System going down at 1:45 this afternoon for disk crashing.

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Some machines obsolete

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Some machines obsoleteMatthias Maisenbacher
+* Re: Some machines obsoleteSimon Clubley
|`- Re: Some machines obsoletePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
`* Re: Some machines obsoletePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
 `* Re: Some machines obsoleteBill Gunshannon
  `* Re: Some machines obsoletePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
   `* Re: Some machines obsoleteBill Gunshannon
    `* Re: Some machines obsoletePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
     `- Re: Some machines obsoleteBill Gunshannon

1
Re: Some machines obsolete

<slrnscp5mi.6v9.matthias.maisenbacher@obelix3.home>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15525&group=comp.os.vms#15525

From: matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de (Matthias Maisenbacher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Some machines obsolete
Date: 18 Jun 2021 12:51:30 GMT
 by: Matthias Maisenbache - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 12:51 UTC

Matthias Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> schrieb:
> So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
And now finally the transfer has happened.
In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
(Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).

Happy (VMS) computing!

Matthias

Re: Some machines obsolete

<saik9l$1iq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15526&group=comp.os.vms#15526

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 17:14:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 17:14 UTC

On 2021-06-18, Matthias Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> wrote:
> Matthias Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> schrieb:
>> So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
> And now finally the transfer has happened.
> In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
> It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
> (Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).

$ set response/mode=good_natured

I wonder how Phillip found space for yet another 14 machines and
I wonder what his other half (IIRC, he is married) thinks about that... :-)

Simon.

Re: Some machines obsolete

<saiubr$1041$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15527&group=comp.os.vms#15527

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:06:19 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:06 UTC

In article <slrnscp5mi.6v9.matthias.maisenbacher@obelix3.home>, Matthias
Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> writes:

> Matthias Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> schrieb:
> > So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
> And now finally the transfer has happened.
> In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
> It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
> (Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).

Yes. Two of you (you know who you are) contacted me a few weeks ago
with specific requests. We can discuss the details by email. In the
next 4 weeks I plan not only to test out the new stuff but also to take
inventory of the stuff I already have. Although I will keep some stuff
I don't use for nostalgic reasons, some things I might want to pass on
to a good home, especially VAX-related stuff. Contact me by email if
you're interested in collecting something. I live near Frankfurt am
Main in Germany.

I travel by car from time to time within Europe, so perhaps I can bring
you something.

Re: Some machines obsolete

<saiufn$1041$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15528&group=comp.os.vms#15528

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:08:26 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:08 UTC

In article <saik9l$1iq$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> >> So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
> > And now finally the transfer has happened.
> > In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
> > It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
> > (Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).
>
> $ set response/mode=good_natured
>
> I wonder how Phillip found space for yet another 14 machines and

One of the reasons we moved to a bigger house 12 years ago.

> I wonder what his other half (IIRC, he is married) thinks about that... :-)

No problem. :-)

Re: Some machines obsolete

<ij4raiF33egU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15530&group=comp.os.vms#15530

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 20:16:18 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 00:16 UTC

On 6/18/21 4:06 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <slrnscp5mi.6v9.matthias.maisenbacher@obelix3.home>, Matthias
> Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Matthias Maisenbacher <matthias.maisenbacher@gmx.de> schrieb:
>>> So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
>> And now finally the transfer has happened.
>> In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
>> It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
>> (Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).
>
> Yes. Two of you (you know who you are) contacted me a few weeks ago
> with specific requests. We can discuss the details by email. In the
> next 4 weeks I plan not only to test out the new stuff but also to take
> inventory of the stuff I already have. Although I will keep some stuff
> I don't use for nostalgic reasons, some things I might want to pass on
> to a good home, especially VAX-related stuff. Contact me by email if
> you're interested in collecting something. I live near Frankfurt am
> Main in Germany.

Not meaning top pry, just curious as I have lived over there and
made many a trip to Frankfurt but whereabouts. Still have friends
in the area.

bill

Re: Some machines obsolete

<sake21$1epi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15532&group=comp.os.vms#15532

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 09:40:17 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 09:40 UTC

In article <ij4raiF33egU1@mid.individual.net>, Bill Gunshannon
<bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> writes:

> >> And now finally the transfer has happened.
> >> In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
> >> It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
> >> (Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).
> >
> > Yes. Two of you (you know who you are) contacted me a few weeks ago
> > with specific requests. We can discuss the details by email. In the
> > next 4 weeks I plan not only to test out the new stuff but also to take
> > inventory of the stuff I already have. Although I will keep some stuff
> > I don't use for nostalgic reasons, some things I might want to pass on
> > to a good home, especially VAX-related stuff. Contact me by email if
> > you're interested in collecting something. I live near Frankfurt am
> > Main in Germany.
>
> Not meaning top pry, just curious as I have lived over there and
> made many a trip to Frankfurt but whereabouts. Still have friends
> in the area.

Neither of the two who know who they are are German or in Germany, but
somewhere where I will be travelling soon.

Re: Some machines obsolete

<ij6rmsFev5iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15533&group=comp.os.vms#15533

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:35:07 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 18:35 UTC

On 6/19/21 5:40 AM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

>>> Yes. Two of you (you know who you are) contacted me a few weeks ago
>>> with specific requests. We can discuss the details by email. In the
>>> next 4 weeks I plan not only to test out the new stuff but also to take
>>> inventory of the stuff I already have. Although I will keep some stuff
>>> I don't use for nostalgic reasons, some things I might want to pass on
>>> to a good home, especially VAX-related stuff. Contact me by email if
>>> you're interested in collecting something. I live near Frankfurt am
>>> Main in Germany.
>>
>> Not meaning top pry, just curious as I have lived over there and
>> made many a trip to Frankfurt but whereabouts. Still have friends
>> in the area.
>
> Neither of the two who know who they are are German or in Germany, but
> somewhere where I will be travelling soon.

Sorry, confusion. I was looking for something a little more detailed
about where, near Frankfurt you lived. I have a current friend in
Fechenheim and in the past visited the area from Mainz to Darmstadt
(even as far out as Würzburg) quite frequently. Of course, that was
as much as 50 years ago. :-)

bill

Re: Some machines obsolete

<salfaa$1rcn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15534&group=comp.os.vms#15534

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:07:54 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:07 UTC

In article <ij6rmsFev5iU1@mid.individual.net>, Bill Gunshannon

> >> Not meaning top pry, just curious as I have lived over there and
> >> made many a trip to Frankfurt but whereabouts. Still have friends
> >> in the area.
> >
> > Neither of the two who know who they are are German or in Germany, but
> > somewhere where I will be travelling soon.
>
> Sorry, confusion. I was looking for something a little more detailed
> about where, near Frankfurt you lived.

Maintal, which is between Frankfurt and Hanau.

> I have a current friend in
> Fechenheim

Fechenheim is one of the parts of Frankfurt closest to Maintal.

Re: Some machines obsolete

<ij7b5hFho8iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15535&group=comp.os.vms#15535

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 18:58:56 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 22:58 UTC

On 6/19/21 3:07 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

>>> Neither of the two who know who they are are German or in Germany, but
>>> somewhere where I will be travelling soon.
>>
>> Sorry, confusion. I was looking for something a little more detailed
>> about where, near Frankfurt you lived.
>
> Maintal, which is between Frankfurt and Hanau.
>
>> I have a current friend in
>> Fechenheim
>
> Fechenheim is one of the parts of Frankfurt closest to Maintal.

Yes, I remember Maintal. (I even know what it means :-)
Brings back pleasant memories. Haven't been their in person
since 2007 and everyday the chances of ever visiting again
get slimmer. My daughter was born in Germany (but not
anywhere near Frankfurt, Nord Rhein.) and to this
day still (technically) has dual citizenship.

bill

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Some machines obsolete