From: SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gopher
Subject: Re: What is the advantage of gopher?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 21:35:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: SPAMian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk - Wed, 17 May 2023 21:35 UTC

Hi,

Advantages compared to www?

The advantage over the web, if you like blogging (phloging), is that you
don't have to worry about layout, no inline images, css or html to worry
about. You just create plain old text documents, and gopher menus if you
want to create links to other documents or be creative and make some
kind of application.

It's fast and easy to use, you write files or put them in the directory
tree somewhere and you can then download or view them, depending on your
gopher client and .mailcap configuration.

You can pretty easily set up a gopher server, if you have some linux or
unix hosting, by installing geomyidae or gophernicus. Both seem to be
widely available.

If you want to see some of what you can do with it, then grab yourself a
gopher client (gopher?) or text web client that supports gopher (w3m or
lynx) and head on over to my gopherhole: gopher://gopher.icu

Give it a go and see how you get on.

Best regards,

IanJ