From: Aoli@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Hair Tearing Share
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:52:05 -0700
 by: Aoli - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:52 UTC

Three laptops.

1) Win XP Pro #1
sharing folder

2) Win 7 Pro
shared folder seen and available read write.

3) Win XP Pro #2
does see and can read write Win 7 Pro Share.
does see and can read write other unmentioned computers, all Win 7 Pro.

PROBLEM !
My Network Placed
Entire Network
Microsoft Windows Network
MyWorkgroup
will not open my "MyWorkgroup" to show all on this workgroup

What is going on ? (Besides too many computers)

Re: Hair Tearing Share

<sb2r6m$673$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1503&group=alt.windows7.general#1503

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Hair Tearing Share
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:50:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:50 UTC

Aoli wrote:
> Three laptops.
>
> 1) Win XP Pro #1
> sharing folder
>
> 2) Win 7 Pro
> shared folder seen and available read write.
>
> 3) Win XP Pro #2
> does see and can read write Win 7 Pro Share.
> does see and can read write other unmentioned computers, all Win 7 Pro.
>
> PROBLEM !
> My Network Placed
> Entire Network
> Microsoft Windows Network
> MyWorkgroup
> will not open my "MyWorkgroup" to show all on this workgroup
>
> What is going on ? (Besides too many computers)

Inspired by this...

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/06/file-sharing-on-lan-with-two-routers.html

I can make a drawing

192.168.1.x 192.168.2.x

WAN --------- Router ------ RouterTwo ---- #4
------ #1 ---- #5
------ #2 ---- #6
------ #3 ---- #7

Computers #1 through #6 can see the Internet on the left.
That's what this configuration is good for. Internet.

But, can computer #3 and computer #6, exchange packets
with one another ? That is the question.

Now, let's try another way of wiring them. Which gives
one less usable port.

WAN --------- Router ---------------------+
------ #1 | #4 #5 #6
------ #2 | | | |
------ #3 RouterTwo (as "switch")

Or, if we were on a shopping trip, and buying the exactly
right item for the job, like this. At todays prices,
perhaps a switch has the same retail pricing as the
cheapest possible IPV4 router.

192.168.1.x 192.168.1.x

WAN --------- Router ------ Switch ------ #4
------ #1 ------ #5
------ #2 ------ #6
------ #3 ------ #7

Paul

Re: Hair Tearing Share

<mvkadgdrhcem01phq9iu5u872qhv82pk9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1506&group=alt.windows7.general#1506

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:57:38 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 03:57 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:50:29 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>Aoli wrote:
>> Three laptops.
>>
>> 1) Win XP Pro #1
>> sharing folder
>>
>> 2) Win 7 Pro
>> shared folder seen and available read write.
>>
>> 3) Win XP Pro #2
>> does see and can read write Win 7 Pro Share.
>> does see and can read write other unmentioned computers, all Win 7 Pro.
>>
>> PROBLEM !
>> My Network Placed
>> Entire Network
>> Microsoft Windows Network
>> MyWorkgroup
>> will not open my "MyWorkgroup" to show all on this workgroup
>>
>> What is going on ? (Besides too many computers)
>>

>Inspired by this...
>
>http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/06/file-sharing-on-lan-with-two-routers.html
>
>I can make a drawing
>
> 192.168.1.x 192.168.2.x
>
> WAN --------- Router ------ RouterTwo ---- #4
> ------ #1 ---- #5
> ------ #2 ---- #6
> ------ #3 ---- #7
>
>Computers #1 through #6 can see the Internet on the left.
>That's what this configuration is good for. Internet.
>
>But, can computer #3 and computer #6, exchange packets
>with one another ? That is the question.
>
>Now, let's try another way of wiring them. Which gives
>one less usable port.
>
> WAN --------- Router ---------------------+
> ------ #1 | #4 #5 #6
> ------ #2 | | | |
> ------ #3 RouterTwo (as "switch")

>Or, if we were on a shopping trip, and buying the exactly
>right item for the job, like this. At todays prices,
>perhaps a switch has the same retail pricing as the
>cheapest possible IPV4 router.
>
> 192.168.1.x 192.168.1.x
>
> WAN --------- Router ------ Switch ------ #4
> ------ #1 ------ #5
> ------ #2 ------ #6
> ------ #3 ------ #7

I expect the OP to come back and say, "Two routers?" :-)

I don't see any reference to a second router, BICBW.

--

Char Jackson

Re: Hair Tearing Share

<sb3ks5$hdj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1507&group=alt.windows7.general#1507

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 00:08:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 04:08 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:50:29 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Aoli wrote:
>>> Three laptops.
>>>
>>> 1) Win XP Pro #1
>>> sharing folder
>>>
>>> 2) Win 7 Pro
>>> shared folder seen and available read write.
>>>
>>> 3) Win XP Pro #2
>>> does see and can read write Win 7 Pro Share.
>>> does see and can read write other unmentioned computers, all Win 7 Pro.
>>>
>>> PROBLEM !
>>> My Network Placed
>>> Entire Network
>>> Microsoft Windows Network
>>> MyWorkgroup
>>> will not open my "MyWorkgroup" to show all on this workgroup
>>>
>>> What is going on ? (Besides too many computers)
>>>
>> Inspired by this...
>>
>> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/06/file-sharing-on-lan-with-two-routers.html
>>
>> I can make a drawing
>>
>> 192.168.1.x 192.168.2.x
>>
>> WAN --------- Router ------ RouterTwo ---- #4
>> ------ #1 ---- #5
>> ------ #2 ---- #6
>> ------ #3 ---- #7
>>
>> Computers #1 through #6 can see the Internet on the left.
>> That's what this configuration is good for. Internet.
>>
>> But, can computer #3 and computer #6, exchange packets
>> with one another ? That is the question.
>>
>> Now, let's try another way of wiring them. Which gives
>> one less usable port.
>>
>> WAN --------- Router ---------------------+
>> ------ #1 | #4 #5 #6
>> ------ #2 | | | |
>> ------ #3 RouterTwo (as "switch")

>> Or, if we were on a shopping trip, and buying the exactly
>> right item for the job, like this. At todays prices,
>> perhaps a switch has the same retail pricing as the
>> cheapest possible IPV4 router.
>>
>> 192.168.1.x 192.168.1.x
>>
>> WAN --------- Router ------ Switch ------ #4
>>

> I expect the OP to come back and say, "Two routers?" :-)
>
> I don't see any reference to a second router, BICBW.

When a painting arrives unfinished, I just doodle in
some graffiti.