We cannot command nature except by obeying her. -- Sir Francis Bacon

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?ka6uup
+* Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?David E. Ross
|`* Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?Richard Owlett
| `- Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?Andrew
+* Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?NFN Smith
|+* Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?David E. Ross
||`- Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?NFN Smith
|`- Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?ka6uup
`- Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?Dirk Fieldhouse

1
Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<uou6fh$2d2gu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1509&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1509

From: ka6uup@comcast.net (ka6uup)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:41:04 -0800
 by: ka6uup - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:41 UTC

I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
Chuck

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<uou8t2$2dhg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1510&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1510

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:22:26 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:22 UTC

On 1/25/2024 9:41 AM, ka6uup wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
> Chuck

Do you not backup your entire system?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

Paris mayor quits X platform, calling it a 'gigantic global sewer'.
Others characterize X (previously known as Twitter) as the place
where truth goes to die.

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<uou9f7$2dl3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1511&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1511

From: rowlett@access.net (Richard Owlett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:32:05 -0600
 by: Richard Owlett - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:32 UTC

On 01/25/2024 12:22 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 1/25/2024 9:41 AM, ka6uup wrote:
>> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
>> Chuck
>>

> Do you not backup your entire system?

Do know the difference between "answer" and "question"?
P.S. The above line meets definition of "question"!

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<uoufjf$264bl$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1512&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1512

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:16:47 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:16 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 01/25/2024 12:22 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 1/25/2024 9:41 AM, ka6uup wrote:
>>> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
>>> Chuck
>>>

>> Do you not backup your entire system?
>>

> Do know the difference between "answer" and "question"?
> P.S. The above line meets definition of "question"!

David was pointing out the reason MozBackup has been allowed to die.

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<uouldp$2fnm5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1513&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1513

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:56:06 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:56 UTC

ka6uup wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
> Chuck

Not in the form that in which it existed, with a UI. I believe that the
developer dropped the tool, because the frequency of changes became too
much to keep up with.

Basically, the only way of getting backups is getting a copy of your
profile folder. In Windows, that's the contents of
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey, which will include the profiles.ini file.

You can back up just the profile manually with the Windows Explorer by
copying to another location (even something like your Documents or
Downloads folder). Or if you have your backups set to grab your entire
user profile (including hidden folders), you can get it that way.

The tricky thing to doing things manually is that the AppData folder is
normally hidden in your Windows user profile. You can get to it with
the Explorer if you enter the full path name, although I've found faster
and easier to use the construct noted above that includes the
environment variable. The typing is less, and I don't have to get the
precise name that includes my user name. For backups (or at least
simple copying), some backup tools will ignore the contents of AppData
because that's all hidden, unless you explicitly include a direction to
include that, or set the backup tool to grab the entire contents of the
user profile.

Beyond copying, there's no available tool that allows for selection of
what you want to do in the way that MozBackup used to do. If you're
trying to recover a profile from a backup copy, and you want to do
something other than the entire profile, then you're limited to copying
individual files within the profile.

MozBackup was a great tool, and I'm sorry that it's gone.

Smith

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<uoumq5$2fv25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1514&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1514

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:19:47 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:19 UTC

On 1/25/2024 1:56 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
> ka6uup wrote:
>> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
>> Chuck

[snipped]

> Basically, the only way of getting backups is getting a copy of your
> profile folder. In Windows, that's the contents of
> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey, which will include the profiles.ini file.

[snipped]

If (as I have done) you have placed your profile in a non-standard
location, you can located it by selecting [Help > Troubleshooting
Information] on the SeaMonkey menu bar.

On the other hand, I backup my entire PC weekly. See my
<http://www.rossde.com/computer/computer_backup.html>.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

Paris mayor quits X platform, calling it a 'gigantic global sewer'.
Others characterize X (previously known as Twitter) as the place
where truth goes to die.

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<0c8f56ae-e455-0fbd-5e99-9f7a7852221e@comcast.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1515&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1515

From: ka6uup@comcast.net (ka6uup)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:48:32 -0800
 by: ka6uup - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:48 UTC

THANK YOU,
At last a real answer to my question.
I really appreciate it
Chuck
\NFN Smith wrote:
> ka6uup wrote:
>> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?
>> Chuck
>
> Not in the form that in which it existed, with a UI.  I believe that the
> developer dropped the tool, because the frequency of changes became too
> much to keep up with.
>
> Basically, the only way of getting backups is getting a copy of your
> profile folder.  In Windows, that's the contents of
> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey, which will include the profiles.ini file.
>
> You can back up just the profile manually with the Windows Explorer by
> copying to another location (even something like your Documents or
> Downloads folder).  Or if you have your backups set to grab your entire
> user profile (including hidden folders), you can get it that way.
>
> The tricky thing to doing things manually is that the AppData folder is
> normally hidden in your Windows user profile.  You can get to it with
> the Explorer if you enter the full path name, although I've found faster
> and easier to use the construct noted above that includes the
> environment variable.  The typing is less, and I don't have to get the
> precise name that includes my user name.  For backups (or at least
> simple copying), some backup tools will ignore the contents of AppData
> because that's all hidden, unless you explicitly include a direction to
> include that, or set the backup tool to grab the entire contents of the
> user profile.
>
> Beyond copying, there's no available tool that allows for selection of
> what you want to do in the way that MozBackup used to do.  If you're
> trying to recover a profile from a backup copy, and you want to do
> something other than the entire profile, then you're limited to copying
> individual files within the profile.
>
> MozBackup was a great tool, and I'm sorry that it's gone.
>
> Smith

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<up3jpd$3gcnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1516&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1516

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:58:50 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:58 UTC

David E. Ross wrote:
>> Basically, the only way of getting backups is getting a copy of your
>> profile folder. In Windows, that's the contents of
>> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey, which will include the profiles.ini file.
> [snipped]
>
> If (as I have done) you have placed your profile in a non-standard
> location, you can located it by selecting [Help > Troubleshooting
> Information] on the SeaMonkey menu bar.

Yes, there is a reason to install to a non-default location -- it makes
backups easier, and if you have reason to poke at the contents of your
profile, then that as well. I always forget that a check to Help ->
Troubleshooting information is good at revealing the exact location.

However, It's pretty rare that people use a non-default location, and if
you're working from the Windows Explorer, or if you have other reason to
specify a full path (e.g. configuring backups), reference via %APPDATA%
is the easiest way of getting there. Not only getting around that the
folder is normally hidden, but also that you don't have to account for
getting the exact path name correct, especially working around the
details of your user name.

Thus, if I'm writing direction to somebody whose precise path I don't
know, I don't have to do a bunch of extra text to explain "[substitute
your user name]", etc.

Smith

Re: Is there a replacement for Mozbackup?

<phmcndmJ7ek0Xyj4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1517&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1517

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 02:57:44 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 02:57 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:41, ka6uup wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a replacement for MozBackup?

What about FEBE
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_Environment_Backup_Extension>?

I was able to install its v10.4 after using the extension converter but
haven't tested it in this environment (it used to work fine a few years
ago, FF 24 or something).

Don't try the author's website, which is defunct and may now send you
any sort of unwanted garbage.

/df

--
London