The steady state of disks is full. -- Ken Thompson

computers / comp.mail.pine / How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

SubjectAuthor
* How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?Nicholas Saunders
+* Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?William Unruh
|`- Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?Lucas Levrel
`* Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?Eduardo Chappa
 `- Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?Nicholas Saunders

1
How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

<e81b4d84-4248-414c-b9af-fef1eecb6a5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=151&group=comp.mail.pine#151

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 13:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?
From: saunders.nicholas@gmail.com (Nicholas Saunders)
 by: Nicholas Saunders - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 20:00 UTC

I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some configuration so that the username for the operating system account is used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.

Why is this happening, generally?

How is the sender explicitly configured?

see also:

https://askubuntu.com/q/1350439/847449

Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

<sc54q2$meo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=152&group=comp.mail.pine#152

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 21:02:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 21:02 UTC

On 2021-07-07, Nicholas Saunders <saunders.nicholas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some configuration so that the username for the operating system account is used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.
>
> Why is this happening, generally?
>
> How is the sender explicitly configured?
>

> see also:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/q/1350439/847449

As far as I know, the pine/alpine name is the username of the account
that invoked pine/alpine.

There was a whole thread about this in this newsgroup about a month ago.

Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

<66db1055-324d-32e-05-778690a478a2@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=153&group=comp.mail.pine#153

From: chappa@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 20:45:20 -0600
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 02:45 UTC

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, Nicholas Saunders wrote:

> I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail
> client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some
> configuration so that the username for the operating system account is
> used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.
>
> Why is this happening, generally?
>
> How is the sender explicitly configured?

Dear Nicholas,

Alpine was designed to work in a place where the login name was the same
as the part before the @ symbol. That worked well for the University of
Washington at the time of their design, but it does not meet the needs of
current users who are not loginn in to an account related to the email
address they have. Because of that, you need to change the "From" header,
and there is an excellent explanation of how to do that in Nancy McGough's
page for Alpine that you can find here

http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/

(the directios are for Pine, but they apply perfectly to Alpine)

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

<97057ec4-1e16-442f-9c7e-2917133bb8ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=154&group=comp.mail.pine#154

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: saunders.nicholas@gmail.com (Nicholas Saunders)
 by: Nicholas Saunders - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 21:26 UTC

On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 19:45:23 UTC-7, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, Nicholas Saunders wrote:
>
> > I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail
> > client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some
> > configuration so that the username for the operating system account is
> > used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.
> >
> > Why is this happening, generally?
> >
> > How is the sender explicitly configured?
> Dear Nicholas,
>
> Alpine was designed to work in a place where the login name was the same
> as the part before the @ symbol. That worked well for the University of
> Washington at the time of their design, but it does not meet the needs of
> current users who are not loginn in to an account related to the email
> address they have. Because of that, you need to change the "From" header,
> and there is an excellent explanation of how to do that in Nancy McGough's
> page for Alpine that you can find here
>
> http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/
>
> (the directios are for Pine, but they apply perfectly to Alpine)
>
> --
> Eduardo
> https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
> http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

ah, thanks I'll look into how to use roles. Good link.

-Nick

Re: How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

<b9a63af-1dc7-8571-c55f-f56df5961d6d@u-pec.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=163&group=comp.mail.pine#163

From: lucas.levrel@u-pec.fr (Lucas Levrel)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 14:13:07 +0200
 by: Lucas Levrel - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 12:13 UTC

Le 7 juillet 2021, à 21:02, William Unruh a écrit :

> On 2021-07-07, Nicholas Saunders <saunders.nicholas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some configuration so that the username for the operating system account is used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.
>>
>> Why is this happening, generally?
>>
>> How is the sender explicitly configured?
>>

>> see also:
>>
>> https://askubuntu.com/q/1350439/847449
>
> As far as I know, the pine/alpine name is the username of the account
> that invoked pine/alpine.
>
> There was a whole thread about this in this newsgroup about a month ago.

See also thread "Setting ENVELOPE FROM" started on August 16. We still
don't know how Alpine gets this information from the system :-)

--
LL