The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Youtube is boken

SubjectAuthor
* Youtube is bokenPaul Bergsagel
+- Re: Youtube is bokenDavid E. Ross
+* Re: Youtube is bokenDirk Fieldhouse
|`- Re: Youtube is bokenDirk Fieldhouse
+- Re: Youtube is bokenR Daneel Olivaw
`* Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION FoundPaul Bergsagel
 +- Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION FoundR Daneel Olivaw
 `- Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION FoundRichmond

1
Youtube is boken

<uuqch7$1rkbg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1644&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1644

From: pbergsagel@shaw.ca (Paul Bergsagel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Youtube is boken
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 21:37:26 -0500
 by: Paul Bergsagel - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:37 UTC

Hi,

I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre

If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly. Where there should be
videos there are grey boxes displayed. I tried to change the user agent
string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey and
Firefox which did not work.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Paul.

Re: Youtube is boken

<uuqepk$1s2jc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1645&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1645

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Youtube is boken
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:16:02 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 03:16 UTC

On 4/5/2024 7:37 PM, Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>
> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly. Where there should be
> videos there are grey boxes displayed. I tried to change the user agent
> string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey and
> Firefox which did not work.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?
>
> Paul.

Do you have any extensions installed?

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2

I normally run with Secret Agent enabled, HTML 5 media disabled, and
only images from the domain I am visiting. For YouTube, I disable
Secret Agent, enable HTML 5 media, and enable all images. I also
normally run accepting only cookies from the domain I am visiting; for
YouTube, I do not change that. I very recently visited YouTube without
any trouble.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: Youtube is boken

<0gOdnXAY9pCYqYz7nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1646&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1646

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.mixmin.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:37:40 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:37 UTC

On 06/04/2024 03:37, Paul Bergsagel wrote:

> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>
> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly.  Where there should be
> videos there are grey boxes displayed.  I tried to change the user agent
> string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey and
> Firefox which did not work.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?

If you just want to consume YT, there are several much better front-end
sites that will do that for you. In particular Invidious doesn't need JS
enabled:
<https://old.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/13hdjiz/which_youtube_alternative_frontend_do_you_prefer/?rdt=40207>.

or if you just want to watch a video, no browser needed - in a command
shell that supports piping:

ytdl -o - "yt_id" | mpv -

where ytdl is the executable installed by youtube-dl or yt-dlp, yt_id is
the ID of the YT video and mpv is a well-known command-line media
player that might be replaced by vlc or another player that accepts a
media stream from its standard input.

/df

-- On 06/04/2024 03:37, Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>
> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly. Where there should be
> videos there are grey boxes displayed. I tried to change the user agent
> string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey and
> Firefox which did not work.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?

If you just want to consume YT, there are several much better front-end
sites that will do that for you. In particular Invidious doesn't need JS
enabled:
<https://old.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/13hdjiz/which_youtube_alternative_frontend_do_you_prefer/?rdt=40207>.

or if you just want to watch a video, no browser needed - in a command
shell that supports piping:

ytdl -o - "yt_id" | mpv -

where ytdl is the executable installed by youtube-dl or yt-dlp, yt_id is
the ID of the YT video and mpv is a well-known command-line media
player that might be replaced by vlc or another player that accepts a
media stream from its standard input.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Youtube is boken

<uurcdp$2mr37$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1647&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1647

From: Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov (R Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:41:45 +0200
 by: R Daneel Olivaw - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:41 UTC

Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>
> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly.  Where there should be
> videos there are grey boxes displayed.  I tried to change the user agent
> string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey and
> Firefox which did not work.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?
>
> Paul.

Works for me, I tend to look at YouTube in "Private Mode" and my User
Agent string is the one you can see in this posting.
As for Extensions: Chatzilla, Lightning (of course) and uBlock Origin.
I just looked at a video, the picture rendered without any problems and
the accompanying audio was also normal.

I use Linux, you use a Mac. If your problem has not gone away then I
suspect it has something to do with an update to your Mac.

Re: Youtube is boken

<FumcnTPgGJtE2Iz7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1648

From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:53:44 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:53 UTC

On 06/04/2024 12:37, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>...>

I posted the previous item before sullying my browser with a YouTube
page, but amazingly SM survived having G bloat JS enabled without
crashing, at least the first two or three times, but also without
actually playing the video (no login).

Start with SM 2.53.18.1/Linux x86 in a private window with these
possibly relevant sites enabled for JS in NoScript:

ajax.googleapis.com
apis.google.com
googlevideo.com
gstatic.com
maps.googleapis.com
translate.goog
translate.google.com
translate.googleapis.com
ytimg.com

* with NoScript showing no JS enabled for the page I get a
still from the video -- this is an improvement over the page full of
just greyed elements that one used to get

* with www.youtube.com enabled, I see a player with the red play button
and the video controls, the video can be played, the time-line works,
with thumbnails, but the miniplayer and cinema options do nothing

* with youtube.com enabled, the comment list and related video list
appear, the cinema option expands the player and repositions the related
list below, but although the player timeline still shows thumbnails the
play buttons play just a momentary burst; the video can b e played in
the miniplayer.

* no amount of additional G JS being enabled improves this but making
the UA 'Mozilla/5.0' (which should be the default for all browsers) does
show a playable large video with a wrongly laid-out timeline and
controls and all the features that started to work when youtube,com was
enabled broken

* with a specific old UA that YT recognises you may be reminded to
update your no-longer-supported browser and then "Remind me later" gives
the same result as the vanilla UA.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION Found

<uv21n5$3qd0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1649&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1649

From: pbergsagel@shaw.ca (Paul Bergsagel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION Found
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:21:57 -0500
 by: Paul Bergsagel - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:21 UTC

Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>
> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly.  Where there should be
> videos there are grey boxes displayed.  I tried to change the user agent
> string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey and
> Firefox which did not work.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?
>
> Paul.

Thanks everyone who replied. I found a solution and I do not know why
it works. To get youtube.com to work it needs to be opened in a Private
Window. You.tube is now working again. Can anyone explain why youtube
needs to opened in a private Window for it to work properly?

Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION Found

<uv30lu$3jkv0$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1650&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1650

From: Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov (R Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:10:22 +0200
 by: R Daneel Olivaw - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:10 UTC

Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> Paul Bergsagel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>>
>> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly.  Where there should
>> be videos there are grey boxes displayed.  I tried to change the user
>> agent string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or SeaMonkey
>> and Firefox which did not work.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a solution?
>>
>> Paul.
>
> Thanks everyone who replied.  I found a solution and I do not know why
> it works.  To get youtube.com to work it needs to be opened in a Private
> Window. You.tube is now working again.  Can anyone explain why youtube
> needs to opened in a private Window for it to work properly?

Since that is what I (almost) always do, I never knew there was a problem.

Re: Youtube is boken SOLUTION Found

<864jcar9hq.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1651&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1651

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 13:44:33 +0100
 by: Richmond - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:44 UTC

Paul Bergsagel <pbergsagel@shaw.ca> writes:

> Paul Bergsagel wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am running WG9s latest release seamonkey-2.53.19b1pre
>> If I go to Youtube the fails to render properly.  Where there should
>> be videos there are grey boxes displayed.  I tried to change the
>> user agent string to identify as Firefox only, SeaMonkey only or
>> SeaMonkey and Firefox which did not work.
>> Does anyone know of a solution?
>> Paul.
>
> Thanks everyone who replied. I found a solution and I do not know why
> it works. To get youtube.com to work it needs to be opened in a
> Private Window. You.tube is now working again. Can anyone explain why
> youtube needs to opened in a private Window for it to work properly?

It may have been a problem with cookies. Private windows start without
cookies. You could clear youtube cookies to see if that cures it in the
normal window. Or, it may have been an extension which is not present in
the private window.