19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: iMac drive overheating

SubjectAuthor
* iMac drive overheatingConnor Shannon
+* Re: iMac drive overheatingnospam
|`* Re: iMac drive overheatingConnor Shannon
| `- Re: iMac drive overheatingnospam
+* Re: iMac drive overheatingDavid Brooks
|`- Re: iMac drive overheatingnospam
+- Re: iMac drive overheatingJoerg Lorenz
+- Re: iMac drive overheatingAlan Browne
`* Re: iMac drive overheatingGeorg Schwarz
 `- Re: iMac drive overheatingAlan Browne

1
iMac drive overheating

<cd57ca94-0ab0-4dab-802d-c9f0b8651c52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15992&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15992

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 12:24:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: iMac drive overheating
From: cshannon1898@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:24 UTC

Hi I have a really old but trusty iMac, 2011. Yes it has an old Mac OS but that means I can keep using Adobe CS5 and don't have to buy the really expensive new one. And some other stuff the newer Macs cant use.

Several years ago the hard drive died and a Mac shop put in a new Toshiba and Mac Fan Control I think b'cuz the built in software couldn't talk to the Toshiba or something like that. That worked okay but more and more lately the fan goes faster and faster to keep the hard drive from overheating. Usually its around 1300 rpm but a little while ago it went up over 3000 which it's been doing more and more. I let it settle down to about 2500 and then closed all my apps and restarted the Mac.

Well the computer was sitting there with NOTHING RUNNING and the fan went up over 3000 rpm again! I looked at Activity Monitor and it said the Disk was mostly things called trustd, launchd and kernel task. I just sat there and it went down to about 2800 and then started going up again! The only program I had open was Activity Monitor!

Now it's about 15 mins later and it's still going up and down near 3000 rpm.. It won't settle down. :(

Do you know what would cause this? Is there something wrong with the hard drive?

I know every body is going to say get a new Mac and your probably right I just wanted to ask what might be going on with this one.

Re: iMac drive overheating

<250520231534502754%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15993&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15993

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: iMac drive overheating
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 15:34:50 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:34 UTC

In article <cd57ca94-0ab0-4dab-802d-c9f0b8651c52n@googlegroups.com>,
Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I have a really old but trusty iMac, 2011. Yes it has an old Mac OS but
> that means I can keep using Adobe CS5 and don't have to buy the really
> expensive new one. And some other stuff the newer Macs cant use.
>
> Several years ago the hard drive died and a Mac shop put in a new Toshiba and
> Mac Fan Control I think b'cuz the built in software couldn't talk to the
> Toshiba or something like that. That worked okay but more and more lately the
> fan goes faster and faster to keep the hard drive from overheating. Usually
> its around 1300 rpm but a little while ago it went up over 3000 which it's
> been doing more and more. I let it settle down to about 2500 and then closed
> all my apps and restarted the Mac.
>
> Well the computer was sitting there with NOTHING RUNNING and the fan went up
> over 3000 rpm again! I looked at Activity Monitor and it said the Disk was
> mostly things called trustd, launchd and kernel task. I just sat there and it
> went down to about 2800 and then started going up again! The only program I
> had open was Activity Monitor!
>
> Now it's about 15 mins later and it's still going up and down near 3000 rpm.
> It won't settle down. :(
>
> Do you know what would cause this? Is there something wrong with the hard
> drive?

sounds like they didn't properly connect the temp sensor.

get this and have someone competent install it, not whatever mac shop
you went to, who ripped you off.

<https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/>

Re: iMac drive overheating

<3fe2f9dd-05f0-4b0c-b0d2-7732fc343995n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15994&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15994

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 12:46:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: cshannon1898@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:46 UTC

On Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 12:36:53 PM UTC-7, nospam wrote:

> sounds like they didn't properly connect the temp sensor.
>
> get this and have someone competent install it, not whatever mac shop
> you went to, who ripped you off.
>
> <https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/>

Sorry I don't know what you mean. The sensor must be working or the fan wouldn't come on at the temp I told it to. It's been in there for years. Maybe the sensor is finally going bad, or the hard drive is??

Re: iMac drive overheating

<CYObM.474115$ZhSc.70517@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15995&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15995

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 20:48:50 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:48 UTC

On 25/05/2023 20:24, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi I have a really old but trusty iMac, 2011. Yes it has an old Mac OS but that means I can keep using Adobe CS5 and don't have to buy the really expensive new one. And some other stuff the newer Macs cant use.
>
> Several years ago the hard drive died and a Mac shop put in a new Toshiba and Mac Fan Control I think b'cuz the built in software couldn't talk to the Toshiba or something like that. That worked okay but more and more lately the fan goes faster and faster to keep the hard drive from overheating. Usually its around 1300 rpm but a little while ago it went up over 3000 which it's been doing more and more. I let it settle down to about 2500 and then closed all my apps and restarted the Mac.
>
> Well the computer was sitting there with NOTHING RUNNING and the fan went up over 3000 rpm again! I looked at Activity Monitor and it said the Disk was mostly things called trustd, launchd and kernel task. I just sat there and it went down to about 2800 and then started going up again! The only program I had open was Activity Monitor!
>
> Now it's about 15 mins later and it's still going up and down near 3000 rpm. It won't settle down. :(
>
> Do you know what would cause this? Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
>
> I know every body is going to say get a new Mac and your probably right I just wanted to ask what might be going on with this one.

You might like to try this, Connor:-

https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/download

I also used to use /this/ software on my 2009 iMac (subsequently
replaced!) https://www.eidac.de

Worth a try!

Good luck! 😀

Re: iMac drive overheating

<250520231556451642%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15996&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15996

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 15:56:45 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:56 UTC

In article <3fe2f9dd-05f0-4b0c-b0d2-7732fc343995n@googlegroups.com>,
Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:

> > sounds like they didn't properly connect the temp sensor.
> >
> > get this and have someone competent install it, not whatever mac shop
> > you went to, who ripped you off.
> >
> > <https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/>
>
> Sorry I don't know what you mean. The sensor must be working or the fan
> wouldn't come on at the temp I told it to. It's been in there for years.

the fan control app is probably using a different temp sensor.

there is no reason to use a fan utility if the drive sensor is there.

> Maybe the sensor is finally going bad, or the hard drive is??

or maybe it's not there. it's also possible the drive is going bad but
that is probably unrelated if it is.

take it to a competent and trustworthy mac repair shop. unfortunately,
it's too old for an apple store to do anything, but it's possible they
may be able to diagnose it, which would be free.

Re: iMac drive overheating

<250520231556461712%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15997&group=comp.sys.mac.system#15997

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 15:56:46 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:56 UTC

In article <CYObM.474115$ZhSc.70517@fx38.iad>, David Brooks
<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> > Several years ago the hard drive died and a Mac shop put in a new Toshiba
> > and Mac Fan Control I think b'cuz the built in software couldn't talk to

> You might like to try this, Connor:-
>
> https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/download

learn to read, if possible.

Re: iMac drive overheating

<u4q3a6$gnq4$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16000&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16000

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 12:57:10 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 26 May 2023 10:57 UTC

Am 25.05.23 um 21:24 schrieb Connor Shannon:
> Hi I have a really old but trusty iMac, 2011. Yes it has an old Mac OS but that means I can keep using Adobe CS5 and don't have to buy the really expensive new one. And some other stuff the newer Macs cant use.
>
> Several years ago the hard drive died and a Mac shop put in a new Toshiba and Mac Fan Control I think b'cuz the built in software couldn't talk to the Toshiba or something like that. That worked okay but more and more lately the fan goes faster and faster to keep the hard drive from overheating. Usually its around 1300 rpm but a little while ago it went up over 3000 which it's been doing more and more. I let it settle down to about 2500 and then closed all my apps and restarted the Mac.
>
> Well the computer was sitting there with NOTHING RUNNING and the fan went up over 3000 rpm again! I looked at Activity Monitor and it said the Disk was mostly things called trustd, launchd and kernel task. I just sat there and it went down to about 2800 and then started going up again! The only program I had open was Activity Monitor!
>
> Now it's about 15 mins later and it's still going up and down near 3000 rpm. It won't settle down. :(
>
> Do you know what would cause this? Is there something wrong with the hard drive?

Probably not but who knows?

> I know every body is going to say get a new Mac and your probably right I just wanted to ask what might be going on with this one.

Open it and suck up the *dust* with the *vaccleaner*.

Absolutely no need for a new Mac because of *that*. If you do not visit
hardcore porn sites and you work as a non-privileged user (not
administrator) that could and should work.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: iMac drive overheating

<Ni6cM.592934$Olad.122254@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16006&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16006

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 13:49:33 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 26 May 2023 17:49 UTC

On 2023-05-25 15:24, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi I have a really old but trusty iMac, 2011. Yes it has an old Mac OS but that means I can keep using Adobe CS5 and don't have to buy the really expensive new one. And some other stuff the newer Macs cant use.
>
> Several years ago the hard drive died and a Mac shop put in a new Toshiba and Mac Fan Control I think b'cuz the built in software couldn't talk to the Toshiba or something like that. That worked okay but more and more lately the fan goes faster and faster to keep the hard drive from overheating. Usually its around 1300 rpm but a little while ago it went up over 3000 which it's been doing more and more. I let it settle down to about 2500 and then closed all my apps and restarted the Mac.
>
> Well the computer was sitting there with NOTHING RUNNING and the fan went up over 3000 rpm again! I looked at Activity Monitor and it said the Disk was mostly things called trustd, launchd and kernel task. I just sat there and it went down to about 2800 and then started going up again! The only program I had open was Activity Monitor!
>
> Now it's about 15 mins later and it's still going up and down near 3000 rpm. It won't settle down. :(

This doesn't mean the drive is overheating, it means the fan is not
being properly controlled, and that is possibly a bad temp sensor somewhere.

There used to be an app called SMC Fan Control - you could install that
and see if you can get the fan speed down.

I'd only do this if I had an app like iStat Menus installed so I could
check various temps inside the case. (Come to think of it, it also has
fan speed control so you wouldn't need SMC Fan Control as well if you
have iStat menus).

> Do you know what would cause this? Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
>
> I know every body is going to say get a new Mac and your probably right I just wanted to ask what might be going on with this one.

Never give up on keeping a good Mac going! Mine is a 2012... a couple
issues but generally fine.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: iMac drive overheating

<1qbeo93.1rurzeqg6nts5N%georg.schwarz@freenet.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16014&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16014

From: georg.schwarz@freenet.de (Georg Schwarz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 20:15:29 +0200
 by: Georg Schwarz - Sat, 27 May 2023 18:15 UTC

An NVRAM Reset might be worth a shot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Re: iMac drive overheating

<l9scM.355990$eRZ7.183957@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16015&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16015

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 14:41:21 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 27 May 2023 18:41 UTC

On 2023-05-27 14:15, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> An NVRAM Reset might be worth a shot.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Doh! Usually that's my line! (SMC reset too...)