VMS must die!

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Anybody Still Here

SubjectAuthor
* Anybody Still HereJohn
+* Re: Anybody Still Here-hh
|+- Re: Anybody Still Herecandycanearter07
|`* Re: Anybody Still HereAlan
| `* Re: Anybody Still Here-hh
|  `* Re: Anybody Still HereAlan
|   `- Re: Anybody Still Here-hh
`* Re: Anybody Still HereDavid Brooks
 `* Re: Anybody Still Herecandycanearter07
  `* Re: Anybody Still HereDavid Brooks
   `- Re: Anybody Still Herecandycanearter07

1
Anybody Still Here

<qK6dnbuKrKzHBkP4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16166&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16166

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:32:58 -0800
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nopam@nospam.com (John)
Subject: Anybody Still Here
 by: John - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 02:32 UTC

Re: Anybody Still Here

<1490990686.730866668.697531.recscuba_google-huntzinger.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16167&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16167

From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Anybody Still Here
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:34:57 -0500
 by: -hh - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 02:34 UTC

John <nopam@nospam.com> wrote:

Yeah, still checking in periodically. With the demise of GG, it’s a lot
less convenient, as it’s now a “go launch an app” instead of having a
webpage interface.

Meantime, I’ve been starting to debate getting a new NAS, versus taking an
underutilized Mac mini I have and load it up with some external HDDs and
sharing them.

-hh

Re: Anybody Still Here

<urq9vk$mg8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16168&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16168

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:05:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:05 UTC

-hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote at 02:34 this Thursday (GMT):
> John <nopam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

> Yeah, still checking in periodically. With the demise of GG, it’s a lot
> less convenient, as it’s now a “go launch an app” instead of having a
> webpage interface.
>
> Meantime, I’ve been starting to debate getting a new NAS, versus taking an
> underutilized Mac mini I have and load it up with some external HDDs and
> sharing them.
>

> -hh

Hello!

Re: Anybody Still Here

<urr0se$ra30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16173&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16173

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:35:58 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:35 UTC

On 2024-02-28 18:34, -hh wrote:
> John <nopam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

> Yeah, still checking in periodically. With the demise of GG, it’s a lot
> less convenient, as it’s now a “go launch an app” instead of having a
> webpage interface.
>
> Meantime, I’ve been starting to debate getting a new NAS, versus taking an
> underutilized Mac mini I have and load it up with some external HDDs and
> sharing them.

Would you really save much by reusing the Mini?

Re: Anybody Still Here

<urslc5$18hi3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16174&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16174

From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:31:49 -0500
 by: -hh - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:31 UTC

On 2/29/24 5:35 PM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-28 18:34, -hh wrote:
>> John <nopam@nospam.com> wrote:
>> [-hh wrote]
>> Yeah, still checking in periodically.  With the demise of GG, it’s a lot
>> less convenient, as it’s now a “go launch an app” instead of having a
>> webpage interface.
>>
>> Meantime, I’ve been starting to debate getting a new NAS, versus
>> taking an underutilized Mac mini I have and load it up
>> with some external HDDs and sharing them.
>
> Would you really save much by reusing the Mini?

Probably some. First, the Mini is currently doing nothing important,
so it is "free" vs buying a Synology NAS (probably the DS1522+ ($700);
for its storage pool, I have a decent number of external HDD's that I
could technically reuse .. for the drives to go therein, I have a huge
stack of "small" (under 8TB) capacities.

Probably the big technical question is given the age of some of these
legacy HDD cases, they could have max drive capacity constraints
which would prevent me pulling their existing small 1-2TB drives and
replacing them with 10TB's to reuse the external drive cases. A
"short list" example to look into first are a pair of ~ten year old
USB/FW400 NewerTech dual HDD cases.

-hh

Re: Anybody Still Here

<urvu33$2195a$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16176&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16176

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:18:59 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:18 UTC

On 2024-03-01 05:31, -hh wrote:
> On 2/29/24 5:35 PM, Alan wrote:
>> On 2024-02-28 18:34, -hh wrote:
>>> John <nopam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> [-hh wrote]
>>> Yeah, still checking in periodically.  With the demise of GG, it’s a lot
>>> less convenient, as it’s now a “go launch an app” instead of having a
>>> webpage interface.
>>>
>>> Meantime, I’ve been starting to debate getting a new NAS, versus
>>> taking an underutilized Mac mini I have and load it up
>>> with some external HDDs and sharing them.
>>
>> Would you really save much by reusing the Mini?
>
> Probably some.  First, the Mini is currently doing nothing important,
> so it is "free" vs buying a Synology NAS (probably the DS1522+ ($700);
> for its storage pool, I have a decent number of external HDD's that I
> could technically reuse .. for the drives to go therein, I have a huge
> stack of "small" (under 8TB) capacities.

Ah! That changes the equation quite a bit.

If both the "brain" of the NAS and the drives are sunk cost, the yeah,
the Mini will save you.

> Probably the big technical question is given the age of some of these
> legacy HDD cases, they could have max drive capacity constraints
> which would prevent me pulling their existing small 1-2TB drives and
> replacing them with 10TB's to reuse the external drive cases.  A
> "short list" example to look into first are a pair of ~ten year old
> USB/FW400 NewerTech dual HDD cases.
Honestly, there is a hassle factor that I would be trying to avoid as
well. You might save a few dollars by reusing the Mini, but doing all
the research to see what your drive enclosures can support, and manually
configuring a RAID...

....how many hours do you want to spend?

Re: Anybody Still Here

<uspbe7$84pq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16177&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16177

From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 06:40:07 -0400
 by: -hh - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:40 UTC

On 3/2/24 2:18 PM, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-03-01 05:31, -hh wrote:

>>> Would you really save much by reusing the Mini?
>>
>> Probably some.  First, the Mini is currently doing nothing important,
>> so it is "free" vs buying a Synology NAS (probably the DS1522+ ($700);
>> for its storage pool, I have a decent number of external HDD's that I
>> could technically reuse .. for the drives to go therein, I have a huge
>> stack of "small" (under 8TB) capacities.
>>

> Ah! That changes the equation quite a bit.

Indeed.

> If both the "brain" of the NAS and the drives are sunk cost, the yeah,
> the Mini will save you.

Well, the mini is a sunk cost, as is also the existing NAS, but buying
another NAS (for more storage capacity) isn't a sunk cost. Question is
really if using the mini for this purpose is reasonable or not. Answer
to that comes down to the potential cost of external HDDs that I already
have which would be 'free', as opposed to buying new HDDs for filling a
new NAS.

>> Probably the big technical question is given the age of some of these
>> legacy HDD cases, they could have max drive capacity constraints
>> which would prevent me pulling their existing small 1-2TB drives and
>> replacing them with 10TB's to reuse the external drive cases.  A
>> "short list" example to look into first are a pair of ~ten year old
>> USB/FW400 NewerTech dual HDD cases.
> Honestly, there is a hassle factor that I would be trying to avoid as
> well. You might save a few dollars by reusing the Mini, but doing all
> the research to see what your drive enclosures can support, and manually
> configuring a RAID...
>
> ...how many hours do you want to spend?

Ideally, zero :-)

But I'm figuring that a few hours is okay, especially since it would
need to do an inventory all of the HDDs that I've accumulated over the
years, and verify my redundant data backups, which I'm quite delinquent
in having done anyway, so a chunk of this touch labor is notionally
being "paid for" by this other existing 'maintenance overhead' task.

-hh

Re: Anybody Still Here

<l6cqr8FcuttU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16179&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16179

From: applefanboy@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:27:20 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:27 UTC

On 28/02/2024 02:32, John wrote:

Hello John! 🙂

I've just popped in to say "Hello"!

I use Thunderbird to read Usenet messages - it works REALLY well nowadays!

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

It's free - although contributions are very welcome!

Re: Anybody Still Here

<uts4nc$15j59$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16180&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16180

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:20:12 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:20 UTC

David Brooks <applefanboy@btinternet.com> wrote at 08:27 this Monday (GMT):
> On 28/02/2024 02:32, John wrote:
>
> Hello John! 🙂
>
> I've just popped in to say "Hello"!
>
> I use Thunderbird to read Usenet messages - it works REALLY well nowadays!
>
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/
>
> It's free - although contributions are very welcome!

Hiya! There's still plenty of people around!

Re: Anybody Still Here

<l6e9vpFjvbiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16181&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16181

From: applefanboy@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:51:53 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:51 UTC

On 25/03/2024 15:20, candycanearter07 wrote:
> David Brooks <applefanboy@btinternet.com> wrote at 08:27 this Monday (GMT):
>> On 28/02/2024 02:32, John wrote:
>>
>> Hello John! 🙂
>>
>> I've just popped in to say "Hello"!
>>
>> I use Thunderbird to read Usenet messages - it works REALLY well nowadays!
>>
>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/
>>
>> It's free - although contributions are very welcome!
>

> Hiya! There's still plenty of people around!

Good news! 🙂

I don't recognise this fella .....
https://i.ibb.co/TtjVBqX/BBCF4-CED-C0-CA-4-F21-9954-1784904-F8-D8-E-4-5005-c.jpg

Who or what is he/it?!!!

Re: Anybody Still Here

<utuq8t$1t470$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16186&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16186

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:40:13 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:40 UTC

David Brooks <applefanboy@btinternet.com> wrote at 21:51 this Monday (GMT):
> On 25/03/2024 15:20, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> David Brooks <applefanboy@btinternet.com> wrote at 08:27 this Monday (GMT):
>>> On 28/02/2024 02:32, John wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello John! 🙂
>>>
>>> I've just popped in to say "Hello"!
>>>
>>> I use Thunderbird to read Usenet messages - it works REALLY well nowadays!
>>>
>>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/
>>>
>>> It's free - although contributions are very welcome!
>>

>> Hiya! There's still plenty of people around!
>
> Good news! 🙂
>
> I don't recognise this fella .....
> https://i.ibb.co/TtjVBqX/BBCF4-CED-C0-CA-4-F21-9954-1784904-F8-D8-E-4-5005-c.jpg
>
> Who or what is he/it?!!!

Oh, its a slime character I made. His name's sappy ^^