From: karl.schenck@gmx.net (KarlS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 10:44:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: KarlS - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 10:44 UTC

Hello everyone,
the latest Seamonkey version 2.53.18 for Windows 10 no longer allows the use
of some addons (corresponding to Firefox/Thunderbird 60.8.0).
The install.rdf file has been updated to a higher version of Seamonkey.
Can we expect all or even the latest addons to work in the near future?
Thanks and regards,
Karl

Re: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work

<unjkll$1gia2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1482&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1482

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 15:19:33 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:19 UTC

KarlS wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> the latest Seamonkey version 2.53.18 for Windows 10 no longer allows the
> use
> of some addons (corresponding to Firefox/Thunderbird 60.8.0).
> The install.rdf file has been updated to a higher version of Seamonkey.
> Can we expect all or even the latest addons to work in the near future?
> Thanks and regards,
> Karl

The thread "Seamonkey 2.53.18 and PrefBar" (David Ross, opened 30 days
ago) sort of adresses the same problem.

Re: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work

<l05evrFqeu8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1483&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1483

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:44:24 +0100
 by: frg - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:44 UTC

Andrew wrote:
> KarlS wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> the latest Seamonkey version 2.53.18 for Windows 10 no longer allows the use
>> of some addons (corresponding to Firefox/Thunderbird 60.8.0).
>> The install.rdf file has been updated to a higher version of Seamonkey.
>> Can we expect all or even the latest addons to work in the near future?
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Karl
>
> The thread "Seamonkey 2.53.18 and PrefBar" (David Ross, opened 30 days ago)
> sort of adresses the same problem.

What is broken will stay broken. We needed to take some, in 99% of the cases
really ancient, propritary or deprecated js syntax extensions and apis out to
be able to move forward. I am not aware of any major breakage because of this
between 2.53.17 and 2.53.18. Usually the affected add-ons can be fixed up
really easy do-it-yourself style

frg

Re: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work

<C0WdnV4teKSLBQD4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1484&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1484

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 19:01:41 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 19:01 UTC

Also, it may be possible to provide fixes/fix advice **if the broken
extensions of interest are named**.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work

<unrjg6$3ga4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1485&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1485

From: bill@spikowski.com (Bill Spikowski)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 09:48:38 -0500
 by: Bill Spikowski - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:48 UTC

For me, the most important broken extension is Eversync. It still works in Firefox, but in Seamonkey, it's no longer possible to log in to the Eversync server. (This may not be a problem caused by Seamonkey, but that's where it shows up...)

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> Also, it may be possible to provide fixes/fix advice **if the broken
> extensions of interest are named**.
>
> /df

Re: SM 2.53.18: some addons no longer work

<unrlu9$3gmad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1486&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1486

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:30:15 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:30 UTC

Bill Spikowski wrote:
> For me, the most important broken extension is Eversync. It still works
> in Firefox, but in Seamonkey, it's no longer possible to log in to the
> Eversync server. (This may not be a problem caused by Seamonkey, but
> that's where it shows up...)

But something that works in Firefox is code that's pretty much unrelated
to what runs in Seamonkey. Depending on the extension, if there are
Firefox and Seamonkey versions, the two may not have much in common
other than the name and the graphical display.

Remember that Firefox completely reworked its extensions structure.
That was introduced with Firefox 55, and when Quantum was fully released
with Firefox 57, the original structure of doing extensions via XUL was
deprecated. Since then, we have WebExtensions, which allows extensions
developers to develop simultaneously for both Chrome and Firefox.
However, WebExtensions capacity has not been adopted by Seamonkey, and
won't be at any time in the foreseeable future. The way I read the
notes that that's a project that's big enough to be beyond the available
time for the remaining Seamonkey developers. Personally, I had hopes
that we would eventually see that with Seamonkey 2.57, but I believe
that development work there has pretty much ended.

As for support for existing extensions, that's really the responsibility
of the extension developers. However, as far as I can tell, nearly all
the XUL extensions were done by developers writing for Firefox, and
where they had capacity to run in Seamonkey. There was almost nothing
written specifically for Seamonkey. Thus, when Firefox moved on, the
extension developers did, as well. Of the extensions I run, there might
be one that has been updated for Seamonkey (and other browsers that
still support XUL), but I don't remember which one.

For my own extensions, there have been several that I have been able to
tweak to continue running with current releases of Seamonkey, following
information picked up from this newsgroup. In particular, that's
FlashGot and PrefBar, but I haven't found quite the right fix for
Session Manager. And in the mail client, I'm finding that Mail Redirect
isn't working either, although I use that one infrequently enough that I
never noticed it missing until a few days ago.

As frg notes, for ongoing development, it's necessary to drop older
capacities, and I can live with that knowing that other extensions are
likely to break. I'm grateful for this newsgroup, so that I can find
the necessary tweaks to keep several extensions running, but reality is
that I get that more of those are likely to break in the future.

At that point, I'm willing to accept that for some things, I need to be
using another browser.

Smith