The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time. -- Merrick Furst

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: OT: Testing the new car

SubjectAuthor
* Re: OT: Testing the new car-hh
`* Re: OT: Testing the new carThomas E.
 +- Re: OT: Testing the new carAlan
 `* Re: OT: Testing the new car-hh
  `* Re: OT: Testing the new carThomas E.
   +* Re: OT: Testing the new car-hh
   |+* Re: OT: Testing the new carThomas E.
   ||`- Re: OT: Testing the new car-hh
   |`* Re: OT: Testing the new carThomas E.
   | `- Re: OT: Testing the new car-hh
   `- Re: OT: Testing the new carAlan

1
Re: OT: Testing the new car

<1c1dfe31-d221-49e0-9cd1-2418acb2c6een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16110&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16110

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:30:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: OT: Testing the new car
From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 23:30 UTC

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 4:46:21 PM UTC-4, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:54:55 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

> > > And miss the whole season. How utterly convenient.
> > >

> > Very inconvenient in point of fact—not only would it mean missing the
> > racing season, but at least half of my hockey season, and Christmas with
> > my family in all likelihood, but also very lucrative. About $1,000USD a
> > day, 6 days a week for about 6 months.
> >
> > Do the math. That will pay for a lot of future racing.
> >
> > :-D
> $156,000 is bit less than I made all last year, and a pretty darn good 6 months for a college drop-out.
>
> I just signed a contract for project that could pay about $2,000 a day + expenses for
> at least the next 6 months, and I can do it from here. At 5 days a week you do the math.
> Then add in my $145k pension and investment base income.
>
> 2018 taxes could be pretty awful for both of us. :)

Just in case Tommy wants to deny that he made this claim... /s

-hh

Re: OT: Testing the new car

<5977bb68-da6d-4e10-b2da-b036e9ae2738n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16114&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16114

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:06:41 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:06 UTC

On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 6:30:16 PM UTC-5, -hh wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 4:46:21 PM UTC-4, Thomas E. wrote:

> > > Very inconvenient in point of fact—not only would it mean missing the
> > > racing season, but at least half of my hockey season, and Christmas with
> > > my family in all likelihood, but also very lucrative. About $1,000USD a
> > > day, 6 days a week for about 6 months.
> > >
> > > Do the math. That will pay for a lot of future racing.
> > >
> > > :-D
> > $156,000 is bit less than I made all last year, and a pretty darn good 6 months for a college drop-out.
> >
> > I just signed a contract for project that could pay about $2,000 a day + expenses for
> > at least the next 6 months, and I can do it from here. At 5 days a week you do the math.
> > Then add in my $145k pension and investment base income.
> >
> > 2018 taxes could be pretty awful for both of us. :)
> Just in case Tommy wants to deny that he made this claim... /s
>
> -hh

Actually, we don't know if Alan's project came through. Mine did, but it fizzled because the multiple clients could not agree on an approach. Income was on that one was nominal. I did land a different project though. It did not kick off until late 2019 and ran over into 2020. Total billings were over $100k. It was my last major project.

Re: OT: Testing the new car

<uq46eq$2f1g9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16117&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16117

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:33:46 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 03:33 UTC

On 2024-02-08 18:06, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 6:30:16 PM UTC-5, -hh wrote:

>>> $156,000 is bit less than I made all last year, and a pretty darn
>>> good 6 months for a college drop-out.
>>>
>>> I just signed a contract for project that could pay about $2,000
>>> a day + expenses for at least the next 6 months, and I can do it
>>> from here. At 5 days a week you do the math. Then add in my $145k
>>> pension and investment base income.
>>>
>>> 2018 taxes could be pretty awful for both of us. :)
>> Just in case Tommy wants to deny that he made this claim... /s
>>
>> -hh
>
> Actually, we don't know if Alan's project came through. Mine did, but
> it fizzled because the multiple clients could not agree on an
> approach. Income was on that one was nominal. I did land a different
> project though. It did not kick off until late 2019 and ran over into
> 2020. Total billings were over $100k. It was my last major project.

You are very good with excuses... ...dick.

Re: OT: Testing the new car

<64f5ade8-3fe3-4b8a-8f87-f1f6a39e8ea0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16118&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16118

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 23:49:33 -0800 (PST)
From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 07:49 UTC

On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 9:06:43 PM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 6:30:16 PM UTC-5, -hh wrote:

> > > $156,000 is bit less than I made all last year, and a pretty darn good 6 months for a college drop-out.
> > >
> > > I just signed a contract for project that could pay about $2,000 a day + expenses for
> > > at least the next 6 months, and I can do it from here. At 5 days a week you do the math.
> > > Then add in my $145k pension and investment base income.
> > >
> > > 2018 taxes could be pretty awful for both of us. :)
> >
> > Just in case Tommy wants to deny that he made this claim... /s
> >
> > -hh
>
> Actually, we don't know if Alan's project came through. Mine did, but it fizzled because
> the multiple clients could not agree on an approach. Income was on that one was nominal.

Not the point. The point was that here in 2018, you claimed “my $145K pension
and investment base income.”, yet in 2024, you claimed that your pension, plus your
wife’s pension, and both of your SS checks combined now sum to only $100K.

As ed pointed out to you, WTF?

The slight of hand appears to have been the just-ambiguous-enough phrasing which
implied a pension of $145K, plus an unspecified additional amount of investment
income, instead of the reading of it as a pension & investments income(s) which
taken together sum to $145K.

Given your propensities, the latter is more likely. Particularly as 2018 would have
around the onset of RMDs of former employer 401k. Plus the phrasing allows for
counting of discretionary (& greater-than-RMD) transactions, and of “one-shots”,
such as the exercising of an old/expiring stock options, Roth conversions, etc.

> I did land a different project though. It did not kick off until late 2019 and
> ran over into 2020. Total billings were over $100k. It was my last major project.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: Testing the new car

<151a1adb-93c9-4385-8454-0aeabe9e2f8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16120&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16120

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 08:32:50 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

<b2de1325-a330-43cc-9b4a-dbf963645ab6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16123&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16123

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:39:34 -0800 (PST)
From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:39 UTC

On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 11:32:52 AM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 2:49:34 AM UTC-5, -hh wrote:

> > > Actually, we don't know if Alan's project came through. Mine did, but it fizzled because
> > > the multiple clients could not agree on an approach. Income was on that one was nominal.
> >
> > Not the point. The point was that here in 2018, you claimed “my $145K pension
> > and investment base income.”, yet in 2024, you claimed that your pension, plus your
> > wife’s pension, and both of your SS checks combined now sum to only $100K.
> >
> > As ed pointed out to you, WTF?
> >
> > The slight of hand appears to have been the just-ambiguous-enough phrasing which
> > implied a pension of $145K, plus an unspecified additional amount of investment
> > income, instead of the reading of it as a pension & investments income(s) which
> > taken together sum to $145K.
> >
> > Given your propensities, the latter is more likely. Particularly as 2018 would have
> > around the onset of RMDs of former employer 401k. Plus the phrasing allows for
> > counting of discretionary (& greater-than-RMD) transactions, and of “one-shots”,
> > such as the exercising of an old/expiring stock options, Roth conversions, etc.
> >
> > > I did land a different project though. It did not kick off until late 2019 and
> > > ran over into 2020. Total billings were over $100k. It was my last major project.
> >
> > Which was much lower in total vs its prior potential, plus “billings” is a gross, not net,
> > so it is not actual real, take-home income like the other numbers. Deduct off a few
> > business trips, add overhead, and the balance left remaining for real net income is …?
> > /s
> >

> OH MY GOD! Ask questions before you make assumptions. I retired in 2003, remember?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: Testing the new car

<uqdt2f$1mar0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16125&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16125

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:54:55 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:54 UTC

On 2024-02-12 08:32, Thomas E. wrote:

>>> Actually, we don't know if Alan's project came through. Mine did, but it fizzled because
>>> the multiple clients could not agree on an approach. Income was on that one was nominal.
>> Not the point. The point was that here in 2018, you claimed “my $145K pension
>> and investment base income.”, yet in 2024, you claimed that your pension, plus your
>> wife’s pension, and both of your SS checks combined now sum to only $100K.
>>
>> As ed pointed out to you, WTF?
>>
>> The slight of hand appears to have been the just-ambiguous-enough phrasing which
>> implied a pension of $145K, plus an unspecified additional amount of investment
>> income, instead of the reading of it as a pension & investments income(s) which
>> taken together sum to $145K.
>>
>> Given your propensities, the latter is more likely. Particularly as 2018 would have
>> around the onset of RMDs of former employer 401k. Plus the phrasing allows for
>> counting of discretionary (& greater-than-RMD) transactions, and of “one-shots”,
>> such as the exercising of an old/expiring stock options, Roth conversions, etc.
>>> I did land a different project though. It did not kick off until late 2019 and
>>> ran over into 2020. Total billings were over $100k. It was my last major project.
>> Which was much lower in total vs its prior potential, plus “billings” is a gross, not net,
>> so it is not actual real, take-home income like the other numbers. Deduct off a few
>> business trips, add overhead, and the balance left remaining for real net income is …?
>> /s
>>
>> -hh
>
> OH MY GOD! Ask questions before you make assumptions.

You have GOT to be kidding, dick.

Re: OT: Testing the new car

<789eafc1-84f1-4127-b346-6d32996989b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16130&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16130

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:13:33 -0800 (PST)
References: <pek8i8$lnd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <c0daa7ba-d5a4-40d2-aece-7a2a65493ac3@googlegroups.com> <pf3nv0$1uve$1@gioia.aioe.org> <f19299b8-1b6f-4f20-8c77-e2ada7056003@googlegroups.com> <pf48ur$uj4$1@gioia.aioe.org> <39681343-8b82-4229-af04-1c2a729bbb0c@googlegroups.com> <1c1dfe31-d221-49e0-9cd1-2418acb2c6een@googlegroups.com> <5977bb68-da6d-4e10-b2da-b036e9ae2738n@googlegroups.com> <64f5ade8-3fe3-4b8a-8f87-f1f6a39e8ea0n@googlegroups.com> <151a1adb-93c9-4385-8454-0aeabe9e2f8fn@googlegroups.com> <b2de1325-a330-43cc-9b4a-dbf963645ab6n@googlegroups.com>
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:13 UTC

<2cf19236-72c6-443d-bef8-d92d35ab9790n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16131&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16131

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:30:15 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:30 UTC

<98dd79a6-2607-4d42-8e7b-fd27249dd935n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16132&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#16132

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 05:50:40 -0800 (PST)
From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:50 UTC

On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 7:13:36 AM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 2:39:36 PM UTC-5, -hh wrote:

> > > OH MY GOD! Ask questions before you make assumptions. I retired in 2003, remember?
> >
> > No, you lost your job in 2003, and the severance package was $240K in cash (2 years
> > of salary), plus a pension...which we've since learned was perhaps just $45K.
> >
> > > Even before retirement the options expired 10 years after issue. It was 5 years to
> > > expiration from the day I retired. So in 2018 those options had been gone for 10 years.
> > > Those expiration periods are somewhat standard. Have you ever received an employer
> > > stock option? Do you even know how they work?
> >
> > Yes, we've had such options ... and have sold very little of them, so they're currently
> > spinning off around $1K/mo in dividends.
> >
> > In any event, Stock Options was merely one of several ways that an annual income
> > can have a transient bump up, so the lack of any remaining options on your part
> > doesn't make it impossible for you to have income from the others...which you then
> > admit to after your whining:
> >
> > > The RMD income started in 2016 (1946+70). That's the 2018 difference. You can
> > > call it a 401k pension or investment income. I think of it both ways.
> > Having a 401k is a retirement benefit, as it is tax-advantaged, but I'd never refer to
> >
> > it as a 'pension' regardless of additional modifiers because its a present value cash
> > balance and structurally not an annuity, nor anything close to one.
> >
> > > That last project involved no travel or overhead, it was 100% billable hours.
> > > The number is IRS-basis net income that does include some expenses that
> > > are not deductible unless you have a home office and have a positive gross margin.
> >
> > Both of which you do have, which means you could have dumped into your 401k
> > rather than to take it now as taxable income.
> >
> > > Yes, the project that fell through could have been worth at least twice that.
> > > The operative word was "could". We will never know, will we?
> >
> > Same as your rampant speculation attempts on Alan's income.
> >

> Actually, I have hard evidence from 2018 forward in my possession that all is not well
> with Alan's finances. I promised Alan I would never show that to anyone, including you.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: Testing the new car

<87553eae-eb8b-4540-960f-32bea26c2696n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid