From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: medion mouse freezes up when not moving
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 03:51:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:51 UTC

On 9/3/2023 9:02 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> it seems to be a laser reading issue, the laptop is too black for it,
> also rotating mouse helped, hover mouse on wooden bed table works best

Is it an old mouse ?

Newer mice use an array sensor of some sort, and they
detect a difference between array pixels to detect movement.
This can make them a bit tolerant of surface finish, and
a newer mouse can work with surfaces that older ones cannot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_mouse

The really old mice, used a single sensor, and required
a "gridded mouse pad with precise optical properties".
You could print a grid onto a piece of paper, and I think
the old mouse could pick that up.

I think all my mice here, have the cheap array sensor in them.
When you look at the sensor (if you have a mouse open for
inspection), the plastic looks like it was made in a mold
and no care is taken in the fit and finish of the sensor plastic.
Yet, this does not affect the properties of the bottom surface,
and the finish on the bottom of it is OK.

*******

If the mouse is functional, it should work on a wooden surface.
There should be plenty of contrast for the array to work with there.

The light source is turned down, if the array senses the mouse
is elevated off the intended surface. That's a newer mouse. My
mouse with the red light source, does not bother doing that and
runs at constant intensity. The mouse also does not "wake up"
if you bump the mouse. The only way to wake the computer from
sleep with that mouse, is to click one of the buttons, a feature
I like.