From: cvjazz@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Re: PrintPDF Release Candidate for Testing
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:14:47 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 18:14 UTC

In article <mpro.rt7h1300mg28v05sp.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>, Steve Fryatt
<news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> As part of a project that may become apparent over the coming week,
> there have been some updates to PrintPDF made available as test builds
> over the past month or so. These have now turned into a release
> candidate, which is available to download from my website.

> Besides some small cosmetic changes for the Style Guide and an update
> to the EUPL 1.2 licence, the new release should not affect normal use
> at all.

> There are some bigger changes to the software hidden behind the scenes,
> however, so if any existing users would like to confirm this assumption
> (or prove it to be incorrect), a download of the candidate build
> db9e4ab can be found below the download of version 1.13 at

> https://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/risc-os/printpdf

Thanks for your hard work.

Can I drop the new version(s) over the old to update or do I need to
start from scratch?

--
Chris Newman

Re: PrintPDF Release Candidate for Testing

<mpro.rt832x03p7fl805sp.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1615&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1615

From: news@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 20:21:02 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:21 UTC

On 16 Apr, Chris Newman wrote in message
<5a96207f21cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> Thanks for your hard work.

I can't take much of the credit for the work on this one! I'm releasing the
update, but most of the effort came from the person who needed the new
functionality...

> Can I drop the new version(s) over the old to update or do I need to start
> from scratch?

As it's a test build, I'd be inclined to run it alongside your current
version. The settings are all stored in Choices, so you should be able to
unpack the application to somewhere temporary and run it from there. That
way, you can get back to the normal version again just by double-clicking on
that one instead (or re-booting).

Assuming things go to plan and no-one finds any issues, 1.20 is likely to be
out in time for some event that's happening in Bradford next weekend. That
could just be dropped on the old, but as no settings are inside the app, my
preferred approach would be to move/rename the old version and drop the new
into its place. That way, you don't have any issues with orphaned files or
things falling foul of the Filer's newer option.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1617&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1617

From: news@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: PrintPDF Release Candidate for Testing
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 12:24:44 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:24 UTC

[...]

<5a967ea502cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1618&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1618

From: cvjazz@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:23:08 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 11:23 UTC

In article <mpro.rt832x03p7fl805sp.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>, Steve Fryatt
<news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 16 Apr, Chris Newman wrote in message
> <5a96207f21cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> > Thanks for your hard work.

> I can't take much of the credit for the work on this one! I'm releasing
> the update, but most of the effort came from the person who needed the
> new functionality...

> > Can I drop the new version(s) over the old to update or do I need to
> > start from scratch?

> As it's a test build, I'd be inclined to run it alongside your current
> version. The settings are all stored in Choices, so you should be able
> to unpack the application to somewhere temporary and run it from there.
> That way, you can get back to the normal version again just by
> double-clicking on that one instead (or re-booting).

> Assuming things go to plan and no-one finds any issues, 1.20 is likely
> to be out in time for some event that's happening in Bradford next
> weekend. That could just be dropped on the old, but as no settings are
> inside the app, my preferred approach would be to move/rename the old
> version and drop the new into its place. That way, you don't have any
> issues with orphaned files or things falling foul of the Filer's newer
> option.

Thanks Steve. trialling the test version on Pi4 and RiscPC. I'll see what
happens.

--
Chris Newman