"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

SubjectAuthor
* Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...Skybuck Flying
`* Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...Paul
 `- Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...Bob F

1
Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

<06af547f-7504-486f-bb9e-3aa19f55801cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1617&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1617

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:46:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...
From: skybuckflying@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:46 UTC

Hi,

I have this old Nikon CoolPix L4 Digital Camera.

Recently I bought some new AA batteries at a local store.

The battery brand is: Grundig.

On the battery it says (non-rechargable)
975 mAh 1.5V Plus AA/R6

The original batteries (rechargeable) it says:
GP 2500
250A AHC 1.2V typical 2450 mAh

When I tried to power on the coolpix L4 with the new batteries, it comes on briefly, the camera extends, the LCD display comes on, but then the camera wants to shutdown and either says: Batteries drawned... or some other error.

Apperently these batteries don't work well with this Camera and the Camera gets confused ?!

I suspect it could be the volts or the ampere ?! Perhaps the volts causing over-voltage ?!

Or perhaps the digital camera battery detector detects it wrongly ?!?

Is there risk of blowing this camera up with 1.5 volt batteries instead of 1.2 volt batteries ?!

I share this story with you as an example of another nice electronics industry fuck up example !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S: Oh by the way, these new batteries do work nicely in my flashlight which is now working ok-ish again... most of the water has evaporated but not all...
maybe it still drains fast not sure... it's handy to have for working on computer.
Today I am virtualizing my second 2 TB harddisk, which is windows 7 data drive. Windows 7 reserved and system partitions/drive also 2 TB is already virtualized. Then I will make a copy of both and try them out in the hyper-v visor of microsoft windows 11, failing that I will try VMWare.
Stored in VHDX format.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

<up3lt4$3gon1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1619&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1619

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital
camera...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:34:59 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:34 UTC

On 1/27/2024 12:46 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this old Nikon CoolPix L4 Digital Camera.
>
> Recently I bought some new AA batteries at a local store.
>
> The battery brand is: Grundig.
>
> On the battery it says (non-rechargable)
> 975 mAh 1.5V Plus AA/R6
>
> The original batteries (rechargeable) it says:
> GP 2500
> 250A AHC 1.2V typical 2450 mAh
>
> When I tried to power on the coolpix L4 with the new batteries, it comes on briefly, the camera extends, the LCD display comes on, but then the camera wants to shutdown and either says: Batteries drawned... or some other error.
>
> Apperently these batteries don't work well with this Camera and the Camera gets confused ?!
>
> I suspect it could be the volts or the ampere ?! Perhaps the volts causing over-voltage ?!
>
> Or perhaps the digital camera battery detector detects it wrongly ?!?
>
> Is there risk of blowing this camera up with 1.5 volt batteries instead of 1.2 volt batteries ?!
>
> I share this story with you as an example of another nice electronics industry fuck up example !
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.
>
> P.S: Oh by the way, these new batteries do work nicely in my flashlight which is now working ok-ish again... most of the water has evaporated but not all...
> maybe it still drains fast not sure... it's handy to have for working on computer.
> Today I am virtualizing my second 2 TB harddisk, which is windows 7 data drive. Windows 7 reserved and system partitions/drive also 2 TB is already virtualized. Then I will make a copy of both and try them out in the hyper-v visor of microsoft windows 11, failing that I will try VMWare.
> Stored in VHDX format.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

The user manual should tell you what kind of batteries to use.

If they are NiMh, then you continue to use NiMh with the camera.
It's a good chemistry.

This charger, as an example, includes a battery analyzer, and it
will tell you how many milliamp-hours your NiMh cell has in it.
A new package of four cells, should be relatively well-matched.

http://www.economik.com/maha-energy/powerex-mh-c9000pro-wizardone-charger-analyzer-for-4-aa-aaa-nimh-nicd/

*******

I don't know if VHDX works with a lot of hosting softwares.
It works with at least Hyper-V.

You might need to find a converter somewhere, to convert
..vhdx to some other format.

On some hosting softwares, the interface is condescending, and
that stops my usage of the software right there. Both Windows and
Linux have versions of things I will not use. I tried Hyper-V,
did not like it. Whereas the older Windows Virtual PC, at one
time, that was my main hosting solution. Really nice interface.

If your plan is to do a lot of I/O in a virtualized environment,
that can be slow. This is about the best I can do today. Your
faster processor can likely do double this rate.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/wvRpZGc9/virtualbox-disk-speed-paravirtualization.gif

That's a Windows Guest on a Linux Host.

Paul

Re: Grundig AA batteries don't work with Nikon CoolPix L4 digital camera...

<up45mm$3j10i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1620&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1620

From: bobnospam@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
camera...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:04:31 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:04 UTC

On 1/27/2024 11:34 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 1/27/2024 12:46 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have this old Nikon CoolPix L4 Digital Camera.
>>
>> Recently I bought some new AA batteries at a local store.
>>
>> The battery brand is: Grundig.
>>
>> On the battery it says (non-rechargable)
>> 975 mAh 1.5V Plus AA/R6

Those seem to be old fashioned zinc-carbon batteries, which don't have
nearly the capacity of alkaline or NiMh batteries.