From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Skybuck's Super PC for 2023, All components present in appartment
! Finally ! :)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:51:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 00:51 UTC

On 9/22/2023 5:23 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> The motherboard package has a warning on it (can also been seen somewhere in my new 4 videos):
>
> A cancer and reproductive warning, a link to this website:
>
> https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/
>
> Now I already know motherboards can contain dangerous chemicals ?!
>
> Is there any reason to be worried ?!
>
> Venting should be enough on first use ?
>
> What do you know about this warning and what is ment here ? Under which conditions can this motherboard cause cancer or reproductive harm ?
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

For a motherboard, Proposition 65 would be triggered, if the motherboard
had lead metal used in it. They stopped using lead in the solder for
motherboards, a long time ago. Still, the label should be there,
to tell you to avoid handling the bottom solder layer of the motherboard.

This article, shows an example of a substitute material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

"Tin-silver-copper (Sn-Ag-Cu, or SAC) solders are used by two-thirds of
Japanese manufacturers for reflow and wave soldering, and by about 75%
of companies for hand soldering. The widespread use of this popular lead-free
solder alloy family is based on the reduced melting point of the Sn-Ag-Cu
ternary eutectic behavior"

You do not normally handle the bottom of the motherboard for that long.
You slide it into the case, and screw down the nine or so screw holes.

After that, you could still handle the back side of some plug-in board,
but some of those now, have a plastic cover over the back.

For some builds, the back plate may already be fastened to the motherboard.
Or, a back plate may come in the heatsink box. You have to read the
instructions and see which back plate they propose to use. The back plate
is stiff, and helps support the area around the CPU, to prevent flexure.
If you install the motherboard in the case too soon, you may miss the
step of installing a backplate that the cooler can screw into.

In any case, this stuff is not like acid burns. You don't have to
rush off and act like a chemical event just happened. Don't eat food
while touching the back side of circuit boards. Wash your hands before
eating. That should be sufficient care, for handling computer components.

Pros wear gloves while assembling customer machines, but this is to
avoid leaving fingerprints on shiny surfaces. The gloves are not
intended as a Proposition 65 solution.

Staff at work (like our lab tech), used to get a blood test for lead
exposure, every three months. That's to ensure they do not have
long term exposure to it. If lead shows up in their blood, they're
no longer allowed to use a soldering iron. It was much later, before
the tin-lead solder was removed from the lab.