<lilo> I've always wanted to have a web site with a big picture of a carrot on it

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

SubjectAuthor
* New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeultr...@gmail.com
+- Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeJan-Erik Söderholm
`* Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeSimon Clubley
 +* Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeBill Gunshannon
 |+- Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeSimon Clubley
 |`* Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeArne Vajhøj
 | `* Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeSimon Clubley
 |  +- Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeArne Vajhøj
 |  +- Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeJan-Erik Söderholm
 |  `- Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeJohn Dallman
 `- Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not timeultr...@gmail.com

1
New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<169a3761-2401-4bc6-9c7b-dd2911279297n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15546&group=comp.os.vms#15546

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 04:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time
From: ultradwc@gmail.com (ultr...@gmail.com)
 by: ultr...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 11:48 UTC

you will never grow OpenVMS on that basis

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<sasjkh$mlr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15547&group=comp.os.vms#15547

From: jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:04:32 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:04 UTC

Den 2021-06-22 kl. 13:48, skrev ultr...@gmail.com:

> you will never grow OpenVMS on that basis

What does "that" refer to? The subject of the post?

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<sasjnd$elb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15548&group=comp.os.vms#15548

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:06:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:06 UTC

On 2021-06-22, ultr...@gmail.com <ultradwc@gmail.com> wrote:
> you will never grow OpenVMS on that basis

You've only just found out about this _now_ Bob ? :-)

Everyone else has been getting seriously wound up about this since
the middle of last year.

You shouldn't worry about growing VMS with this new licencing scheme
however as the new licencing scheme is a _really_ efficient way to
kill VMS IMHO given the alternatives which are available these days.

Simon.

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<ije308Fqls3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15549&group=comp.os.vms#15549

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 08:22:31 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:22 UTC

On 6/22/21 8:06 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-06-22, ultr...@gmail.com <ultradwc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> you will never grow OpenVMS on that basis
>
> You've only just found out about this _now_ Bob ? :-)
>
> Everyone else has been getting seriously wound up about this since
> the middle of last year.
>
> You shouldn't worry about growing VMS with this new licencing scheme
> however as the new licencing scheme is a _really_ efficient way to
> kill VMS IMHO given the alternatives which are available these days.

VMS isn't going to grow. It has become a cash cow and the new
pricing fits that model just fine. The only interest is in trying
to maintain those users who are still locked into VMS. The bean
counters will see that the number continues to slide.

bill

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<sasn3e$6ps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15550&group=comp.os.vms#15550

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:03:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:03 UTC

On 2021-06-22, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:

> VMS isn't going to grow. It has become a cash cow and the new
> pricing fits that model just fine. The only interest is in trying
> to maintain those users who are still locked into VMS. The bean
> counters will see that the number continues to slide.

Trying to maintain the existing user base by switching to a licence
that will suddenly stop working sometime after VSI goes bust is a
rather poor way to do that IMHO given the alternatives available
to those customers (and given the fact that porting toolkits exist
to move from VMS to Linux).

VSI also offers to help with porting from VMS to Linux/Unix/Windows BTW
(along with other stay-on-VMS targets):

https://vmssoftware.com/services/migration-services/

Simon.

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<sasp4b$o8m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15551&group=comp.os.vms#15551

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:38:17 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:38 UTC

On 6/22/2021 8:22 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> VMS isn't going to grow.  It has become a cash cow and the new
> pricing fits that model just fine. The only interest is in trying
> to maintain those users who are still locked into VMS.  The bean
> counters will see that the number continues to slide.

I do believe VSI would like to see VMS grow.

But it is a challenging task.

First they need to get VMS x86-64 done and rolled out.

Then they need to upgrade a bunch of things to make VMS
a more attractive platform.

And first then it is realistic to try and grow VMS.

Arne

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<sat6be$ih5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15553&group=comp.os.vms#15553

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:23:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:23 UTC

On 2021-06-22, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:

> I do believe VSI would like to see VMS grow.
>
> But it is a challenging task.
>
> First they need to get VMS x86-64 done and rolled out.
>
> Then they need to upgrade a bunch of things to make VMS
> a more attractive platform.
>
> And first then it is realistic to try and grow VMS.

But as I mentioned in another message, VSI are actively offering
on their website to help customers move from VMS to Linux/Unix/Windows.

That's extremely mixed messaging (to put it mildly) given that they
are also the company porting VMS to x86-64.

That's like Microsoft offering to help you move to Linux. Can you
imagine what the reaction would be like if Microsoft actually did that ?

Simon.

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<sat7gd$1n8b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15554&group=comp.os.vms#15554

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:43:41 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:43 UTC

On 6/22/2021 1:23 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-06-22, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>>
>> I do believe VSI would like to see VMS grow.
>>
>> But it is a challenging task.
>>
>> First they need to get VMS x86-64 done and rolled out.
>>
>> Then they need to upgrade a bunch of things to make VMS
>> a more attractive platform.
>>
>> And first then it is realistic to try and grow VMS.
>
> But as I mentioned in another message, VSI are actively offering
> on their website to help customers move from VMS to Linux/Unix/Windows.
>
> That's extremely mixed messaging (to put it mildly) given that they
> are also the company porting VMS to x86-64.
>
> That's like Microsoft offering to help you move to Linux. Can you
> imagine what the reaction would be like if Microsoft actually did that ?

MS actually does offer lots of stuff for migrating to Linux.

But typical it does involved some MS software.

Arne

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<satbq8$mlr$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15557&group=comp.os.vms#15557

From: jan-erik.soderholm@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:57:12 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:57 UTC

Den 2021-06-22 kl. 19:23, skrev Simon Clubley:
> On 2021-06-22, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>>
>> I do believe VSI would like to see VMS grow.
>>
>> But it is a challenging task.
>>
>> First they need to get VMS x86-64 done and rolled out.
>>
>> Then they need to upgrade a bunch of things to make VMS
>> a more attractive platform.
>>
>> And first then it is realistic to try and grow VMS.
>>

> But as I mentioned in another message, VSI are actively offering
> on their website to help customers move from VMS to Linux/Unix/Windows.

Actively and actively... They can help if someone asks.

> That's extremely mixed messaging (to put it mildly) given that they
> are also the company porting VMS to x86-64.

Now, *if* someone wants help to port of VMS, why shouldn't VSI get
the money for that? They are probably very well suited to help.
Doesn't bother me...

> That's like Microsoft offering to help you move to Linux. Can you
> imagine what the reaction would be like if Microsoft actually did that ?
>
> Simon.

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<memo.20210622211810.12384N@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15558&group=comp.os.vms#15558

From: jgd@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:18 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:18 UTC

In article <sat6be$ih5$1@dont-email.me>,
clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley) wrote:

> But as I mentioned in another message, VSI are actively offering
> on their website to help customers move from VMS to
> Linux/Unix/Windows.

Some VMS users will have compelling reasons to move, and VSI might as
well get some money from them.

> That's like Microsoft offering to help you move to Linux. Can you
> imagine what the reaction would be like if Microsoft actually did
> that ?

Another part is reassurance. If Joe Customer will have to re-architect
his systems to move off VMS, he knows that will be expensive. If he feels
he might get trapped on VMS, he's going to be keen to escape that trap
before it closes. But if VMS has a future, /and/ he can get help if
something external forces him to move, then he doesn't feel trapped and
can look at x86 VMS on its merits.

John

Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time

<b24e0810-d0cb-4ef2-b647-67614ac26467n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15562&group=comp.os.vms#15562

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: ultradwc@gmail.com (ultr...@gmail.com)
 by: ultr...@gmail.com - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 01:51 UTC

On Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 8:06:07 AM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2021-06-22, ultr...@gmail.com <ultr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > you will never grow OpenVMS on that basis
> You've only just found out about this _now_ Bob ? :-)
>
> Everyone else has been getting seriously wound up about this since
> the middle of last year.
>
> You shouldn't worry about growing VMS with this new licencing scheme
> however as the new licencing scheme is a _really_ efficient way to
> kill VMS IMHO given the alternatives which are available these days.
>
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Clubley, clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> Walking destinations on a map are further away than they appear.

no just stating the obvious

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: New OpenVMS licenses should be based on life of box, not time