19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Scripts - help requested with this, please.

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Scripts - help requested with this, please.David Brooks

1
Re: Scripts - help requested with this, please.

<WzDGK.1040090$AS_9.114626@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14666&group=comp.sys.mac.system#14666

Subject: Re: Scripts - help requested with this, please.
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.computer.workshop
From: BDB@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 00:32:06 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 23:32 UTC

On 25/01/2019 13:48, jeremy wrote:
> In article <gashlmFq4e3U2@mid.individual.net>, jollyroger@pobox.com
> says...

> ClamXAV.

>>> You are the *FIRST* to admit that you have it on YOUR computer!
>>>
>>> Did you read this thread of mine?
>>
>> No, why?
>>
>>> It's a subscription service. I don't understand why have you "installed
>>> it countless times"?
>>
>> Nah. It's just an app. I have owned and used many computers in the last
>> decades. I don't keep track of trivial things like how many times I've
>> installed a harmless piece of software.
>
> At the risk of fanning the flames...
>

> I installed ClamXAV back in November I think on my macbook on which I am
> running Mojave and parallels 14 (and within which I run Win10)
>
> I have been having serious issues with my Win10 - slow program loading
> times, lacklustre performance, really slow to "sort itself out" after
> opening the lid when on battery power (I always simply shut the lid - no
> hibernate or other options used).
>
> I had installed ClamXAV as a trial - wasn't sure I wanted it but know
> that Clam is a well-regarded AV product so that I'd give it a whirl.
>
> As it wa a trial, it quickly became out of date - it kept prompting to
> download latest AV definitions (a good thign of course!) but as had no
> subscription I didn't bother. I couldn't find out how to prevent it from
> running automatically on boot-up of Mojave and couldn't find out how to
> deinstal it either.
>

> I ran a trial version of App Cleaner on Monday - it removed ClamXAV
> successfully.
>
> Since rebooting directly after, I have had none of the issues of
> performance that I was experiencing before (and have caused me a lot of
> lost time & frustration over the last couple of months). This was on
> Monday - I thought "give it a few days to make sure" - as I use this
> machine extensively every day I think I have probably proven a point -
> that (in my isolated case) ClamXAV was causing significant issues.
>
> I don't want to "feed the trolls" and have no idea if this is linked to
> the OP's assertions that the product should be avoided (and clearly, if
> they cannot have a good Facebook page they probably aren't deserving of
> anyone's custom, I can see that completely [1]) but thought it might be
> worth sharing.
>
> [1] this is where you might insert a smiley - you, dear reader, can
> decide [2]
> [2] As [1]

Hey! :-D

You may have noticed that I was accused of using a pseudonym to post
with YOUR name, Jeremy.

I'd be most grateful if you would assure folk that you are your own man!

TIA

--
Kind regards,
David B.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Scripts - help requested with this, please.