LOAD "LINUX",8,1 -- Topic on #LinuxGER

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Upgrading on oldster?

SubjectAuthor
* Upgrading on oldster?Extra
+* Upgrading on oldster?Big Al
|+* Upgrading on oldster?Extra
||`* Upgrading on oldster?Big Al
|| `- Upgrading on oldster?Jörg_Lorenz
|`- Upgrading on oldster?Adam H. Kerman
+- Upgrading on oldster?Adam H. Kerman
+- Upgrading on oldster?Sailfish
`- Upgrading on oldster?Alex Plantema

1
Upgrading on oldster?

<yKKdnbF6cexDo8f4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1579&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1579

Subject: Upgrading on oldster?
From: not@this.point.com (Extra)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 11:59:10 -0500
 by: Extra - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:59 UTC

So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
no longer does the things I need it to do.

I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
core 3g proc. 16G RAM

I have a gazillion bookmarks.

I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the
'Restore Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.

If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:

Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will
it do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
some danged thing?
Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
finally decide to build a new box over the winter?

Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do
a back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and
then forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This
may not make sense to some, but it is very important to me.

thanks for any input.

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujdfgj$3sqtm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1580&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1580

From: BigAl@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Upgrading on oldster?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:09:40 -0500
 by: Big Al - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:09 UTC

On 11/19/23 11:59, Extra wrote:
> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
> no longer does the things I need it to do.
>
> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
> core 3g proc. 16G RAM
>
> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>
> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore
> Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>

> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>

> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will it
> do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
> some danged thing?
> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
> finally decide to build a new box over the winter?
>

> Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
> tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do a
> back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and then
> forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This may not
> make sense to some, but it is very important to me.
>

> thanks for any input.
The bookmarks are easy. There are two files, places.sqlite and
favicons.sqlite. The latter just contains the little icons as the name
suggests. Make a backup of them.

Of course make a backup of the entire "appdata/roaming/mozilla
thunderbird" folder.

Not sure where the restore stuff is stored, and I'm sure there is a file
in there.

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<iYGcneazsIPI38f4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1581&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1581

From: not@this.point.com (Extra)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:13:56 -0500
 by: Extra - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:13 UTC

Big Al wrote on 11/19/2023 :
> On 11/19/23 11:59, Extra wrote:
>> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it no
>> longer does the things I need it to do.
>>
>> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad core
>> 3g proc. 16G RAM
>>
>> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>>
>> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore
>> Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>>

>> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>>

>> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will it do
>> bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or some
>> danged thing?
>> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do finally
>> decide to build a new box over the winter?
>>

>> Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the tabs
>> I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do a
>> back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and then
>> forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This may not
>> make sense to some, but it is very important to me.
>>

>> thanks for any input.
> The bookmarks are easy. There are two files, places.sqlite and
> favicons.sqlite. The latter just contains the little icons as the name
> suggests. Make a backup of them.
>
> Of course make a backup of the entire "appdata/roaming/mozilla thunderbird"
> folder.
>
> Not sure where the restore stuff is stored, and I'm sure there is a file in
> there.

And these files will be transferable to the new version? I thought I
saw some time ago about an update that did not accept those files??
And... what about if I move to a new more modern box?

tx

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujdglu$3t1vv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1582&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1582

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:29:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:29 UTC

Extra <not@this.point.com> wrote:

>So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
>no longer does the things I need it to do.

>I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
>core 3g proc. 16G RAM

>I have a gazillion bookmarks.

>I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the
>'Restore Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.

>If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:

>Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will
>it do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
>some danged thing?
>Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
>finally decide to build a new box over the winter?

I'm on the ESR on my Windows 8.1 box. It didn't affect my bookmarks in
any way.

>Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the
>tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade? (some of these tabs I do
>a back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and
>then forward again to where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This
>may not make sense to some, but it is very important to me.

Sometimes I can be offered about:sessionrestore after a crash. Other
times I can use History > Restore Last Session. Neither is a reliable
method of recreating the last session. Invariably, it remembers the tabs
I discarded and won't remember the tabs and windows I was working in
because Firefox hadn't taken a snapshot yet.

I understand what you are hoping for but if you have unsaved work or if
you want to see Web pages previously viewed in a particular tab, you are
going to be missing a lot of data.

Best thing to do is save all your work and bookmark any pages you intend to
return to. Sorry, but there's really no way around it.

I would close Firefox first, ending the application with Ctrl-Shft-Q
(Ctrl-Q on Linux), then start a fresh session with a blank tab only.
From that, I would perform the upgrade to the recent ESR.

I recommend against doing the upgrade with important work in process in
tabs and windows in the browser session.

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujdhfd$3t5hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1584&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1584

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:43:09 -0500
 by: Big Al - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 17:43 UTC

On 11/19/23 12:13 PM, this is what Extra wrote:
> Big Al wrote on 11/19/2023 :
>> On 11/19/23 11:59, Extra wrote:
>>> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it no longer does the things I need it to do.
>>>
>>> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad core 3g proc. 16G RAM
>>>
>>> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>>>
>>> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>>>

>>> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>>>

>>> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will it do bad things to them like decide I should
>>> have alphabetized them or some danged thing?
>>> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do finally decide to build a new box over the winter?
>>>

>>> Will I be able to do a 'Restore Last Session' that will bring back the tabs I had open before telling it to upgrade?
>>> (some of these tabs I do a back/forward button to check for changes that go back 10 pages and then forward again to
>>> where I like to let it idle, so to speak). This may not make sense to some, but it is very important to me.
>>>

>>> thanks for any input.
>> The bookmarks are easy.  There are two files, places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite.  The latter just contains the little
>> icons as the name suggests.   Make a backup of them.
>>
>> Of course make a backup of the entire "appdata/roaming/mozilla thunderbird" folder.
>>
>> Not sure where the restore stuff is stored, and I'm sure there is a file in there.
>

> And these files will be transferable to the new version? I thought I saw some time ago about an update that did not
> accept those files?? And... what about if I move to a new more modern box?
>
> tx
I'm moved from 72 to 115 and haven't lost bookmarks.
You could turn on firefox sync. That would put the bookmarks on the cloud and any firefox you have anywhere, android,
Linux, windows or Mac, will sync and have the same bookmarks. I wouldn't be without it.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujdifi$3tbrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1585&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1585

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 18:00:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 18:00 UTC

Big Al <BigAl@invalid.com> wrote:

>. . .

>Not sure where the restore stuff is stored, and I'm sure there is a file
>in there.

Find it from about:support. Follow these instructions for copying and
renaming files in that directory. You may be able to restore a previous
session or find some of the tabs that were important to you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-restore-browsing-session-backup

That page also recommends Tab Session Manager extension to better manage
the state of windows and tabs versus relying on about:sessionrestore or
History > Restore Previous Session.

This may do what the O.P. wants. I haven't played with it yet.

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujdqem$3uaea$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1588&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1588

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 21:16:22 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 20:16 UTC

Am 19.11.23 um 18:43 schrieb Big Al:
> On 11/19/23 12:13 PM, this is what Extra wrote:
>> And these files will be transferable to the new version? I thought I saw some time ago about an update that did not
>> accept those files?? And... what about if I move to a new more modern box?
>>
>> tx
> I'm moved from 72 to 115 and haven't lost bookmarks.
> You could turn on firefox sync. That would put the bookmarks on the cloud and any firefox you have anywhere, android,
> Linux, windows or Mac, will sync and have the same bookmarks. I wouldn't be without it.

Same here. I can only support this recommendation.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujfj0d$abl7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1590&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1590

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:21:35 -0800
 by: Sailfish - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:21 UTC

Extra graced us with on 11/19/2023 8:59 AM:
> So, I tend to follow the idiom that something is only obsolete when it
> no longer does the things I need it to do.
>
> I am running FF 72.0.2 on an always-on Win7 box. AMD AthlonII 640 quad
> core 3g proc. 16G RAM
>
> I have a gazillion bookmarks.
>
> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore
> Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.
>

> If I updgrade to the final ESR for this box, will I:
>

> Lose or scramble my bookmarks and peculiar trees I keep them in? Will it
> do bad things to them like decide I should have alphabetized them or
> some danged thing?
> Will it make a bookmark file that is more or less portable if I do
> finally decide to build a new box over the winter?

The tree structure remained the same for me but they removed the
Properties Description box (and any and all data contain in them.) I've
still not recovered from Mozilla's negligent data loss regression of
that bit of tampering.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Upgrading on oldster?

<ujg64m$df9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1591&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1591

From: alex@nl.invalid (Alex Plantema)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:48:05 +0100
 by: Alex Plantema - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:48 UTC

Op zo 19-11-2023 om 17:59 schreef Extra:

> I also have a few tabs that I keep open at all times, doing the 'Restore Last Session' bit any time I have to restart.

If you forget it once, you lose your tabs.
Use the setting to reopen previous windows and tabs on restart.

--
Alex.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Upgrading on oldster?