fortune: cpu time/usefulness ratio too high -- core dumped.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Font size in compose window?

SubjectAuthor
* Font size in compose window?Carlos E. R.
+- Font size in compose window?Andy Burns
+* Font size in compose window?Andy Burns
|`* Font size in compose window?Carlos E. R.
| +* Font size in compose window?Carlos E. R.
| |`- Font size in compose window?Carlos E. R.
| `* Font size in compose window?Andy Burns
|  `- Font size in compose window?Carlos E. R.
`* Font size in compose window?bad sector
 `* Font size in compose window?Carlos E. R.
  `- Font size in compose window?bad sector

1
Font size in compose window?

<kp6o1pF27u0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1527&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1527

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Font size in compose window?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:31:21 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:31 UTC

Hi,

I can control what font and sizes are used to display messages, but when
I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the size is
smaller.

Where can I change that size?

I'm using 115.3.1 in Linux.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp6p2iF23vjU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1531&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1531

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Font size in compose window?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:48:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:48 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I can control what font and sizes are used to display messages, but when
> I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the size is
> smaller.

I had a look, can't see anything in settings/general/fonts
or in settings/composition (it only claims to apply to html)

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp6q71F31c6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1534&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1534

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:08:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:08 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> when I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the
> size is smaller.
>
> Where can I change that size?

<https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1378599>

Not tried this, but I had noticed that when entering the advanced fonts
dialog, it does change the default font on the general page. I think
that link is saying return to the general page after setting the
advanced options, and then it will apply to plaint text composition?

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp6s84F27tvU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1536&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1536

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:42:59 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:42 UTC

On 2023-10-17 09:08, Andy Burns wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> when I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the
>> size is smaller.
>>
>> Where can I change that size?
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1378599>
>
> Not tried this, but I had noticed that when entering the advanced fonts
> dialog, it does change the default font on the general page.  I think
> that link is saying return to the general page after setting the
> advanced options, and then it will apply to plaint text composition?

The answer says: «Wow, thank you! I had different settings for Latin and
other writing systems. When I harmonised them to be the same, the font
size when composing non-HTML messages then reflected those settings -
which it hadn't before.»

No, I have the same settings in both latin and other, and both mono and
proportional, and they don't affect the compose in plain text window.

Maybe the "minimum font size" :-? Doesn't seem to have an effect in
plain text, unless I have to restart the program.

Maybe playing with the font family for monospace. That does have an
effect, but not on the size.

Ok, monospace size does have an effect. But then, when composing in
html,the fixed font is bigger than the proportional font, which I don't
like.

It can be seen by opening a reply here, in plain text, and another
compose mail in html, with a paragraph set to "fixed width", both
windows side by side.

I now have proportional to 16, mono to 18.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp6seaF27tvU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1537&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1537

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:46:18 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:46 UTC

On 2023-10-17 09:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-10-17 09:08, Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> when I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the
>>> size is smaller.
>>>
>>> Where can I change that size?
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1378599>
>>
>> Not tried this, but I had noticed that when entering the advanced
>> fonts dialog, it does change the default font on the general page.  I
>> think that link is saying return to the general page after setting the
>> advanced options, and then it will apply to plaint text composition?
>>

> The answer says: «Wow, thank you! I had different settings for Latin and
> other writing systems. When I harmonised them to be the same, the font
> size when composing non-HTML messages then reflected those settings -
> which it hadn't before.»
>

> No, I have the same settings in both latin and other, and both mono and
> proportional, and they don't affect the compose in plain text window.
>
> Maybe the "minimum font size" :-?  Doesn't seem to have an effect in
> plain text, unless I have to restart the program.
>

> Maybe playing with the font family for monospace. That does have an
> effect, but not on the size.
>
> Ok, monospace size does have an effect. But then, when composing in
> html,the fixed font is bigger than the proportional font, which I don't
> like.
>
> It can be seen by opening a reply here, in plain text, and another
> compose mail in html, with a paragraph set to "fixed width", both
> windows side by side.
>
> I now have proportional to 16, mono to 18.

The problem now is that the display font is bigger than the compose
font. Too big, when just reading mails. That's the real problem, it is
not using the same sizes in display pane or in compose window.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp6vdmF4060U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1541&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1541

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:37:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:37 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I have the same settings in both latin and other, and both mono and
> proportional

But do you have the same setting for default font on the
settings/general page without going down into advanced dialog?

There' something sketchy about which settings get read and/or written
between the general page and the advanced dialogue ... play with having
different fonts and sizes that you don't actually want, to see what I
mean ...

Re: Font size in compose window?

<JK-cnU1TUJsa7bP4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1546&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1546

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:31:19 -0400
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
 by: bad sector - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:31 UTC

On 10/17/23 02:31, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can control what font and sizes are used to display messages, but when
> I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the size is
> smaller.
>
> Where can I change that size?
>
> I'm using 115.3.1 in Linux.

Under splashma I just do Cntrl +/-

The INTUITIVE way would be right click bringing up dialog
"I want this window to use font XYZ". Better yet, toggle
to the wanted size and then on a right click "Use THIS".
Hello 'zillas, rocket science?

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp7i19F27tvU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1550&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1550

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:54:49 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:54 UTC

On 2023-10-17 09:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-10-17 09:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-10-17 09:08, Andy Burns wrote:
>>>
>>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> Maybe playing with the font family for monospace. That does have an
>> effect, but not on the size.
>>
>> Ok, monospace size does have an effect. But then, when composing in
>> html,the fixed font is bigger than the proportional font, which I
>> don't like.
>>
>> It can be seen by opening a reply here, in plain text, and another
>> compose mail in html, with a paragraph set to "fixed width", both
>> windows side by side.
>>
>> I now have proportional to 16, mono to 18.
>
> The problem now is that the display font is bigger than the compose
> font. Too big, when just reading mails. That's the real problem, it is
> not using the same sizes in display pane or in compose window.

I found out why: I had used (maybe days ago) "[Ctrl][+]" in the display
window, so "[Ctrl][0]" corrected it. Now letters have the same size as
in the compose window.

Strange that I have to use size 16, though (and 18 for monospace).

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp7i5dF27tvU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1551&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1551

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:57:00 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:57 UTC

On 2023-10-17 10:37, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> I have the same settings in both latin and other, and both mono and
>> proportional
>
> But do you have the same setting for default font on the
> settings/general page without going down into advanced dialog?

Yes.

> There' something sketchy about which settings get read and/or written
> between the general page and the advanced dialogue ... play with having
> different fonts and sizes that you don't actually want, to see what I
> mean ...

I had interference from having used days ago "[Ctrl][+]". Now everything
is alright.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Font size in compose window?

<kp7i8nF27tvU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1552&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1552

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:58:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:58 UTC

On 2023-10-17 13:31, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/17/23 02:31, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can control what font and sizes are used to display messages, but
>> when I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the
>> size is smaller.
>>
>> Where can I change that size?
>>
>> I'm using 115.3.1 in Linux.
>>

> Under splashma I just do Cntrl +/-

Yes, I did. That works well on the display pane, but the compose window
uses the default sizes everytime you open one. Thus the results of the
settings changes were not what I expected.

> The INTUITIVE way would be right click bringing up dialog
> "I want this window to use font XYZ". Better yet, toggle
> to the wanted size and then on a right click "Use THIS".
> Hello 'zillas, rocket science?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Font size in compose window?

<YA-dnWyZwP4PUK74nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1624&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1624

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:09:38 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:09 UTC

On 10/17/23 09:58, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-10-17 13:31, bad sector wrote:
>> On 10/17/23 02:31, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can control what font and sizes are used to display messages, but
>>> when I hit "reply" (in plain text mode), or type a new message, the
>>> size is smaller.
>>>
>>> Where can I change that size?
>>>
>>> I'm using 115.3.1 in Linux.
>>>

>> Under splashma I just do Cntrl +/-
>
> Yes, I did. That works well on the display pane, but the compose window
> uses the default sizes everytime you open one. Thus the results of the
> settings changes were not what I expected.
>

>> The INTUITIVE way would be right click bringing up dialog
>> "I want this window to use font XYZ". Better yet, toggle
>> to the wanted size and then on a right click "Use THIS".
>> Hello 'zillas, rocket science?

Yeh, I noticed that there is a long history of font-related complaints
in T-Bird. I gave up some time ago.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Font size in compose window?