What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens. -- Bengamin Disraeli

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / How to 'Protect' myself??

SubjectAuthor
* How to 'Protect' myself??Daniel65
+* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??David H Durgee
|`- Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Daniel65
`* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 `* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Dirk Fieldhouse
  +* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Daniel65
  |`* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Mike Easter
  | `* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Mike Easter
  |  `* Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Dirk Fieldhouse
  |   `- Re: How to 'Protect' myself??Daniel65
  `- Re: How to 'Protect' myself??...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
How to 'Protect' myself??

<usc1ng$vo7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1596&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1596

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: How to 'Protect' myself??
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:34:41 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 09:34 UTC

I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a

So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9 ....
and disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is installed. If
I disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??

Internet connection is via Wi-Fi, so, hopefully, that will not be too
difficult (Umm! Where did I put my Wi-Fi password when I last used it??
;-P )

Does anyone here have any suggestions that might help me out??
(By-the-by, First time SSD user, so that could be interesting!!)
--
Daniel

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<l4ue8jFa82uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1597&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1597

From: dhdurgee@privacy.net (David H Durgee)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: How to 'Protect' myself??
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:10:25 -0700
 by: David H Durgee - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:10 UTC

You might want to consider installing W11 in Virtual Box running under
your Linux system. That is how I run Windows programs here with a Win7
virtual box.

I don't know specifically how you would need to handle that with Win11,
so check around before attempting it.

Dave

>Daniel65 wrote: I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....
>
> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a
>

> So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
> reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9 ....
> and disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is installed. If
> I disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??
>
> Internet connection is via Wi-Fi, so, hopefully, that will not be too
> difficult (Umm! Where did I put my Wi-Fi password when I last used it??
> ;-P )
>
> Does anyone here have any suggestions that might help me out??
> (By-the-by, First time SSD user, so that could be interesting!!)

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<usd0ca$16cs2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1598&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1598

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:17:42 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:17 UTC

Daniel65 wrote on 3/7/24 2:34 AM:
> I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....
>
> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a
>

> So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
> reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9 .... and
> disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is installed. If I
> disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??

MSIE is deprecated in Windows 11. Edge(Chromium based) is the installed
Microsoft browser. It's also integrated, component of Windows 11.
- If MSIE is still present as an option on your new device, opening
MSIE will automatically redirect and open Edge.

Using a different browser as the default browser, or even other
installed(but not default) browser will not 'lose MS Office.

> Internet connection is via Wi-Fi, so, hopefully, that will not be too
> difficult (Umm! Where did I put my Wi-Fi password when I last used it??
> ;-P )
>
> Does anyone here have any suggestions that might help me out??
> (By-the-by, First time SSD user, so that could be interesting!!)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<-kOdnYy_-O2sz3f4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1599&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1599

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:47:47 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:47 UTC

On 07/03/2024 18:17, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> Daniel65 wrote on 3/7/24 2:34 AM:
>> I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....
>>
>> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a
>>
>> So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
>> reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9 ....
>> and disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is installed.
>> If I disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??
Staying slightly on topic here, you might like to investigate the
lock-down masterwork Tiny11, a <4GB W11 installation with almost all the
useless features of W11 removed (but generally installable if really
wanted). The creator has an excellent blog post explaining why various
features should be rejected or retained (goodbye weekend). There is a
system Edge WebView component that is recommended to be retained while
the main system browser could be FF or some Chromium derivative. In
Tiny11 you have to install your own browser. No doubt this is true for
email too.

Weirdly, it turns out that there is a fairly professional website
offering tools that generate activation codes for Windows and Office.
Where is the development of these tools hosted? Why, that Microsoft
property GitHub!

My experience, from a Core i3/6GB laptop that I expected would be quite
beefy compared with my stable of Core 2 Duo and earlier models, is that
even Tiny11 2311 was like wading through treacle compared with MX Linux
23: maybe the x64 Linux is slower. Even the boot was sh**: at least a
minute of static Windows splash icon before a whirling cursor appeared.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<usel7b$1jski$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1600&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1600

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:19:42 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:19 UTC

David H Durgee wrote on 8/3/24 5:10 am:
> You might want to consider installing W11 in Virtual Box running under
> your Linux system.  That is how I run Windows programs here with a Win7
> virtual box.
>
> I don't know specifically how you would need to handle that with Win11,
> so check around before attempting it.

So that would mean me learning how to Use Win11 whilst learning how to
use a VirtualBox environment!! Just stacking my potential Problems up, I
think! ;-(

>> Daniel65 wrote: I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....
>>
>> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a
>>

>> So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
>> reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9 ....
>> and disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is installed.
>> If I disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??
>>
>> Internet connection is via Wi-Fi, so, hopefully, that will not be too
>> difficult (Umm! Where did I put my Wi-Fi password when I last used
>> it?? ;-P )
>>
>> Does anyone here have any suggestions that might help me out??
>> (By-the-by, First time SSD user, so that could be interesting!!)

--
Daniel

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<uselvm$1k253$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1601&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1601

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:32:40 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:32 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 8/3/24 10:47 am:
> On 07/03/2024 18:17, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Daniel65 wrote on 3/7/24 2:34 AM:
>>> I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....
>>>
>>> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a
>>>
>>> So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
>>> reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9
>>> .... and disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is
>>> installed. If I disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??

> Staying slightly on topic here, you might like to investigate the
> lock-down masterwork Tiny11, a <4GB W11 installation with almost all
> the useless features of W11 removed (but generally installable if
> really wanted). The creator has an excellent blog post explaining why
> various features should be rejected or retained (goodbye weekend).

So is this something like Win95Lite (or was it Win98Lite) that I used on
my Desktop way back when??

Might be worthwhile my giving Tiny11 a go .... AFTER I take a back up of
the Entire Win11 System.

> There is a system Edge WebView component that is recommended to be
> retained while the main system browser could be FF or some Chromium
> derivative. In Tiny11 you have to install your own browser. No doubt
> this is true for email too.

SeaMonkey Internet Suite in my case.

> Weirdly, it turns out that there is a fairly professional website
> offering tools that generate activation codes for Windows and
> Office. Where is the development of these tools hosted? Why, that
> Microsoft property GitHub!
>
> My experience, from a Core i3/6GB laptop that I expected would be
> quite beefy compared with my stable of Core 2 Duo and earlier models,
> is that even Tiny11 2311 was like wading through treacle compared
> with MX Linux 23: maybe the x64 Linux is slower. Even the boot was
> sh**: at least a minute of static Windows splash icon before a
> whirling cursor appeared.
>
> /df

Thanks.
--
Daniel

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<usenkk$1ke98$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1602&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1602

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 03:00:50 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:00 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 3/7/24 4:47 PM:
> On 07/03/2024 18:17, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Daniel65 wrote on 3/7/24 2:34 AM:
>>> I've just brought myself a new 'puter ....
>>>
>>> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/hp-24-cr0002a-24-all-in-one-n100-8gb-256gb-hpcr0002a
>>>
>>> So, I intend to spend this weekend (hopefully not too much of it!)
>>> reducing the Win11 area on the SSD, and installing MageisLinux 9 ....
>>> and disabling MSIE or whatever Browser/Mail/News system is installed.
>>> If I disable MSIE will I also lose MS Office??
> Staying slightly on topic here, you might like to investigate the
> lock-down masterwork Tiny11, a <4GB W11 installation with almost all the
> useless features of W11 removed (but generally installable if really
> wanted). The creator has an excellent blog post explaining why various
> features should be rejected or retained (goodbye weekend). There is a
> system Edge WebView component that is recommended to be retained while
> the main system browser could be FF or some Chromium derivative. In
> Tiny11 you have to install your own browser. No doubt this is true for
> email too.
>
> Weirdly, it turns out that there is a fairly professional website
> offering tools that generate activation codes for Windows and Office.
> Where is the development of these tools hosted? Why, that Microsoft
> property GitHub!
>
> My experience, from a Core i3/6GB laptop that I expected would be quite
> beefy compared with my stable of Core 2 Duo and earlier models, is that
> even Tiny11 2311 was like wading through treacle compared with MX Linux
> 23: maybe the x64 Linux is slower. Even the boot was sh**: at least a
> minute of static Windows splash icon before a whirling cursor appeared.
>
> /df

Hi, Dirk.
Thanks for adding more useful and beneficial information.
There, also another consideration which may come in handy for some
default browsers that might need access to local stores or hardware
configuration settings.

Some url based settings for older printers which won't be updated(driver
or firmware) for current security restrictions.
- Edge still retains MSIE mode which provides the ability to add a local
router assigned unique/static ip address as an exception in Edge to use
MSIE mode allowing one to have the option to bypass the browser built in
security constraint and access the device configuration options.
=> Note: Some browses like SeaMonkey, and Firefox may provide the same
access, when other like Chrome may not.
i.e. just an option to consider when 'wiping' Edge, and maybe more if the
chosen non-Edge default browser doesn't work.
- it's almost like a catch-22 - not knowing something is needed until
trying to do it fails or the parameters are changed.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<l5k2ajFjq4aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1604&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1604

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:01:37 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:01 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:
> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>
>> Staying slightly on topic here, you might like to investigate the
>> lock-down masterwork Tiny11, a <4GB W11 installation with almost all
>> the useless features of W11 removed (but generally installable if
>> really wanted). The creator has an excellent blog post explaining why
>> various features should be rejected or retained (goodbye weekend).
>
> So is this something like Win95Lite (or was it Win98Lite) that I used on
> my Desktop way back when??
>
> Might be worthwhile my giving Tiny11 a go .... AFTER I take a back up of
> the Entire Win11 System.

I'm not familiar w/ Tiny11, but I am w/ those old 9x lites you mention,
as well as some other Tiny/s up to Tiny7 and the ones I know I liked. I
suspect that Tiny11 would be nice for its intended purposes.

Here's an article:
https://www.minitool.com/news/tiny11-download-iso.html

--
Mike Easter

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<l5k2r8Fjso5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1605&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1605

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:10:31 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:10 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> I suspect that Tiny11 would be nice for its intended purposes

I like to boot live linux distro/s as the .iso from a Ventoy stick. I'm
reading that Tiny11 .iso boots live and works just fine that way. Easy
way to try it out if one is into Ventoy; otherwise apparently any of the
popular writers of live .iso/s to USB will apparently also work. Good
way to check it out w/o bothering to install.

I like that Tiny11 works w/ less resources, 4G ram and older hardware
than W11 will accept.

--
Mike Easter

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<urOdncZHNouSI2r4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1608&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1608

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 04:07:42 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 04:07 UTC

On 15/03/2024 23:10, Mike Easter wrote:
> I like that Tiny11 works w/ less resources, 4G ram and older hardware
> than W11 will accept.

Nonetheless, for whatever reason, I find that even cut-down Windows
10/11 (even PXE) are gruesomely slow compared with Linux. I guess it
takes paid labour to achieve that.

According to the author, you can re-bloat Tiny11 pretty much as you like
by installing the "missing" components: it actually is W11.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: How to 'Protect' myself??

<ut8uf1$33r8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1609&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1609

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:36:48 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 08:36 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 18/3/24 3:07 pm:
> On 15/03/2024 23:10, Mike Easter wrote:
>> I like that Tiny11 works w/ less resources, 4G ram and older hardware
>> than W11 will accept.
>
> Nonetheless, for whatever reason, I find that even cut-down Windows
> 10/11 (even PXE) are gruesomely slow compared with Linux. I guess it
> takes paid labour to achieve that.
>
> According to the author, you can re-bloat Tiny11 pretty much as you like
> by installing the "missing" components: it actually is W11.
>
> /df

Hmmm!! If you can 're-bloat' Tiny11, might that imply the next time you
downloaded the Win!! updates ..... Wooooph!! You're back to full Win-11??
--
Daniel