From: nospam@grazie.it (G.F.)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: [OT] Windows 11
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 13:26:04 +0200
 by: G.F. - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 11:26 UTC

And so now we have even Windows 11 ...

Thought of the day: "Computing science is the art of forcing people to
change PC to do the same things as before"

Re: [OT] Windows 11

<0001HW.2689F96A0AAFB21E700000A6C38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1660&group=alt.windows7.general#1660

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!4.us.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:34:50 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: Re: [OT] Windows 11
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Wolffan - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 12:34 UTC

On 2021 Jun 28, G.F. wrote
(in article <sbcbk5$1qp2$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> And so now we have even Windows 11 ...
>
> Thought of the day: "Computing science is the art of forcing people to
> change PC to do the same things as before"

Some of us won’t be ‘forced’ to do a damn thing. None of my personal
WinBoxes will run Win 11; none of the office WinBoxes will, either. I will
not be buying new equipment to run Win 11; I may get a new system at home,
when one of the older machines dies, a.k.a. sometime in the next 18-24 months
if past experience is a guide. The new box will be, like the old boxes, a
hand-built system and may/may not have things like TPM and Secure Boot. In
particular it might not have TPM if TPM hardware costs more than I’m
willing to pay, or if turning on TPM in software is more trouble than I want
to go to. Which means that the new box will run Win 10... or Linux, probably
Ubuntu. At the office, we are currently setting up a lot of machines with
Ubuntu as Ubuntu can (finally!) do most of what we need which doesn’t
require either very old drivers (XP, 7, older versions of Mac OS X) or Macs;
we have a lot of Macs, too. We may never go to Win 11 at the office.

Re: [OT] Windows 11

<sbcnaf$nj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1672&group=alt.windows7.general#1672

From: dave61430@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 14:45:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 14:45 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:34:50 -0400, Wolffan wrote:

> On 2021 Jun 28, G.F. wrote (in article <sbcbk5$1qp2$1@gioia.aioe.org>):
>
>> And so now we have even Windows 11 ...
>>
>> Thought of the day: "Computing science is the art of forcing people to
>> change PC to do the same things as before"
>
> Some of us won’t be ‘forced’ to do a damn thing. None of my personal
> WinBoxes will run Win 11; none of the office WinBoxes will, either. I
> will not be buying new equipment to run Win 11; I may get a new system
> at home, when one of the older machines dies, a.k.a. sometime in the
> next 18-24 months if past experience is a guide. The new box will be,
> like the old boxes, a hand-built system and may/may not have things like
> TPM and Secure Boot. In particular it might not have TPM if TPM hardware
> costs more than I’m willing to pay, or if turning on TPM in software is
> more trouble than I want to go to. Which means that the new box will run
> Win 10... or Linux, probably Ubuntu. At the office, we are currently
> setting up a lot of machines with Ubuntu as Ubuntu can (finally!) do
> most of what we need which doesn’t require either very old drivers (XP,
> 7, older versions of Mac OS X) or Macs; we have a lot of Macs, too. We
> may never go to Win 11 at the office.

Can you get a bios without secure boot? Easy enough to turn off. Never
heard of TPM until recently. Would have to check to see if I have it.
Haven't run windows for quite a while, I use Linux Mint.

Re: [OT] Windows 11

<sbd3at$f4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1703&group=alt.windows7.general#1703

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 19:10:14 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:10 UTC

david c wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:34:50 -0400, Wolffan wrote:
>
>> On 2021 Jun 28, G.F. wrote (in article <sbcbk5$1qp2$1@gioia.aioe.org>):
>>
>>> And so now we have even Windows 11 ...
>>>
>>> Thought of the day: "Computing science is the art of forcing people to
>>> change PC to do the same things as before"
>>
>> Some of us won’t be ‘forced’ to do a damn thing. None of my personal
>> WinBoxes will run Win 11; none of the office WinBoxes will, either. I
>> will not be buying new equipment to run Win 11; I may get a new system
>> at home, when one of the older machines dies, a.k.a. sometime in the
>> next 18-24 months if past experience is a guide. The new box will be,
>> like the old boxes, a hand-built system and may/may not have things like
>> TPM and Secure Boot. In particular it might not have TPM if TPM hardware
>> costs more than I’m willing to pay, or if turning on TPM in software is
>> more trouble than I want to go to. Which means that the new box will run
>> Win 10... or Linux, probably Ubuntu. At the office, we are currently
>> setting up a lot of machines with Ubuntu as Ubuntu can (finally!) do
>> most of what we need which doesn’t require either very old drivers (XP,
>> 7, older versions of Mac OS X) or Macs; we have a lot of Macs, too. We
>> may never go to Win 11 at the office.
>
> Can you get a bios without secure boot? Easy enough to turn off. Never
> heard of TPM until recently. Would have to check to see if I have it.
> Haven't run windows for quite a while, I use Linux Mint.

If the roll-out of Win11 follows the pattern of Win10, then don't panic!
MS start out adamantly, give a bit to public pressure, give more, and
finally give all.

We'll end up with all limitations withdrawn, free downloads, and then
listen out for Win12 on the horizon.

Ed

Re: [OT] Windows 11

<sbffr9$h46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1732&group=alt.windows7.general#1732

From: dave61430@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:56:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 15:56 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 13:26:04 +0200, G.F. wrote:

> And so now we have even Windows 11 ...
>

> Thought of the day: "Computing science is the art of forcing people to
> change PC to do the same things as before"

Close, but not quite accurate. The idea is to sell a machine with a given
set of hardware and compatible software. Then update the software, adding
lots of bloat and limited added functionality. Create new software to do
same.
After a sufficient level of user frustration, buy new, faster better
hardware to run the new software.
Repeat process as needed.

Years ago, I had a desktop running MSDOS 3.1. As long as a document could
fit in memory (10 mb at that time), wordperfect would launch quite fast
and edit the document. Wordperfect had a print preview mode so you could
check output. If you installed a new printer, wordperfect would supply a
suitable driver.
Same thing for spreadsheet programs.

Then along came graphical displays and the rest is history, and here we
are.