1: No code table for op: ++post

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Reproducibility issue - was [Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco]

SubjectAuthor
* Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiascoRichard Owlett
`* Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiascoDirk Fieldhouse
 +* Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiascoNuno Silva
 |`- Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiascoNuno Silva
 `- Reproducibility issue - was [Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiascRichard Owlett

1
Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco

<un3eq6$365au$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1441&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1441

From: rowlett@access.net (Richard Owlett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 05:01:15 -0600
 by: Richard Owlett - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:01 UTC

Generally when I wish to save a newsgroup of search, I save it as a
sub-folder of "Local Folders". If I right-click on it, SeaMonkey
displays an option to delete that particular sub-folder. That's *GOOD*.

I recently goofed.
I saved it as a sub-folder of the newsgroup being searched.
Right-clicking does *NOT* give me the option to delete that sub-folder.

As I've had some problems related to the particular news server
involved, I will not attempt to resolve by unsubscribing/re-subscribing.

Where/how is that sub-folder stored?
Is there a purely local machine solution to my problem?

Thank you.

Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco

<_f2dndSXDLhdGAj4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1442&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1442

From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Subject: Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:05:02 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:05 UTC

On 03/01/2024 11:01, Richard Owlett wrote:> Generally when I wish to
save a newsgroup of search, I save it as a
> sub-folder of "Local Folders". If I right-click on it, SeaMonkey
> displays an option to delete that particular sub-folder. That's *GOOD*.
>
> I recently goofed.
> I saved it as a sub-folder of the newsgroup being searched.
> Right-clicking does *NOT* give me the option to delete that sub-folder.

In 2.53.18 I wasn't offered the opportunity to save a search folder to a
Newsgroup: only my network and local email folders were listed ion the
pull-down. The New [Sub]Folder... context menu item is not available for
newsgroup folders.

> Where/how is that sub-folder stored?
> Is there a purely local machine solution to my problem?

I'm sure there is. Have a look in the News subdirectory of your active
SM profile (while not using the profile). There should be a subdirectory
representing the NNTP server. Inside that directory, there should be a
subdirectory, probably with a .sbd extension, corresponding to your
search. Try moving that to a safe place away from the profile.

If that works (after starting SM with the profile), you can delete the
saved errant directory; or if you still wanted the search folder you
could delete the saved directory and re-create the folder as the right
subfolder; or possibly copying the saved subdirectory into the .sbd
directory representing the desired point in the Mail/Local Folders
hierarchy would have the effect of moving it there.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco

<un4s9a$3cg0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1443&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1443

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 23:58:18 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 23:58 UTC

On 2024-01-03, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:

> On 03/01/2024 11:01, Richard Owlett wrote:> Generally when I wish to
> save a newsgroup of search, I save it as a
>> sub-folder of "Local Folders". If I right-click on it, SeaMonkey
>> displays an option to delete that particular sub-folder. That's *GOOD*.
>>
>> I recently goofed.
>> I saved it as a sub-folder of the newsgroup being searched.
>> Right-clicking does *NOT* give me the option to delete that sub-folder.
>
> In 2.53.18 I wasn't offered the opportunity to save a search folder to a
> Newsgroup: only my network and local email folders were listed ion the
> pull-down. The New [Sub]Folder... context menu item is not available for
> newsgroup folders.

Both 2.49.5 and a 2.53.18b1pre I have around behave that way: you can't
select a newsgroup to save the search as a subfolder.

But, in both, if I don't select a folder, the new search folder is
created as a subfolder of (I suppose) the currently selected folder, so
I was able to have search folders show up as subfolders of newsgroups by
not selecting a folder in "Create as a subfolder of".

But I think I see a "Delete" entry in the context menu for these search
folders, so I need to test more.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco

<un60l2$3k5fh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1444&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1444

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:19:01 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:19 UTC

On 2024-01-03, Nuno Silva wrote:

> On 2024-01-03, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>
>> On 03/01/2024 11:01, Richard Owlett wrote:> Generally when I wish to
>> save a newsgroup of search, I save it as a
>>> sub-folder of "Local Folders". If I right-click on it, SeaMonkey
>>> displays an option to delete that particular sub-folder. That's *GOOD*.
>>>
>>> I recently goofed.
>>> I saved it as a sub-folder of the newsgroup being searched.
>>> Right-clicking does *NOT* give me the option to delete that sub-folder.
>>
>> In 2.53.18 I wasn't offered the opportunity to save a search folder to a
>> Newsgroup: only my network and local email folders were listed ion the
>> pull-down. The New [Sub]Folder... context menu item is not available for
>> newsgroup folders.
>
> Both 2.49.5 and a 2.53.18b1pre I have around behave that way: you can't
> select a newsgroup to save the search as a subfolder.
>
> But, in both, if I don't select a folder, the new search folder is
> created as a subfolder of (I suppose) the currently selected folder, so
> I was able to have search folders show up as subfolders of newsgroups by
> not selecting a folder in "Create as a subfolder of".
>
> But I think I see a "Delete" entry in the context menu for these search
> folders, so I need to test more.

Just checked: the "Delete" context menu entry shows up in 2.53.18 as
well, but doesn't appear in 2.49.5 (yesterday I must have looked for it
only under 2.53.18b1pre?).

But (in 2.49.5) the delete *key* works (that is, hit it with the search
folder you want to remove selected in the tree view).

--
Nuno Silva

Reproducibility issue - was [Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search Folder" fiasco]

<un6ikg$3monj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1446&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1446

From: rowlett@access.net (Richard Owlett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Reproducibility issue - was [Re: Recovering from a "Save as Search
Folder" fiasco]
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:25:02 -0600
 by: Richard Owlett - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:25 UTC

On 01/03/2024 10:05 AM, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 03/01/2024 11:01, Richard Owlett wrote:> Generally when I wish to
> save a newsgroup of search, I save it as a
>> sub-folder of "Local Folders". If I right-click on it, SeaMonkey
>> displays an option to delete that particular sub-folder. That's *GOOD*.
>>
>> I recently goofed.
>> I saved it as a sub-folder of the newsgroup being searched.
>> Right-clicking does *NOT* give me the option to delete that sub-folder.
>
> In 2.53.18 I wasn't offered the opportunity to save a search folder to a
> Newsgroup: only my network and local email folders were listed ion the
> pull-down. The New [Sub]Folder... context menu item is not available for
> newsgroup folders.

I cannot reproduce the problem _now_.
The filter criteria suggest it was created back in 2021.
[haven't yet shut down to pursue your suggestion]
Help->AboutSeaMonkey reports I'm currently running
"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4"
Who knows what version I had been running as I don't frequently update.