"Never face facts; if you do, you'll never get up in the morning." -- Marlo Thomas

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / What caused M-ID to not work??

SubjectAuthor
* What caused M-ID to not work??Daniel65
+- Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Mark Bourne
+* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Richmond
|`* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??David E. Ross
| `* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Nuno Silva
|  `- Re: What caused M-ID to not work??R Daneel Olivaw
+* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Adam H. Kerman
|`* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Dirk Fieldhouse
| `- Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Barryedwin1
`* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Mike Easter
 `* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Daniel65
  +- Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Mike Easter
  `* Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Mike Easter
   `- Re: What caused M-ID to not work??Daniel65

1
What caused M-ID to not work??

<ureu2m$1ofah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1585&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1585

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: What caused M-ID to not work??
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:34:30 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:34 UTC

Reasonably regularly, I see Message-ID's quoted in posts referring to
some other Message, but, in SeaMonkey (and, I think, Mozilla and, maybe
even, Netscape Suite before hand), when I click on a Message-ID (such as
the one posted by Dirk in the 'Problem with text color ...' thread), all
I get is a new e-mail screen with the M-ID as the To: address because
the format of a M-ID is the same as an e-mail address, i.e.
verylongnumbers&letters@somewhere.com.

Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
will the situation ever be corrected??
--
Daniel

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<urfbmh$1rhjj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1586&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1586

From: nntp.mbourne@spamgourmet.com (Mark Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: What caused M-ID to not work??
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 12:26:51 +0000
 by: Mark Bourne - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 12:26 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:
> Reasonably regularly, I see Message-ID's quoted in posts referring to
> some other Message, but, in SeaMonkey (and, I think, Mozilla and, maybe
> even, Netscape Suite before hand), when I click on a Message-ID (such as
> the one posted by Dirk in the 'Problem with text color ...' thread), all
> I get is a new e-mail screen with the M-ID as the To: address because
> the format of a M-ID is the same as an e-mail address, i.e.
> verylongnumbers&letters@somewhere.com.
>
> Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
> will the situation ever be corrected??

What makes you think it ever did work? Since, as you say, the format of
a typical Message-ID is the same as an email address, how do you expect
SeaMonkey to tell which it is, in order to handle them differently?

<http://al.howardknight.net/> is a useful place for looking up a message
given the Message-ID, if it's not obvious from other context.

--
Mark.

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<865xycfwsw.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1587&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1587

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:22:39 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:22 UTC

Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> Reasonably regularly, I see Message-ID's quoted in posts referring to
> some other Message, but, in SeaMonkey (and, I think, Mozilla and,
> maybe even, Netscape Suite before hand), when I click on a Message-ID
> (such as the one posted by Dirk in the 'Problem with text color ...'
> thread), all I get is a new e-mail screen with the M-ID as the To:
> address because the format of a M-ID is the same as an e-mail address,
> i.e. verylongnumbers&letters@somewhere.com.
>
> Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
> will the situation ever be corrected??

There should be something on the context menu perhaps, right-click goto
message. I couldn't find anything in the help text or on any menu to go
to a message-id.

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<urftss$1vk7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1588&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1588

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:37:32 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:37 UTC

On 2/25/2024 6:22 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> writes:
>
>> Reasonably regularly, I see Message-ID's quoted in posts referring to
>> some other Message, but, in SeaMonkey (and, I think, Mozilla and,
>> maybe even, Netscape Suite before hand), when I click on a Message-ID
>> (such as the one posted by Dirk in the 'Problem with text color ...'
>> thread), all I get is a new e-mail screen with the M-ID as the To:
>> address because the format of a M-ID is the same as an e-mail address,
>> i.e. verylongnumbers&letters@somewhere.com.
>>
>> Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
>> will the situation ever be corrected??
>
> There should be something on the context menu perhaps, right-click goto
> message. I couldn't find anything in the help text or on any menu to go
> to a message-id.

In my older Thunderbird 52.9.1, I place my cursor over the message ID
(labeled as "References"), right click, and select Open Message For ID.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

Paris mayor quits X platform, calling it a 'gigantic global sewer'.
Others characterize X (previously known as Twitter) as the place
where truth goes to die.

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<urfum5$1vno3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1589&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1589

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:51:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:51 UTC

Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Reasonably regularly, I see Message-ID's quoted in posts referring to
>some other Message, but, in SeaMonkey (and, I think, Mozilla and, maybe
>even, Netscape Suite before hand), when I click on a Message-ID (such as
>the one posted by Dirk in the 'Problem with text color ...' thread), all
>I get is a new e-mail screen with the M-ID as the To: address because
>the format of a M-ID is the same as an e-mail address, i.e.
>verylongnumbers&letters@somewhere.com.

>Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
>will the situation ever be corrected??

Can I just point out that parsing mechanisms are highly imperfect given
their inability to understand context?

Unless you tell it what it is, how does it know? Sure, the string is a
Message-ID if it appears on the Message-ID header or the References
header. How could it be a interpreted as a Message-ID if it's in the
body of the article?

Using "left-hand side" "@" "right-hand side" notation is quite common.
For instance, it's used in ssh syntax. If you see it, do you truly want
it parsed assuming it's a Message-ID when it could be something else
entirely?

Context is required here. The parsing mechanism will fail to recognize
context.

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<Bx-dnRHfOtYmFEb4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1590&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1590

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:40:57 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:40 UTC

On 25/02/2024 17:51, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>...>
> Can I just point out that parsing mechanisms are highly imperfect given
> their inability to understand context?

> Context is required here. The parsing mechanism will fail to recognize
> context.

One place where context is clear is Search. In Advanced Search, add
Message-ID to the available headers. Then you can search your local
newsgroup article cache to find a message by Message-ID. Some news
servers may allow a remote search (?) but mine says "chaining not allowed".

/df

--
London
UK

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<urgfug$24e0b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1591&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1591

From: barryedwingilmour@gmail.com (Barryedwin1)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 06:45:34 +0800
 by: Barryedwin1 - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 22:45 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 26/2/24 2:40 am:
> On 25/02/2024 17:51, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> ...>
>> Can I just point out that parsing mechanisms are highly imperfect given
>> their inability to understand context?

>> Context is required here. The parsing mechanism will fail to recognize
>> context.
>>

> One place where context is clear is Search. In Advanced Search, add
> Message-ID to the available headers. Then you can search your local
> newsgroup article cache to find a message by Message-ID. Some news
> servers may allow a remote search (?) but mine says "chaining not allowed".
>
> /df

And remember to remove the '< >' in the search term or the search fails!
HTH Barry.

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<urhm1g$2fa2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1592&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1592

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:39:12 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:39 UTC

On 2024-02-25, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 2/25/2024 6:22 AM, Richmond wrote:
>> Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> writes:
>>
>>> Reasonably regularly, I see Message-ID's quoted in posts referring to
>>> some other Message, but, in SeaMonkey (and, I think, Mozilla and,
>>> maybe even, Netscape Suite before hand), when I click on a Message-ID
>>> (such as the one posted by Dirk in the 'Problem with text color ...'
>>> thread), all I get is a new e-mail screen with the M-ID as the To:
>>> address because the format of a M-ID is the same as an e-mail address,
>>> i.e. verylongnumbers&letters@somewhere.com.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
>>> will the situation ever be corrected??
>>
>> There should be something on the context menu perhaps, right-click goto
>> message. I couldn't find anything in the help text or on any menu to go
>> to a message-id.
>>

> In my older Thunderbird 52.9.1, I place my cursor over the message ID
> (labeled as "References"), right click, and select Open Message For ID.

At least in the SeaMonkey versions I tested so far where I can see the
References header, that works for Message-IDs in that header.

For strings that are Message-IDs in the message body, I don't see a
context menu entry for that; SeaMonkey 1.0.4 handles these IDs similarly
- also opens a compose window with that ID as the destination address.

So far, the only configuration in which I saw such an option for
Message-IDs in the message/post body was with Mnenhy (SeaMonkey 2.0.14 +
Mnenhy 0.8.4), which adds such an option in a submenu of the context
menu.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<l4k3raFlnkcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1593&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1593

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 12:11:21 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 20:11 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:
> Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
> will the situation ever be corrected??

This is a complicated subject.

A proper news client should be able to fetch a message from the/a news
server by using the m-id, because there is a normal nntp command to
fetch an article that way or by the news server's article number.

Even the feeble Outlook Express could do that m-id biz by employing its
'hook' w/ IE. There was a time when some Moz ware could do it w/ an add-on.

The ability of SM or Tb to fetch a 'thread' msg from the Ref line is
very limited and inadequate. I use HK's m-id tool.

--
Mike Easter

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<us3rif$19ehb$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1594&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1594

From: Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov (R Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 08:00:31 +0100
 by: R Daneel Olivaw - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 07:00 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2024-02-25, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> There should be something on the context menu perhaps, right-click goto
>>> message. I couldn't find anything in the help text or on any menu to go
>>> to a message-id.
>>>

>> In my older Thunderbird 52.9.1, I place my cursor over the message ID
>> (labeled as "References"), right click, and select Open Message For ID.
>
> At least in the SeaMonkey versions I tested so far where I can see the
> References header, that works for Message-IDs in that header.
>
> For strings that are Message-IDs in the message body, I don't see a
> context menu entry for that; SeaMonkey 1.0.4 handles these IDs similarly
> - also opens a compose window with that ID as the destination address.
>
> So far, the only configuration in which I saw such an option for
> Message-IDs in the message/post body was with Mnenhy (SeaMonkey 2.0.14 +
> Mnenhy 0.8.4), which adds such an option in a submenu of the context
> menu.

That actually works for me "Open Browser With Message-ID" but it then
wants me to log into Google (with your <urhm1g$2fa2f$1@dont-email.me> as
the M-ID), is there any rational reason for that behaviour?
My search engine is set to DuckDuckGo if that is relevant.

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<us42vh$32ggf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1595&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1595

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:06:57 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 09:06 UTC

Mike Easter wrote on 4/3/24 7:11 am:
> Daniel65 wrote:
>> Does anyone know what originally broke the handling of M-ID's .... and
>> will the situation ever be corrected??
>
> This is a complicated subject.
>
> A proper news client should be able to fetch a message from the/a news
> server by using the m-id, because there is a normal nntp command to
> fetch an article that way or by the news server's article number.
>
> Even the feeble Outlook Express could do that m-id biz by employing its
> 'hook' w/ IE.  There was a time when some Moz ware could do it w/ an
> add-on.
>
> The ability of SM or Tb to fetch a 'thread' msg from the Ref line is
> very limited and inadequate.  I use HK's m-id tool.

O.K., So SM and TB can't. .... but did Moz Suite and/or Netscape
Communicator EVER do it for news items???
--
Daniel

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<l5k1t6Fjnm7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1603&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1603

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:54:29 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 22:54 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:
> O.K., So SM and TB can't. .... but did Moz Suite and/or Netscape
> Communicator EVER do it for news items???

Once upon a time during the progression of dev/s going to trouble to
create wonderful add-ons and extensions for Tb, there WAS an extension
for Tb which would do it; but of course Moz LUVS to destroy the
functionality of such add-ons as fast as the dev/s can create them,
leading to great losses of wonderful tools. I loved Enigmail for Tb
before it was supplanted by an inferior function.

I don't know much about SeaMonkey; I just read here; I don't use it
except rarely in those linux distro/s which prefer it to Tb.

--
Mike Easter

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<l5k3epFk0ekU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1606&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1606

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:20:55 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:20 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:
> O.K., So SM and TB can't. .... but did Moz Suite and/or Netscape
> Communicator EVER do it for news items???

The command to fetch an article from a/your news server by MID is so
'simple' you could write a command to paste an MID into very easily,
even if you aren't a programmer or script writer or command maven or
'.bat' writer at all.

But, personally, I just use the online tool. It seems just as
convenient to me as pasting the mid into a command.

I see you are linux; you could make an alias for an mid command for the
fun of it:

https://www.tecmint.com/create-alias-in-linux/

--
Mike Easter

Re: What caused M-ID to not work??

<ut3m49$2qe1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1607&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1607

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 19:43:52 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 08:43 UTC

Mike Easter wrote on 16/3/24 10:20 am:
> Daniel65 wrote:
>> O.K., So SM and TB can't. .... but did Moz Suite and/or Netscape
>> Communicator EVER do it for news items???
>
> The command to fetch an article from a/your news server by MID is so
> 'simple' you could write a command to paste an MID into very easily,
> even if you aren't a programmer or script writer or command maven or
> '.bat' writer at all.
>
> But, personally, I just use the online tool.  It seems just as
> convenient to me as pasting the mid into a command.
>
> I see you are linux; you could make an alias for an mid command for the
> fun of it:

Ah!! Mike, I think you might widely over-estimate my abilities. Short
Bat files back in DOS4, 5 or 6, maybe. Some TurboPascal. That's about my
limit! ;-(

> https://www.tecmint.com/create-alias-in-linux/
>> How to Create and Use Alias Command in Linux

When I get desperate, maybe, Mike ;-)
--
Daniel