From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: MKBHD on iPhone v. Android
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 18:23:38 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:23 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

> In the end, he very correctly states that the real winner is everyone -
> as the competition breeds advancements in both domains.
>
> https://youtu.be/nHkKJ87FS6s

*If all you do is use the iPhone as a toy... you _should_ be satisfied*

If you are ignorant that *the iPhone has _ten times more exploits* than
Android, then, of course, the total lack of iOS security won't weigh in.
https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog

If you are completely ignorant that Apple only fully supports a single OS
release and worse - if you errantly think - as Jolly Roger does - that
Apple lied when they published their support document - then - of course,
you won't weigh the fact *iOS support is the _shortest_ in the industry*.
https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/
https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/

If you only use the iPhone as a barbie play house toy, then of course you
won't take into account the thousands of things the iPhone just can't do.

You'll only be dissatisfied when you try to do graphical wi-fi debugging.
Or when you try to orient the app icons the way you want them to be.

Or if you want to spoof your GPS location or run a system-wide firewall.
Or if you want to load a more private web browser like Ungoogled Chromium.

Or, when you try to use a graphical interface to download YouTube videos
without ads and being able to play and convert to any desired format.

Or if/when you want to or need to automatically record your phone calls.
Or if you want privacy/anonymity that only the Guardian Tor browser has.

If you don't care that there's no chance of privacy on an iPhone when
you're logged into the mothership 24/7/365, then you'll be happy with it.

If you don't care that Apple inserts a unique-to-you tracking ID into every
IPA you install, then you'll be happy with that additional lack of privacy.

Hell, if you don't mind that every message you send has to go through
Apple's servers, then again, that additional lack of privacy is just fine.

You'll be dissatisfied with the iPhone if you want portable memory too.
Or if you want to plug into that (newer) iPhone standard wired headphones.

You'll be happy with the iPhone if, when you search for apps, you don't
care about the child-like filters that Apple (and Google!) provide to you.

If you never want to torrent a file, you'll be happy with that child's toy.

If you never want to install an older app version that is no longer in the
app store, and which you didn't make a backup of, the iPhone works for you.

If you never want to install any app (that is on your iPhone) onto any
other phone (without the same AppleID), then the iOS child's toy is fine.

In short, if you don't do the thousands (upon thousands!) of rather useful
things that _every other operating system easily does - except for iOS_,
then you'll be perfectly happy playing with the barbie-doll iPhone you own.

In summary, the iPhone is a child's toy - but if that's all you need...
*You'll be happy with the iPhone - even though it has a toy OS*

Re: MKBHD on iPhone v. Android

<ud01en$h0uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14414&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14414

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 15:12:23 -0400
 by: Alan - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 19:12 UTC

On 2023-09-01 18:23, Wally J wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>> In the end, he very correctly states that the real winner is everyone -
>> as the competition breeds advancements in both domains.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/nHkKJ87FS6s
>

> *If all you do is use the iPhone as a toy... you _should_ be satisfied*
>
> If you are ignorant that *the iPhone has _ten times more exploits* than
> Android, then, of course, the total lack of iOS security won't weigh in.
> https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog

Wow. One sentence: both of it's alleged statements of fact...

....not factual.

> If you are completely ignorant that Apple only fully supports a single OS
> release and worse - if you errantly think - as Jolly Roger does - that
> Apple lied when they published their support document - then - of course,
> you won't weigh the fact *iOS support is the _shortest_ in the industry*.

The latest iOS is supported on phones going back 6 years.

> https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/
> https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases

Quote: "Now, most Macs still have a six to seven year update cycle, and
iPhones get five years of updates. These are actually some of the
longest timelines for this type of service in the industry."

> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/

Quote: "most Macs still receive six or seven years of upgrades, plus
another two years of updates"

> If you only use the iPhone as a barbie play house toy, then of course you
> won't take into account the thousands of things the iPhone just can't do.

Oh, cute! Did mommy take you to the Barbie movie?

> You'll only be dissatisfied when you try to do graphical wi-fi debugging.

Which literally 1 potential customer in 100,000 even knows what that is.

> Or when you try to orient the app icons the way you want them to be.

> Or if you want to spoof your GPS location or run a system-wide firewall.
> Or if you want to load a more private web browser like Ungoogled Chromium.
>
> Or, when you try to use a graphical interface to download YouTube videos
> without ads and being able to play and convert to any desired format.
>
> Or if/when you want to or need to automatically record your phone calls.
> Or if you want privacy/anonymity that only the Guardian Tor browser has.
>
> If you don't care that there's no chance of privacy on an iPhone when
> you're logged into the mothership 24/7/365, then you'll be happy with it.

But you'll happily log in to Pulse SMS's "mothership" to get the
features you CLAIM are the same as iMessage.

> If you don't care that Apple inserts a unique-to-you tracking ID into every
> IPA you install, then you'll be happy with that additional lack of privacy.

How does that affect your privacy?

> Hell, if you don't mind that every message you send has to go through
> Apple's servers, then again, that additional lack of privacy is just fine.

"We designed iMessage to use end-to-end encryption, so there's no way
for Apple to decrypt the content of your conversations when they are in
transit between devices."

> You'll be dissatisfied with the iPhone if you want portable memory too.
> Or if you want to plug into that (newer) iPhone standard wired headphones.

Because a small adapter is SUCH a chore!

> You'll be happy with the iPhone if, when you search for apps, you don't
> care about the child-like filters that Apple (and Google!) provide to you.

Literally billions of customers WANT those filters.

> If you never want to torrent a file, you'll be happy with that child's toy.

Again, ask 100 random people what a "torrent" is.