 16) Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS
> X 14.4; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.19
>
> iMac M1 MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1
>
> I suspect there is a bug in SeaMonkey preventing Youtube from displaying
> properly.  Youtube will only display grey boxes where youtube videos
> normally would be.  I tried deleting the saved Youtube password and
> cookies; still Youtube fails to display properly.
>
> If I open a private browsing window, type youtube.com in the address bar
> and sign into youtube with my password the Youtube page displays
> properly as it should.
>
> I am confused as to why Youtube only works in a private window, even
> after I have cleared my Youtube password and Youtube cookies and
> restarted the browser.  I am unsure if this is a Mac only bug.
>
> Any ideas what may be happening? Thanks.
>
> Paul

Two data points:

I just happened to have installed the latest 2.53.19 release (dated the
16th at WG9s - 20240416120204) on Windows, and no problems there, even
with NoScript active (as long as I enable youtube.com and
googlevideo.com. I have 2.53.18.2 on a Mac (also M1, running Sonoma),
and no problems there, under the same conditions of enabling with NoScript.

I'm not trying to log in, just running random videos.

Besides clearing cookies, you might also want to clear the cache
(Seamonkey - Settings - Privacy & Security - Private Data. Select the
options that are useful to you (especially Cache), and then Clear Now.

If you're still seeing issues, it may be worth using the profile manager
to create an additional profile with all default settings. On Windows or
Linux, that's easy enough to do from a command line, but when I'm on a
Mac, it's easier to get there via putting about:profiles in the address
bar, and creating a profile from there.

If you're still seeing the same issues, then the difference between your
Mac and mine is the version of Seamonkey that you're running, and it
would seem to be something specific to Mac, although I can't tell if
it's generic Mac, something with Apple Silicon. From there, you
probably want to try filing a BugZilla report.

Smith