Steal my cash, car and TV - but leave the computer! -- Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>

computers / alt.windows7.general / Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

SubjectAuthor
* Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerBoris
+- Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerAnt
+* Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerJohn K.Eason
|`* Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerBoris
| `* Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerJohn K.Eason
|  `* Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerBoris
|   +* Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerJohn K.Eason
|   |`- Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerBoris
|   `- Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerAnt
`- Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task ManagerStan Brown

1
Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<XnsAD5299FC25DDEnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=alt.windows7.general#1492

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:08:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:08 UTC

Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

In Windows Task Manager, the Processes tab, I End Process these two items:

ReflectUI.exe, Macrium Reflect UI Watcher
ReflectMonitor.exe, Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup

Within a minute, the two processes are back.

I have no Windows scheduled tasks or Macrium scheduled backups.

Startup tab (msconfig) has no startup items enabled.

Why do those two Macrium processes keep coming back after ending them?

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<F_CdnVRk8rExXE79nZ2dnUU7-TOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1493&group=alt.windows7.general#1493

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 18:20:12 -0500
 by: Ant - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:20 UTC

Turn their services.

--
Dang my body, bugs, and Suns! Go L.A. Clippers! :P
| |o o| |

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<memo.20210624003728.2440A@jeason.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1494&group=alt.windows7.general#1494

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:37 +0100 (BST)
 by: John K.Eason - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:37 UTC

In article <XnsAD5299FC25DDEnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris) wrote:

> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> *Date:* Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:08:16 -0000 (UTC)
>
> Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
>
> In Windows Task Manager, the Processes tab, I End Process these two
> items:
>
> ReflectUI.exe, Macrium Reflect UI Watcher
> ReflectMonitor.exe, Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup
>
> Within a minute, the two processes are back.
>
> I have no Windows scheduled tasks or Macrium scheduled backups.
>
> Startup tab (msconfig) has no startup items enabled.
>
> Why do those two Macrium processes keep coming back after ending
> them?

I suspect they're there so that you can mount Macrium images and pull files out of
them. If you right-click a Macrium image backup (.mrimg file) in Windows Explorer
the popup menu will show 'Explore' and 'Restore' as the first two entries on the
menu. Selecting Explore (or double-clicking the file) brings up a dialog asking you
to select a partition in the image and what drive letter you want to use to mount
it. The image then opens just like another drive in Windows Explorer without using
Macrium's UI at all.

--
Regards
John

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<XnsAD52B325F5A6Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1495&group=alt.windows7.general#1495

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:36 UTC

john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in

> In article <XnsAD5299FC25DDEnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
> nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris) wrote:
>
>> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> *Date:* Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:08:16 -0000 (UTC)
>>
>> Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
>>
>> In Windows Task Manager, the Processes tab, I End Process these two
>> items:
>>
>> ReflectUI.exe, Macrium Reflect UI Watcher
>> ReflectMonitor.exe, Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup
>>
>> Within a minute, the two processes are back.
>>
>> I have no Windows scheduled tasks or Macrium scheduled backups.
>>
>> Startup tab (msconfig) has no startup items enabled.
>>
>> Why do those two Macrium processes keep coming back after ending
>> them?
>
> I suspect they're there so that you can mount Macrium images and pull
> files out of them. If you right-click a Macrium image backup (.mrimg
> file) in Windows Explorer the popup menu will show 'Explore' and
> 'Restore' as the first two entries on the menu. Selecting Explore (or
> double-clicking the file) brings up a dialog asking you to select a
> partition in the image and what drive letter you want to use to mount
> it. The image then opens just like another drive in Windows Explorer
> without using Macrium's UI at all.

Yes, I do this quite often, and it works well.

But, why can't I kill it? What turns it back on, regardless what it is?

Thanks.

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<memo.20210624121903.5812A@jeason.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1497&group=alt.windows7.general#1497

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:19 +0100 (BST)
 by: John K.Eason - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:19 UTC

In article <XnsAD52B325F5A6Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
> [...]

> >> Why do those two Macrium processes keep coming back after ending
> >> them?
> >
> > I suspect they're there so that you can mount Macrium images and
> > pull
> > files out of them. If you right-click a Macrium image backup
> > (.mrimg
> > file) in Windows Explorer the popup menu will show 'Explore' and
> > 'Restore' as the first two entries on the menu. Selecting Explore
> > (or
> > double-clicking the file) brings up a dialog asking you to select
> > partition in the image and what drive letter you want to use to
> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in Windows
> > Explorer
> > without using Macrium's UI at all.
> >

> Yes, I do this quite often, and it works well.
>
> But, why can't I kill it? What turns it back on, regardless what

I presume (as Ant says) the Macrium service is checking periodically and turning
them back on. Try stopping the service and see if they come back.

--
Regards
John

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<XnsAD534D667FC8Dnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1499&group=alt.windows7.general#1499

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:36:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:36 UTC

> In article <XnsAD52B325F5A6Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
> nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris) wrote:
>
>> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> *Date:* Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
>>
>> john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in

>> two >> items:

>> > I suspect they're there so that you can mount Macrium images and
>> > pull
>> > files out of them. If you right-click a Macrium image backup
>> > (.mrimg
>> > file) in Windows Explorer the popup menu will show 'Explore' and
>> > 'Restore' as the first two entries on the menu. Selecting Explore
>> > (or
>> > double-clicking the file) brings up a dialog asking you to select
>> > partition in the image and what drive letter you want to use to
>> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in Windows
>> > Explorer
>> > without using Macrium's UI at all.
>> >

>> Yes, I do this quite often, and it works well.
>>
>> But, why can't I kill it? What turns it back on, regardless what
>> it is?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> *Date:* Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
>>
>> john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in

>> two >> items:

>> > I suspect they're there so that you can mount Macrium images and
>> > pull
>> > files out of them. If you right-click a Macrium image backup
>> > (.mrimg
>> > file) in Windows Explorer the popup menu will show 'Explore' and
>> > 'Restore' as the first two entries on the menu. Selecting Explore
>> > (or
>> > double-clicking the file) brings up a dialog asking you to select
>> > partition in the image and what drive letter you want to use to
>> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in Windows
>> > Explorer
>> > without using Macrium's UI at all.
>> >

>> Yes, I do this quite often, and it works well.
>>
>> But, why can't I kill it? What turns it back on, regardless what
>> it is?
>
> I presume (as Ant says) the Macrium service is checking periodically
> and turning them back on. Try stopping the service and see if they
> come back.

That must be it. But I'm denied access to stop the services.

Thanks.

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<memo.20210624191424.5812B@jeason.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1501&group=alt.windows7.general#1501

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:14 +0100 (BST)
 by: John K.Eason - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:14 UTC

In article <XnsAD534D667FC8Dnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris) wrote:

> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> *Date:* Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:36:35 -0000 (UTC)
>
> john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in
>
> > In article <XnsAD52B325F5A6Enospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
> > nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris) wrote:
> >
> >> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> >> *Date:* Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
> >>
> >> john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in

> these >> two >> items:

> backups.

> ending >> >> them? >> > >> > I suspect they're there so that you
> can mount Macrium images and >> > pull
> and
> Explore >> > (or
> select >> > a
> to >> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in
> Windows >> > Explorer
> >> >

> >> Yes, I do this quite often, and it works well.
> >>
> >> But, why can't I kill it? What turns it back on, regardless
> what >> it is?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> >> *Date:* Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
> >>
> >> john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in

> these >> two >> items:

> backups.

> ending >> >> them? >> > >> > I suspect they're there so that you
> can mount Macrium images and >> > pull
> and
> Explore >> > (or
> select >> > a
> to >> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in
> Windows >> > Explorer
> >> >

> >> Yes, I do this quite often, and it works well.
> >>
> >> But, why can't I kill it? What turns it back on, regardless
> what >> it is?
> >
> > I presume (as Ant says) the Macrium service is checking
> > periodically and turning them back on. Try stopping the service and
> > see if they come back.
>
> That must be it. But I'm denied access to stop the services.

Works here. Right-click Services and choose 'Run as Administrator.
Hilight Macrium Service and click the stop icon on the toolbar which will remove
the 'Running' Status entry.
The Startup Type will be shown as 'Automatic', so right-click, choose Properties
and set Startup Type to Disabled (or Manual if you want to start it at any time) in
the dropdown.
That's using W10 Professional. Don't know if the Home version is any different.
--
Regards
John

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<75udnTcb_NhWjEj9nZ2dnUU7-IOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1504&group=alt.windows7.general#1504

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:14:19 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:14 UTC

Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > I presume (as Ant says) the Macrium service is checking periodically
> > and turning them back on. Try stopping the service and see if they
> > come back.

> That must be it. But I'm denied access to stop the services.

Are you the admin of your Windows? It should work if you are. Another thing... If you run Reflect, it will autostart your services again. :(
--
Dang my body, elevated blood pressure, bugs, mutations, technology, computers, humans, birds, life, and Suns! Go L.A. Clippers! :P
| |o o| |

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<XnsAD53C3BF6CA62Borisinvalidinvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1505&group=alt.windows7.general#1505

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 02:14:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 02:14 UTC

> In article <XnsAD534D667FC8Dnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>,
> nospam@nospam.invalid (Boris) wrote:
>
>> *From:* Boris <nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> *Date:* Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:36:35 -0000 (UTC)
>>
>> john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk (John K.Eason) wrote in

>> these >> two >> items:

>> backups.

>> ending >> >> them? >> > >> > I suspect they're there so that you
>> can mount Macrium images and >> > pull
>> and
>> Explore >> > (or
>> select >> > a
>> to >> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in
>> Windows >> > Explorer

>> what >> it is?

>> these >> two >> items:

>> backups.

>> ending >> >> them? >> > >> > I suspect they're there so that you
>> can mount Macrium images and >> > pull
>> and
>> Explore >> > (or
>> select >> > a
>> to >> > mount it. The image then opens just like another drive in
>> Windows >> > Explorer

>> what >> it is?
>> >
>> > I presume (as Ant says) the Macrium service is checking
>> > periodically and turning them back on. Try stopping the service and
>> > see if they come back.
>>
>> That must be it. But I'm denied access to stop the services.
>
> Works here. Right-click Services and choose 'Run as Administrator.
> Hilight Macrium Service and click the stop icon on the toolbar which
> will remove the 'Running' Status entry.
> The Startup Type will be shown as 'Automatic', so right-click, choose
> Properties and set Startup Type to Disabled (or Manual if you want to
> start it at any time) in the dropdown.
> That's using W10 Professional. Don't know if the Home version is any
> different.

I'm on away from home and on my Windows 10 laptop.

You're talking about Services, not the Task Manager Processes. I hadn't
considered Services, but you're right. If I Stop Macrium Service, then
End Process in Task Manager, the Macrium process do not 'auto' start back
up. As I toggle Macrum Service on and off, the Macrium processes come
back, don't come back, depending the Macrium Service status.

As I said, I am away from home, from the Windows 7 machine that caused me
to ask this question, and won't be back to the 7 machine for 10 days or
so. There was no problem, I was just curious. On that machine, I do have
Admin rights, I just didn't think to enable and use them to get around
'access denied'. For some reason, the Windows 10 laptop didn't throw up
access denied at me. When I get home, I'll see how the Windows 7
machine reacts to the same instructions. Probably exactly the same.

Ant, I just didn't understand your first reply.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Can't Kill Macrium Processes in Task Manager

<MPG.3b3ef835fb7a97b098fde2@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1508&group=alt.windows7.general#1508

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:15:24 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 04:15 UTC

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:08:16 -0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:

> Why do those two Macrium processes keep coming back after ending them?

Run services.msc (part of Wimdows) and see whether those processes
are in fact services. If they are, I'll bet they're set to
"Automatic."

You can change them to Manual or Disabled, if their presence bothers
you. But I don't know enough about Macrium Reflect to know whether
that would prevent it from working when you actually want to perform
a backup.

You didn't tell us what percentage of CPU these processes use. Is it
enough to be a problem?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/