Not only Guinness - Linux is good for you, too. -- Banzai on IRC

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Translate page popup

SubjectAuthor
* Translate page popupbad sector
+* Translate page popupNobody
|`* Translate page popupbad sector
| +- Translate page popupNobody
| `* Translate page popupVanguardLH
|  `* Translate page popupbad sector
|   +- Translate page popupVanguardLH
|   `* Translate page popupAndy Burns
|    `- Translate page popupbad sector
+- Translate page popupsub nasum tuum
`- Translate page popupAndy Burns

1
Translate page popup

<Qq2cnZnqdPgLf9v4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1507&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1507

Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 20:32:22 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: Translate page popup
 by: bad sector - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:32 UTC

I keep getting this with FF-119.0, it may have a use IF a user wants it
but like almost everything else certainly not by default!

Any 1 know how to get RID of it?

Re: Translate page popup

<4vpdkits609qnhk98bs1dqav67gaps1kqn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1508&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1508

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Translate page popup
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 17:55:15 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:55 UTC

On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 20:32:22 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
wrote:

>I keep getting this with FF-119.0, it may have a use IF a user wants it
>but like almost everything else certainly not by default!
>
>Any 1 know how to get RID of it?

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/website-translation>

Re: Translate page popup

<0KOdnVBOTsB2cNv4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1509&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1509

Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 21:20:43 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 01:20 UTC

On 11/4/23 20:55, Nobody wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 20:32:22 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I keep getting this with FF-119.0, it may have a use IF a user wants it
>> but like almost everything else certainly not by default!
>>
>> Any 1 know how to get RID of it?
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/website-translation>

I see no way to unconditionally disable the popup

Re: Translate page popup

<rordki1rf7pv2arucolt7r5u9g5dh7e9sp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1510&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1510

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 18:27:10 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 01:27 UTC

On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 21:20:43 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
wrote:

>On 11/4/23 20:55, Nobody wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 20:32:22 -0400, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I keep getting this with FF-119.0, it may have a use IF a user wants it
>>> but like almost everything else certainly not by default!
>>>
>>> Any 1 know how to get RID of it?
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/website-translation>
>
>I see no way to unconditionally disable the popup

Do some homework in about:config.

Or don't visit pages presented in other than your language of
choice...

Re: Translate page popup

<1a71wzpb0w13c$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1511&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1511

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 22:44:17 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 03:44 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> Nobody wrote:
>
>> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I keep getting this with FF-119.0, it may have a use IF a user wants it
>>> but like almost everything else certainly not by default!
>>>
>>> Any 1 know how to get RID of it?
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/website-translation>
>
> I see no way to unconditionally disable the popup

https://www.askvg.com/tip-enable-automatic-translations-feature-in-mozilla-firefox/

Found by searching on "firefox about:config browser.translations". I'm
on Firefox 119.0 on Windows 10 Home x64 22H2.

I don't have the browser.translations.enable setting, so the default
gets used whatever that is. For me, the translations feature is
enabled. I'd have to create the setting and set to false to disable all
translate features. I have been to foreign language sites, and use the
FF translate feature (instead of having to copy and paste to Google
Translate), so I know it's working (enabled).

I do have the browser.translations.autoTranslate, but it is set to false
(disabled). Automatic translation does not happen. I'd have to use the
toolbar button or the settings menu to instigate translation. That
setting is not bolded meaning false is the default in my FF. It would
get bolded if I changed it to true (to allow auto-translataion). Unless
it is a not-ready-for-primetime feature, I would've thought the default
would be true.

The above article is dated Sep 27, 2023. The greyed note at the start
says the feature was disabled by default. I'm on FF 119.0, but it still
looks like the auto-translate feature is disabled for me. Like you, I'm
not sure I want Firefox to shove popups in my face when I visit a
foreign language web page. I'd rather decided if and when to translate
a web page.

Re: Translate page popup

<RamdneE_yM4cidr4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1512&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1512

Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:05:21 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 04:05 UTC

On 11/4/23 23:44, VanguardLH wrote:
> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>
>> Nobody wrote:

>>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/website-translation>
>>
>> I see no way to unconditionally disable the popup
>
> https://www.askvg.com/tip-enable-automatic-translations-feature-in-mozilla-firefox/
>
> Found by searching on "firefox about:config browser.translations". I'm
> on Firefox 119.0 on Windows 10 Home x64 22H2.
>
> I don't have the browser.translations.enable setting, so the default
> gets used whatever that is. For me, the translations feature is
> enabled. I'd have to create the setting and set to false to disable all
> translate features. I have been to foreign language sites, and use the
> FF translate feature (instead of having to copy and paste to Google
> Translate), so I know it's working (enabled).
>
> I do have the browser.translations.autoTranslate, but it is set to false
> (disabled). Automatic translation does not happen. I'd have to use the
> toolbar button or the settings menu to instigate translation. That
> setting is not bolded meaning false is the default in my FF. It would
> get bolded if I changed it to true (to allow auto-translataion). Unless
> it is a not-ready-for-primetime feature, I would've thought the default
> would be true.
>
> The above article is dated Sep 27, 2023. The greyed note at the start
> says the feature was disabled by default. I'm on FF 119.0, but it still
> looks like the auto-translate feature is disabled for me. Like you, I'm
> not sure I want Firefox to shove popups in my face when I visit a
> foreign language web page. I'd rather decided if and when to translate
> a web page.

I set browser.translations.automaticallyPopup to false
but that just caused a crash every time I hit a french
site that I visit regularly

Then I changed browser.translations.enable to false too
and so far not many crashes.

The popup should have a button that says "I never
wanna see this crap again", it shouldn't be on by
default, period. I speak 4 languages, most auto
translation are so bad that they are *DANGEROUS*
and THEY should have the warning that comes with
about:config!

Re: Translate page popup

<1ewcnvm0e6rhe.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1513&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1513

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:23:15 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 05:23 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> On 11/4/23 23:44, VanguardLH wrote:
>> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

>>> I see no way to unconditionally disable the popup
>>
>> https://www.askvg.com/tip-enable-automatic-translations-feature-in-mozilla-firefox/
>>
>> Found by searching on "firefox about:config browser.translations". I'm
>> on Firefox 119.0 on Windows 10 Home x64 22H2.
>>
>> I don't have the browser.translations.enable setting, so the default
>> gets used whatever that is. For me, the translations feature is
>> enabled. I'd have to create the setting and set to false to disable all
>> translate features. I have been to foreign language sites, and use the
>> FF translate feature (instead of having to copy and paste to Google
>> Translate), so I know it's working (enabled).
>>
>> I do have the browser.translations.autoTranslate, but it is set to false
>> (disabled). Automatic translation does not happen. I'd have to use the
>> toolbar button or the settings menu to instigate translation. That
>> setting is not bolded meaning false is the default in my FF. It would
>> get bolded if I changed it to true (to allow auto-translataion). Unless
>> it is a not-ready-for-primetime feature, I would've thought the default
>> would be true.
>>
>> The above article is dated Sep 27, 2023. The greyed note at the start
>> says the feature was disabled by default. I'm on FF 119.0, but it still
>> looks like the auto-translate feature is disabled for me. Like you, I'm
>> not sure I want Firefox to shove popups in my face when I visit a
>> foreign language web page. I'd rather decided if and when to translate
>> a web page.
>
> I set browser.translations.automaticallyPopup to false
> but that just caused a crash every time I hit a french
> site that I visit regularly
>
> Then I changed browser.translations.enable to false too
> and so far not many crashes.
>
> The popup should have a button that says "I never
> wanna see this crap again", it shouldn't be on by
> default, period. I speak 4 languages, most auto
> translation are so bad that they are *DANGEROUS*
> and THEY should have the warning that comes with
> about:config!

I didn't bother with browser.translations.automatically Popup, just
looked at browser.translations.autoTranslate which is set to false (the
default since not bolded) for me.

Got any URLs to French sites I could use to test. I don't visit any
foreign language sites, just English, so I have none to test this new
translate feature. Only when I rarely hit a non-English site, and only
recently, did I use FF's translate feature, and then I manually
instigated the translate, because I remember FF had it added.

Re: Translate page popup

<xsG1N.601469$s52e.339437@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1514&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1514

From: sub.nasum.tuum@net.INVALID (sub nasum tuum)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 06:18:05 -0000
 by: sub nasum tuum - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 06:18 UTC

bad sector wrote:

> I keep getting this with FF-119.0, it may have a use IF a user wants it
> but like almost everything else certainly not by default!
>
> Any 1 know how to get RID of it?

Click the gearwheel icon in the top right corner of that pop-up
and turn off "Always offer to translate."

Re: Translate page popup

<kqp3qjF2gloU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1515&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1515

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:58:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:58 UTC

bad sector wrote:

> Any 1 know how to get RID of it?

next time you get the translate pop-up, click in the settings cog in the
top right.

Initially I thought I wouldn't like/want the in-browser translations
because for years I knew hw to use translation sites such as babelfish,
orr google translate, but now I'm finding the firefox translate quite
handy ... horses for courses.

Re: Translate page popup

<kqp401F2gloU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1516&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1516

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 09:01:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 09:01 UTC

bad sector wrote:

> I speak 4 languages, most auto
> translation are so bad that they are DANGEROUS

You can disable the pop-up per language or per website from the cog

Re: Translate page popup

<vQ6dnUVd6cRHENr4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1517&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1517

From: postit@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 12:43:06 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:43 UTC

On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 09:01:53 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> bad sector wrote:
>
>> I speak 4 languages, most auto translation are so bad that they are
>> DANGEROUS
>
> You can disable the pop-up per language or per website from the cog

I want to kill it off universally and unconditionally, think I've managed
that much (knock on wood)

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Translate page popup